Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Read any good books?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Read any good books?
Inkasha Taisho
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 7
Kirai wrote:
ooh! I did that checking around and i was totally rightt about the BDB series from J.R. Ward! The next book in the series is called Lover Mine and it's John Matthew's story!! I can't wait!

OMGoodness!! John's gets his own book!! That just A-Mazing!! Spectacular!! Stupendous!! *does a happy dance* You've made my year!! I have something to look forward to now!!

And another good book that is a teen novel is 13 little blue envelopes!! Really good book.

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 34
ooh! I did that checking around and i was totally rightt about the BDB series from J.R. Ward! The next book in the series is called Lover Mine and it's John Matthew's story!! I can't wait!

Logged Logged

I OWN SESSHOMARUS ARMOUR!! Nah nah nah nah nah nah!!

Master Pie Maker with my awesomely special Pie Crossbow

Ongoing Challenges:
Funny Edible Oneshot(not for YIMs!
I Didnt Know I Was Pregnant
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Kirai\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Neverending Title Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
serasvictoria666
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
I just finished reading Christy by Catherine Marshall. I've read it maybe 10 times already. I just adore it! ^-^

Logged Logged
Hoshi Phoenix
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 8
Man, were to start....I have read soooo many books this summer. Here's a few that I think are pretty good if your into the supernatural/mystery books.

The Were Cats Series by Rachel Vincent <------ a new series that is especially different from your typical werewolf stories, definitely suggest reading.
The Hollows Series by Kim Harrison <----- so awesome! Especially if you like vampires, werewolves, witches, etc.
The Sookie Stackhouse Series (AKA True Blood) by Chalaine Harris <----- very good as well!

Those were just some of the ones that stood out the most.

Logged Logged

~*Ash*~
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I Claimed Miroku\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Earrings in the Claim Game Thread. There mine, all mine! Bwaahhh!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
Sesshoumaru's Fiend
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 5
I just finished reading If It's Not Love by Rachel Gibson. It's so cute and it may give you warm and fluffy feelings. I love her books. I've been on a bit of a romance kick lately, so I've mangaged to plow through three of her books in a week.

Logged Logged
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 47
I don't know if there is already a topic like this in the forum, but here goes. . .

I love reading and go though books pretty fast (especially since they are one of my few forms of entertainment when I'm on break at work), so I am always on the look-out for any titles that may be interesting. I thought other Dokugans might feel the same way and that this would give us the opportunity to share some recommendations.

So, if you have read a good book, let us know a little about it. Oh, and be sure to let us know if it contains anything inappropriate for minors (although ratings for books don't seem to be as big an issue as it is for movies and video games).

One of the many books that I have enjoyed reading lately is

Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

An action/thriller/kind of sci-fi set primarily in the NY Museum of Natural History where a string of savage murders have been occurring. There is some violence and strong language, but nothing too graphic. This is also the first novel in which the authors introduce one of my favorite characters, FBI Special Agent Pendergast, who reminds me of a modern-day, New Orleans version of Sherlock Holmes.

Umm . . . my fondness for him has nothing to do with the fact that the physical description of Pendergast is something similar to what I imagine our favorite demon lord would look like, if he were human. That's just a coincidence.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
MoonlightSerenade
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 10
Well, if your not too religious, both The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown are really good.

Logged Logged
Texanlady
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 27
I'm a big fan of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Great book that delves into a number of topics. It can get pretty bizarre, but since it talks about all kinds of Gods worshiped throughout history and puts them into this day and age it is to be expected. The primary character, Shadow, goes on quite a journey and learns some pretty important truths.

Another great book is The Betrayal: The Lost Life of Jeses...A Novel. It's written by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and Michael Gear. However if you are a devout Christian this book might offend you, but if you are open to different things this is a great book that will really expand your horizons. The Gears are excellent authors of over 40 books, and both are respected historians. You should definately check out there works. They're best known for their "People" series. Of which I have all. Check them out at www.Gear-Gear.com

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/10/02 04:01 By TexanLady.
Nisou Tenshi
Whelp
graphgraph
There are two books coming to mind that I loved. Book Thief and Child 44.

Book Thief was just awesome. It's set in WWII and narrated by the Grim Reaper. He tells the story of a girl named Leisel Memminger and her experiences growing up in Nazi Germany. It was a very sweet, heartbreaking, and alltogether great story. I cried so hard at the end.

