Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Looking for a strong Kagome
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
To recommend a story, don't forget to include the link, author, and name of your story in the recommendation. Thanks for spreading the word! If you're looking for something similar to what you've read somewhere, ask here!
Go to bottom Favoured: 10
TOPIC: Looking for a strong Kagome
kimchi759
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 1
Hi all!

So I've been part of this fandom for...er, a long time. I had an account on Single Spark for a few years, if that helps give you an idea of how long I've been at this.

That said, I'm having more and more trouble these days finding a well-written fanfic with a strong, smart, independent, and/or cunning Kagome as the central character. I usually adore the SessKag pairing, and I'm crossing my fingers and toes that you guys will have some recommendations for me!

My only stipulations are that Kagome be admirable, not subservient to Sesshomaru (so no slavery fics), and determined to do more than get Sesshomaru/any male character's attention. It would be beyond awesome if there was a recommendation with Kagome's development and her story being the main focus, even more than any romance.

For examples of what kind of fics I'm looking for, Tales from the House of the Moon, Beside You in Time, Death Becomes Her (though there were issues with gender roles and the repeated use of the Damsel in Distress trope), and Impeccable are some of my favorites. Even Vying for Dominance is one of my favorites for having a cunning Kagome, despite romance being the primary focus, and my feminist sensibilities being, uh, bruised by some of the implications in the plot. The Demon Lord's Cry similarly had me wincing and cheering.

Unfortunately, I've yet to find any fanfics lately with Kagome as the main character and romance as not quite vital to her character and the plotline.

Hoping for some good news!!!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/07/30 15:03 By kimchi759.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 156
Well if you aren't averse to AU fics, the very first story to come to my mind was piratequeen0405's Dancing With Scissors (Rated MA!).

Logged Logged
Halcali
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 8
Pensierri32's Hear Me Roar comes to mind.

Logged Logged
BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 60
If you haven't already, there is Come to Shore (rated MA) by kaoruhana. This fic focuses mostly on Kagome and her character development. Though there is only one chapter, it's...extremely long lol over 30,000 words, which could have EASILY been a multiple chapter story.

There's also, Curiosity Caught the Miko (rated MA) by Stella Mira.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/03/05 14:41 By belovedstranger.

~BelovedStranger~
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 76
You and most of the other people here have named most of what I can think of. Misconceptions and Misunderstandings (forgive my spelling at the moment.) Rated MA I believe and while it starts off a little iffy the end really makes up for it. Other then that, self promotion coming, His Will (MA) by me which starts off weird but again turns out really well.

A Game of Gods (MA) unfinished but it's getting a new chapter soonish.

One of my older works What's in a Soul (MA) complete and with a strong Kagome.

Oh! 1000 by Striking Falcon (M) Great story.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/03/05 16:41 By Knight of Disorder. Reason: addition

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
Nicole
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 154
Finding Her Strength by TiggyToggy is a favourite that matches what you're looking for, if you haven't already read it. It's rated M on FF.N, but I'm pretty sure it would be MA here. It has romance, but there's also tons of mental, emotional, and physical growth.

Logged Logged
Eyja
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 0
My favorite strong Kagome's were always Tales From the House of the Moon (M?) and Dancing with Scissors (MA?), which I think others mentioned. There was also a great drabble series about Kagome as a no-nonsense princess called Fractured Fairytale, but the author never finished it. Those were always my favorites. This fandom sometimes chafes against my feminist sensibilities too. I think that's a symptom of it being older than this new wave of feminism that's been gathering steam recently.

EDIT BY WICCAN: Tales From the House of the Moon and Dancing With Scissors are both rated MA, NO YIMs!!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/03/05 23:23 By wiccanmethuselah. Reason: Insert rating
Didie
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 65
Well, the first that pop in my mind is The Hime Tradition by Sesshomaru's Secret Admirer, complete story rated T so it's save!
www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/9301/1

Logged Logged
Caedes
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 0
My goal in my fic Healing Carefully (Rated MA) is to make a strong Kagome. So I'm not sure if I achieved the strong Kagome that's in all of those other ones, but that was my goal. This is kind of self promoting, but honestly just looking for opinions too! (and if it can measure up to the others
Its not complete yet (I don't like reading incomplete ones so that's why I add that bit. But my last chapter will be posted Monday!)

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/03/22 17:50 By Caedes.
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 109
I did a bit of digging and this is what I found:

These two eventually become romance:
Hubrant to a Nah... He has no Faults- Sess is kind of a jerk in this though. RATED MA!
Letter, Love, War- One of my all time favs taking place during WWII in England.

Then there's this:
Trading Yesterday- ongoing, but it looks promising. RATED MA!

Hope you enjoy them.

