Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
How to determine fanfiction success...
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
  • Page:
  • << Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>
TOPIC: How to determine fanfiction success...
Kyndred Raven
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 22
Hello everyone!

I'm very new to Dokuga (well, Inuyasha fanfiction writing in general) and wanted to ask your advice on something. I sincerely apologize if this has been discussed before...

Those of us who have posted stories know the feeling of waiting for responses with baited breath. I recently posted a story here, and I'm back to feeling anxious. Even after writing for as many years as I have, I still can't seem to keep myself from refreshing my inbox too often to check and see if someone has written back. Lately though, reviews have become like Bigfoot or the Lochness Monster - legendary and very hard to see.

I'm curious what you guys think - can review counts make or break a story? If you're browsing fanfiction and you come across a story that has 12 chapters and 2 reviews, would you still give it a chance (assuming the summary was interesting)? Or would you pass it by, thinking that since other people haven't reviewed, it must not be worth your time?

If you don't get reviews, how are you supposed to know if people enjoy your work?

Very interested in hearing your thoughts

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 23
To be honest I don't go by how many reviews a story has-but the material of the story itself. If a summary to a story catches my interest, I don't look at the number of reviews It has, but I will look further into the story. If the first chapter still has my interest, and another chapter is available I will continue reading.

I have read some stories that had A LOT of reviews and when I began reading the story I couldn't understand why it had so much feedback. Most of the time the chapters were short, lacking depth and just not my personal preference.

I think a story is successful if the writer of the story likes their own work, and put dedication and time into the plot line and chapters. I'll admit that I write stories that I want to see, something I would enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing. If other people like it, that's wonderful and I always appreciate feedback, but It's not necessary for me.

One can tell others enjoy their work by the views, the favorites or the alerts set for the story. As long as you enjoy your own work I think that's the most important thing.

Logged Logged
Discontent Winter
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 23
Reviews aren't everything in determining if a story is good. I've seen incoherent grammatical nightmares have high review counts.

I usually rely on the summary to determine if I'm going to read something or not. I avoid chat abbreviations (before=b4, u=you etc), incoherency and poor grammar. Poor spelling I'm usually more lenient on, but I do go in with lower expectations. A summary is very short, and if errors are contained, I usually expect to see more exponentially in the main piece.

After these considerations, then I would judge the content of the summary, though, this is more to avoid the story types that don't appeal to me personally.

I do have to admit, I'm not a very avid reviewer. I can't bring myself to write something generic like "Good Story" so something has to strike me personally in order to review. So take heart, just because people aren't reviewing, doesn't mean you don't have a closet fan base out there somewhere

In terms of how to determine if your writing is any good, without the benefit of said reviews? That's a tough one. If you have a beta you trust, get their opinion... Most important of all, though, is your own opinion. Read your story with a critical eye. If you decide it's good and you got something out of it's creation, then it was definitely worthwhile.

Logged Logged

signature courtesy of r0o!
Avadrea
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 27
I never even look at the review numbers when picking a story. I love reviews but I would still write if I didn't get them.

As for knowing how popular your stories are.. I don't think there is a way to REALLY know for sure. A part of me would like to be able to see the people who have put me and my stories on alert so I know if I have a following or not. But at the same time I can see that people might not want people knowing who they put on their alert list.

Logged Logged

Nykitty
Pup
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
I have, what I think is, a weird way to determine if I am going to read a story. First I look at word count, I generally only start to read after 40 thousand (For many reasons). I am a fast reader and would like to actually have a good amount to read. I am impatient and waiting weeks or months for stories will cause me to loose interest fast. I would like there to be a good chunk of story for me to process. It usually takes a couple of chapters/thousands of words to get to the part of the story that makes it unique and hooks in readers. Personally, I am usually always busy and if there is not a sizable amount of fic for me to remember I am probably not going to check it out at a later date. It is also a general way to rule out bad authors/stories, (I know I may miss some fantastic stories this way but) generally stories that are over 20 thousand have a dedicated author and a workable plot. I know this sometimes leaves out one shots, but I usually search for one shots separately or check out shorter stories from author's whose fic I may have just checked out. And I just personally enjoy longer stories.

