Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Advice/help for quitting smoking
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Advice/help for quitting smoking
insomniac_amy
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Advice/help for quitting smoking 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 95
I'm quitting smoking! Today is day 3 without a cigarette. I was wondering if there are any former smokers who have any advice that might help.

Logged Logged

I claimed Shippo`s mushroom in the claim game.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Advice/help for quitting smoking 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 76
The way I did it doesn't work for people unless they have really strong will power. I started at 14 and smoked nearly a pack a day when I quit at 19. I just stopped. It's kinda strange but I'm of the thought that when you decide to do something and really mean to do it, then you will.

Edit: Juicy Fruit gum... my grandpa used to always carry it and chew a piece so he didn't smoke when he was around us kids... don't know if it really works, but hey.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/10/31 22:22 By Knight of Disorder. Reason: Forgot something....

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
QuothTheDragon
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Advice/help for quitting smoking 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 6
Congratulations! Though I haven't ever been a smoker, I have broken a food addiction. I do occasionally have to keep myself in check, but it has gotten easier with time. I still have a lot of weight to lose though >>. I have also been around people (my parents) who were quitting smoking.
Though I would like to say that me reminding them that with each cigarette they were losing minutes of their life, it was really all up to them. (And perhaps the ridiculous amount of tootsie pops consumed- apparently it helped with the urge to smoke.)

Just remember that you have us here on dokuga if you ever need a word of encouragement. I hope you let us know how you're doing!

You can do it!!!

Logged Logged
Jade R. Rayne
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Advice/help for quitting smoking 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 3
I know this may sound odd, but I had to ask my fiance to stop smoking because I couldn't deal with the hazardous smoke anymore. He used to stress smoke, 'eat' smoke, and bored smoke... so he easily when through one to two packs a day.

We got into an obsessive fight over it and I told him I couldn't be with him unless he stops for the baby's sake. We began to ask advice from his parents and family members about quitting, because they were chain smokers too.

They said, if you keep a pack or two of cigarettes with you everywhere you go, you'll have less craving than not having it with you. Something about not having 'backup' can trigger psychological response and induce the cravings. So, that's how he quit.

That, and a lot, a lot of gum and moodswings.

Oh boy, the moodswings were not fun at all. Bring on the ibuprofen and tyenol too.

All in all, he went from one to two packs a day to none within two months. Surely, he had to gradually smoke less and less with each passing day. But it worked! He's been smoke free for 2 years now!

And congrats for taking the next step towards a healthier life for you and your loved ones!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/10/31 22:22 By Jade R. Rayne.
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re:Advice/help for quitting smoking 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 216
I commend you! I'm sure you've heard it all the while you've smoked about what it can do and does to your body, as well as things it can do to those around you. I honestly doubt there are smokers that don't know, so I wont go into any of that.

I myself have never started, so i have no real way to help you out. Some say cold turkey, others say the patch, gums, drugs, even fake cig's that puff out mist instead of smoke, etc... What i can say is that my mother stopped when i was very young and had/still has an oral fixation to this day.

That being said, i can recommend, that you begin to work out any time you feel the need to start again, carry gum, tooth picks, anything that you can use to fixate on that stimulation.

But as to really stop, if nothing else, think about the $$.

MY personal "why you shouldn't smoke cigarettes" moto is this:

20 cig's a pack = (average) $6.37
200 cigs a carton = (average) (i cant find a real answer on this so imagining 10 times as much but with a discount, here they are abotu $36 - $42 a carton so I'll go with that.

If you smoked 1 pack a day from a carton, that on the low side cost $36, then your spending about $1320 a year on cigarettes that do nothing for you and are wasted once used. If you live in NY, then you're probably spending two to three times as much.

That is a lot of money your now saving yourself!

Logged Logged

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
insomniac_amy
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Advice/help for quitting smoking 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 95
Thanks for the advice and suggestions, plus the encouragement helps. This is really hard for me. I've been a heavy smoker for over 20 years. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. I do feel like I've replaced one bad habit for another because now I seem to be snacking more often. I've bought some low fat, sugar free things to snack on so hopefully I won't gain a lot of weight like many people do when they quit.

JadedRayne wrote:
I know this may sound odd, but I had to ask my fiance to stop smoking because I couldn't deal with the hazardous smoke anymore. He used to stress smoke, 'eat' smoke, and bored smoke... so he easily when through one to two packs a day.