If you haven't already, there is Come to Shore (rated MA) by kaoruhana. This fic focuses mostly on Kagome and her character development. Though there is only one chapter, it's...extremely long lol over 30,000 words, which could have EASILY been a multiple chapter story.

Thank you for the praise!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/03/22 19:29 By kaoruhana. Reason: Rating
Kaitlyn
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 1
I've also followed this fandom for years now, though I haven't been active in the forums. I just read the following fanfic though, and it deserves far more recognition than it's received, in my humble opinion.

The Nameless Sword Saga: The Protectors by Traveling East
Kagome, the Protector of Sesshoumaru's nameless sword, is thrown into a world of secrets and gether, the man and girl must unlock the secrets of the sword, expel the sinister demon back to the underworld, and save the unknowing world in the process.
Rated M on FF, but I believe it would just barely tip into the MA category here (for descriptions of battles/gore); no YIMs.

Long story, and regretfully unfinished, but I'm in love with both the author's writing style and the way she alters the characters to fit her story, yet keeps them extremely true to their original personalities.

Logged Logged
Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 9 Years ago Karma: 91
I have one, post canon.
Fallen Angel (It's MA only)
The romance between the two, though it's there, is secondary to the plot.

Trust me, Kagome is a very strong woman!

EDIT BY WICCAN: Here's the link: http://www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/5075/1

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/03/24 16:28 By wiccanmethuselah. Reason: inserted link

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
Kyo
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 16
I have some idea of a very powerful Kagome, however I need someone to find it. The story goes this way:

Kagome is sent to a cave by Miroku's master and came back as someone else. She had unknowingly awakened the original holder of her soul 4 thousand years back and they later found out that that person hates men with a passion. To sum it up, Kagome's predecessors are name in order: Chiharu Junko, Yuriko and Midoriko herself.

Chiharu is an amazonian queen whose domain is located in the middle of the four points (east, west, etc.) and absolutely hate men due to some tragic past.

Yuriko is a samurai whose wishes to remain celibate and virginal was approved by her father.

Midoriko is as usual the all-powerful miko-warrior.

And then the story proceeded with the gang worrying on how to solve Kagome's situation and turn her back after she defeated Naraku in an anticlimactic defeat and freeing Kagura without even breaking a sweat through the help of Chiharu.

Please help me find that story. You will not regret it I promise.

Logged Logged
Y. Kajitaka
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
... I know this isn't the self promotion thread, but my story might be of interest?!

I've been working on Pulling StringsPulling Strings for a few years now, as time permitted, and it sounds a lot like what you're looking for—a Kagome character story moved forward by events and not ruled by romance. I'm planning to upload it here soon, I just haven't yet. ^^;;

EDIT BY WICCAN: This story would currently be rated M on our site, NO YIMs!!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/07/01 09:23 By wiccanmethuselah. Reason: Inserted rating
Lily Noir
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 11
Seven Feudal Fairy Tales by ladybattousai
Summary:
After reading a poetry scroll amongst the relics once belonging to Inuyasha's mother, Kagome traps herself and Sesshoumaru in another world, where they must journey through seven, different fairy tales and complete the poem if they wish to return home.

I think you'd like this one. (Bonus: romance is NOT the focus)

It's rated MA though.

There is also No Such Thing as Fate by silverchan89 (rated MA), which is a marvelously good read and I strongly recommend it. It has what you specified: a strong Kagome (who we get to watch going through character development and gaining that strength) and it's not focused on romance. (The only thing that may put you off is that it starts with the typical 'Inuyasha betrays Kagome with Kikyo' vein... but power through it (you'll be greatly rewarded for it))
Summary:
Kagome has made the critical decision to leave the group after stumbling over Kikyou and Inuyasha one to many times. Now growing stronger in the feudal era and making it on her own with a fox kit and lessons learned on the way, life just got interesting. 2ND QUARTER, 2011: NOMINATED BEST CANNON AND BEST PORTRAYAL OF KAGOME!!!!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/01/13 10:33 By Lily Noir.

Maya
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 2
dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/5702/1

How She Came to Be by Waiting Dog (MA) focuses on Kagome and her strength. It's in progress but its a really good one.

