Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
What was popular when you were a kid?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: What was popular when you were a kid?
PhoenixBlade
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
Come on, you know you've seen them. Things that the kids these days consider the "in" thing. They're popular for who-knows-what reasons and you don't have a clue or don't really care for those things. You know what I mean.

Recently, I've noticed that the kids nowadays are really into these colorful wristbands that are supposed to look like something when you take them off... but I still don't get the point of them at all!!!! Why, when I was a kid...!!! lol I feel old. *sweatdrops*

So what was popoular, the "in" thing(s) when you were a kid? I remember the days when I was in elementary school, everyone had a Skip-It. Yes, a Skip-It. It was the "thing." I wanted one so badly when I was a kid, but my parents didn't understand the point of it at all so they never bought me one. I do remember it fading away for a while and they tried bringing it back by adding new snazzy things to it, but there were Bratz dolls or something or other that everyone was into then. lol

Lunchables too. You'd never think that food would have its own "in" thing as well. Whenever we went on field trips, whoever brought a lunchables for lunch was so cool, and I was always embarrassed to always bring a bulky bagged lunch (which I realized later that my parents always got me a lot cause they didn't want me to go hungry) or order the school's boring brown bagged lunch. Heck, even if they brought Lunchables for lunch at school, they were considered cool. I've tried it years later and to tell the truth, its not filling at all!

So, what was popular when you were a kid?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Banana
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
pogs (right? those coin looking things). Pokemon, beanie babies.

Is it weird I don't remember much from being a kid? =/

Logged Logged
Daniella
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 22
Hrms....the mid 70's sooo...that would be...*shudders* disco...oh star wars...that's really all I can remember lol I tried to block out most it....

Logged Logged

Velvet Sometimes
Whelp
graphgraph
pokemon cards. beyblade. yu-gi-ho.

Logged Logged

Banana
Pup
graphgraph
lawlz, I spent way too much on pokemon cards lol

Logged Logged
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 15
Rubber bracelets lol, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, haha the Thong Song! (we had to run to that every day in gym my entire senior yr!

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
Karima
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 1
Slap-It Bracelets, Pokemon, Backstreet Boys, Digimon, Nintendo64 and Playstation ORIGINAL

Logged Logged

PhoenixBlade
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
Ah yes, the infamous pogs. My cousins and I used to battle with them... Still don't know how to play with it though... never really got into pokemon cards (like the show though) but I was really into yugi-oh and the card game... didn't buy the cards to play but just to look at them. lol

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 29
pogs, slap it bracelets, gelly shoes, using words like: "psyche!" "not!" "da bomb", tamagotchis/giga pets/nano's, beanie babies, and LISA FRANK!

Logged Logged
Sakuramaru
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 5
Hypercolor T-shirts, Cabbage Patch Kids, My Little Ponies, Super Nintendo, Trapper Keepers, Glob, Sanrio stuff, (like Hello Kitty, Spottie Dottie, Kerokerokeropi, etc...), Vans shoes, L.A. Gear, British Knights...OH! Does anyone remember SLAM books? Those were the best!

...brb, I'm going to go find a time machine...

Logged Logged

I've claimed Kouga's Pretty Blue Eyes in the Dokuga Claim Game!
darkmousey
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 8
Going in order from elementary school...
Pogs, tamagachis, Furbies (until they just got creepy), pokemon/yu-gi-oh/other trading card games, slap bracelets, and jelly bracelets. I really only got into the first three.

And I just found out today that even some college students are into those new silly bands/bracelet things. I don't get it. *shrug* Well, even Furbies made sense at the time.

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 29
RL Stein and Goosebumps books!

Logged Logged
Rowdys girl
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 12
Oh brother!!! Is this gonna age me! Hula hoops, yoyos, barbie dolls (the originals), trikes, bikes, and wagons, Davy Crockett, baseball (this was back well before the millionaires' club took over), 3 Stooges, Abbott and Costello, Superman (with Steve Reeves). I Love Lucy, Milton Berle and Ed Sullivan were on TV. Yes, I saw the Beatles when they played the Ed Sullivan Show. I had to go to my friend's house because we didn't have cable at that time and only got the local TV stations. We got our first TV in 1954 and it was black and white.

