Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Why so much hate for SessRin?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 2
TOPIC: Why so much hate for SessRin?
Trouble_In_Shangri_la
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 8
I don’t see it here on this site, I speak in general.

Why is there such vitriol for the SessRin pairing? I can understand it being creepy if she’s still a kid or a preteen and Sesshoumaru expresses desire for her, but I saw people claim it’s not okay even if she’s an adult because they act like she’s his daughter.

I don’t understand. I seriously don’t. Rin wandered behind Sesshoumaru after he used Tenseiga to revive her and he let her follow. Somehow, she works her way into his heart as someone to care about and he learns compassion through her. I think she planted the first seed when she tried to help him after they first met. Her life came to mean something to him, as we see in Final Act when he drops into the underworld to get her and grieves until his mother revives her with the Meido stone.

The end of Inuyasha FA has Rin living in a village with humans. If Sesshoumaru’s duties keep him away a lot, she is going to grow up into a woman while he’s gone. It’s almost like Peter Pan returning to see Wendy getting older while he doesn’t age, but imagine Peter Pan is already a man himself. Over time, Rin is going to physically surpass his age in appearance. He looks nineteen, and probably will for many more centuries.

Why can’t Rin decide to go with him once she’s an adult with adult thoughts and adult feelings? What if she looks at Sesshoumaru for the first time in many years and feels adult feelings of love towards him? If she is an adult with full understanding of what it means to be in love, where babies come from and able to decide for herself what she wants, what is the problem?

Please, I’m not trying to start a ship war. I’m trying to understand the thought process of militant anti SessRin people. It’s not my personal ship, but it feels like there are people who don’t want anybody to ship anything they don’t like.

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 277
Eh, I don't "hate" the pairing, but I don't love it either. I guess I'll always just see Rin as his little girl whether she grows up or not, just saying.

The great thing, though, is that the Sess/Rin 'shippers can do their own thing on other sites and it's totally cool. My real problem is when it ends up here and people don't understand that this is solely a Sess/Kag pairing site. We've had troubles in the past and it has caused some hard feelings.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

CookieAsylum
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 4
I don’t consider myself anti-SessRin. I’m just Pro-Kagome lol.

Logged Logged

Avi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 41
There's hate for all ships, including SessKag. We were just discussing this on the Discord server. People tend to hate things they don't agree with and they just make it vocal. Personally, I don't hate SessRin, but I don't agree with it and dislike SessRin shippers who are incredibly rude to other shippers. It doesn't matter which community you're in. You're going to get a lot of hate regardless. It's just the way of the fandom.

I say ship and let ship! It's not hurting anyone! Just ignore the ones you don't like and have fun!

Logged Logged
Little Witch
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 2
I think the dislike has less to do with Rin's feelings, and more about Sesshomaru's. Because there is something very creepy about an adult watching a child as the grow up (even if they're not around every day), and then that adult developing romantic/sexual feelings. It reads a bit like grooming.

Many fans also read Sesshomaru and Rin's relationship as father-daughter; Rin's a child, being looked after--pretty much adopted--by an adult. If that's your read, it's hard to imagine that dynamic changing as she gets older.

Logged Logged
Queen Bloody
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 5
I don't "hate" the SesshRin, I just don't like or support it, why? Because I see them as a father / daughter relationship since I was quite young, and I am in favor of the pairing between Rin and Kohaku, on the other hand, I am pro-SessKag too

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 156
Personally I don't hate SessRin but it really squicks me out.

Even if you don't think Sesshoumaru as Rin's father figure, he still is essentially her guardian. And that makes their relationship inherently inequal.

Even with Rin as an adult, this is the person who in part raised them. Sesshoumaru has been in a position of power over her while she has been growing up and developing and that just gives all kinds of grooming vibes and makes the whole situation really messy.

And even an adult Rin would need to do a lot of growing up to get out of the hero worship she kinda has towards Sesshoumaru, understandably, as he saved her life and took her under his wing.

I just can't really handly power imbalances, I don't ever read any teacher x student fics for example. Stuff like that squicks me out and I think this is what bothers a lot of other people too regarding SessRin.

Would Sesshoumaru really be a person who might take such an advantage of his status over Rin? I'd like to think not.

