Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Plot devices you are tired of.
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Plot devices you are tired of.
DemonQueen17
Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 12 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 66
sugar0o wrote:
oh you have no idea! i have DQ stalking me over it! :3 actually i need to print it out on paper to get a better look at it, to try and read and update via online stuff is very overwhelming. I feel like i can finally get back into it, but i know i need to take a fine tooth comb and plan it out better.

When i started writing that fic, i was at the time a type by the seat of my pants type of gal. Now i have more structure, and b/c i didnt then i really havent got a clue where i'm wanting it to go now. So i need to re-read and revamp a bit. i think only a few things if any will really change, but i need to figure out what i want to happen past them getting together @_@ plus i'm sure there's load of grammah in there :3

but yus! chicken can be made over 1000x1000 ways so anyone can make something out of the same old same old. I mean if i can make a fic that has about 70k words, and about 500+ reviews combined from 3 different sites, then anyone can make chicken look, taste, and smell awesome. besides sometimes onces you get some good chicken it doesnt hafta change all that much just for you to like it.

O_O i'm hungry now! nom nom nom !!!

LMAO! When you have multiple mental scenarios going on about each character in this story, especially Kikyo in this case, from her completely snapping to enacting her own kind of revenge on Kagome and Sesshomaru, which could include ruining one of the happier moments in their lives together in more ways than one, to getting into verbal and physical altercations with other characters to becoming a dark miko, you can't help but stalk the author of such an awesome fic (anyone else who's read this story from beginning to the latest chapter will probably know what I'm talking about). So now, I have a stockpile of bribery g0odies ready.

Logged Logged

Everyone has their addictions. Mine are fanfiction, Sesshomaru and KARMA!!!!!!!!!!

Bakusaiga is mine via the Claiming Game thread.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
thesesskagrevivalproject
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 7
You know what they say, don't fix what isn't broke. lmao

You know something I haven't gotten into? Kagome somehow magically being youkai.

I can see things like, she absorbed the Shikon and she's granted immortality or something... but I dunno.

LOL Random Pet Peeve and being in this fandom too long.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/08/30 14:39 By Puritysan.

thesesskagrevivalproject.tumblr.com

JOIN THE DISCORD, YA KNOW YOU WANNA

BETA FOR HIRE: will read anything, but loves slowburn, fluff and naughty. HIRE MEEE!!
Victoria Franklin
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
I'm a bit tired of the whole Kagome gets betrayed by her friends or Inuyasha (most of the time because of Kikyou) so she goes running and crying, eventually ending up in Sesshoumaru's hands.
This includes fics where she ends up training and getting stronger to exact revenge against Inuyasha or her friends or something.

Logged Logged
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 216
i can understand that. often it's a quick way for canon writing to get SK together. Personally that one doesn't bother me so much yet.

I do know that since the last time i posted in this thread, that new things have come up. As of the moment i really cant stand Shippo/Rin being kagome and Sesshomaru pseudo kids. it makes me crazy b/c in my mind kagome at the time of the start of things is like 15, and fromt he future she's so immature, even if she beceosm more mature, she's 15 and shippo is maybe "6" or "8" in youkai years? so... he's like half her age. I could see lil brother type but kid makes me twitchy. Same thing with Rin, only Sesshomaru doenst seem to be a daddy type, caring slightly uncle type maybe.

Like if they were a real life situation i would see Sess as that family member you'd never leave your kid with unless it was the last option, not because he'd horrible, just b/c he's not really kid-like or able to deal with them easily.

I'm also greatly bothered by sango to/on Miroku violence, all that Hiraikotsu beating is abusive.

Logged Logged

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 52
Interesting POV rOo, and one that I agree with in regards to Miro/Sango violence. I'm not particulary privy to Sesshomaru to/on Kagome violence (despite stories I've written in the past) as I hate the thought of him harming her physically. Mentally, I think that's pretty much a given considering the two characters we're talking about.

Logged Logged

DemonQueen17
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 66
There are many ways on how Kagome gets together with Sesshomaru and they can be really cool. As you know, the whole Kikyou asking Inuyasha to betray Kagome by doing away with her so she can get the rest of her soul back is one plot that gets old really fast for me.