Child 44 on the other hand is more of a thriller/murder mystery. It is set in the USSR and the main character (Leo, I believe) is an officer of the government. In the book, there is a serial killer on the loose and Leo tries to catch him. He has difficulties, though, because the government itself refuses to acknowledge that a serial killer could exist in their "perfect society." Instead of trying to help Leo, the governmnet ends up going after him.

Logged Logged

Ice Lioness
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 3
If you like books with vampires in them, the Blood Books by Tanya Huff are really good. You can buy it in a set of three omnibuses which include all five original books and a compilation of short stories.

A set that is a little more towards the younger generation in my opinion but still really good are The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patrica C. Wrede. It's four volumes long and is about enchanted forests (like you couldn't guess that XD), dragons, wizards, and all kinds of cute stuff.

Logged Logged
Sesshoumaru's Lady
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
I am a HUGE HUGE fan of Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake Series.
I stumbled on this series by accident and have read them over and over again and it still never gets old to me.
I love it! I'm actually excited because she has a movie deal set up with this series.

I love reading self help books in general and also love the classics like Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights to name one...

Logged Logged

CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 47
MoonlightSerenade wrote:
Well, if your not too religious, both The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown are really good.

Yes, they are both good books. I liked Angels and Demons better, though. I also got The Lost Symbol, his most recent Robert Landgon novel, but I have yet to read it.

Texanlady wrote:
I'm a big fan of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Great book that delves into a number of topics. It can get pretty bizarre, but since it talks about all kinds of Gods worshiped throughout history and puts them into this day and age it is to be expected. The primary character, Shadow, goes on quite a journey and learns some pretty important truths.

Another great book is The Betrayal: The Lost Life of Jeses...A Novel. It's written by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and Michael Gear. However if you are a devout Christian this book might offend you, but if you are open to different things this is a great book that will really expand your horizons. The Gears are excellent authors of over 40 books, and both are respected historians. You should definately check out there works. They're best known for their "People" series. Of which I have all. Check them out at www.Gear-Gear.com

I liked American Gods a lot. I also read the sort-of sequel Anansi Boys and Good Omens a collab Neil Gaiman did with Terry Pratchett. Needless to say, I am a big Terry Pratchett fan, now and am working my way through his Discworld series books.

The Betrayal: The Lost Life of Jesus... A Novel is one I haven't heard of. I may have to check it out.

I suggest Christopher Moore's Lamb, the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend. It follows Christ's life during the years not covered in the gospels, but doesn't strictly adhere to historical accuracy. . . it is a comedy, first and foremost, and there were some places where I had to stop reading because I was laughing to hard. Despite that, Moore did keep a certain amount of respect for the general perception of Jesus. A lot of the scenes have mature content, so I wouldn't suggest it for younger readers.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 25
I'm about half way through The Mayor Of Castro Street: The Life and Times Of Harvey Milk. School has put reading of it on hold, but it's an extremely good book.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/10/02 12:26 By MomoDesu.
Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Ok I am a huge, HUGE bookworm! However my faves are all romance, currently paranormal romances so i'll give you a couple of suggestions from what i have found utterly AMAZING@!!!

The BlackDagger Brotherhood Series By J.R. Ward. This is a great vampire romance series there are currently 7 book in the series and a readers guidebook too. Start at the beginning with Dark Lover and you'll be hooked! Promise!!

Then there is anything from Christine Feehan. She has some really good series and i have yet to read a book of hers that i have not loved.

Julie Garwood, one of my first authors I ever read (romance wise that is), writes really good historical and comtemporary novels. (on a side note i am only missing ONE of her books and i hope to own it by next year lol)

Then there is Kresley Cole for a really good paranormal romance series

Sherrilyn Kenyon.

If you can find these books Leanne Banks has a really cool shoe series. (contemporary) The first one is called Feet First. They are priceless, funny, sweet and oh so cute.

If I can think of anymore I'll post them up But seriously the BlackDagger Brotherhood series is a must read. I haven't found anyone who hasn't liked it!

Please remember that these are all romance books! Just so i don't get into trouble for anyone too young to read them reading them. Ok my warnings are issued.

Logged Logged

Ongoing Challenges:
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
SilentlyFuming
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Oh god, I love so many books... hmmm
the one coming to mind right now is 'Unwind' by Neal Shusterman
I also enjoyed the Oran trilogy (starting w/ the book 'New Moon') by Midori Snyder...
ummm... 'Blue is for Nightmares' was pretty good, by Laurie Faria Stolarz...

that's all that I can think of right now, please try them out! *^_^*

Logged Logged
phishbon3s
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 31
Kirai wrote:
Sherrilyn Kenyon.