That's me! I was smoking all the time! I'm trying to stay away/limit activities that make me want to smoke.

r0o I'm trying to focus on all the money we'll be saving. My hubby has promised to take me on a trip for my birthday in March if I can stick with it.

Logged Logged

sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re:Advice/help for quitting smoking 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 216
hmmm, well i can say this, if you go to chocolate, get dark bittersweet. it's less bad for your body and not as habit forming.

And yey for your hubbins! Like i said, i think all smokers know the risks, and things that they do so there's no point in going into that, but when you sit back and look at the money suddenly it's not so awesome.

I pitched the math at one pal of mine that smokes, her and her hubbins, they are 2.5 carton's a week, at the time, and this was years ago b4 some of the greater price hikes, we figured in 1 year it was costing her and her hubbins about $3400 a year to smoke. She was interested in quitting as well, b/c they had an 8 year old, and they wanted to stop for him.

she was all WTF! when we broke it down. Actually told me of all the people that told her a reason to stop that was the best argument.

I've always said, it's your body, you do with it what you want to, and if you want to spend $1500 on slow death sticks, that's all you. Some people use guns, other's alcohol, not my business, is what i've always said, but $$ is a great equalizer when it coems to what your wasting.

I get mad at the end of the month when i realized i ate lunch out so much that i spent nearly $75 - $100 a month JUST at lunch, so i know it works because it makes you realize what a waste it is.

Logged Logged

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
Jade R. Rayne
Pup
graphgraph
insomniac_amy wrote:
Thanks for the advice and suggestions, plus the encouragement helps. This is really hard for me. I've been a heavy smoker for over 20 years. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. I do feel like I've replaced one bad habit for another because now I seem to be snacking more often. I've bought some low fat, sugar free things to snack on so hopefully I won't gain a lot of weight like many people do when they quit.

Oh gosh, I hate to mention that my fiance did gain quite a bit of weight from just not smoking. I don't know why but it did... then again he did start snacking a lot. Mostly on fried foods and soda, so I think you will be just fine!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/10/31 23:43 By Jade R. Rayne.
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Advice/help for quitting smoking 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 54
When I quit over 2 years ago, I used the Quitometer on facebook, which helps you keep track of how much money you have saved and how many cigs you haven't smoked. It helped me to know it actually was making a difference and it even gives little tips on what's happening with your body the longer you stay off of them.

After 2 years and 15 weeks, I have saved 2,140.35 dollars and not smoked 6,689 cigs .

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
insomniac_amy
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Advice/help for quitting smoking 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 95
Jade, I think the snacking has something to do with the whole hand to mouth habit you develop while smoking. I've always heard sayings about idle hands lol

r0o I'm sort of a tight-wad so I'm not sure why the money thing hasn't worked with me before.

Congrats to you for breaking your own habit Hairann! and all the others who've managed to quit!
Thank you I am so gonna check out Quitometer!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/11/01 06:35 By insomniac_amy.

Kagome Ketchup
Pup
graphgraph
Congrats! I used to smoke too but quit cold turkey.
The smoking was still at the level of a psychological addiction
so it was relatively not hard to overcome.

Chewing gum and avoiding places and people who smoke
helps. And always remind yourself that staying smoke free
helps maintain your youthful skin.

I wish you all the success in this campaign!

Logged Logged
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Advice/help for quitting smoking 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 38
Congrats<3
I'm a social smoker, drinker, etc.

Basically usually when I club hop;

I honestly don't suggest quitting cold turkery UNLESS you have the strength of will. I've done stuff (highly addictive stuff because I'm young and experimental) and the only reason I didn't get addicted after more then a couple of times is by sheer strength of will. If you feel like you do have the strength of will to withstand the immediate adverse effects on your body then I can see no reason why you shouldn't.

Preventing the craving is different - I have friends that do something productive and healthy. A friend of mine just quit a harder drug recently and when he gets a craving he goes running. It tires your body out and directs your thoughts to how you're feeling not to mention his body is becoming beautiful and healthy x///x

However, this can also cause adverse effects as well; when tired you may lose the strength to fight off the craving if it doesn't help prevent it.

I wish you good luck!!

Logged Logged

Sy Sheer
Pup
graphgraph
I grew up around a grandmother who smoked without a care that I was around, so I've heard several different ways to quit. All I can say is that everyone here has given you an amazing amount of ways to quit that really do help. You have my congratulations that you've made this decision and that as long as you have people who can give you an encouraging word when you struggle will help it be much easier.

Keep up the good work.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.