Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Japanese terms in English fanfiction
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Japanese terms in English fanfiction
I Agree
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 11
I think I may have seen this topic somewhere before so if there is a similar thread, please forgive me. However I am a very curious Ree.

I am in the middle of writing, and I notice that I've been using 'Inuyoukai' and 'hime' in addition to the english terms. But it got me thinking, people probably either like it, tolerate it, or completely hate it.

I, for one, enjoy it while writing because it gives me extra descriptive words to use. I can only use 'dog demon', 'canine,' and 'him' so many times before it starts to eat at my brain.

But how about you Dokuga? What is your preference and why?

Logged Logged

Im never going to do that again until next week....

I iz the Master Agreer of Dokuga Island with my O.K. Stamp of Yes!
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 34
Honestly it doesn't bother me all the much, except when a person uses a japanese word like every other sentence and there are a lot that i have never heard of, that is when i get confused and tend to avoid it, but moderate usage is fine with me.

Logged Logged

I OWN SESSHOMARUS ARMOUR!! Nah nah nah nah nah nah!!

Master Pie Maker with my awesomely special Pie Crossbow

Ongoing Challenges:
Funny Edible Oneshot(not for YIMs!
I Didnt Know I Was Pregnant
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Kirai\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Neverending Title Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
Don't mind it most of the time, as many fanfiction authors tend to provide footnotes with an approximate english translation of the japanese word or concept, it's courteous. But be aware that not everyone will be familiar with japanese references, words etc, and will most likely be very confused, especially when the fiction is written almost entirely in english.

Perhaps the most ingenious way to use words of a different language in an english fiction is finding a method to use them without need for translation at all, when the overall meaning is implied rather than stated. Difficult, but clever.

Logged Logged
Mariposa
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
I honestly love it. Its fun to learn certain words in Japanese and its also fun recognizing and knowing what those words mean.

it doest hurt, the fact that I'm taking Japanese Classes right now

I especially love reading MissTeak's Stories because she includes not only the language but the culture as well.

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 29
I think given the context and setting of the fics here on Dokuga, the Japanese is helpful. I mean you can call the pillows that people sit on, pillows, or cushions, but when you see "zabuton" its more explanatory and specific. Like-wise the use of proper honorary terms gives a wonderful explanation of two characters relationship, without having to waste much time on unnecessary details, which would otherwise just complicate the plot. Using proper terms for weapons lets you know specifically what an author is trying to help us visualize... i.e. you can say sword, but Katana lets you know a long, thin, curved and leathal looking weapon. The same goes with clothing... you can send pages trying to describe a shirt, but if you say haori, and add a few details, the reader pretty much gets it. Its helpful, but its also with the assumption that the readers know these terms. Inuyasha or other Anime buffs, its pretty safe to say, are in the loop when it comes to these things, as its part of the "culture" but I imagine there are some cases where the use of Japanese, even in the proper context, and situation, is just more confusing than helpful. For example if you have no idea what "senpai" means you'd have no clue that by the use of that honorary the author is explaining that the person in reference to is most likely a senior student, or something of that nature.

When it does irritate me is when an author just tosses these terms around all willy-nilly. Every other sentence has a Japanese word, that doesn't necessarily need to be Japanese.... for example: that author is speaking about a generic object, one that does not require further specification, but none-the-less uses a Japanese word. To me that seems like the author is putting more effort in trying to impress his or her readers with their overall knowledge of the Japanese vocabulary, rather than focusing on proper sentence structure, grammar, spelling, and overall technique, which lends serious doubts to the authors ability to convey a well thought, and timed plot.

JMO though!

Logged Logged
darkmousey
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 8
I agree with MoxyMikki. When used properly, Japanese terms in a fic can add something more to it, even make it a learning experience. There have been so many times when an author uses a word I don't know, I look it up, and end up on other sites for an hour just because I think it's interesting. And I really like it when, say, an author is describing traditional clothes or a ceremony in detail and provide a site in addition to a translation to really help you understand. As an anthropology major, these things just fascinate me.

