Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Contest Categories
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
To recommend a story, don't forget to include the link, author, and name of your story in the recommendation. Thanks for spreading the word! If you're looking for something similar to what you've read somewhere, ask here!
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Contest Categories
Sian
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
How come there isn't a category for best new author. I think it woud allow new authors a chance to shine on their own whithout being overshadowed by more experienced ones. Any opinions?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
Re:Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 22
I really don't think it's needed. If your story is good, it's good.

Not to mention the fact that the point to writing isn't for awards. It's because you want to write.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/01/09 11:35 By Lady Kirara.

I claimed Kirara's twin tails in the Claim Game.

~ Fairy tales don't exist ~ Because stories never die ~
The Norrington
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 3
And, how would you decide who was a 'new author'? Some one who had posted for the first time in a week? A month? A year? You could miss people just by setting a time limit.

I agree with Lady Kirara. It's about wanting to write, not really the awards. Not that they're not nice.

Logged Logged

Sian
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
I understand that but that is my point. You do feel nice when your work is appreciated.

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 277
There's no doubt that everyone loves to be recognized. The only problem is, as a previous post pointed out, who exactly constitutes "new authors." To be perfectly frank, the website is run by volunteers like myself who have little additional "free" time to do so. An undertaking of this sort would require determining the parameters of "new authors" and then a good deal of time being spent on the part of the Awards Admin checking to see if nominees met the criteria.

In addition, as far back as I can remember, I don't believe I've seen any Sess/Kag or InuYasha award group with such a designation. I know that the IY Fanguild didn't have it for as long as I was a member. The dokuga_contest awards, which preceded the awards on this site didn't have it. A Single Spark didn't either.

So, on the surface it sounds like an admirable idea, but when you delve into the realities, it's not what I would consider terribly easy to do. I will, of course, leave the ultimate determination to our Awards Admin, but that's my two cents' worth.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 156
Then there is also the fact that even if someone is new to Inuyasha fandom or Dokuga, they could well be seasoned writers elsewhere.

I think it is a nice idea, but it sounds like a category too hard to define and too troublesome and time-consuming for the admin to actually be carried out.
Besides, there are the first place winner bans to help prevent awards hogging.

I firmly believe that a good story will be noticed and applauded. But while recognition is a great thing to have, I don't feel it should be anyone's motivation to writing.

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 76
To get more down to who would be considered new...

I joined less then a year ago. I have been writing for almost nine years. Nothing published in anything more then a magazine but I've still be writing since I was in my early teens. Even though my first fanfiction, that I posted online, was just less then a year ago.

What about people who have been members for say, two years, who haven't posted a single work online in all that time but post their first one after so long because they finally decided to write something themselves.

I agree with Wiccan, it would take personal messages to each person and a conversation about their writing history.

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 60
It's not about winning. This is suppose to be a fun site to share ideas and works of art and writing. Having others pick a specific story as their favorite among many other stories, no matter the writing level, is that individuals preference. Telling authors who have won previously that their stories don't matter anymore because they are too well written for other competition is just wrong! It sounds like jealousy to me and not a fair contest for what you suggest.

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
Re:Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 22
BelovedStranger wrote:
Telling authors who have won previously that their stories don't matter anymore because they are too well written for other competition is just wrong!

I'm confused... when did anyone say that?

Logged Logged

I claimed Kirara's twin tails in the Claim Game.

~ Fairy tales don't exist ~ Because stories never die ~
Madison
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 29
EDIT:
Nevermind - I think I got confused -.-'

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/01/09 21:55 By xMaddiex.

Sian
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Contest Categories 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Hehe This is funny :)I didn't mean to get anyone rattled though. I just thought it would be nice. I also didn't realise that so much was involved in the process. I'm sorry.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.