The second "step" for me, I agree with Discontent Winter, is I check the summary for general grammar and internet speak. Then I check the summary, is it interesting?, is it something of seen before?, does it have anything catching, mysterious?, if it is a snippet of a scene in the fic does it leave me wondering what is going to happen?

Sometimes I look at the date published and the last date updated to "guestamate" how often the fic is updated, this usually plays a small role in my decision unless there is a 4+ year gap.

Once I start reading I generally like to give a story three chapters to make or break my decision to keep reading.

I honestly, never look at reviews when deciding to read a story. As long as everything else is in order I would read a story even if it had no reviews(partly because I don't even look at the review number).

I have been reading fanfiction for almost a decade and of the hundreds of stories I have read I have reviewed less than 20 times . I do not review for many reasons: I see nothing wrong in the story to point out or inquire about, when reading I get taken into the world of the fanfiction and forget , I am busy, since I read large chunks at a time I never know which chapter to review, long responses to reviews on other sites on the next chapter sit with me funny, I don't want to say good a simple job on every chapter, "back in the day" some authors would refuse to update unless you review and I always quietly rebelled, I guess I am use to reading a book without thinking of interacting with the author, and I never know what to say.

Lame reasons I know, as only a reader I know that I do not appreciate the author's hard work as much as I should and how much a review may mean to them. I do go through the chapters of stories in different browsers multiple times or refresh multiple times as my way of saying thanks. Personally I am a secret, but avid fan of so many stories and do genuinely appreciate the stories and the authors hard work I just do not know how to show it. Maybe if sites had a simple like button , I would definitely like tons of stories, no need to get too personal, but can still take time to show your appreciation ^.^.

Logged Logged
Avadrea
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 27
A like button would be nice.I don't review much either. Usually because I don't know what to say other than. "nice." or "I enjoyed this" I feel kinda lame saying that. But if I could hit a thumbs up button or something I could tell the author that same thing. "I like your story.. nuff said"

Logged Logged

Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 156
I'm a very, very bad reader myself. I'm horribly picky, and I barely ever bother to leave a review.

When I pick a story to read, the summary weighs a lot more than the review count does. I have to admit that I do glimpse at the number of reviews, though, but the summary is the one that makes me click the story open.

After that... *cough* Well, for me, the first paragraph pretty much determines whether I'll read the story or not - like I said, I'm horribly picky. There are very, very few fanfics that I'm reading at the moment.

It's not a good thing to judge a story so quickly and based on such a small sample, but usually the first chapter is critical. I'm not the only one who drops a story after taking a glance at - or reading through - the first chapter. Just compare the number of hits your story has to the number of hits your later chapters have... There is usually a significant drop.

As a writer, this kind of way of judging is problematic, because sometimes it might take several chapters before the story will actually kick in.
I don't usually worry about it though. As long as I enjoy telling the story, I'm sure there will be at least a few loyal readers who enjoy reading the story - whether they will bother to leave a review or not. :3

Logged Logged
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 39
That's kind of a yes or no answer (for most people, I think). I'm a bit of a picky reader, but I don't really like to let my opinion be shaped by others before giving something a fair try. If the summary sounds interesting, I'll give it a try, regardless of how many reviews it has. I've seen stories with summaries that seemed 'okay', but say, the grammar and spelling in that, alone, were horrific, but it had a decent amount of reviews per number of chapters, so I tried to read said story . . . only to find I couldn't make it through the first few paragraphs. I mean, to each their own, and all, but moments like that make me wonder if I'm seeing the same story as those that left the raving reviews, lol.