But there is one other plot device that really gets under my skin; the one where Kagome uses Inuyasha as a personal punching bag by excessively using, better yet, ABUSING the kotodama to 'sit' him to the point of unconsciousness or injury, sometimes for the fun of it. I can understand it where Kagome would no longer want to see him again in some stories if the betrayal is at the level of completely unforgivable, but Inuyasha is a hanyou, not an often disobedient pet.

Logged Logged

Everyone has their addictions. Mine are fanfiction, Sesshomaru and KARMA!!!!!!!!!!

Bakusaiga is mine via the Claiming Game thread.
Kryhs Vee
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
Personally, and this is probably weird, but I'm getting tired of "slave" or "bitch" fiction sexual fiction. I don't ever think it is possible for Sesshoumaru to have use those words seriously. It seems to crass and beneath him.

Also, tired of straight smut with no background and terrible grammar/diction. Don't get me wrong, I heart me some sess/kag lemons, but c'mon people! We have writing tools for a reason! They're even installed in computers now. YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO GET UP TO USE THEM!

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 29
Kryhs Vee wrote:
Personally, and this is probably weird, but I'm getting tired of "slave" or "bitch" fiction sexual fiction. I don't ever think it is possible for Sesshoumaru to have use those words seriously. It seems to crass and beneath him.

Also, tired of straight smut with no background and terrible grammar/diction. Don't get me wrong, I heart me some sess/kag lemons, but c'mon people! We have writing tools for a reason! They're even installed in computers now. YOU DON'T EVEN NEED TO GET UP TO USE THEM!

Two things about this.... first I have to wear my adminy hat and warn about how we say things here. I understand how easy it is to speak/write passionately about pet issues, but some people might take offense, even if offense isn't meant.

And secondly, its actually a rule of Dokuga, that writers EDIT their work prior to posting. We expect basic spelling and grammar rules to be followed, but we do not expect perfection (which is good, because even I wouldn't be able to post here, and I'm an admin! ) Some websites require two sets of beta readers, and to have the stories pass "inspection" prior to allowing them to be posted. Granted, it keeps things "clean" but it limits the number of writers publishing to those sites, delays update schedules, etc. So we have tried to find a balance here on Dokuga which has been rather difficult to find.

So in other words folks, Kryhs' peeve is actually a rule here, so please take the time to edit or find a beta! The link HERE will take you to an extensive breakdown of the content expectations for stories posted, and even links you to some helpful resources!

Also, if you would like to find a beta, we offer a board for that, as well right HERE!

Best of luck writing everyone! And please remember to take care in how we share our opinions, so that we don't inadvertently offen someone!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/10/30 23:17 By MoxyMikki.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 57
Overused plot devices, hmm, I think the most unusual one that bothers me is when Sess and Kag are kinda thrown together for whatever reasons, and I don't read any of the character's 'growing' together, whether it's friendship or intimacy, say with their attitudes gradually changing towards one another.

The lack of character development, even gradual, I find quite saddening since when Sess and Kags are brought together there isn't really an emotional base there, so I find it kind of jarring if they switch from being strangers to suddenly intimate.

Mind I can understand the logic in that too, especially if authors' are writing a oneshot and need a romantic edge to it. You can't really develop friendships in ficlets that short, even drabbles, without committing alot of time, words, and length to the ficlet.

I suppose that the best examples of a good 'growing' friendship and eventual intimacy I've seen between Sess and Kags is mainly in long-series of running drabble collections like those by Forthy, or a great big novel like those by RosieB.

It probably depends on how much time an author can devote to the development of the characters in so many words, which also makes sense. I'm guilty mainly of writing drabbles in a series, short oneshots, or a series of loosely interconnected oneshots. I've not the patience or dedication of time to develop a romantic relationship between Sess and Kags in a novella.

I suppose I just enjoy reading Sesshy and Kags in stories that are more character than event driven, so although the plot might revolve around action that their relationship develops around that rather than being dictated by it, much like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, which I love, but unless you read the Appendices you miss out on a lot of detail about everyone that's not a Hobbit.

