Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
The Shiny Challenge
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
This thread is a place to post all challenges. All challenges on this site need to be SessKag. If you have any questions contact a moderator.
Go to bottom Favoured: 9
TOPIC: The Shiny Challenge
*~*Missy*~*
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 20
Are you going to be adding more prompts to this Stella?

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 46
Mistress of Rave wrote:
Are you going to be adding more prompts to this Stella?

Yes, I will be adding more until I state otherwise. Though, I changed the frequency in this one to a prompt per month. Well, most of my challenges are always open anyway.

Logged Logged

*~*Missy*~*
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 20
YAY! I was hoping so, i do wish to thank you, your prompts have been so helpful in writing my story The Things This Sesshoumaru Would Do. Which got nominated for best parody/humor, my first nom i'm so excited, so i have you partially to thank my dear! For being a constant source of inspiration

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 46
Mistress of Rave wrote:
YAY! I was hoping so, i do wish to thank you, your prompts have been so helpful in writing my story The Things This Sesshoumaru Would Do. Which got nominated for best parody/humor, my first nom i'm so excited, so i have you partially to thank my dear! For being a constant source of inspiration

I shall provide you with prompts forever more!
And congrats on your first nom!

Logged Logged

JeniNeji
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 21
Here are my entries:

Story: His Retainer
Rated:T
Words:100

Emerald
Sapphire
Diamond
Ruby

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 46
Great work, ladies! Next Shiny entry: Pearl!

The word Pearl is derived from the Latin word "pirum" which means "pear" reflecting the shape of the gem. Pearls are born from oysters complete -- with a shimmering iridescence, lustre and soft inner glow unlike any other gem on earth. They are formed due to a secretion of shelly substance around some irritating foreign particle. The idea that Pearls are symbolic of tears arose from this fact, and illustrates the old adage that the most noble achievements have their origin in painful and enduring effort. Pearls are considered unfortunate for those in love and, if worn by the married, signified "torrents of tears". For this reason pearls are seldom used in engagement rings, even at the present day.

Amongst all nations, Pearls have always been considered the most beautiful products of nature, but having their origin in a living organism cannot be called a precious stone. Among Eastern nations, pearls are credited with the power of preserving the purity of their wearers, and as an emblem of maidenly purity. The Romans also set a high value on Pearls, consecrating them to Isis, and wearing them for her favours. Pearls were also made into a decoction with distilled water and given to lunatics to restore their reason. In China, Pearls are powdered and taken as medicine for syncope and stomachic ailments. Australian people believed the natural gem had supernatural powers, even using them in dream interpretation.

The ancient Egyptians prized pearls so much they were buried with them. Cleopatra reportedly dissolved a single pearl in a glass of wine and drank it, simply to win a wager with Mark Antony that she could consume the wealth of an entire nation in just one meal. In many countries pearls were worn as a declaration of wealth and power, and also used as a talisman to bring good fortune, to ward off evil spirits and to cure illnesses. Pearls were symbolic of purity, chastity and feminine charm. During the Dark Ages, while fair maidens of nobility cherished delicate pearl necklaces, gallant knights often wore pearls into battle. They believed the magic of these lustrous gems would protect them from harm. The Renaissance saw the royal courts of Europe awash in pearls. Because pearls were so highly regarded, a number of European countries actually passed laws forbidding anyone but the nobility to wear them.

It is composed of microscopic crystals of calcium carbonate, aligned perfectly with one another, so that light passing along the axis of one crystal is reflected and refracted by another to produce a rainbow of light and color. High-lustre pearls are bright, and have a deep-seated glow. They reflect objects near them clearly. Saltwater cultured pearls display a fascinating array of colors, the entire spectrum, in fact: from white to black, and virtually every color in between. As a general note when making suggestions: rosé and silver/white pearls tend to look best on fair skins, while cream and gold-toned pearls are more flattering to darker complexions. Japanese Akoya cultured pearls come in rose, silver/white, cream, gold, and blue/gray.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/05 04:58 By Stella Mira.

*~*Missy*~*
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 20
Here is my entry for pearl!

www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/7867/172

Rated MA, no Kiddies

Logged Logged

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 49
Here's my entry for "Pearl"!

Title: Solaris
Rated: T
Chapter 115

Logged Logged

I claimed Midoriko`s Hair in the Claim Game!

Dokuga Minions Unite! Be positive. Be proud. Show support for Dokuga!
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 46
New Shiny entry: Amethyst!

