Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Poll: Taisho or Tashio?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Poll: Taisho or Tashio?
Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 13 Years ago Karma: 22
In most AU fics I've read it tends to be Sesshoumaru's last name. However I've seen it spelled both as Taisho and Tashio. So I'm just wondering if one is more proper than the other, and which people prefer to use and why?

Logged Logged

I claimed Kirara's twin tails in the Claim Game.

~ Fairy tales don't exist ~ Because stories never die ~
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 13 Years ago Karma: 156
Neither of them is incorrect in theory.
According to my Japanese dictionary, Tashio is a valid name.
But if the name is supposed to be derived from Inupapa's title of a general, then I believe Taisho (or rather, Taishou, since it has the long 'o') is correct.

Though, I've made a point of never using either in my AU fics. :3

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/03/24 14:33 By Chie.
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 13 Years ago Karma: 156
AdriAnna wrote:
I think that it might be a bastardization, done by English speakers. Taichou means like general, or captain, and I think Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's father was called Inu no Taichou, or something like that.

I'm not sure if that's it... According to Wakan (Japanese dictionary software) taishou and taichou are written with completely different kanji. Not even the "tai" is the same in these two words...

The kanji 'shou' in taishou bears the meaning of leader, admiral, commander, general etc., and the 'tai' you already correctly explained. :3

Logged Logged
Addy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 13 Years ago Karma: 4
Well, I think that Taisho, or Taishou would be the more correct. Tai meaning great, big, or large, although I'm not 100% sure what the other kanji means, I know what it looks like. I think that it might be a bastardization, done by English speakers. Taichou means like general, or captain, and I think Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's father was called Inu no Taichou, or something like that. I might be wrong, as I haven't read the Japanese version of the manga. So it might be neither Taicho not Tachio, although I don't think it could at all be Tachio and that Tachio might be a misspelling.

Logged Logged

I claimed Kagome\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Panty Flash in the Claim Game.
I am a Master Arm Rest in Dokugareers and I am invisible until mods notice me. :3 Fear my YIMhood!
Ayakashi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 13 Years ago Karma: 0
I'm pretty sure Tashio came about as a typo, whether or not people who use it now do so intentionally. Taishou actually means general, so it makes a good name for him since we don't have an official one.

Logged Logged
Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 13 Years ago Karma: 22
Wewt. Thanks all :3

Logged Logged

I claimed Kirara's twin tails in the Claim Game.

~ Fairy tales don't exist ~ Because stories never die ~
Mikaela
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 8
I am hosting a Japanese foreign exchange student.
She said "Taisho" is correct, and that "Tashio" makes no sense.

Logged Logged
Morgan
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 5
If one had to pick between Taichou and Tashio as Sesshomaru's last name, I've always preferred Taichou. Tashio has always kinda irked me...I think it started out as a typo and others just ran with it, cuz I see it alot in fics.

As for the Inu no Taichou's official name, I've heard two different possible names...Touga or Sugimi.

Logged Logged
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 52
Really he could have had any number of official names, those are just the most widely circulated. Personally I'd think it would be neat if he was named for one of Japan's historical Admirals (Not Generals as the army was pretty brutal). A list of first names on that subject:

Saigo, Itoh, Inoue, Togo, Arisugawa, Ijuin, Higashifushimi, Shimamaru, Kato, Fushimi, Osami, Isoruku, Mineichi, Ryokitsu, Shigeyoshi, Seiichi, Saito, Chuichi, Keisuke, Mineo, Uryu, Dewa, Shigetaro, Kantaro, Takeo, Isami, Soemu, Nishizo, Mitsumasa, Matome, Hiroaki, Kosaku, Aritomo, Shigeru, Boshiro, Takijiro, etc.

Logged Logged

zandrellia
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 14
I've done a lot of research on last names for my fics and this is what I've come to:

Japanese people did not traditionally have last names until some time within the Meiji period or around 1868-1912. The only exception were people of nobility where their last names were really more like "clan names" and, much like Germanic family crests or coat of arms, this is where the mon or Japanese emblems/symbols that signify a family name originated from. Many lower class individuals were only partially educated and so having a symbol to represent a well-off family was highly useful. These emblems were often displayed on clothing. I think it is rather obvious what Sesshomaru's emblem could be. Most common people were simply known by their first name and then the region they were from.

