Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: :[
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
:[ 14 Years ago Karma: 216
OKay, well I seemed to have picked up something nasty on FF. I've got something now called "security tool" on my computer that's completely locking up everything i do. i can pretty much only get on the net, and i'm not even sure how long thats going to last.

Sadly i think i might actually lose my photoshop as well as a bunch of other stuff.

I have no idea when i'm going to be back online. I have internet, but yeah I think i'm going to have to do a hard system resent -_- if So... arting is going to suck from here on out. all current projects are suspended from here on out, if you had something you were waiting on i'm gunna hafta say sorry.

blame that other fiction site.

i've saved my plunnies and all the art i can. i hope its enough.

- r0o

Logged Logged

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 40
D8

Oh no, r0ochan!!! mou.. i hope it all gets fixed soon!! it seems that there are viruses floating around everywhere!!

Logged Logged

-Banner by the lovely, Priestess Skye

I claimed Miroku`s Staff in the Claiming Game!
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
:[ 14 Years ago Karma: 216
I did a system recovery! its already fixed!

I guess if your going to FF, watch out for anything that says "SPCMBCON.COM" thats what got me.

I'm so glad nothing was lost! plunnies and arts as well as PS are all safe!

but sadly my tummy hurts from making myself worry. I'm going to try to sleep soon...

Whatever you do!

DONT CLICK ON ANYTHING THAT SAYS SECURITY TOOL from FF.
I dont even know how i got it. :

Logged Logged

On HHr Shipping
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Time on my hands
Whelp
graphgraph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 3
Before you wipe everything, go to Malwarebytes.org. I got a nasty virus off of a yahoo homepage link. A news story of all things. It disabled my task manager, erased my restore points, put an advertisement for the fix it software as my desktop background, and every time I accessed the net I got sent to a site that tried to make me buy their software to get rid of the virus.

I tried everything I knew of and nothing worked. I thought I was going to have to do a full system recovery. The free version of Malwarebytes purged it. I update it regularly and run frequent scans. I have not had any trouble since.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/03/09 08:38 By Time on my hands. Reason: sp
Time on my hands
Whelp
graphgraph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 3
Sorry I wasn't in time to save you the headache, but I'm glad you got it fixed and didn't lose anything.

Logged Logged
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 216
the system recovery got rid of it! which i'm thankful for.

but at th same time i think i'll look into that!

seriously i stressed myself out over it in 30 mins enough to feel utterly sick -__- so i'm heading to bed now that its not an issue.

lord i'm glad things have updated since the last time i did a system recovery. back in 1998 4 computer's back, i had to do one, took 2 hours and killed everything! thats why i was so very upset, seems they've fixed that since then. i'm glad :3

Logged Logged

On HHr Shipping
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 51
Don't worry, r0o, it can probably be removed without too much damage.

First go to start>control panel>programs>uninstall a program. See if you find it there, and if you don't continue!

Go to start>run and type msconfig. When the screen pops up, choose 'Diagnostic Startup,' and restart your computer.

You probably won't be able to get on the internet in this mode if you're using a wireless connections, by the way.

Anyway, go back to Start>Run and type regedit, and that will open your registry editor. You're going to want to navigate to two different places. When you click on the name of a an entry on the left, it doesn't expand. You have to click the little arrow next to it to see the next level down.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Run

Click this one, so on the right side of the screen, the entries pop up. You will probably find some sort of entry for this garbage in one of these locations, and when you do, delete it.

Go back to Start > Run and type msconfig, and then select normal startup. Restart your computer, and if the crappy software is still bothering you, continue!

Then go to Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Services.

This will pull up a list of all the services, and sort them by Startup Type. Right click the ones with suspicious names and hit 'Properties.' The first path on properties will show the 'path to executable,' and you should find one here that goes back to your evil software.

Disable service, but before you restart, go back to the registry editor and do those steps again. Sometimes programs put themselves back in if you don't stop them from starting up.

When that is done, restart, and that should stop the evil softwares from bothering you. Hopefully.

Logged Logged

Special thanks to the Dokuga Reviewer's Guild for this signature!
You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

The few, the proud, the morally corrupt. - Agent Phisbon3s
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
I am so slow.

Logged Logged

You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

beckyducky
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 27
no ms. K you're not slow!! I had a virus problemo too... >.< Thanks also to time on my hands!

Logged Logged

I claimed Goshinboku in the Claim Game~! trees rule.
AmIOtaku
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 14
Miss Kagura wrote:
I am so slow.

