Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
What's up with ff.net?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: What's up with ff.net?
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
What's up with ff.net? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 78
Hey guys, any idea what's going on with ff.net the past couple of days? Trying to get into some of the stories is... trying. I keep getting an error message of some sort, with instructions to report the incident to ff.net. This is on many, many tries to read different stories, even in different categories. I can even be a few chapters into a story, and find I can't advance to the next chapter because I get this error message, so it's not that the site is down, or a story has been removed.

The extremely paranoid part of me (which is, admittedly, a large part) suggests that this might be a virus, trying to lure me into clicking on the instruction to report the incident to ff.net, and when I click, my computer will become infected. I have had some bad stuff happen to my computers on many occasions from ff.net, but I really don't this this is the case this time. Still...

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Aimee Blue
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What's up with ff.net? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 22
It's happening to me too. But then, FF has never been the most reliable site for me (viruses like it over there apparently), I'm plenty sure that many people have emailed the error already, and like you, I'm kinda dubious to do so in case my computer contracts something

Logged Logged

tenchi no mai
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What's up with ff.net? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 60
After having had to deal with servers, etc. as a webmaster, my best guess is that their server took a hit from a virus that disrupted whatever DLL system they use and rendered the links inoperative. The links are slowly being brought back online, and more of the links appear to be working now. It is my assumption that it will take some time, but it should be repaired. Give it some time and try again later. That's the best advice I can offer.

Logged Logged

Save the Earth...it\\\'s the only planet with chocolate! (Seen on a bumpersticker)
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:What's up with ff.net? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 29
I've had the same prob, but I've noticed several of the links giving me probs are starting to work now.

Logged Logged
Sp@ceMonkey
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What's up with ff.net? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 3
I've been having problems too-- everything works fine, but I can't actually open chapters to read them. :/

Logged Logged
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:What's up with ff.net? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 53
Yeah, I've notice this over the past couple days, but the error message is really weird.... The addresses it shows are so random, some are dial-up, DSL lines, or colleges; some located in Spain, Brazil, Canada, Hawaii...

Then the two port numbers I've seen pop-up are 117 and 119. Those are UUCP (Unix-to-Unix Copy), and NNTP (Network News aka Usenet) respectively. Both are used to copy files from one machine to another... it's almost as if it's requesting the chapter, but from remote machines instead of a database.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but well, like it was mentioned, FF.net hasn't seemed to be the most stable site in the world. *shrug*

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/25 20:03 By mitharus. Reason: I can't tell the difference between is and it... blah!
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re:What's up with ff.net? 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 216
I kinda hope this is the result of that stupid redbot thing, that they put a scare out about. if it is, wouldn't that be a great. You PAY someone to do a job, then allow someone to do it FOR you, and what to you get, a possible virus that is mucking up the full site. That would be karmic bliss!?!

Oh well I think its kidna working now, as for the virus' FF has, its no lie its not really them, but their Ad's, if you've never looked if you hover your mouse over the "help" button at the top right corner, it'll pop something that says Ad-blocker if you dont have one. it basically gives you abotu 12 hours free of ad's even though it says 24 hours. its only about 12. I find that i've put myself in the habit of just going there any time i read and clicking it so i don't see them.

Logged Logged

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.