We went to big fancy theaters that had only one screen to watch our movies and on Saturday mornings they had a special morning show for kids. For 25¢ you could see Abbott & Costello, The 3 Stooges and a myriad of cartoons, plus you could have popcorn for breakfast! And the whole thing was hosted by Captain Shipwreck of local TV fame. And you could sit in the balcony. Drive-in theaters were very popular too!

And we read Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Judy Bolton books and Doctor Seuss - heck we were his first generation!

We wore patent leather shoes with white anklet socks with hats and gloves at Easter and on Sundays; and girls wore dresses or skirts to school - never pants.

We'd play over at the local park because it was safe in those days, not so many deviants abounding. We could play all day and wander all over the neighborhood. No fear. The park had monkey bars, a merry-go-round, swings and wading pools, plus tennis courts and multiple baseball diamonds.

And polio was prevalent too. My mother made sure she got our family into the vaccination program when it came to town. I remember eating the sugar cubes they put the vaccine in. My greatest childhood fear was contracting polio and living my life in an iron lung machine - really scary. It wasn't popular, not by a long-shot, but it WAS surely prevalent.

Stop me now - before I write a book!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/29 22:11 By Rowdy.

This is starting to make sense... time to up my medication.

I live in my own little world, but it\\\'s okay, they know me here.

Even if the voices are not real - they have some pretty good ideas!

I don\\\'t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Until further notice, celebrate everything!
laenfante
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 11
Ya got me beat, Rowdy. I shared the late 60's and early 70's with Chinese jump ropes, clackers, POW/MIA bracelets (Vietnam), yoyos, trolls, Donny Osmond and Tony deFranco. And a young Michael Jackson. The Brady Bunch and Partridge Family were on TV, and my parents loved the Waltons.

Logged Logged
PhoenixBlade
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
Rowdy, laenfante, remembering things like this doesn't make you old, it just means that you've got more years of wisdom over us less knowledgeable ones! It's a compliment really!

Logged Logged
BlueHeavensAngel
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 7
Some other things I remember from when I was little:

Skip-it - I wasn't good at it. >.<
Jump ropes
Hula hoops- also can't do that, but I had them.
Easy bake oven! - I wanted one sooooooooo bad when I was a kid and never go one.
Rollerskates - They were the plastic kind that you put on with you shoes on.
Barbies! - Lol. I still have mine. Most of the clothes are 70's style and Ken's clothes sucked. The one suit for Ken has a big hole.
Pokemon cards - I collected them, but never used them. I still have them now.
Yugioh cards
Polly Pocket
Baby Dolls - we had one that got sick and you had to give it medicine and one that you could feed and had to change >.<
Radio Flyer wagon
Plastic kitchen and food - my sister and i would play house all the time. We even filled the removable sink with water. uh-oh! XD
Stuffed animals
Furbies - Oh god that was scary. i had one but i don't remember asking for it. I broke it on accident one day.
Tamagatchis - I never had one but it was popular.
Nintendo 64 - good times. I used to play Sonic the Hedgehog at my babysitters house on their system. It was awesome.
Yoyo - I always sucked at that. People used to bring them to school. I've never been able to yoyo.
The Looney Toons!! - I love those shows. I miss them so much. I wish they were still on. T_T

This is kind of not a thing, but I remember how popular Nickelodean was, especially All That, Kenan and Kel, the Amanda Show and the slimeing the always did. XD

I like Abbott and Costello even though they aren't from my childhood. I love Lucy was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. My favorite episode has always been the one where they work in the chocolate factory and can't keep up.

Logged Logged

DemonQueen17
Admin
graphgraph
Re:What was popular when you were a kid? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 66
Hmmm, Rubik's Cube, Atari, Nintendo (NES), Colecovision, Voltron, Cabbage Patch Kids, Garbage Pail Kids, Bazooka Joe, Slap Bands, Jelly shoes, the working women's wardrobe (shoulder pads *shudders*), the mallrat look (way too much Aqua-Net hairspray), hair bands, biker shorts, iron-on t-shirts, Strawberry Shortcake, Smurfs, He-Man, Thundercats (HOOO!!!), I could go on and on.

Logged Logged

Everyone has their addictions. Mine are fanfiction, Sesshomaru and KARMA!!!!!!!!!!

Bakusaiga is mine via the Claiming Game thread.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.