Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
My first recommendation
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
To recommend a story, don't forget to include the link, author, and name of your story in the recommendation. Thanks for spreading the word! If you're looking for something similar to what you've read somewhere, ask here!
Go to bottom
TOPIC: My first recommendation
Demonlordlover
Miko
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:My first recommendation 15 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 6
No kidding! I remember the flack you got for the ending, too.

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
My first recommendation 15 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 277
I would strongly urge everyone to read Atonement by Miss Kagura - it is an excellent fic that will keep you on the edge of your seat!

http://dokuga.com/component/option,com_ewriting/Itemid,153/func,chapterinfo/chapter,77/story,30/type,0/

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:My first recommendation 15 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 51
I traumatized myself while writing that. It's funny how what is emotionally traumatic for the author is juicy entertainment for the reader.

Logged Logged

Special thanks to the Dokuga Reviewer's Guild for this signature!
You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

The few, the proud, the morally corrupt. - Agent Phisbon3s
Kagome357
Pup
graphgraph
Re:My first recommendation 15 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
I'm not normally a board chatter but I saw this and wanted to respond because I was very honest in my review of not the story but the Rin sex chapter. It was traumatizing for me. I'll confess something. When (it's kinda hard for me to write this) my sister was 12, the same thing happened to her. She was with a young 13 year old neighbor boy who didn't give her opium but they drank a bunch of wine from his parents' cabinets and my sister was fooling around with the boy and was ready to come home but the boy's 22 year old brother walked in, sent his brother out of the room and raped my sister. I know the circumstances is very different but it was painful to read and I couldn't get past it so I never finished your story and I hate that because I really liked it up until then. That's the reason why I was really so vocal about it. I didn't want to put my personal business out there like that so I get squirmish reading about child sex/drugs like that.

The thing that really irritated me the most was people running in to review it saying "this was tastefully done." There's no way to tastefully write about child sex and I think if you had done it in a different context, I could have been, well, not happy about it but I would have understood it better and I wouldn't have had such a flashback moment. I never meant my review as a personal attack and I'm glad you never saw it like that. I just wanted to explain myself here and back then.

Okay back to regular programming...

Logged Logged
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
I remember that.

I didn't find your review offensive in any way. I think I knew when I was writing that chapter that it was going to upset some people. If I was writing it now, I would have left the opium bit out, because, as you pointed out, it corrupts whatever feelings they had for each other.

It's really sad to hear about people who have real experiences about young girls who end up in those situations. It's even worse when an older guy comes along to take advantage of them. I'm sorry to hear about your sister.

Rin at that point in the story wasn't really comparable to other girls though, except in age. After seeing her family be murdered, living alone as a child, following Sesshoumaru around, and dying a few times, doing drugs and having sex really pales in comparison to some of the other events of her life. That said, it's a very real issue that affects a lot of real people.

I think those who said it was 'tastefully done' were referring more to the fact that it wasn't written like someone might write a lemon between consenting adults. They were young, clumsy, nervous, and utterly terrified, and I tried very hard to communicate that so it didn't seem so much like he was a predator or a pervert.

I got hatemail over the end of the story. Lots of it. Probably 25% of the people who review the story's last chapter are pretty much infuriated. Now that I know you a little better (from the messages we sent back then), I'm not sure that you would have liked it. It has a really twisted ending.

Logged Logged

You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

Kagome357
Pup
graphgraph
The ending was hated on, huh? Twisted ending, huh? I just might have to check it out...LOL Oh you have me wrong...I certainly LOVE the odd and twisted, having gotten knee deep into hentai writing recently and loving it...

As for my sister, back then the victim was often blamed even though she was just 12 but the guy still served 15 years for it so that was the good part. She's happily married for over 20 years and is living her life strong and I'm glad for that.

I thought the 'tastefully done' comments were odd but when you put it that way, I understand it better.

Logged Logged
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Yeah, I think they meant 'tasteful' in the sense that I didn't write something lewd that was supposed to turn on the reader like most sex in fanfiction. I would like to hope that no one found it erotic, at least.

I'm glad your sister found happiness. Lots of women never get over that kind of assault.

Logged Logged

Demonlordlover
Miko
graphgraph
Re:My first recommendation 15 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 6
Rape is never tasteful. How it is communicated to the masses can be. I feel the same way about a lot of things that happen in Fanfic. I'm not fond of InuCest, so it's beyond my comprehension that anyone could find incest sexy. Yet there are many MANY who do. It doesn't reflect on them as people, however. It's just one of those quirks that the web has wrought. Not to mention the sex appeal of both males involved.