Eventually the government of Japan saw fit to enforce mandatory legal last names of which the people had the option to choose one from a set list of predetermined Kanji. This is part of why many Japanese last names are rather similar. Also, from what I could gather, many of them simply stuck with the concept of having regional type names. Most Japanese last names have to do with the local terrain.

So I would say it really depends on how you want to view Sesshomaru as a character. He is of "noble bloodline" but only as far as youkai go. Maybe youkai don't really care about human practices like last names? It is fairly obvious that they are somewhat tribal, particularly those like dog and wolf species, so having a family emblem is not far-fetched. I would say, however, that if you feel that Sesshomaru wouldn't care to have a family name prior to the Meiji period that he would at least have one later that he took up for business purposes.

Personally, I don't really like either Taisho or Tashio (which I am not sure is an actual Japanese last name...). Taisho clearly was derived from Inu no Taisho which I've always viewed as less a name and more an honorary title. (If it was his actual name then I kind of feel sorry for him!) I would think that Sesshomaru would take on a somewhat humanized last name, if not at least for formalities of doing business in a more modern world. So my answer would be: Neither. Both would stick out like a sore thumb. IMHO.

...and did I mention I like to do a lot of research?

Logged Logged
Skyisthelimit
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 8
I am almost certain Tashio is a typo

Sesshomaru's father was called Inu no Taisho (or Taishou. Either is correct, but if you use the first spelling it would technically have a macron accent on top of the 'o'). This literally means "Dog General" or "General of the Dog". Sesshomaru's father was highly respected and thus I can only assume that is his title. Takahashi-sensei never tells us the name of Sesshomaru's father, or his mother, or even Inuyasha's mother technically (the name "Iyazoi" is from the movie as you all probably know. I don't know if Takahashi-sensei proposed this name to the movie or just OK'd it, or either, but the fandom has pretty much accepted it as her name).

Also, there IS a difference between "Taisho" and "taichou". Both are titles. However, I know for a fact that "taichou" may also be used as an honorific in the sense that you would tack it on to the end of names (I don't know about "Taisho"). Also, when translated literally, "taisho" means "general" and "taichou" means "captain." From various manga, anime, etc I've seen, and from my discussions with japanese friends, I believe "taisho" commands more respect and prestige.

Whoever above said that people did not have last names before the Meiji era is correct. So technically no one has a last name in Inuyasha in the Sengoku Jidai.

What people tend to use "Taisho" for is as a last name in AU fics. They derive it from Sesshomaru's father's title "Inu no Taisho" and technically it could a viable name, for family names do tend to mean something. However, in truth, you have liberties with Sesshomaru's last name. You could find a different one, or make on up on your own by looking up some simple kanji meanings.

As for Sesshomaru's father's first name, the fandom seems to like "Toga" or "Touga." I don't really know why or where that came for. I personally do not prefer it only because it reminds me of Koga or Kouga.

Personally, I believe that Sesshomaru's father would have, well, a longer name. Which sounds weird, but in modern times, most people's first names are anywhere from 1-3 syllables. It's not too often (though not uncommon) that you get 4+ syllables. I think this is done deliberately, for I've noticed that most aristocratic or prestigious families like to name people with four syllables. Perhaps that is an older tradition? I do not know - this is simple from my observations.

Also, he names both his children with 4+ syllables. "Ses-sho-ma-ru" and "In-u-ya-sha" and to me it's...anticlimactic if his names is as short as "Touga." Though I have nothing against the name.

So normally I prefer Sesshomaru's father's name to include at least 3 syllables. I don't know why. Just for me personally - I only speak for myself - it sounds more refined.

So the name I will be using for InuPapa (in my future fic) is Takahiro. I found it in my research. When spelled a certain way, "Taka" means "noble, valuable" and "hiro" means "large, great" I thought it fit InuPapa perfectly.

Now I just need to find a name for SessMom...

Logged Logged

Nile
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Poll: Taisho or Tashio? 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 3
neither- I would say Taishou. Been in karate way too long now and my Japanese vocabulary is growing every week.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.