I so freaking agree! I'm hooked on the Dark Hunter series and just finished reading Acheron. The first one I read (well, technically listened to, since it was an audio book), was The Dark Side Of The Moon. Though this series is not for YIM.

I love MaryJanice Davidson’s Undead - Betsy the vampire series, which is also not for YIM. The authoress throws you straight into her world and leaves you with great one liners, funny descriptions, and mental images that will not leave you for months to come. In The Undead Series, you follow the undead life of Betsy Taylor as she becomes the Queen of the Vampires. But she doesn’t want the job and doesn’t give a shit, as long as she can keep buying shoes, putting off the “thirst” for a few more nights and keep her new King at arms length. Betsy constantly makes fun of her subjects, calling vampires such things as “upright wood ticks” and “lampreys on legs”. There is blood, there is sex, eyes the color of fridge mold and there is a Fiend called George who can hum “Brass Monkey”. The character conversation is peppered with hilarious wit and raunchy humor.
An example: He brushed a piece of lint off his shirtsleeve and examined his Kenneth Coles, which were glossy with shoeshine, while my best friend climbed my consort like a premenstrual monkey.

Even her Fred the Mermaid series cracks me up. Egad, this woman can wrire. Here site!

On the younger side and for the YIM in all of us, I’m a fan of The Artemis Fowl Eoin Colfer, and The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley. Both great reads if you liked Harry Potter and need something to feel the void. *blinks teary eyes* Like Harry, both are enjoyable to adults as well.

Artemis Fowl is an Irish child prodigy and a ruthless master criminal bent on stealing the fairy goal, by any means. Even if the fairies have their own equivalent to a SWAT team called LEPrecon, who are ordered to stop him at all costs. The author summed up the series as "Die Hard with fairies." Currently six books in the series, with talk of a possible movie in the future.

And the Sisters Grimm is about Sabrina and Daphne Grimm, descendants of the Brothers Grimm, who get pulled into a town, where the fairytales are real, alive and out to get them. Mystery and humor, a bit of the Scooby Doo to it with none of the safety net, people get hurt. Currently seven books in the series, again with talk of a possible movie in the future.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/10/02 18:38 By phishbon3s.

When he heard a sound which was bitter sound and a sweet sound all at once, which began like hello and ended like goodbye. ~ The Storyteller

“And then, Dave made an improvised megaphone by using a squirrel, some strings and a megaphone.”
- The Narrator from Dave the Barbarian

Fallendoll
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 6
J.D. Robb aka Nora Roberts is another superb author. She writes the In Death series, which circles around the life of Lt. Eve Dallas, a New York policewoman. The way J.D. describes this woman, her friends, the job that she practically breathes is just fabulous. And best of all, she's already written over 25 books for the series. That may seem a bit excessive when you're reading about it here, but trust me, when you start reading them, it won't be enough!

Logged Logged
kc
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 3
I am a big fan of laurell k hamilton's work as well as christine feehan, i read alot of romance books prefer historical or paranormal romance.

now that said, has anyone read the Sookie Stackhouse series by charlaine harris that true blood is based on? omg its agreat and addictive my only complaint is they are short however they are really good. oh and they arent really a whole lot like the show, i will let you know now the books are alot different from the show.

i also read anything interesting that catches my eye and i freely admit i read the twilight series, i wanted to see what had my 15 yr old hated to read daughter not able to put the book down. I didnt really like the first book i was like what do i care about a emo teen who is obsessed with a glittery pretty boy vampire wanna be. sorry for all the people out there that like the twilight vamps, sorry not my cup of tea, i like my vamps pale, allergic to sun, and with fangs thank you. but when i read new moon i was like ok, love the werewolves. and it was worth it then.
My fav moment with my daughter came from a twilight moment as i call it, i told my daughter when she asked if i was Team Edward or Team Jacob umm i dont mind if he turns a little furry better warm and alive than cold and dead not into necrophilia, my daughter and her best friend have been pissed at me since lmao.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 78
The Black Dagger Brotherhood series, the novels of the Darkyn series by Lynn Viehl, true crime books by Ann Rule, a novel entitled "The 8" by Katherine Neville. "The 8" is an older book, you see it often in used bookstores and rummage sales. If you happen upon it, pick it up, it is an amazing story.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 78
Oh, yeah, when I am feeling down, the only thing that can make me smile is reading a Stephanie Plum book by Janet Evanovich. Her other books are just romances, but this series about a female bounty hunter from New Jersey is really funny.