On the same token of 'to each their own', it also has to be said that different types of stories appeal to different people. Let's not forget the thing we authors all love, as wonderful as Dokuga is, it is like any other fanfiction site in that there are a lot of lurkers about- those that read but don't review. Another thing to look for in whether or not people are checking out your fic is the readership ('cause this goes hand-in-hand with the lurker thing); if you have a decent number of hits as per the number of chapters you have- given how long it takes you to post them, or how long your story has been around- then clearly people are reading your work.

I know it can be really disheartening to post something and wait on pins & needles for some type of reader response (I know I check my email obsessively for the next 2 or 3 days straight after updating a fic), but try to keep in mind that not getting a review doesn't necessarily mean that a reader didn't like the story. I also agree with Chie in that you can't really make a judgement on a story that's just starting. Yes, there are those readers that will chime in from word one, but then there are many that really need to get into a story- not just for the work itself, but also because it sort of establishes a rapport for them with the author- before they feel comfortable to share their thoughts on the story. There's also a plague that afflicts many fanfiction authors called 'incomplete-itis', where we begin a story with a full head of steam, people jump on board, get into the fic and then . .. . we sort of taper off and the story fizzles out . . . I should know, I was one of the afflicted authors, myself. Because of the overwhelming lack of completed fanfics, in general, a lot of readers don't like to read fics that are just starting out, don't have a lot of chapters yet or are not yet complete.

Yeah, I have a tendency to ramble, but in short- it can be tough, but don't take it to heart.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/05/02 14:58 By Freya Ishtar.
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 38
I see OLD chapter stories that have a high review count and are practically failures in the plot department as well as grammar department but I rarely see new stories that have a high review count and are terrible. Reviewers have become picky through out the years and don't review as much unless they think the story is awesome.

Plus, you have to remember, this isn't like Fanfiction.net where there are millions of readers. One of my stories on fanfiction.net may have 800 reviews but on Dokuga, it may have 100 + or so which for the chapter amount is really good and the post date.

Personally, though I'm huge on 'review me' I am not much of a reviewer unless the story is epic. ALSO, plot really pulls me in. A bad plot = no bueno and I am not going to read it. A good plot, I'll try it but if the first chapter is terrible then I drop it. A person can write a good plot but it doesn't mean that they're a great writer.

P.S. Titles definitely pull me in!! The title of story is important! At least, I think so. I try and make sure all my titles and plots are original. If I do a plot that has been overdone then I at least try and make sure the plot is well written.

If I'm unhappy with how one of my chapters look then I'm not going to post it. I don't trust anyone else's opinion other then my own and I definitely have a high opinion of myself My suggestion is get a friend to look over what you write or a beta because even though I can't deal with beta's [I update too many stories at once and would kill them] it doesn't mean they aren't awesome.

That's my babble~

For yourself though, I do think that you shouldn't place so much value on your review count because as long as you're happy, then who cares? You should write more for yourself rather then others <3 Though I understand how you feel.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/05/02 15:21 By Kagome Yuki Niwa.

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 57
I used to read a lot more than I do now. I have a favourite few fics by a couple authors that I check regularly, but I never really read them the first time round 'cause of the number of reviews. It was mainly the word length and the Sess/Kag pairing that roused my curiousity. Since I generally prefer longer fics than shorter ones since there's more content to read through. I like novels XD. Then came the first chapter and reading the first couple of paragraphs. If I saw a good opening, and it was paced well, and was reasonably readable I'd read it, if not I tended to lose interest.

The basic issue for myself is formatting first. If the ficlet isn't broken up into readable chunks in paragraphs I find it difficult to read. Text blocks x_X hurt my eyes. Spelling comes next, then grammar, and punctuation. It doesn't have to be perfect but legible, and if I can't read it very easily, chances are that other people won't be able too either. I don't really mind if the stories aren't beta-ed. It's not an issue since many of my favourite authors are un-beta'ed too.

