Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Cliff... hangers
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Cliff... hangers
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: -666
As a writer or reader, I'm curious about how much anyone here loves or hates cliffhangers. I know that as a reader, they leave you wanting and that can be bad, but as a writer, they seem so important in keeping people curious as to what is going to happen next. I imagine there is a point where it's unhealthy for the story or even a way that they can be done that unfortunately drives readers away rather pulls them closer.

So, what are the opinions of these little endings that send many a person toppling over a very steep edge?

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Nobody
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
it depends, how often it occurs. THe prospect of that relief of finding closure to a cliffy is sure what drives them. But if its so constant in a story line it makes the fic mentally exhausting and frustrating. Im all about the nail bitting edge of my seat until net time kind of rush. But there something satisfying in having closure and leaving sated.

THen again, i put myself through the misery of naruto and bleach every week. I could just wait a couple and not have to be so distressed as to the fate of my beloved manga characters, but i am unable to not read...

Logged Logged
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 26
I don't mind the cliffhangers that much... mostly because I make sure to read the stories that are already completed. *Sighs* But yeah, back when I was reading the unfinished stories, the cliffhangers did have me checking for a new chapter every day. They're okay for stories that are updated regularly, but if the fanfic went months (sometimes years) at a time between every update... that's not so great.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/03/17 17:50 By Honey-Bee.
Possessed
Pup
graphgraph
I love anticipation and suspense. I do not shake presents under the tree, nor do I peek when someone says "Don't look!"

I don't mind cliffhangers at all, because the story as a whole is one big question, with lots of little questions along the way. As long as some of the little questions get answered each time, and progression is being made to the conclusion of the big question, I love the ride!

Logged Logged
LuxKen27
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 5
It depends on the "size" of the cliffhanger, so to speak - hopefully each chapter of a WIP or serial ends in such a way as to leave the reader wanting more, but its also important that the entry is satisfying, in that its moved the plot along.

The resolution of cliffhangers can also be difficult, especially if you don't have it mapped out ahead of time. If you burn your readers enough times with some great cliffie that's not resolved in any original/creative way, that's when you start to have them flee in droves.

I like to leave my endings open and ambiguous to some extent, but I also realize that the more different ways it can be read, the harder my job is in convincing the reader that my resolution is the best one, for the sake of plot or the characters.

Logged Logged
Mistress Sianna
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 26
Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with cliffhangers. I love leaving heartstopping cliffhangers in my stories, but I hate it when I'm reading a story that leavs off in such a way.

Really, I think it depends on the story. For example, when I write short stories (less than 10 chapters) I like to leave huge cliffys as much as posssible. When I write these stories, the chapters are huge in comparison to my normal stories so I have plenty of time to resolve the previous cliffy, and build up to a new one. This way I try to keep the readers guessing, and eager for more.

In longer stories, I only do such devastating cliffhangers rarely. Maybe one or two in the whole story. Other than that, I usually just leave small ones, or none at all. I think that when applied just right, use of cliffhangers can keep your readers coming back for more and more, but if overdone, I think it can frustrate some readers away. Sadly though, I think the only real way to find the proper balance is through trial and error.

Logged Logged

Pfft! I was gonna stop procrastinating, but I never got around to it.
Lady Shikibu
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 4
Call me crazy, but I love cliffhangers - unless they go unresolved for more than, oh, six months or something like that. For example, if I'm reading a story and its right before the climax I'll get up and do something else, just to prolong the suspense. Or if I've just gotten a new Terry Pratchett book I'll take it with me everywhere but I won't read a word of it and instead I'll do everything but read. A well written cliffhanger can be even better than the self-made ones like I mentioned. I do agree, though, that an overabundance of them within a story that isn't big enough to hold them does ruin it.

Logged Logged
Saholia
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 31
I agree with Lady Shikibu, I like cliffhangers, I just hate it when the author doesn't update and leaves me hanging and gripping my heart...lol. I mean--I do cliffhangers every once in a while too.

Logged Logged
DestinysTears
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 11
I love putting them in my stories (makes me want to write the next chapter quick and hopefully keeps the reader hooked) but I also like to read them. I suppose it gives me the drive to continue the story. For some odd reason, I love that feeling of angst when reading.