Logged Logged
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 5
I haven't read the other posts yet, but I'm sure that all the classics have already been mentioned. In the spirit of shedding some light on a few personal favorites, I decided to post this list:

1. To Coexist - featuring sort of an AU take on the Inuyasha story. What if Kagome had met Sess first? Very strong heroine with some interesting twists. I don't think the story was ever finished (to my extreme sadness) but what was written was an awesome idea. Really wish the author or someone would continue it... EDIT BY WICCAN: This story would be rated MA here, no YIMs! Link here: http://www.dokuga.com/spark/story/5684/1

2. Means to an End - Kagome and Rin are kidnapped by Naraku in an attempt to destroy Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru. When things go wrong, Kagome ends up in the demon lord's hands. She was only supposed to be a tool, but Kagome has a way of changing those near her. [Cute, fun, fluffy, and adorable with just enough heroine independence to make for an interesting read] EDIT BY WICCAN: This story would be rated MA on our site, NO YIMs! Link here: http://www.dokuga.com/spark/story/43/1

3. Promises - InuYasha has chosen, and it's not Kagome he wants to be with. Sick at heart, all Kagome wants to do is go home. Only, she has to finish gathering the shards, so she turns to another protector to finish her mission. [Pretty fun read!] EDIT BY WICCAN: This story would be rated MA here for gore and more, NO YIMs! Link here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1023568/1/Promises

4. Limerance - In the wake of death and a wish that should have consumed a life, there was only a phoenix left behind. Now, he would face the greatest choice in the hundreds of years of his existence – to capture it and burn, or leave it behind and regret it for eternity. [This is a new story on the block. From what I can see, this story is shaping up to have a very independent and unique Kagome lead. There's a lot of ways it could go, but I can say for sure that it's extremely well written and well worth checking out.] EDIT BY WICCAN: This story is rated MA, NO YIMs! Link here: http://www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/10069/1

It's pretty late here otherwise I'd look around and add a few more. I'll probably come back and edit this post with a few more great fics. For now, I hope the ones I gave are at least remotely what you're looking for.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/01/13 12:03 By wiccanmethuselah. Reason: insert ratings AND links
Lily Noir
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 11
Alright here's another post:

Bloodlust by Lyra. Rated M on FFN, likely MA here. I haven't read this one In a few years, but I remember being impressed with this Kagome. However the story focuses on romance.
Summary:
The quest is finally over, the jewel is finally complete. But Inuyasha wants what he can't have; Kagome leaves to escape his betrayal, and runs into Sesshomaru. Who knew that not being afraid could be more dangerous than the one you are supposed to fear?

From Servant To Master by Smortz (rated MA). Very strong Kagome right here.
Summary:
When Sesshomaru is dropped into a parallel universe ruled by women, and one miko in particular, he has one goal. He must get back and prevent the same thing from happening in his world. Unfortunately, the only way to achieve such freedom is to play along as Kagome's personal pet.

Death's New Mistress by Qiet Whisper rated MA. (the story is on hiatus though)
Summary:
Using the jewel to restore the lives of those lost in the battle against Naraku, Kagome's life is taken in exchange and she is also given a task. But collecting souls isn't the only thing she is capable of, or so she soon comes to discover when she's called upon to aid one she knows in battle. By the way, did you know you could evoke Death to fight at your side if the situation was dire enough? Won 1st place Best Darkfic/Horror 1st Quarter 2010. Won 1st place Best Kagome Portrayal 2nd Quarter 2010. Thanks!!!

What One Was by Azuka (rated MA). The story is incomplete, but worth the read.
Summary:
Kagome is brutally attacked when Inuyasha leaves her in a cave, during a bad thunderstorm in order to look for food and supplies. But was it truly an attack? For when she wakes up, Kagome finds herself in the body of a giant black wolf. Her new role as the Shikon Priestess is now drastically altered and her destiny will rise anew! :: Updates will be spontaneous ::

Primero by JeniNeji rated T, and complete! Our dearest Kagome is no pushover here.
Summary:
[COMPLETE]{PRIMERO} Kagome needs a favor from no other than Sesshomaru. Yes, he, the serious, arrogant, cold and scary Western Lord. But things won't be easy since no one can make Sesshomaru XxxX in fifteen days {Still PRIMERO} Kagome, in a desperate moment, asked Sesshomaru to mate her so Inu-Yasha could mate afterwards. However, she wasn’t expecting the Taiyoukai to agree, much less for them to suffer some unexpected side-effects.

Snow Pearl by Phoenix Blade rated MA. The story is incomplete, and hasn't updated in years, but by gawd is this Kagome a force to be reckoned with.
Summary:
hate him... He took away all I held dear and stripped me of my innocence. He made me into a weapon and the one to warm his bed at night. I hate him. He'll pay, he'll pay dearly. Till then, I'll lay in his bed, and when the time comes, I'll kill him...

No Such Thing as Fate by silverchan89/Silver Phoenix7(ffn) rated MA. Yes, I'm deliberately putting this one here a second time. It's just that good, and I would point all who I can to read it, and this Kagome is the most badass Kagome I've ever read about. And the character development is truly, superbly AWESOME.
Summary:
Kagome has made the critical decision to leave the group after stumbling over Kikyou and Inuyasha one to many times. Now growing stronger in the feudal era and making it on her own with a fox kit and lessons learned on the way, life just got interesting.