Logged Logged
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
kc wrote:
Has anyone read the Sookie Stackhouse series by charlaine harris that true blood is based on? omg its agreat and addictive my only complaint is they are short however they are really good. oh and they arent really a whole lot like the show, i will let you know now the books are alot different from the show.

Oh yeah, I've read all of them. So addicting I could read through a single book in two days . . . in one day if I had the day off from work. In my opinion, the books are so much better than the show, but that seems to be normal when books are translated to film or TV.

I think Hayao Miyazaki fans may already be aware of this book, but Howl's Moving Castle by Dianne Wynne Jones is a great read for all ages. I loved the film, but Howl's character in the book was hilarious. Castle in the Air was the sequel, and I heard that she just came out with a third installment. Her Worlds of Chrestomanci series is another of my favorites.

Wicked by Gregory Maguire was very good. I didn't expect the political spin it had on it, but it was very interesting. I liked the two sequels, too, but I think the first book is still the best of the series. All three do have themes not intended for younger readers.

Logged Logged

Inkasha Taisho
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 7
I'm an avid reader. I am completely addicted to J.R. Ward's novels. I was sadden to hear that the Lover Avenged is supposedly the last novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. I own all of them. even the reader's guide, but I do plan to read the Fallen Angel Series though!! I also enjoyed A Taste of Darkness by Nina Bang. She's a very comical author, and I adore her characters!! I enjoyed the Dark Series, but I have faded out of them since they tend to get a little repetitive. Gena Showalter is amazing. The Pleasure Slave and Nymph King being my favorite novel of hers. I have also read The Dark Side of the Moon, and it was wonderful read. I also tend to go on the younger side, so I am also reading the Inheritance Series. I'm currently on Eldest, the second novel. The whole series is written by Christopher Paolini. Very good if you're a fan of fantasy. I am now ashamed to say I have also read the Twilight series. In my defense, I read the series before it became the over-popular drivel that it has been transformed into by the movies. Bit the Jackpot by Erin McCartny. Very funny vamp novel.

Most of the novel mentioned are for mature readers only, especially the The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series. Gena Showalter also makes paranormal teen novels that I hear are just as good as her adult novels!!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/10/03 04:33 By Inkasha Taisho.

Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
I think she is supposed to have 3 more BlackDagger books come out it was in a contract or something, but I'll look into it. I am sooo gonna read the fallen angel series i wanna find out about that one i can't current;y remember the name to... Wait LASSITER!! Any way AMAZING AMAZING series.

Logged Logged

Ongoing Challenges:
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 40
I'm more of a classic gal, myself, so the books I'd recommend would be along the lines of

"The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath
"Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka
"The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
"Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte <--One of my favorites
"To The Lighthouse" by Virginia Woolf
I have a big fondness for Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein".

For more contemporary pieces, check out:

"High Fidelity by Nick Hornby"
"The Information" by Martin Amis
"One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Other good books to check out:
"The Color Purple" by Alice Walker
"Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe
"The Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison
Chuck Palahnuik Books
"The Giver" by Lois Lowry <---another one of my long-time favorites
"Lord of the Flies" by William Golding
"Girl, Interrupted" by Susanna Kaysen

yeah.... i read alot of books.

Logged Logged

-Banner by the lovely, Priestess Skye

I claimed Miroku`s Staff in the Claiming Game!
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Inkasha Taisho wrote:
I am now ashamed to say I have also read the Twilight series. In my defense, I read the series before it became the over-popular drivel that it has been transformed into by the movies.

I didn't read them until after Breaking Dawn came out . . . I hadn't even heard of them until then. When I joined a book club, they did one of those 5 books $5 deals, so I decided to get Twilight just to see what the big deal was. Then I felt compelled to read the rest, just for the sake of knowing what happened. I'll admit the books were better than what I expected, but I wouldn't rate the series as one of my favorites.

Some of the classics that I enjoy are

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

The Plague by Albert Camus

Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (I tried to read Les Miserables, too, but got sidetracked when I was about 700 pages from the end. By the time I got around to reading it again, I had forgotten nearly everything that had happened, and couldn't stand the thought of starting all over again.)

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

and anything by Jane Austen

If you're ever looking for some light reading, I would suggest Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen Mysteries. The main character, Hannah owns a cookie shop/cafe, and has a knack for finding dead bodies. The stories are cute, but what I love most about them is that she includes recipes for the cookies and other desserts mentioned in the story. Just thinking about the fudge cupcakes from one of the books is making my mouth water.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.