The name amethyst derives from the ancient Greek word ‘amethustos’, meaning sober. It was said that an amethyst could prevent the bearer from becoming excessively drunk and also instills a sober and serious mind. It was believed that if a person drank from a cup or goblet made entirely of amethyst, he or she would not get drunk at all. Amethyst has been a prized gem for centuries. During the Renaissance, Amethyst has stood for humility and modesty. Throughout the ages, powerful and rich monarchs have used Amethyst as a symbol of royalty. It is the birthstone for Pisces and the month of February, and the gemstone for the 6th anniversary of marriage. The stone is included in royal collections all over the world, from ancient Egypt to the British crown jewels. Ancient Egyptians used the stone as the representative of the zodiac sign of the goat. The goat was considered the enemy of vines and vineyards, and therefore the antidote of wine.

According to Greek mythology, Amethyst was a young virgin who became the object of wrath of the Greek God Dionysus after he became intoxicated with red wine. When Amethyst cried out to Goddess Artemis for help, she immediately turned the girl into a white, shimmering stone (quartz). When Dionysus realized what had happened and felt remorse for his actions, his tears dripped into his goblet of red wine. The goblet overturned, and the red wine spilled all over the white rock, saturating it until it became the purple quartz that is now known as Amethyst.

Amethyst has been thought to have many attributes throughout history, and all of them are good. The stone was thought to control evil thoughts, quicken intelligence, make a shrewd man in business, preserve soldiers from battle wounds, aid the warrior to victory, help the hunter in search of his game, protect the wearer from contagious diseases, and put demons to flight if the figure of a bear is inscribed on the jewel. Amethyst was known as a gem that would bring forth the highest, purest aspirations of human kind. Chastity, sobriety, and control over one’s thoughts were all attributes heightened by wearing the stone. The gem would guard against the anger of passion, and the violent or base nature of its wearer. The stone encouraged calm, bravery, and contemplation.

Historically, the stone was believed to assist prophecy and visions and to bring riches and powers to its owners. It has always been associated with the civil and religious classes that have ruled human cultures. In the Chinese philosophy of Feng Shui, the amethyst enhances the wealth corner focusing on the giving and receiving of material wealth. At the highest level, amethyst bestows the spiritual understanding required to reach the state of bliss. It is associated with the crown chakra at the top of the head where divine essence enters. It is a good stone to solve discord, suggested for children and warring relatives. In Renaissance magic, an amethyst engraved with the image of a bear was worn as a protective amulet. In Graeco-Roman times, rings of amethyst set in bronze were worn as charms against evil, and magical cups carved from amethyst banished sorrow and evil from all who drank.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/05 04:59 By Stella Mira.

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 49
Here's my entry for "Amethyst"!

Chapter 123

Logged Logged

Dragon'sPassion
Pup
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
My first entry for emerald.

www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/8770/5

Logged Logged
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 46
@Dragon'sPassion: Welcome to the Shiny Challenge, Dragon! *throws confetti*

New Shiny Entry: Alexandrite!

Alexandrite is the birthstone for the month of June and the Anniversary stone for the 55th year of marriage. It is also considered Friday’s stone, or the stone of “Friday's Child.” It is an extremely rare gemstone and a fairly modern one to boot. Despite its short history, this remarkable gem has already been ascribed with a variety of magical and mystical properties. Alexandrite is the stone of duality. Green or red, good luck or misfortune, the significance is interpretive and related to the social and historical context of the time and the culture. Forever changing its colors, alexandrite is a magical gemstone with universal appeal that continues to fascinate and be admired by astrologers, scientists, and gem lovers throughout the world.

Since the discovery of alexandrite, the gemstone has been thought to bring luck, good fortune and love. In Russia, it is considered to be a stone of very good omen. It is believed to bring balance in the interaction between the physical manifest world and the unmanifest spiritual, or astral world. It opens the crown chakra, bringing one access to the warm, healing energy and love of the universe. It is also said to strengthen intuition, creativity, and imagination. Alexandrite encourages romance. It is also said that through the stone, joy enters the lives of people with too much self-discipline. The stone reminds us of our purpose in life and our origin. It gives hope to those who are in despair about their lives. It brings strength and constantly reminds them of the light.

