Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Copyright Character Commissions Legal?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Copyright Character Commissions Legal?
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Copyright Character Commissions Legal? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 40
MomoDesu wrote:
Rumiko Takahashi and Sunrise both have given the OK to fanworks, even dojinshi sold in Japan. Just as long as you aren't majorly cutting in on their profits. I remember reading something along these lines in the medianiner forums. If I can find the link again, I'll post it here.

Thank you momo! I've been very hesitant in the past to accept commissions with copyrighted characters. I currently have one that included Sesshoumaru pending. So, this helped alot.

*glomps*

Logged Logged

-Banner by the lovely, Priestess Skye

I claimed Miroku`s Staff in the Claiming Game!
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
PickledPlum
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Copyright Character Commissions Legal? 14 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 3
Oh wait... I forgot something... Thank You both very very much for helping with my search!!! And to show my appreciation here's a karma for you both!

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Copyright Character Commissions Legal? 14 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 25
Rumiko Takahashi and Sunrise both have given the OK to fanworks, even dojinshi sold in Japan. Just as long as you aren't majorly cutting in on their profits. I remember reading something along these lines in the medianiner forums. If I can find the link again, I'll post it here.

Logged Logged
PickledPlum
Supporter
graphgraph
DaiyoukaiGeisha wrote:
I think the only one that would be able to answer it fully would be a lawyer with some familiarity with artlaw/commissions, copyright, and intellectual property. Also, remember this is the Internet. The copyright/IP law in the US is going to be different from the law in Japan, or Norway, or elsewhere...which makes the situation even stickier.
Aw, now I miss my lil' apartment. I use to have a law student that lived next door... oh well, guess I have no other choice but to find my answers on the web. Oh and good point... I completely forgot to consider that there will be different laws depending on the area. Things have gotten sticky indeed.

A law is only worth anything if it's enforced.
That's so true! Apparently fanfics really are illegal but the law against them usually isn't enforced... in fact, fanfics are usually encouraged because they often increase the fan base... go figure.

I would ask one of the artists on DA who have been selling this type of work already and see if they are doing anything on the legal end of things with regard to this.
Why didn't I think of that, hehee. Now who was that one person selling magnets with the same set of copyright characters ??? Hm, well it looks like I still have a ton of work to do here... i'll try and post anything helpful i find along the way.

Logged Logged
PickledPlum
Supporter
graphgraph
beermoney5 wrote:
I don't know where you would go for this information but you might want to try and contact Viz and ask them. But you do have to get permission first before you can sell it.

Yeah, I do seem to be seeing "permission, permission, permission" everywhere I look, hehe. Apparently one should get permission on a work not being sold too... It's so complicated. :: sways around dizzily and falls down:: Thank you, I'll check out Viz.

Logged Logged
DaiyoukaiGeisha
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Copyright Character Commissions Legal? 14 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 15
This is a very interesting question. Unfortunately, I think the only one that would be able to answer it fully would be a lawyer with some familiarity with artlaw/commissions, copyright, and intellectual property. Also, remember this is the Internet. The copyright/IP law in the US is going to be different from the law in Japan, or Norway, or elsewhere...which makes the situation even stickier. I won't even get into the US-related copyright caveats when it comes to "parody" works and fair use.

I've seen plenty of folks on DA selling buttons, t-shirts, etc. at various conventions (and their own websites) obviously using someone else's original character (e.g., Inuyasha). A law is only worth anything if it's enforced. Obviously, unlike a lot of other entertainment companies/people/organizations, Viz et. al. doesn't seem to be on the warpath to challenge people over their copyright. IMHO, I would ask one of the artists on DA who have been selling this type of work already and see if they are doing anything on the legal end of things with regard to this.

Logged Logged

::::::::::::::::
I like to have a martini, Two at the very most.
After three Im under the table, after four Im under my host.
- Dorothy Parker
beermoney5
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Copyright Character Commissions Legal? 14 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 4
I don't know where you would go for this information but you might want to try and contact Viz and ask them. But you do have to get permission first before you can sell it.

Logged Logged

[img]http://dokuga.com/g2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10540&g2_serialNumber=2[/img]
PickledPlum
Supporter
graphgraph
Copyright Character Commissions Legal? 14 Years, 12 Months ago Karma: 3
Okay, so I have a question regarding copyright character commissions. I've been floating around DA and I've noticed that some artists refuse to draw copyright character commissions while others draw exclusively that... so I was wondering is it because it's against the law to sell copyright character commissions? My understanding was that making profit off fanart was illegal... but I don't always understand much, hehee. I actually was considering getting a DA account to sell a few large plushies I would be making from a template I am currently making for myself, but it's of a copyright character so that would be bad/illegal right? I've been trying to do research on this but I am having a bit more trouble than I thought... the law is so complicated, hehee. Can anyone perhaps point me in a direction where I might be able to find this information... Or perhaps share some of your knowledge on this issue with the rest of us? It would be greatly appreciated by me.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.