Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Demon age
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Demon age
Jade-ed Fang
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Demon age 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
HI!!!! I noticed that quite a few fics example: sesshoumaru age, Human Years :24 Demon years: (some really high number like 2000)

Should it not be the opposite? cause demons live longer? what do you guys think?

Logged Logged

I\'m Master InuPaPa Tamer, I tame with my RED TEDDY WHIP!
I Claim Inupapa\'s daiyoukai armour!!!
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Demon age 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 39
I'm not really sure I understand what you mean, opposite in what manner? What you're asking isn't actually clear :/

Logged Logged
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re:Demon age 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 216
Jade-ed Fang wrote:
HI!!!! I noticed that quite a few fics example: sesshoumaru age, Human Years :24 Demon years: (some really high number like 2000)

Should it not be the opposite? cause demons live longer? what do you guys think?
this concept is based around the inuyasha 3rd movie.

When/if you've seen it, its about this 3rd Sword of inu-papa's that was supposed to have been sealed for 700 years before it would awaken again. Problem is it wakes up in Kagome's time. Which leads us to believe that Inupapa died 200 years before the inuyasha anime/manga takes place in the fuedal era.

that being said, in the 3rd movie, Sesshomaru looks all of 17 at best, while he looks maybe 19 years old max in the anime/manga feudal era time frame. (which is 200 years later) in this OVA.

So in 200 years Sess has only aged up what looks to be about 2 years. If 2 years of age = 200 years of actually time, then if he's 17 looking the idea is that he's be about 1700 years old. or something to that effect.

Some people argue this a lot, saying that b/c of the 3rd movie inuyasha (who was born when his father died) is 200 years old, minus his sleeping time makes him 150 = 15, which is how old he looks. BUT the 3rd movie is NOT canon, and Rumiko Takahashi(the creator) didn't have much to do with it other then making sure that inupapa's face was obscured so that we couldn't see it without screen-shoting.

She also did say much as to giving them names either, Sessmomma, and inupapa both still don't have official names, Sessmomma is only referred to as 'Lady Mother' in both anime and manga, and inupapa, was given the name 'Touga' by the production crew not RT. RT leaves a lot open to the imagination that's why inuyasha's one of the easier manga's to really go wild with fandiction wise.

Hope that answers your question.

Oddly enough now that i thik about it at the way most people think abotu ti b/c of the 3rd movie,

Sess ages 1 'demon year' = 100 human years while
Inu ages 1 'hanyou year' = 10 human years.

but thats' basically how it looks, again though none of the aging stuff is canon. RT really didnt want there to be an exact timeline, that's why there's so many possibilities with this show/manga

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/28 10:38 By sugar0o.

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Demon age 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 78
Thanks for a succinct explanation of the age question, Sugar. I figured the age thing out a long time ago, the first time I saw the Swords movie, but had since forgotten how I came up with the ages. I'm grateful for the refresher.

But I do understand Jade's question, it is something I have pondered myself. Say a dog is seven years old by the calendar. Seven times seven is 49. Is the dog 49 years old in "dog years" or "human years"? Hmmm.

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Demon age 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 23
For actual dog years, it also depends on the dog's breed and size. Big breeds age faster, small breeds age younger. So the age the dog ends up being is the age in human years.
This chart kind of shows it:

I can't remember where exactly I saw the information, I kind of wished I had saved the website that had it. If it was a website it could have been a book in Petco too(laughs)

Anyways, I found the explanation about aging for the demons in this thread to be very interesting. I had always wondered about it, but never tried to figure it out since I'm terrible at math and it always gives me a headache(laughs) So thank you ma'am for explaining it and in a way that was easy for me to understand.

Logged Logged
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Now that the answers are in front of me, I get what the question was. Sorry, Sundays are my brain's day off. Yeah, when it's said like 'human years: 24' it's meant to be taken as an equivalent. I used to deal with this in RPGs before even getting into manga, 'cause there were things like elves who were 150 years old being viewed by their own kind the same way humans view teenagers, so it was like "well yeah, you're really a century and a half old, but it's roughly the same as being 15/16 in human terms."

Logged Logged
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Demon age 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 38
I just find the little 'dog years' diagram hilarious

Logged Logged

Jade-ed Fang
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Demon age 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 5
Ok.... Now im BLUR! (or confused if u dk what it means)

Logged Logged

I\'m Master InuPaPa Tamer, I tame with my RED TEDDY WHIP!
I Claim Inupapa\'s daiyoukai armour!!!
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Sessh being labeled as 'human age: 24, demon age:2,000 ( or some high number like that)' is really saying 'yes, he's really been alive for 2,000 years, but to demons that's considered basically the same as being 24 years old is for humans' and (I think) this would be in respect to both how old/matured they appear and how far they are in the overall aging process of their species.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/28 16:21 By Freya Ishtar. Reason: Typos
Inuyashafan
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Demon age 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
I don't know about for fanfics but according to the Inuyasha Manga Profiles book by Rumiko Takahashi that I got for Christmas, Sesshomaru's official age during the series is 19 in human years.

Logged Logged

LoveNabokov
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Demon age 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 3
Demons have a longer lifespan therefore they age more slowly. For example, if the average human lifespan for a male is 80yrs and the average for a male demon is 2000 years, you can just do the math to figure out the demon's age relative to human years or vice versa.

Sesshomaru is 19 in human years and we and to know how old he is in demon years. Plug in the information we know about lifespan and you get his age. Use the ratio 2000 demon years/ 80 human years.

19HY (X) 2000DY/ 80HY=475demon years

NOTE; the 2,000 is a number I made up. I have no idea if Takahashi san ever gave out that info.

hope that helped

-Love

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/01/14 03:44 By LoveisaMovement.
Lily Noir
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Demon age and Aging! 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 11
Hmmm, well, I think that the 2000 number is just a mark of passage of time. I don't think demons would really concern themselves with years and such (maybe in a way like 'oh another summer, wasn't there one a short while ago?') - unless it's important like with seals or something.

And the 'human years' bit is about showing the level of maturity their humanoid bodies take when they are in them. (I don't think an old dude going around in the body of a kid would be unheard of with demons)

Aaand, I don't think all demons are restricted by 'age'. Sure, some may die of old age, but what of the more powerful ones? If demons live off their own energy, and as they get stronger their energy increases, why would they age?
You see, as they get older some get more powerful, which means that they would be most powerful as old dudes, buuut that is contradictory. One of old age's defining factors is weakening of their bodies and minds (dementia, slowing down), and if they have the most power then, they wouldn't be 'old'.

Sure they might have some physical signs of superior age, but essentially they would be in their peak (like our twenties are our peaks). So their appearances would most likely be twenty-something (setting aside those that deliberately look younger/older). Those that are that powerful (daiyoukai and higher youkai) would be eternal (unless someone managed to kill them).

~lily

Logged Logged

tessacha
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Demon age 12 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
I love these explanations ^_^

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.