Miss K, are you tech savvy? totally sound like you are.

Anyways, I always find other than trying my best to avoid all the bad stuff (near impossible) best offense is a good defense: things like malwarebytes, ad-aware, avg, and windows defender. All free if you're like me and don't wanna pay.
My inlaw has said that he likes to also use spybot, but never used it myself.

R0o, glad you got your comp fixed. Definitely Kkow that wretched, gut twisting feeling. Can have me sick all day.

Logged Logged

I am off in my own world.

You want me to send a postcard or something?
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 54
Apparently it's virus week here at Dokuga, on Saturday, I think it was, I had some random virus attack my computer and have no idea where I got it. To make matters worse, it turned my own firewall into a virus. Thankfully hubby was able to get everything fixed with Spybot and I didn't have to reformat, like I did last time. Can't wait for hubby to buy me the USB card he promised so I can backup everyday, the last one was a couple of months back.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 78
I stay off of ff.net late at night or early in the morning, it seems like that is when most of the viruses attack, just like in a scary movie. I'm like that dumb lady in a gauzy little nightie and high-heeled shoes, who insists on going down in the scary basement, no matter how adamantly try to advise her it's not a good idea. I just want to read a harmless little story or two. What could possibly go wrong? When I notice movement in the internet address thingy on the bottom of the screen while I'm reading, I grab the power cord and yank it out as fast as I can. Otherwise the screen freezes up and very bad things start to happen. why is ff.net so full of viruses?

Logged Logged
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 216
Miss Kagura wrote:
I am so slow. I loves you! so it doesnt matter.

actually whatever it was, it wouldnt let me open anything. :l
*huggles* I'm gunna favorite this thread just in case something like that happens.
and i have no idea why FF has so many virus' i wish they didn't let stuff like that on their site. it was one of those thigns that shuts your puter down unless you buy the software to kill it. probably all fake too...

sighs

its fixed now so no worries *huggles you more*

Logged Logged

On HHr Shipping
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 26
Wow, there are viruses popping up everywhere, it seems... The firewall on my brother's computer has shot down quite a few Trojans that tried to get in. XD Anyway, it's great to hear that your computer is alright now! It would have been awful if that virus did serious damage.

Stupid viruses... stupid people who make them. >_<

*Huggles r0o* Glad you managed to get it fixed so quickly!

Logged Logged
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
I used to have issues on and off with this kind of thing, but awhile back I switched to Lavasoft's anti-virus/anti-spyware and since then, I haven't had any issues of this nature. I mean, not even one, and it's been like ten months and I visit some seedy places on the internet.

Whenever a site tries to access my computer, it pops up a thing and blocks it.

I used to use AVG, but that didn't really protect me as much as I wanted, and I've had Norton and Mcafee and a couple of others, but I get really annoyed with the ones that take up a lot of resources.

I work on a mac now mostly, so I'm not as picky about my pc, but I am very, very with Lavasoft.

Logged Logged

DemonQueen17
Admin
graphgraph
Re::[ 14 Years ago Karma: 66
sugar0o wrote:
Miss Kagura wrote:
I am so slow. I loves you! so it doesnt matter.

actually whatever it was, it wouldnt let me open anything. :l
*huggles* I'm gunna favorite this thread just in case something like that happens.
and i have no idea why FF has so many virus' i wish they didn't let stuff like that on their site. it was one of those thigns that shuts your puter down unless you buy the software to kill it. probably all fake too...

sighs

its fixed now so no worries *huggles you more*

I learned that lesson the hard way when I opened up FF during my lunch break at work. All of a sudden, XP AntiSpyware popped up, did a scan only to find malware, trojans, spyware, and worms. Not only that, according to the program, the version installed wasn't a registered version(why my employer refuses to pay for something as simple as network and internet security is beyond me, especially when it's a hospital responsible for patient information). What's worse is that my work PC was out of commission for almost a day and a half. The IT person had to take the PC and clean it. Now that's it's cleaned, I don't take any chances with opening that website. And it's a hard lesson, too. ALL the PCs at work are vulnerable and can end up with so many infections as well if people aren't careful where they browse. I don't know why the admins don't do something about this issue either, especially with so many authors with accounts. Oh, well, there's always Dokuga, an AD-FREE website. Woohoo!

Logged Logged

Everyone has their addictions. Mine are fanfiction, Sesshomaru and KARMA!!!!!!!!!!

Bakusaiga is mine via the Claiming Game thread.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.