And I feel that there are certain words that are just "need to know" for each show. By the time I read my first few Inuyasha fics ever, I knew what youkai, miko, hanyou, and so on meant. It's easy to put translations of these words, or others, at the beginning or end of a chapter (as compared to within the text, which is just annoying); that way, people that already know what the words mean can skip over it, and those who don't have an easy way to learn.

What I really dislike is when authors take the language thing to an extreme. For example, saying a full sentence, maybe a line or two long, in Japanese. Either the author will put a translation right by the sentence, making it pointless, the readers are forced to scroll down to the end to figure out what the author's saying, or the readers are left in a state of confusion when there's no translation at all.

Logged Logged
Onliime
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 10
I enjoy when Japanese is added to a story. However, I think it is always necessary to either include a glossary or make sure that the meaning is inherent in the story. Too often authors assume people know what a word means. When I was first starting to read fanfiction there were many times when I would come across words, that are very often used in fanfics, and there would be no explanation. Authors tend to explain the unique words but often forget words like “baka,” “Hai,” the honorifics, and other such common popular words. This makes it hard for people who have no Japanese background to read. But by including a complete glossary at the end of every chapter, no matter how redundant it gets, this problem is eliminated.

Logged Logged

INUYASHA\\\'S DOGGY EARS ARE MINE! I claimed them in The Claiming Game.
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 78
I understand that the use of Japanese terms in fanfiction annoys some readers, but I like it. I like to learn new things in the process of being entertained by reading fiction. Additionally, to me it is important to call weapons by their proper terms. In the case of the more esoteric martial arts weapons, that requires using Japanese terms.

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 23
Some Japanese terms in English fanfiction don't bother me. The only time it does bother me, is when it's randomly mixed in, not needed, or if they just suddenly switch languages.

I don't mind simple terms such as hime, Inuyoukai, chan, kun, san etc. Things that don't interfere with the story and the flow of the chapter or writing.

But sometimes, when people do randomly include the Japanese language into English fanfiction it can mess with the flow of the story/chapter and can be kind of a turn off. I remember reading this one story where the writer had Kagome call someone and have a full conversation in Japanese and I was just lost and lost the desire to read the story. Especially when the writer did not explain what they were talking about. It could have easily been fixed by just writing 'Wanting her privacy, Kagome began to speak to the other person in her native language' and then write the conversation in English but the reader would think it was another language.

So I guess it all depends on how it used and placed.

Logged Logged
Sakuramaru
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 5
Honestly, it depends...

Usually, it doesn't bother me, and as has been stated, it is a fun way to learn new words.

However, I don't really like when it's used in dialogue. I feel that it isn't necessary to prove that they are Japanese in the story...a good author should be able to allude to their race or whatever without having to have them speak in Japanese.

But overall, it doesn't bother me that much...

Logged Logged

I've claimed Kouga's Pretty Blue Eyes in the Dokuga Claim Game!
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 54
Truthfully I like it as long as it's only the words that should be there according to the fandom. For Inuyasha, for example, using words like miko, youkai, daiyoukai and hanyou make sense and can really add to a story. However, when you start using full sentences or translating words like cars, guns, or foods that are never mentioned, it really just takes away from the story, in my opinion.

The one thing that really gets me, as a writer who adds Japanese into their stories, is when readers try to correct my suffix/words. Now, of course, I don't mind when I'm actually wrong, like the other day I called Kagome the Shikon no Tama, instead of Shikon no Miko lol and correcting me was great . But when I use -Kun for a girl or -Chan for a boy, which I have heard some Japanese people do, it annoys me to get corrected lol.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Discontent Winter
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 23
As in all things, moderation is the key
For the most part, I think Japanese words should only be used if there is significance to them. Some items and concepts don't have a graceful translation and produce more atmosphere if a Japanese term is used. Also, in a modern setting, I would hope to see them used less than in a feudal or traditional setting. Does anyone really care what the Japanese word for stapler is? Conversely, do we really want to see a Kimono referred to as a simple dress?