In Indian, or Vedic, astrology, Alexandrite is associated with the planet Mercury -- the trickster. Alexandrite's ability to change color and its obviously dual nature is further associated with the zodiac sign of Gemini, which is a sign ruled by Mercury. Mercury is the fastest moving of the planets. It shows how quickly we can change our thoughts, and how fast our thoughts travel. In occult thought, Mercury represents both the messenger and the magician. It connects the mortal or ego self, the intuitive, or lower self, and the higher divine self. As Mercury is associated with air, alexandrite is an air stone and so connected to the throat chakra. But, because of its duality in color, it has also been associated with the heart, the solar plexus, and the crown chakra. Mercury also represents the power of the mind, our ability to think, perceive, and communicate and it rules over the power of our words and how we use them. It is the planet most associated with the rational world.

In magic, alexandrite can be used alongside other Mercury ruled objects to cast spells that enhance communication, mental clarity, memory, and perception. It can be used in meditation, to promote emotional balance, and to bring about change, happiness, and success. It is thought to be most powerful when the sun's rays are shining on it and is reportedly useful for astral travel. And finally, as the planet Mercury is associated with the color green this is another reason why alexandrite is seen as a Mercury stone. However, since alexandrite can be green or red, it has also been connected with the planet Mars, which corresponds to red. This is why some references also associate alexandrite with the zodiac sign of Scorpio, which is ruled by Mars.

The caduceus symbol used for doctors and medicine is also a Mercury symbol and Mercury is associated with healing and was originally the god of medicine. Therefore, alexandrite is a healing stone. As the planet Mercury corresponds to the mind and the nervous system, alexandrite is specifically associated with balancing the mind and helping to achieve calm and is recommended as an anti stress and choleric amulet. Alexandrite is said to be useful for overcoming a lack of confidence, low self-esteem, and a lack of direction or focus in life. Meditating with the stone is supposed to help identify goals and plan how to begin working towards them. Alexandrite is also purported to relieve spleen and pancreal problems and to help treat swollen lymph nodes.

Cat's eyes are associated with Ketu, or the south node of the Moon (the point opposite that point where the Moon's orbit crosses the apparent path of the Sun). Therefore, the cat's eye version of Alexandrite corresponds to the south node. The cat's eye version of Alexandrite is also associated with the zodiac sign Pisces and the element of water. Cat's eye gemstones should be worn when there are obstacles in business, or a fear of accidents. They bring strength, brightness, bravery, pleasure, bliss, and prosperity. In India, they are believed to save one from enemies and to lessen sorrow, poverty, diseases and calamities as well guarding against evil spirits, hidden enemies, and royal punishment. Alexandrite is said to help finding lost money and to bring luck in gambling.

Apart from astrology, green is the color of revival, hope, prosperity, rest, peace, calm, and fertility where as red is the color of blood, energy, activity, self-expression, power, aggression, and passion. This combination means that alexandrite is a symbol of love and jealousy at the same time. In its daytime appearance, it corresponds to luck and good fortune and at night, its appearance it is more closely associated with love. Some believe that an alexandrite in hand can help clarify doubts about love and marriage.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/05 05:00 By Stella Mira.

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 46
New Shiny Entry: Aquamarine!

Aquamarine is the birthstone for the month of March. The seawater color of aquamarine has given this gemstone its name as the name “aquamarine” is derived from the Latin word for seawater. Aquamarine is a valued gem of ancient lineage. In the 19th century, sea green varieties of the stone were the most popular, but today, the more blue the color, the more valuable the stone.

There are many myths and legends about the aquamarine stone. The Romans believed that if the figure of a frog were carved on an aquamarine, it served to reconcile enemies and make them friends. Another Roman legend stated that the stone absorbs the atmosphere of young love: “When blessed and worn, it joins in love, and does great things.” Aquamarine was also considered the most appropriate morning gift to give to a bride by her groom following the consummation of their marriage. The Greeks and the Romans knew the aquamarine as the sailor’s gem, ensuring the safe and prosperous passage across stormy seas. In Medieval times, the stone was thought to reawaken the love of married couples. It was also believed to render soldiers invincible.

The Sumerians, Egyptians, and Hebrews also admired and valued aquamarine greatly. It was a symbol of happiness and everlasting youth. William Langland’s “The Vision Concerning Piers and the Plowman,” from 1377, mentions the aquamarine as an antidote for poison. This antidote was widely known throughout Europe. Because there was a wide amount of poisonings amongst royalty at the time, the gem was in popular demand just for that purpose. It was not necessary to pulverize the stone, as it was/ is with other gemstones. Simply wearing the stone as a pendant or in a ring was just as effective.