Everyone has their own styles, but you shouldn't let the number of reviews get you down. Alot or few it doesn't matter. It is nice to get feedback, but it's the ones that point out issues in your writing that are the most useful. Constructive criticism is the best! I like it since it tells me what I can improve on. Very nice. I think the best advice I ever heard was that it's best to 'Write for yourself' and not for others. I like writing since it gives me practice to improve. Reviews are nice and I appreciate them, but it's not what motivates me to write. I like the practice since it gives me the creative ground to mess around and put Kagome, and Sesshoumaru in awkward situations XD, which is a nice playground for practising characterisation, I find.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
cakeiton
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 55
Me, personally, reviews are a perk, but I love getting "reads". I would say I check my read count more than review count.

As for what I go for to read, I don't look at the review count. Its all summary for the most part. I will go on a kick of COMPLETE ONLY, but for the most part I read what strikes my interest. I am new to fanfiction/dokuga myself (been here 3 months) and this community is FANTASTIC for support.

Also, there are SO MANY stories on this site alone, let alone out there in general. I wish I could go through much more than I do, just because I wish I could give everyone their due. Sadly, this is not possible. Like others have said, key things to look for (and I mess up on these a lot myself) Keep in mind, I'm not an English major or expert, but these are things I look for when reading.

1. CHECK GRAMMAR

2. Write, rewrite, wait a day, reread. Sometimes the story moves great at first, but coming back to it you may see things that help it flow better.

3. Pace is great, flow is awesome, but I shy away from cadence. Reading a WHOLE story that reads "This person did this and this happened. This person then did this because of that and this happened. This person did this. This person..........." so on and so forth stagnates. I'm learning myself, so its something I"m trying to watch out for as well.

4. Also, I ask for read suggestions from people who have similar standards/interests. Two heads are better than one at finding good fics ;]

I am guilty of reviewing with "Good story" and things of that like. Mostly, its because I was reviewing every chapter and felt bad if I stopped, but there are times where I will have something sarcastic (in a good way) to say or an insight or something like that. The stories with 999,999 reviews, however, usually I only review if I have something I really wish to relay to the author. I figure they have so many to go through, a "Good Story" wouldn't mean much and not accurately express how much I liked it, though I have a hard time expressing that already

Wow, I typed a lot so I'll stop lol. Basically, reviews are perks, but I don't think people read stories based on the amount. What is written in the reviews should count more. Also, thank you for sharing your stories with all of us!

Logged Logged

Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 15
Sometimes I pick through the stories that have more reviews, but for me it's usually if the summary catches my attention.

I have read stories that barely anyone else has read just because the summary was catchy and honestly I have yet to be disappointed in reading a story with a catchy summary heh.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
Christine
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 3
I haven't written anything on Dokuga yet because I am still new-ish to Inuyasha and therefore am just reading and reviewing but I have written 5 stories over on FFN for Vampire Knight. I think reviews have a part to play in letting an author know how they are doing, whether they are heading in the right direction and whether they are improving.

It is nice to get reviews because it is only human nature to crave approval and to feel that someone gives a damn about what you write. Of course you should first and foremost write because you wish to, because something drives you on and is not appeased until you have put it down on paper. That said, it is still gratifying to see that your work is being appreciated by others.

"Hits" or "reads" are a bit of a mixed bag. A hit on your story could mean that someone selected your work, sat down, read it and was enchanted or it could just be an idle browser glancing at your first line or two and flicking their fickle way onto something else without reading your work at all. There is nothing there in the hit meter to let you know which it was. Someone commented earlier that a "Like" button would be good and I agree with that wholeheartedly. Reviews can supply you with a bit more information regarding whether your story is good or not.

Having said that I feel it is not the number of reviews per say, but the quality of the review. I feel that having a dozen reviews that just say, "Awesome! Please update" is quite good for the ego butut having just one or two that say why someone liked your story, how it made them feel and particularly if they quote a line or two and point out just how that particular set of phrases really resonated with them, well those reviews are worth their weight in gold because they really mean something. Someone took time out of their busy day to stop and tell you just what you did right to give them some enjoyment and that is no small thing at all.

