Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Are you scared of contrast?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Are you scared of contrast?
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Are you scared of contrast? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 13
Title says it all.

I don't know about any of you amazing Doku-artists, but I personally am afraid of contrast.

I don't know why.

Sometimes it looks so weird to me, so foreign and creepy...

Are you scared of using contrast in your images?

(Contrast is for example, pale peach/yellow against maroon, deep brown-grey)

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Shrii
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Are you scared of contrast? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 4
It depends on the piece I'm working on. I find that contrast works well to give certain effects or add a finishing touch in some cases. Whenever I do art, I try to think in term,s of reality. Not everything is going to be matchy-matchy.

Though on the other hand - sometimes it can look horrible. D:

Logged Logged

SilentlyFuming
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Are you scared of contrast? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 8
I'm no artist, but I believe contrast is a good way to draw in the eye and focus it on one part of the picture, like in black and white pieces, or with one color and only white or black in the backdrop-I like those.

Logged Logged
MontiK
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Are you scared of contrast? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 42
contrast is great for creating a dramatic lighting effect.. it's scary at first but eventually you learn taking the risk and going dramatic can do alot for a piece

Logged Logged

[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u211/ShexyMonti/MontiBannercopy.jpg?t=1236322064[/img]

^~~~~ Teensie made me a pretty Banner!!!! :D

Kittylin
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Are you scared of contrast? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 5
Contrast can help to make a picture come alive and I find is always a good thing if you want a work to seem more realistic or detailed.

I'm taking a year off after graduating high school to work on my art technique before going on to pursue a career as a concept artist.

Logged Logged
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Are you scared of contrast? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 40
Concerning contrast, it's something that I need to do more in sketch-type artwork. My pictures tend to be too muddled with the same grey tones, and mostly it has to do with the quality of the pencils or lead i use. The grade is too hard, therefore shows up as too light especially when i use mechanical pencils.

I have art pencils too, but I barely carry them around with me, but they provide greater ranges in value (lightness or darkness).

When it comes to pictures with color, I have used ridiculous color palettes in the past, mostly for personal projects that I have never posted up. I'm not particularly afraid to use contrast, but in some pictures, depending on the mood i'm going for, dramatic lighting is just unnecessary.

My advice is to experiment. Don't be afraid to explore contast~ Experimenting with different color values and different color combinations is a step in finding what your comfortable with as well as expanding your horizons and increasing your flexibility between styles. Sometimes, the strangest combinations to you, are absolute genius in the views of others!!

I hope that helps a little.

Logged Logged

-Banner by the lovely, Priestess Skye

I claimed Miroku`s Staff in the Claiming Game!
Bleuborzoi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Are you scared of contrast? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1
I used to be very afraid of contrast and all my images turned out dull and flat looking. I have recently come to find contrast quite fun and I have been exploring its possibilities :3

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.