Writers of the middle Ages claimed aquamarine was the most popular and effective of the “oracle” crystals. When cut as a crystal ball, it was thought to be a superior stone for fortune telling. Many methods of using the stone as a divining tool were described in ancient literature. One method involved hanging a stone by a thread over a bowl of water, just touching the surface. The inner edge of the bowl was covered with the characters of the alphabet. The diviner was to hold the top of the thread and allow the stone to hit certain letters, which would spell out answers to an important question, sort of like a ouija board. Another method was to cast a crystal into a bowl of pure water. The disturbances in the water would reveal messages on the surface of the liquid. Aquamarine’s powers of revelation were also said to help one in search for lost or hidden things.

According to folklore, aquamarine would bring victory in battles and legal disputes. The gem was also credited with curing belching and yawning and was considered especially effective for curing ailments of the jaws, throat, stomach, liver and toothaches. Aquamarine was also used in ceremonies in the belief that it would bring rain when needed, or visit drought upon their enemies. When worn as an amulet, it was believed to bring relief of pain and to make the wearer friendlier, quicken the intellect and cure laziness. The ancient philosopher Pliny paid tribute to this gem of vitality, stating, “the lovely aquamarine, which seems to have come from some mermaid’s treasure house, in the depths of a summer sea, has charms not to be denied.”

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/05 05:00 By Stella Mira.

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 49
Here's my entry for "Alexandrite"!

Chapter 132

Logged Logged

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Here's my entry for "Aquamarine"!

Chapter 141

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Lovely entries, Aviel-chan!
New Shiny Entry: Amber!

Because amber both contains plant & animal life, it was thought to be a vessel of eternal youth. Inside the plant material and insects it has encapsulated, strands of DNA--life's basic code--are also captured. This is why amber is often referred to as a "Window to the Past." Historically, amber is tied to preservation. Amber has been located in Egyptian tombs, where it was probably used not as adornment, but rather as a powerful desiccant (preservative). In Neolithic times, this -Gold of the North- served as a sacred symbol of the sun. Entrapped insects also led to the belief that pieces of amber are the resting places of departed souls. Amber was first worn as a talisman of good luck. It serves as a symbol of renewal in marriage & continued fidelity. It also represents an everlasting bond of eternal love. In some cultures, it evokes eternal life & youth. Amber has always been association with good luck & general protection, particularly the ability to ward of the evil eye. In dreams, amber signifies a voyage. It also represents the tenth wedding anniversary.

The Slavic tribes thought amber magical because of its warm feel, its lightness and luster. Some believed amber was the petrified tears of gods. In Lithuania, an amber necklace was placed around a child to prevent kidnapping. Amber extends general protection to the wearer, especially children. Beaded amber necklaces are still a traditional gift for a child. In Latvia, bands of amber rings were used in wedding ceremonies to ensure an eternal bond. Today, amber represents renewed fidelity in marriage.The Phoenicians, Etruscans and Romans believed amber warded off evil spirits. The Chinese burned chunks of raw amber as a sign of their wealth. In addition, amber was thought to be associated with fiery dragon's blood.

In some Greek myths, amber represents the tears of Apollo's daughters. Alternately, some Greeks believed amber was solidified sunshine, broken away from the heavens and sunk into the sea. Priestesses wore beads of amber as a confirmation of the exalted energy stored in these beautiful stones. In classical times, amber was once crushed and eaten with honey as a cure for headaches and toothaches. Amber beads were thought to protect the wearer from rheumatism, toothache, rickets and jaundice. Copernicus listed amber as an ingredient in his healing cordial. Roman citizens carried amber beads in their hands to cool them during the summer heat.

Roman women played with amber in the same way we might use a -worry-stone- today. This extended contact with amber was believed to promote a youthful look. Amber amulets were worn to enhance fertility. Gladiators sewed pieces of amber into their clothing for success in fighting. In Pomerania, an amber necklace was a mandatory object for a bride-ideally, the largest bead should contain an inclusion (flora or fauna fossil). Amber incense was burned in churches and amber was sometimes left on the collection plate in place of coins. On St. John's Night, amber was thought to chase away evil spirits and was generally worn for protection. Native Americans believed that amber represents the East Wind, the wind of Grandfather Sun, creation and new beginnings-sunstone. In contrast, in Finland, amber is known as "sea-stone."