I try to make careful choices when reading the summary of a story to see whether I will read it or not. Having made my choice and either read the whole thing or just a chapter or two I always leave a review. Perhaps a brief one if the story was only mildly to my taste after all and a lengthier one if I was just bowled over by it but I make it my personal choice to never ever just read and go without a word. I may not leave a review for every chapter say, if it is a drabble series of many, many chaplets but I do leave something where I have been particularly impressed. I have left just under 500 signed reviews over on FFN in the 18 months I have read there and I do so to try and give the author some thanks and a feeling of reward for effort. I know how happy I feel if someone reviews my work so I think it is my duty too to pay forward that feeling.

So in a nutshell summing up that longwinded outpouring,lol, I think that well expressed reviews tell you a lot about how your journey as an author is going and they are a valuable adjunct to the read meter's information. These are just my personal opinions and I hope they are of some use to you.

Regards,
Christine (PinkBeadGirl)

Logged Logged
Skyisthelimit
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 8
I pretty much agree with everything above here. I will admit though if some story has an OUTRAGEOUS number of reviews, that does catch my eye. But that usually doesn't happen here on dokuga. Take heart - dokuga is not so big that reviews are numerous. I came here from writing fics on FF.net, so I was used to getting feedback like every chapter. FF.net has a huge audience and so you're more likely to get reviews there. When I got to dokuga, though, there were a lot of times I thought people just didn't like my stories or weren't reading them through because I got like no reviews. But then imagine my absolute shock when I get nominated for some awards this quarter

In summary, don't let reviews get you down or up. If you are specifically looking for feedback every time you post, I would post on FF.net instead then. Dokuga isn't very free with reviews, I've noticed, which isn't bad at all - it just means the majority of Dokugans are like me and really bad about reviewing >_>

Logged Logged

piratequeen0405
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 9
I rarely use review count as a criterion to judge a story. A less active fandom and/or a less popular pairing is not going to get the numbers, regardless how well written, that other stories get. I look at fandom, pairing, genre, and an interesting summary, and within a few paragraphs, I can usually tell whether or not I want to continue reading.

"If you don't get reviews, how are you supposed to know if people enjoy your work?"

I think most of us when we started posting had similar concerns. The best advice I can give is don't give up and *try* not to compare your numbers to other authors numbers. You will not get hits/reviews as a newbie that a BNF will get. Just be patient and trust your readers, even if in the beginning, there aren't that many. If you take your writing seriously and constantly seek to improve your storytelling skills, your work will reflect it and those few people who took a chance on your story will recommend it to others.

The first several chapters of the first fic I posted had a few dozen hits and a couple reviews. 50 chapters later, I'm still shocked and amazed at the support I've gotten. Readers can be wonderfully generous and giving--you just have to be patient and establish a relationship with them. Keep writing and posting, and they will find you

Logged Logged
Ejunkie
Pup
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
AmaViarra wrote:

I have read some stories that had A LOT of reviews and when I began reading the story I couldn't understand why it had so much feedback. Most of the time the chapters were short, lacking depth and just not my personal preference.

I think a story is successful if the writer of the story likes their own work, and put dedication and time into the plot line and chapters. I'll admit that I write stories that I want to see, something I would enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing. If other people like it, that's wonderful and I always appreciate feedback, but It's not necessary for me.

One can tell others enjoy their work by the views, the favorites or the alerts set for the story. As long as you enjoy your own work I think that's the most important thing.