Secondly I'm surprised that I haven't read a great deal of ficlets that deal with the idea of Inuyasha's P.O.V of a potential relationship between Kagome and Sesshy. I mean it's a love triangle, albeit an odd one that's pure fanonical, but the implications are huge. Betrayed friendship, an endangered quest, potential conflict and so forth. It's a gold mine, although, I can see it being 'angsty' which might put some off from either reading or writing. I don't know to each their own I just wonder how Inuyasha would react >.> which is why I intend in all eventuality to let that plot-bunny nibble on my brain.

Just random thoughts.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 46
I read the rules again and noticed that it's not allowed to post complaints of any nature. I apologize for any who read my previous comment. It will not happen again. My deepest apologies.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/10/31 06:48 By Stella Mira. Reason: Not allowed in the rules

Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 156
I get what you are saying, Stella, but I think you are being a bit hasty to judge the intention of this thread.

No one here is being mean, just pointing out their personal opinions of things that have been done too many times in this fandom.

The person who started this very thread, specifically wrote "Personally they don't keep me from reading any story, but some things are over done."

Thus I think it's too big of a leap for you to claim we are saying we dislike the story without reading it.
A story is so much more than its plot or a plot device. And even if a story uses such, does not mean it could not be good and worth reading.
Besides, I don't think there is a single writer on this site who would not have used any of these devices listed, or some other things that have been done before and often. Just saying, we've all tapped into the clichés.

I think this thread is here to give us something to think about, a way to see our stories in a different light, and hopefully encourage us to be more original. You could even take one of the overused plot devices listed on this thread and use it. Twist it around, approach it from a new angle and make it work!

I'm sorry if some people are more sensitive and would take offence on the thoughts expressed in this thread.
But if you are publishing your story on the internet, you can't afford to be sensitive about it. There is no telling what kinds of comments you will get. Sometimes, you will get flames or people disagreeing with you or misinterpreting what you meant, or taking offence of this or that in your story - and you have to learn not to let that get to you. Even constructive criticism can taste bitter at times.

You cannot write if you are afraid of what people think of your story. How could you write freely and what you want to, if you worry about upsetting your readers?
Remember that it's not that audience you are writing the story for!

If you want to use a plot device that has been mentioned on this thread in your story, then by all means do so. And everyone who does not like it can go hang for all that you care. Because they're not writing the story, you are.

At least that's how I feel about it. *shrugs* :3

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 57
Yups I've used a couple of the overused plot points, Miroku/Sango violence although the monk always gets the last laugh. It's Miroku so making Sango blush, stealing a kiss and so on usually end up with him winning out after she's slapped him. I see this man as being exceptionally charming but with a twinkle in his eye like a horribly cheeky cousin or best friend.

I've also used the Shippo part with him having adopted Kagome as a mother-figure, likely with the logic that he's an orphan, and she's become something of a semi-constant figure in his life, thus the adoption. Whether or not Kagome thinks of herself as capable of being a 'mother' I've not actually thought about before. Thanks to Roo, I shall endeavour to incorporate that somehow. It certainly would be interesting, especially to have Kagome become somewhat introspective on how she sees herself and how her friends might have put her on a pedestal, i.e. with her being the Shikon Miko.

o.O And in all honesty this is really embarassing but I always forget about the 'kotodama' necklace thing round Inuyasha's neck, so now that I think about it I've never actually had Kagome 'sit' him into the ground. I can't see Kagome being cruel though, maybe sitting him if he surprises her in awkward situations like in the manga, but otherwise for excessive punishment or amusement? I can't really see that happening purely based on the idea that Kagome has a pet cat that she adores. So if Buyo scratched up her favourite book she'd probably be annoyed, perhaps even angry, but she'd forgive him, and might even give him the book to continue clawing just 'cause she's such a softy.

As for proofing stories, I re-read mine constantly before I post, and edit afterwards too until the piece that remains posted on Dokuga is polished enough to satisfy me. I use spellcheck, thesaurus, and grammar checker tools too, although that's what I do. Other author's will go through a beta first or even two before posting their work online.