One thing that really bugs me though is improper usage and spelling. As in English, people should always make sure of is that they're using the word correctly. They should make sure that not only the spelling is correct, but the usage is right as well. If you're not familiar with the word, use an English substitution, or research the term until you know you're using it right. As an example, I’ve read of bizarre renditions of Kimonos, low cut… sleeveless… laces up the back like a medieval gown…
The resulting picture in my head turns out something like this, instead of the elegant and modest multi-layered swathes of beautiful fabric that usually come to mind.
O_o

Logged Logged

signature courtesy of r0o!
Electric
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 6
Japanese usage in English fanfiction should be kept to a minimum in my opinion. If only because most people don't seem to know what they're doing.

Japanese things and places are an obvious exception because while you can literally translate some things; for example, soba can be 'buck-wheat noodles' but it would detract from the mood and setting. However random usages of Japanese phrases such as 'hai, baka, kawaii and 'nani' in an English sentence seems out of place and is really quite annoying.

Honorifics should be avoided if you don't know how they're supposed to be used. The way someone addresses another (with regards to honorifics) can depend on several factors: their relationship, the character's personality, the setting and even more. The wrong usage can make the character seem OOC and unintentionally rude. Actually, in Japanese culture, calling someone by their first name when you're not that familiar with them is rather rude...

In short, if you know what you're doing then it should be fine. But remember there is beauty in moderation.

Edit: Forgot to mention a pet annoyance. When people pluralize Japanese terms . Japanese words aren't pluralized the same way they are pluralized in English and by adding 's' to the end doesn't make any sense!

(wow this kinda sounds like a rant now, sorry!)

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/03 07:12 By electric.

a kiss with a fist is better than none
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 15
I do the same in my stories, hehe actually am taking Japanese classes currently.

But now I have seen some stories on different websites where the author as used japanese terms and have completely misused them or had hacked them to pieces.
I for one know that I have barely screwed up in my ficitions but lol I am learning and I look forward to using the japanese language in my future stories.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 39
I agree with you, Ree, on the fact that having the Japanese terms for something does really help to not be repetetive. I personally can't stand when I am writing and I go back over the sentence or paragraph and I find I've used the same descriptive in one explanation- literally can't stand it.

I think that if it's terms that we commonly use than no translation is really necessary, but when it's something you know you understand, but you're not certain a reader will, than implying it through the surrounding scene or posting a translation index is the most helpful. I remember reading Tales from the House of the Moon way back when and I had to window out and pull up a Japanese to English dictionary because Sesshomaru asked Kagome if her hakama was fastened tightly and I wanted to know why she was offended that'd ask such a thing and what the heck did it have to do with the situation they were in.

I do sometimes wonder why people post almost entirely in English (not counting the Japanese terms/ suffixes) and everyone is speaking English, but then they will speak a sentence that's entirely in Japanese. In my stories, I won't even term it that they are speaking Japanese or English so much as I will use a statement like 'He was speaking her language' or it's implied in things like pointing out language barriers and the fact that they're from or in Japan, simply because I know some phrases that we use commonly in English wouldn't mean the same thing in Japanese or wouldn't translate properly or simply wouldn't be said at all.

Geez, I always ramble- in short, I'm fine with it as long as it flows well within the story, you as the reader are given the opportunity to understand its meaning, and it makes sense.

Logged Logged
Tsuki
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 7
I think an index of the word meanings is always helpful, I think a little bit is okay. I just don't enjoy it when there is an excessive amount; especially when there is no index. Then I don't get what the word means and I get all confused and it kinda throws the story off for me.

Logged Logged
Inkasha Taisho
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 7
Moderation is important. www.dokuga.com/spark/story/2443/1,The Mahoutsukai, for example, is one of my favorite story that's canon based, but alternative as well. It's a really great read, But the amount of japanese in this story is mind-boggling!! Half the spoken text in this is japanese, and she give you an index, but it's almost useless because she uses complete phrases rather than just a few words. In all honesty, it made the story extremely difficult to read (and re-read), but I struggled through to the end because I loved the work so much. But I doubt many would bother. It takes a lot away from the story when you spend half it scrolling up and down the page looking for translations or have to open another window to use babelfish just to read it. I can understand the use of Japanese in these fanfiction (Inuyasha ones I mean), it's necessary, especially with the canon works, but moderation is important because I don't want read how well you know japanese, I read your work because I enjoy your writing and I enjoy seeing how each author progresses and tells a story. I'm sorry if I offended the writer by using their story, but I had recently re-read it and I had wanted to advertise how great the story is, but I felt a warning should be issued too. This kind killed to birds with one stone .