(And yes, I know, Hikaru Genji and all that, but still )

Logged Logged
sesshomarupatrick
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 26
I hated those ship because I saw many offensive SessRin fans ;P I don't hate SessRin now, but I feel sick when they behave rudely to attack another ship they don't like. I don't blame for them but their RUDE fans.

Just...as Avi said earlier, ship and let ship. Do what make us happy! ^_^

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2020/05/09 04:16 By sesshomarupatrick.
ponpiri
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 8
Their situation reminds me of Léon and Mathilda from The Professional... and it seemed like the showrunners (and movie/game writers) were more intent on them being a romantic thing than the creator.

Logged Logged
Fhsksofb
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 3
Part of the hate comes from everything everyone has listed above. It’s just too squicky to think of Sesshomaru being in a place of power/authority/father figure and then developing romantic feelings for Rin. It reads too much like grooming. The other part of the problem is the fan base itself. Aside from raging ship hate from Sessrin shippers to anyone not shipping Sessrin, there are a lot of Sessrin shippers who don’t age up Rin in their stories and write or draw Sessrin as a completely pedophilic ship. It’s disgusting and triggering to a lot of people and so many of us love Sesshomaru too much see him reduced to a despicable character.

Logged Logged
Trouble_In_Shangri_la
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 8
Thank you for the replies and for replies that are still to come. Your insight about why is much appreciated.

I think the reason I’m neutral about it if Rin is an adult who has agency and can consent is because it’s ultimately fiction, but people are saying it’s still pedophilia even if they were apart for a decade or more and there is no sign of childhood on Rin when Sess sees her again.

Calling people pedophiles for shipping it when she’s a full grown adult dilutes the real meaning of the word. THAT is what really bothers me about the anti SessRin group. If the ship squicks you, fine. Calling it pedophilia when she is an adult and there were no thoughts of that sort until she was an adult rubs me a bit wrong.

I much prefer them as found family rather than romance anyway. Like, Rin is the only human who can walk up to Sesshoumaru and wipe his face without getting killed.*

*Unless it’s a SessKag fic

Logged Logged

Scar-bby
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 12
I don’t hate it. However like the others said it defy comes from a place of grooming.

I am weird though, as someone with a history degree, the thought of a 13 year old getting married decades and decades ago wasn’t a big deal. However today it is, it is surrounded by the society norms and rules we have created to keep each other in check. Clearly I’d probably murder someone for touching my 13 year old but if we were in lets say 1569? Different story. I’d probably be pissed i even had a daughter in the first place. Expensive they were. But those from the hate side forget that Kagome was technically 15 when she started her journey and met Sesshomaru.

I have read some good Sess and Rin but I just fell out of love i suppose. I do say this as someone who has a story ( no YIMS) that had Sesshomaru in the protector role and Kagome growing up under that protection. But it is based in the fact Rin is her whatever great something.

I personally, don’t see an issue with it since it is fiction. I WILL say I personally don’t get my rocks off to M or over rated child and adult stories but I know that some people have put them on the internet. (Please get help if your fiction is becoming reality)

I do agree that the fans are a bit rabid, not all, just some. Which i guess if you are chatting via written word tone is kind of implied by the reader most of the time. But again, some take it way to far.

Logged Logged
meomeo
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
I do not hate it but at the same time, I could not read it. I mean it is ok people ship who they want to ship but I could not get rid of the image of a child and ship that child with a full-grown man. The thought taints both of the characters and what they stand for, at least in my opinion.
But yeah, people ship what they ship anyway. I just ignore that. After all, I would consider the new anime nothing more than fanfiction anyway.

Logged Logged
Siera Serenity Star
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years ago Karma: 64
I'm not sure whether I would say I hate the idea, just that I've just always saw Sesshoumaru as a father-figure to Rin and Rin as his daughter. So for me it just seems wrong to pair them up.

Logged Logged
Blommie8
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why so much hate for SessRin? 3 Years ago Karma: 0
i don't hate it too. but i just couldn't read it. i know rin will grow up. but it's different with kagome. from the start kagome is already teenager, but rin is only small child. it just weird for me.. and im not comfortable to read it. but it's people opinion and taste. so we just on our own way, what our liking or not. i'm not judge them.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.