I agree with you here - although on some websites, it was the more chapters, the more reviews, regardless of quality or content. I actually made a word document of terrible quotes from one I read a long time ago, and when I found it recently, I giggled. xD;

As I know from my habits when reading, I nearly always forget to review, even on some of my favourite stories. I go by views of the chapters, to see how many actually got through it - but while I hope I can give someone else an enjoyable read, I also write for myself, and I like to think I'd continue without it. x'D

Logged Logged

Opal-Dreams
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 8
Success is liking it enough to wish to share. (I don't like to share things that don't meet my personal standards of 'well written', but I don't expect others to live by my standards of worthiness.)

Another of my definitions of success is, If I can make one person's load lighter, brighten their day, inspire them, make them feel an emotion, or even just make them smile, I will be satisfied with the result.

I know that when it comes to any art-form, and writing is an art-form, that I can like something that very few or no one likes, and hate something that everyone seems to love, so don't give up. Everyone likes something different.

Keep in mind you determine your stories' value and not some reader who isn't brave enough or motivated enough to review.Try not to let being ignored by reviewers get you down. Going without reviews proves you love what you do. And given enough time, work and faith, you'll get reviews. (Experienced that.)

In the end write because you enjoy it, and share it because you wish to share your enjoyment.

Hope that helps.

Logged Logged

Kyndred Raven
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years ago Karma: 22
The way I've personally started to rate my performance with writing is hit count. I don't think that the hit count for the first chapter should matter at all. Every time someone clicks on your link they are taken to the first page.

What should really matter is the hit count for the third chapter and beyond. These hits are "true" hits. You can tell that people are interested. They move on to the next chapter because they want to read more.

Although FF.net has a huge reader base, I sincerely believe that Dokuga has far more discriminating readers and writers alike. To me, 1 review on Dokuga equals 10 or even 20 reviews on FF.net. If I see someone hitting my story on all chapters, that makes me excited. It means that veteran readers and writers have found my work interesting enough to read on.

As for deciding on which stories to read - I hardly ever look at the number of reviews. The only time I will actually LOOK at reviews left on a story I'm reading is if I read the first couple of chapters and wonder why the fic is so popular. It's sometimes disheartening to see a story that is obviously written in a hurry claim thousands of reviews.

Don't worry though - judging from the forums and this thread, I believe that none of us have anything to fear from a low review count (although it feels pretty darn amazing to get feedback )

Logged Logged

Sapphire_Rose
Pup
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years ago Karma: 0
This is probably redundant at this point, but I learned a long time ago that review count doesn't guarantee a good story. I've seen stories that have over a hundered reviews yet are so terribly written while some of the best stories I've ever read can barely get 10 reviews. I say this in general, not just Sesshomaru/Kagome fics.

A personal pet peeve of mine are authors who refuse to post their next chapter unless they get a certain number of reviews. That right there turns me away no matter how well written it is. It tells me that you're not truly putting your heart into your story and is just using it as a pathetic popularity contest. I can't speak for other places, but it's become like that at FanFiction.net, but not enough for me to abandon it.

Logged Logged
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years ago Karma: 38
A secret wrote:

A personal pet peeve of mine are authors who refuse to post their next chapter unless they get a certain number of reviews. That right there turns me away no matter how well written it is. It tells me that you're not truly putting your heart into your story and is just using it as a pathetic popularity contest. I can't speak for other places, but it's become like that at FanFiction.net, but not enough for me to abandon it.

Umm - I actually take a little offense to that statement and respectively request that you're careful when speaking about pet peeves.

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years ago Karma: 277
Kagome Yuki Niwa wrote:
A secret wrote:

Umm - I actually take a little offense to that statement and respectively request that you're careful when speaking about pet peeves.

Actually, a lot of people feel the same about review demands. That is one reason why Miss Kagura made it a rule here that they are NOT allowed. The practice infuriated her to the point where she wanted to make sure that we did not permit it.

Review demands are not allowed here, as you know, and I don't see how expressing a dislike of them could be considered offensive on this site. I'm sorry if it did offend you, but it is a fact that most people find the demands themselves offensive. I can see where you might find it offensive to have this view expressed on a site that allows review demands, but not here.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
The reason I find it offensive is because I am a member of FF.Net and there are occasions where I like a certain amount reviews before an update.