Logged Logged

Kagome357
Pup
graphgraph
Demonlordlover wrote:
Rape is never tasteful. How it is communicated to the masses can be.

That's true. Rinseternalsoul's "Violation of Honor" is one of the best depictions of rape I've read in that she wrote it the way it was intended and didn't romanticize it and it came across that way. She did an excellent job of delving into his soul and showing his humiliation and internal struggle and his desperation for needing Kagome to helping him heal and love. I religiously follow her story.

Miss Kagura, my sister is very happy. She viewed it as something that made her stronger.

I don't like incest, yaoi, or mpreg (huh??) either. I'm not against gay sex but if I'm going to write a hot sex scene, I can think of a better use for a huge male tool and it's not shoved up the butt of another sexy guy...that just kills the fantasy for me. I think a lot of stories like that are written by younger writers who are titilated by the topic or whose young boyfriends have roughed them up and they're convinced it's sexy.

...well, sometimes it is but only in the context of a mature relationship where respect is involved. I'm just saying...

Speaking of following stories, I need to go and read Creed and thank you for posting that. I lost track of it after you pulled it from ff.net and often thought about how it was progressing...

Logged Logged
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
I can never stop laughin in Mpreg fics. The mental image gives me the giggles.

Logged Logged

Calophi
Pup
graphgraph
Heh, I only like that one Inucest fic. It'd take a lot to get me to read another one.

And I won't even TOUCH soulcest. ::shivers:: But as you said, to each their own.

I'm sure I read Atonement, and I don't remember feeling angry or anything at all. I should re-read it. =D

Logged Logged
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph

What is soulcest? Do I want to know? It sounds creepy.

Logged Logged

yukihime
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:My first recommendation 15 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 4
Miss Kagura wrote:
What is soulcest? Do I want to know? It sounds creepy.lol, it's basically a new term that i have only seen with Inu-fanfiction. it's Kagome x Kikyou pairings. XD something about them basically being the same person. i've never read any yuri where this came up but i think it has to do with the fact that they had the same soul. kind of like soul incest.

Logged Logged

Art by LadyShieru
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:My first recommendation 15 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 51
Yeah, KikyouXAnyone/thing tends to turn me off. Not that I'm a Kikyou-hater. Love is just a warm, soft living thing and she...isn't. I can handle AU Kikyou, but I think sometimes she's just thrown in the mix to make Kagome cry so Sesshoumaru or Inuyasha can hug her.

After said hug, her 'body betrays her' and bad citrus follows.

Logged Logged

yukihime
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
lol, yeah, i can understand that. i'm not really a Kikyou fan either. it's hard to see her in a light different from what Rumiko-sama painted her in. i can understand what she's been through but i think she dealt with her issues all wrong. >,< it's weird that this came up because i was having a conversation with a friend on MAL and he just loves Kikyou and hates Kagome. O.O weird i know.

Logged Logged

Art by LadyShieru
Demonlordlover
Miko
graphgraph
Re:My first recommendation 15 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 6
I should have the next chapter out soon on Creed. I've been really busy with other things and in RL. I've stepped back from a lot, though, and that will hopefully get me back on track.

Logged Logged

Demonlordlover
Miko
graphgraph
I've actually written a soulcest fic. It featured a sort of spiritual 'thing' where Kagome could feel Kikyo but not in the literal sense, and didn't know it was Kikyo. A sort of need on Kikyo's part to find satisfaction through her reincarnation, that need to bond. Since they aren't family and it isn't really incest or another of my personal taboos, I thought it was a great way for me to break through a former writing block (yuri).

Logged Logged

Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:My first recommendation 15 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 51
That sounds interesting. Is this story posted anywhere? I'd like to read it!

Logged Logged

yukihime
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Miss Kagura wrote:
That sounds interesting. Is this story posted anywhere? I'd like to read it!i second that.

Logged Logged

Art by LadyShieru
Demonlordlover
Miko
graphgraph
It's only posted to my LJ writing journal. I have a lot there in terms of drabbles and one-shots featuring the cast. A Rin/Kohaku one-shot, a Kouga/Kagome one-shot, a Kouga/Kagura one-shot, etc... I might upload them to mediaminer one of these days.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.