Amber acid is a bio-stimulant and has been used for ages to promote healing. Amber fights depression, and serves as a magnet to attract joy to the wearer. Amber allows the body to heal by absorbing and transmuting negative energy into positive energy (ions). It is believed that wearing amber brings purification of mind, body and spirit. New Age practitioners believe amber opens the 3rd Chakra (solar plexus). This is thought to provide mental clarity, balance moods & instill confidence in the wearer. Amber, especially the inhalation of amber incense or vapors, has a long history of medicinal use. It was used well into the nineteenth century throughout Europe for medicinal purposes & is still used in Russia. It was said to protect one from ailments of the throat as well as a host of other maladies.

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
New Shiny Entry: Bloodstone

Bloodstone, as the name suggests, has a long history of association with blood. In the past, the mineral was also known as “heliotrope,” from the Greek word “helios” for sun, and the word “trope” for direction or turn. Literally, the name means “sun-turning.” This comes from an ancient belief that a bloodstone immersed underwater can turn the water reddish so that the reflections cast on it by the sun are rendered as bloody red images. The power to cause natural phenomena like thunder and lightning was also attributed to this mysterious-looking stone. By the Middle Ages, the myths surrounding the stone have gained religious undertones. The drops of red is believed to be the blood of Jesus Christ that flowed from His wounds to a piece of jasper below the cross. With this myth, people have started regarding the bloodstone as a symbol of martyrdom and sacrifice, calling it The Martyr’s Stone.

People also found other uses for this special stone. Along with aquamarine, bloodstone symbolizes strength and healing. Warriors and athletes alike treasure the stone for its power to increase physical strength and to calm anxieties. It is also believed to stop the flow of blood from wounds and prevent hemorrhages. It is for this reason that warriors of old carry bloodstones around for safe-keeping. Bloodstone is also used to help pregnant women or nursing animals. It can be used to help bullied or teased children. Bloodstone attracts money and/or prosperity. Diseases of the blood, like anemia, blood circulation problems, and menstrual symptoms can be relieved through the use of this stone. Bloodstone is an extremely good cleanser for the whole body, especially if detoxification is needed.

Other uses include psychological ones. Possession of a bloodstone can help increase self-appreciation and self-confidence, and it also gifts the owner with clarity of thought and wealth-attraction. It can also promote love among family members and can help guarantee success in legal matters. Bloodstone is the stone of Single Parents and good to use if you are the sole caretaker for someone. It can be used for past life exploration, especially through dreams. Bloodstone is good for all goddess rituals.

Logged Logged

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Here's my entry for "Amber"!

Chapter 147

Logged Logged

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Here's my entry for "Bloodstone"!

Chapter 153

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Next Shiny Entry: Onyx

Onyx is the Mystical birthstone for the month of December. It is also the birth stone for the Zodiac sign of Leo. Onyx is also given on the 7th and 10th wedding anniversary. Onyx is a chalcedony quartz that is mined in Brazil, India, California and Uruguay. It has a fine texture and black color; however some onyx also displays white bands or ribbons against a black or brown background and this variety is known as sardonyx. The name comes from the Greek word onyx which means nail of a finger or claw. Legend says that one day while Aphrodite was sleeping Eros cut her fingernails and left the clippings scattered on the ground. Because no part of a heavenly body can die, the gods turned them into stone which later became known as onyx.

Onyx is a protective stone worn when facing adversaries in battles of conflicts of all kinds, or while hurrying down a dark street late at night. In classical ceremonial magic, the image of the head of the god Mars or a figure of the hero Hercules was engraved on onyx and carried for courage. Indians and Persians believed that wearing onyx protected them from the evil eye, and that placing onyx on the stomach of a pregnant woman in labor would reduce the labor pain and bring on earlier delivery. Onyx is not only used for protection, but also as defense against negativity consciously directed towards you. It has also been used to reduce uncontrollable sexual impulses.

The close union and yet strong contrast between the layers of black and white in some varities of onyx may suggest its connection with romance. In India, Gemologists recommend Onyx as a protective measure for harmonious relationships, thus keeping away any probability of disturbances or differences between the couple. Onyx as a birthstone provides the structure and authority you crave. It can help you be the master of your destiny and strengthen your confidence. It provides support in difficult times and centers your energy in times of mental or physical stress. It also offers the gift of wise decisions.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/29 02:45 By Stella Mira.