Logged Logged
Lady_Mist
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 17
It depends when they're made. If the person is a regular updater, then sure, go ahead. But if the person has a habit of making a cliffy and then leaving for months at a time, then don't even bother putting them in.

Logged Logged

MontiK
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 42
cliff hangers... there should be some sort of unofficial fanfiction law that only allows people one for every 7 chapters, or one per story... They're good things that keep the readers interested unless they're over done.

I am still trying to reconcile the image of one of my more fav authors cuz they nearly murdered me with cliffies...

Logged Logged

[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u211/ShexyMonti/MontiBannercopy.jpg?t=1236322064[/img]

^~~~~ Teensie made me a pretty Banner!!!! :D

Nobody
Pup
graphgraph
LMAO

Death by Cliffies!

Logged Logged
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 52

Logged Logged

Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 91
I use them quite a bit. But since i update twice a week or more you don't hang long nor are mine big ones. I only use those once in a while.

As for reading them, I don't mind them. But this is coming from someone that 99% of the time doesn't read ANYTHING any more. And when i do, most of the time, it's a complete story. So they don't bother me. But, like others said, it depends on the author and how they pull it off too.

Logged Logged

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 54
I love cliffhangers, I've even been called the queen of cliffhangers by one of my readers hehe, but I'm normally very good about getting the next chapter out so you don't have to wait long for the answer. Though I had a little fun with a cliffie in The Void and made people wake two chapters to find out what happens next hehe.

As a reader, I'm glad I only read finished stories as I do not have the patience to wait to find out what happened hehe.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Saholia
Supporter
graphgraph
MontiK wrote:
I am still trying to reconcile the image of one of my more fav authors cuz they nearly murdered me with cliffies...

lol

Logged Logged
phishbon3s
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Cannot resist the temptation......

*phishbon3s brusts into song*
Cliff Hanger! Hanging from a cliff!!!!!!! And that's why he's called Cliff Hanger!
Can't... Hold... On... Much... LONGER!

*giggle.snort*

Cliff Hanger Singers: [singing] Black Stapler! It staples and it's black. And that's why its called Black Stapler.

Sorry, I know this interupt the topic thread and I amm sorry, but I sooo couldn't resist.

Please, carry on!

Logged Logged

When he heard a sound which was bitter sound and a sweet sound all at once, which began like hello and ended like goodbye. ~ The Storyteller

“And then, Dave made an improvised megaphone by using a squirrel, some strings and a megaphone.”
- The Narrator from Dave the Barbarian

Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 24
Funny. XD I thought of that song when I saw this thread too. lol

Logged Logged

Oroyukae
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 20
I have a question [ please don't laugh ] .....how many is too many? I have noticed that my chapters are frequently referred to as cliff hangers but I do not realize it until reading reviews and then I get this quizzical expression on my face and go back to read said chapter - just to realize it is. Some are on purpose but most of the time they are not , and sometimes they just end up that way.

I too am torn concerning clifhangers. It's a love-hate thing with me. I have been known to check for updates multiple times a day because I am dying to know what happens. I have also uttered the ' D@#* it! Not again...' on occasion as well. It just depends.

Logged Logged
Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 24
Oro, I don't think you have much to worry about concerning cliffhangers. Yes, you tend to end your chapters with a famous cliffhanger, but you update so frequently [ not that I'm complaining, mind you ] that it doesn't become annoying. I'm a huge fan of your writing and I've been following each and every one of your stories like... well, like a stalker, I suppose. xD It just leaves me eager for another chapter and you always deliver!

Logged Logged

Sessylove219
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Cliff... hangers 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 33
While I have a couple of rabid readers that are probably shooting me cyber-daggers whenever they think of my stories, I myself hate cliff hangers. They drive me absolutely insane. I like to read stories that are complete, but generally do not prefer oneshots, so most of the time I can get around the cliffy problem. Lately, though, it seems like I am running out of completed stories that seem like they hold any interest to me. I am a rabid reader as well. There are some stories that I am currently hoping for new chapters, and can feel the pain that some of my readers must be feeling. This gives me some motivation to finish my own stories, so I guess that cliff hangers serve some purpose.

Logged Logged

Sessylove219 claimed Sesshoumaru\'s fundoushi in the Claim game! Hands off!
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.