Running Up That Hill by The Hatter Theory rated MA. This story also has great character development and a strong Kagome (and a slow, very slow, burning romance). It's rather dark though, and currently on hiatus. But an excellent read none the less.
Summary:
Even after being put back together, fractures linger, spiderweb lines that remain, testament to the struggle. CanonDIV, Sess/Kag

Logged Logged

Nariko
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
To Be His Lady by Nariko
A land, healing from the ravages of a hard-won war with the dark hanyou Naraku. A new evil looming out of the shadows, threatening to tip a precarious peace between humans and demons that has persisted for hundreds of years. A demon lord with a heart encased in frost, and one Warrior-Miko that will set out to conquer all in the task Fate has set for her...to be his lady

EDIT BY WICCAN: This story is rated MA, NO YIMs! Link here: http://www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/6914/1

I feel like my story is along the lines of what you're looking for. At the moment, romance is not the focus. I wanted the story to feel like real life, and a real life woman just is not all romance all the time. Especially not a woman who is thirty years old, in particular. Hope this helps.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/01/15 07:27 By wiccanmethuselah. Reason: inserted rating and link - RATING REQUIRED BY RULES
rosheemary
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 8
Unsung Silence By: Draconic Ban-Sidhe

I think it meets some of your descriptions:

My only stipulations are that Kagome be admirable, not subservient to Sesshomaru (so no slavery fics), and determined to do more than get Sesshomaru/any male character's attention. It would be beyond awesome if there was a recommendation with Kagome's development ... Kagome in that story was (a lil bit spoiler ) learning under Kaede on Miko's abilities, under Kitsune on self defence (Sesshomaru's involved too), and she's typical Kagome, not going to bend on difficult situation. She had economic difficulties on present time. But don't worry, our favorite pairing were in Feudal time, too.

But one thing to warn you, at the beginning Sesshomaru was kind of jerk. Well, it was acceptable for the anything he had been through.

Anyways, this story is recommended if you want to enjoy slow development and deep feeling involved.

EDIT BY WICCAN: This story would be rated MA on our site, NO YIMs!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/01/26 00:30 By wiccanmethuselah. Reason: inserted rating
silentsoliloquy82
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Looking for a strong Kagome 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 62
I had to weigh these carefully. Some excellent suggestions have been made, but I seen some that haven't been mentioned yet. These feature an intelligent, powerful, and strong Kagome. She and Sesshomaru share the spotlight somewhat, but she plays a key central role. They do feature romance, too, lol. I can at least say I tried. (Limerance, A Demon Lord's Cry, Vying for Dominance, Beside You in Time, Death's New Mistress, Bloodlust, How She Came to Be, No Such Thing As Fate, To Be His Lady, and From Servant to Master are in my favorites collection as well. )

Here are a few other favorites.

Reserve Untapped by SilverEyedHyuuga
Rated: MA (NO YIMS!)

Years of battling Naraku have kindled Kagome's formerly feeble reiki into a considerable force. Now that the spider demon has been defeated, she has taken it upon herself to train and maintain her power. A certain daiyoukai cannot help but be intrigued by the blossoming of her gifts, and when their chance encounters begin to become not so coincidental anymore, he, against his better judgement and opinion of humans, begins to recognize her for the formidable priestess she has become. When Sesshoumaru joins forces with Kagome against a deadly new enemy--the powers of which they have never encountered before--he comes to respect her more and more as not just a mere miko, but as his equal.

dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/9140/1

To See the Unnoticed When Blind

nominated for second quarter 2011 best drama and best portrayal of Sesshoumaru* Sesshoumaru is blind and nearly dead due to Naraku and a new spawn he has created. It is in this weakened state that the shard hunting group find him. Kagome, for reasons beyond most of their understanding will not leave the demon lord to die, causing Sesshoumaru to see from a less prejudice prospective.

www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/5410/1

Second Alliance by Imani Joain

A new threat has breached the peace left in the wake of Naraku's defeat. This time, it will be Sesshomaru who must propose an alliance to defeat an enemy he has no experience with: a death that claims humans and demons alike. Only his half-brother's strange miko truly understands the danger, and she is the key to conquering it. Originally posted on fanfiction.net. Revised edition here. 2nd Semi-annual 2013 Dokuga Awards: Best Canon, 1st Place; Best Kagome Portrayal, 1st Place; Best Sesshomaru Portrayal, 3rd Place; and Best Darkfic/Horror, 3rd Place. Nominated for Best Romance. October 2014 Feudal Association Awards: 1st Place Best Drama Fiction.

www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/story/8948/1

One thing I should add. There is no rush in the romance.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/01/25 12:07 By silentsoliloquy82.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.