For a site that caters to being respectful to all - I am surprised how that can't be seen as offensive. That's like me going on fanfiction.net and saying that I hate how on Dokuga I can't say certain things, have to adhere to a certain A/N word count, etc. I am sure that if I were to do something like that Dokuga members would be in an uproar and there is no doubt in my mind that it is something that would eventually be addressed.

I think the topic of what is done at FFN.Net and what people there do is not something that should be discussed especially where concerning pet peeves because I could definitely list my own. I am not trying to start a fight but this is not the first time that someone has said something like that and unfortunately I do find it offensive.

Dokuga promotes equality, happiness, safe talks, and taking care of their member needs and to ensure that their members are happy with the site. The above comment can be seen as rude, the above comment does point a specific group of people, and the above comment puts me on the defensive.

Three things that go against the very essence of Dokuga.

Logged Logged

MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years ago Karma: 29
Thank you, Wiccan!

I'm sorry to say, Kagome Yuki Niwa that this is against the rules - review demands. One cannot hold their story "hostage" for reviews.

Nor do I think that Sapphire_Rose was in any way rude. She was stating her opinion and I believe she has a valid reason for feeling the way she does. In fact, I think you'll find nearly everyone feels the same. After all, readers do not OWE writers a review. The reviews are offered to give encouragement and feedback to help the writer.

If you arn't getting a enough feedback, then either space your updates to allow people time to review, experiment with writing styles, or appeal to your audience with the specific questions, to help guide their responces.... for example: "So I tried something a little different this time, folks! What do you think of the time jump, techinique? Was it confusing? Did it help move the plot along? Feedback is much appreciated, so thank you in advance for the assistance!"

Best of luck!

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:How to determine fanfiction success... 12 Years ago Karma: 29
Kagome Yuki Niwa, I typed that prior reply BEFORE you'd posted the newest one.

Again, I don't think Sapphire_Rose was out of line. If you are sensative to any insult to FFN then I'm very sorry, but FFN has been a notorious stronghold for writers who plagiarise (and FFN who has paid mods and admins, is VERY slow to act on these reports) as well as members who have been known to get right nasty about NOT getting reviews and the mods and admins do nothing about it.

No one is saying the members their - as a whole - are a problem, its that the staff isn't doing what they are paid to do.

Its perfectly acceptable to wait on updates in order to provide ample time for the reviews to come in. I think the issue is TELLING people you refuse to make updates until THEY do what you expect of them - which is to review. Its not kosher to demand anything from your audience, no matter how helpful or inspiring reviews can be. its no ones job to review and you don't HAVE to update.

Logged Logged
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
I know what the rules are. Not the point.
The point is a comment was made I took offense to. I feel a certain away about a lot of things but I keep quiet. Why? Because offending someone is the last thing I want to do. I am sticking to my guns on this one. I am not fighting - I am defending my opinion. And my opinion is that this topic can become hurtful and this topic can be controversial.

I do what I do for a reason - thanks. It may be done on FF.N however it is done. Does it matter what the reason is? Nope - not that anyone cares. They see it as you say, 'holding a story hostage'.

It doesn't matter if you or anyone else sees it as offensive - I do.

Once again - promoting a happy enviorment at Dokuga? When it suits. If I were really aggravated then I would addressed it with a MOD but I merely asked to be careful because I took offense. And now? I just feel attacked. Thanks for that Dokuga.

So because I write on ff.n and do ask for a certain amount reviews then I am automatically catergorized with those that steal stories and rude. I have a temper no doubt. I don't tolerate flames, true, but now I am lumped in with those that steal. That's is defintiely how I feel.

I don't find it fair that because I feel like this topic is sensative that I am placed as the bad guy.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/03/30 13:14 By Kagome Yuki Niwa.

Go to top
  • Page:
  • << Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.