*~*Missy*~*
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 20
Title: The things this Sesshomaru would do
Chapter: Amethyst
Rating: MA

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 46
Great work, ladies!
New Shiny Entry: Beryl

The name is from ancient Greek, beryllos, and means "precious blue-green color". Pure beryl is colorless, but it also occurs in a variety of colors including green, yellow, greenish-yellow, blue to blue-green, red, colorless and pink when tinted by impurities. The colorless from is called Goshenite. The pink variety is known as Morganite, red is very rare and known as Bixbite or ‘scarlet emerald’ or ‘red emerald’, bright yellow is Golden Beryl, yellow-green is Heliodor, blue is Aquamarine, green is Emerald, and deep blue is Maxixe. Beryls are some of the most valuable of all the colored gemstones.

There are extensive references to beryl as a gemstone in folk lore. Legend says that Beryl was used to ward off demons and evil spirits. Ancient literature notes that Pliny used powdered beryl to cure eye injuries. He, also, described the stone as "the gem green as the sea" as like the sea its color varied from a pale cool green to a deep green. It has always been revered in the East as the stone of purity, and was considered to be particularly sensitive to personal influence, so that it is frequently given to brides at weddings. The Romans believed, and this was confirmed by Camillus Leonardus, that "it renders the bearer cheerful and increases and preserves married love"; also, "it cures distempers of the throat and jaws, and is good for indispositions of the liver and disorders of the stomach".

It is appropriately regarded as the Stone of the Seer and Mystic, nearly all of whom will be found to have Scorpio strong in their horoscopes. It is particularly favourable for clairvoyants because "it hath a weak tincture of red wherein magicians see visions". All varieties of this stone were considered beneficial to married people in keeping the affections true and constant and protecting from slander. It was also regarded as a remedy against idleness, a sharpener of the intellect, and as being specially good for sailors and adventurers, preserving them from danger and sickness on sea and land. It is said to protect travelers from danger and to treat disorders of the heart and spine. Other legends about Beryl indicate it was used to promote cheerfulness and marital love, to retard laziness, and maintain youthfulness. Golden beryl is said to make one sympathetic and increase sincerity.

Have fun writing!

Logged Logged

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 49
Here's my entry for "Beryl"!

Chapter 156

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 46
New Shiny Entry: Garnet!

Throughout time, there have been many ancient traditions and legends about the garnet. In medieval times, the stones were thought to cure depression, protect against bad dreams, and relieve diseases of the liver, as well as hemorrhages. According to legend, Noah used a finely cut, glowing garnet to illuminate the ark during those dark wet days and nights. The Greeks said it guarded children from drowning. It was also thought to be potent against poisons. In Greek mythology, a pomegranate is referenced as a gift of love and is associated with eternity. Nowadays, Garnet remains as a gift of love and is traditionally given for the 19th anniversary of marriage. It may also be used as a gift for two-year and six-year anniversaries. Moreover, Garnet is symbolic of a quick return and separated love, since Hades had given a pomegranate to Persephone before she left him to ensure her speedy return. Therefore, Garnet may be given to a beloved before embarking on a trip, as it is believed to heal the broken bonds of lovers.

It has been said that a garnet engraved with the figure of a lion is an all around effective charm that will protect and preserve health, cure the wearer of all disease, bring him honors, and guard him from all the possible perils in traveling. It was also said to warn the wearer of approaching danger and was long ago carried as a protective talisman. One writer wrote that if a garnet loses its luster and shine, it is a sure sign of coming disaster. There may be an affinity between garnets and the warrior tradition. It is recorded that garnets have been used as pellets by a group of native people of India, shot from bows. The tribal belief was that the stone would inflict wounds, which would be particularly bloody.

The history of garnet’s ability to bring about transformation is found in many books. Thelma Isaacs writes that “garnets used for healing were usually almandine and pyrope, the red and purple-red transparent minerals. They were thought to counter melancholy and act as a heart stimulant. In ancient times, there were some who believed that gazing at a red garnet could lead to passion, anger, and even apoplexy.” Barbara Walker believes that “garnet blood magic was left over from ancient ideas of the life-giving powers of uterine blood.” Garnet was named from granatum, the pomegranate, a red-jeweled womb symbol ever since the matriarchal age. Because of these ancient connections with feminine life force, it was sometimes thought that only women should wear garnets. In Spanish astrology, the garnet once represented the sun. In ancient times, garnet was known as ”Carbuncle,” which relates to the color and refers to a boil or blister.

Happy writings!

Logged Logged

Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:The Shiny Challenge 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 49
Here's my entry for "Onyx"!

Chapter 165

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.