I agree too, as an author you are opening yourself up to criticism when you post work online. Everyone will have different views of your work, it's the constructive ones that are the most useful I've found, especially in the context of grammar, punctuation, spelling etc. Although if you cover those bases by self-editing or going through a beta-reader the errors should in theory reduce. If anything I myself am my own worst critic, I'll reread a piece of fiction fifty times after I've posted it, even six months later and cringe at what I wrote and how. My earliest pieces for example I believe are terrible, especially in terms of syntax, and sentence structure, and that's how I think and not how my reviewers, those generous wonderful readers, have thought about my writing.

If writing is a constant state of self-improvement you'll really never know how good you really are unless you can look back from today and reflect on what you wrote a while ago. Look, compare, and note the differences. Rewrite even or express new ideas. It's entirely up to you.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
SpookiiPanda
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1
I tired of how everybody betrays Kagome and she runs off turns into super warrior ninja woman and when it seems like she turns into a demon as she trains and becomes i don't know...a bi*chy version of sesshomaru and the types were she is so weak and no body wants her in the group or how kikyo is always trying to be awful and always turning out to be the highschool girl that all the guys had a turn with. Oh and where Kagome/Sango/ayme/kikyo are these teens or adult but they seem like 13 yr olds with their drama going on. I love stories but some of them are putting a bitter taste in my mouth. T.T

Stuff like this after reading it twice or three times, I don't like it and I'm always on the hunt for new styles.

(I wasn't trying to be mean in the top, sorry if it came out that way)

Logged Logged

This is probably always going to be random when the mood strikes.
Anna
Pup
graphgraph
Sometimes I enjoy cliche's if there's a slight twist to them! However, if there's one thing that bothers me no matter what fanfiction/novels/movie/whateverelseIdoforentertainment, is a weak female protagonist.

1) Excruciatingly Damsel in Distress: I'm not sure why it bothers me so much, but whenever I read anything that has Kagome just jumping around needing saving I just heave a sigh. Of course, there's always exceptions to the rule, and just because it's not my cup of tea, doesn't mean others don't enjoy it. I think it may have to do with character "self awareness". Which actually sounds ridiculous when I put into words, because it's fanfiction, but if her helplessness takes itself too seriously, I just stop enjoying the fanfic. But that's just my weird particulars. I can also get into an entire spiel about feminism and twilight, but no one is interested in that haha.

2) Rape/Abuse: I'm not talking about the entire "Oh no! *giggles**blushes*" kind of thing, I'm talking about the dictionary definition. Although I'm severely against any type of censorship, this is something that makes me flinch a little bit. I personally think that there should be a disclaimer saying "if this happens to you, it's not romantic, find the police" for YIM's. But then again, I like reading the entire boss/secretary thing and teacher/student...so...I guess it rests of the degree of consent.

I hope this doesn't discourage writers, as I've enjoyed many different types of fics, and it ranged widely due to the progress of my maturity. Things I liked when I was 15 is WAY different than what I like now, and I'm sure I'll get even more persnickety as I get up in my years. *Waves my cane around, young rascals!*

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/11/04 16:30 By Knox.
Anna
Pup
graphgraph
I actually can think of a story that MIGHT make you change your mind! I forget it's name though...*Goes to rummage in the stacks!* I'll get back to you!

Logged Logged
Amarante
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Plot devices you are tired of. 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
The only plot device that can be tiring, I think, is the Kikyou and Inuyasha have gone to Hell/the underworld/whatever your preference is/plot to get Inuyasha out of the way so Kagome can fall into Sesshoumaru's arms plot.

I quite like the fanfics where Kagome becomes a demon due to the shikon or a curse though and to be honest there are quite a few of them too! I don't like weakKagome! fics. Powerful or at least mentally strong Kagome for me please!

I think that there is so much you can do as a writer, and in a fandom like Inuyasha, the possibilities of what you can do are practically limitless, and If you have to research and think about different plots and twists to make your fanfic different and interesting then isn't it worth it? Personally I like finding the obscure fanfics.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.