Logged Logged

Aura
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 10
I don't mind in a few cases (miko, youkai) but most of the time otherwise it detracts for me. Particularly when people add things like -chan, -kun, senpai etc. As it's not in japanese usually the extra additions to names just bother me instead of help. I've closed stories I've opened to read if I've seen more than a few of those in the first couple of paragraphs.

Logged Logged
ItsyBitsySpider
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 10
Nemesis, you and I think too much alike.

Freya... >.> I'm too lazy to read your book. Lol

Logged Logged

It takes courage to kill, wit to avoid it and strength to never be tempted.
-
Sometimes you\\\\\\\'ve just gotta bite the bullet and take the plunge. Sometimes you just have to say \\\\\\\'I was wrong\\\\\\\'.

Smittee
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 31
While too much can be distracting, I love when others slip in a not used too much word in a fanfic. Of course, it's nice when there's a definition to go with. In that way, I feel like I'm expanding my knowledge of a language. If anyone knows something about me, I LOVE obtaining knowledge. I tend to use the terms 'engulf knowledge'.

Logged Logged

www.dokuga.com/images/fbfiles/images/Smittebucket.jpg
I claimed Shippo\'s transforming powers in the claim game.
InuYoukaiLiz
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 9
I don't really care as long as the author has enough sense to hint at the defintion in the story or at the very least post a glossary at the end of the chapter.

Logged Logged

PROUD Inupapa fangirl

"I wish for a heart. A heart of the man whom I'll never allow to forget me." (to Kagome) - Kikyo

"Go Naraku, gather the shards of the jewel, and once you found them all , then I will send you to hell." - Kikyo

I support Kikyo...got a problem with that?
summerbirdy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1
Considering that I think Sesshoumaru as inuyoukai, or better yet Daiyoukai, instead of dog deamon in my mind, and Kagome Miko instead of priestess (and God forbid me ever to start thinking them in my native language) I like reading those words among fanfiction. Same goes with other small words that I'm used to identify characters with. Mostly, I think, this is because some words used in English are harder to "translate" in my mind than Japanese ones. Specially, since most fanfictions use Japanese traditions and background... for me how I understand a word "demon" is totally different how I see word "youkai". And if I'm not mistaken, the idea behind word Hime is a bit different than western princess, so yes, I feel that sometimes Japanese terms are more suitable than English ones.

BUT (oh yes, the dreaded but...) I don't like it when every other word is in Japanese, or whole sentences (even if translated somewhere there). It makes me feel that whole idea of the fic is to show readers that author can speak Japanese... (and give me creepes since I can't, not that much anyway)

So as long as it's not distracting me from reading the fic, I don't really care if some words are in Japanese or English. Nor do I complain if there is no Japanese terms at all.

Logged Logged
Yuuki Kaora
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 3
I myself prefer the Japanese terms, it makes the story more interesting to read.

Logged Logged
Langus
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Japanese terms in English fanfiction 13 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 6
IMHO it's a fine line between betterment and excess. Thankfully most authors in the IY fandom seem to have a firm grasp on the difference.

Commonly used phrases like hanyou, miko or taiyoukai add something to the flavour of the work and keep it interesting when it comes to adjectives and descriptions.

Authors who insert Japanese wherever possible, like randomly placed "Nani?!"s and "-kuns" strike me as the braggart type who want to show off their Japanese knowledge wherever possible. In turn, it makes their story unreadable (at least for me, a person who lives in Japan and studies Japanese FT).

A general rule of thumb, for almost any genre or fandom, seems to be that if your readers need to use a dictionary to understand your story you need to reign it in.

Logged Logged

[img] http://fc65.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/031/4/4/441a265f509fa2446485eec83c5450ec.jpg [/img]
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.