Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
What is the deal?!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: What is the deal?!
Morgan
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 5
I've been going through my documents and rereading some fics I've saved over the years and one thing I noticed ALOT of authors have in common, is their tendency to write Kagome having the impression that Sesshomaru has tried every chance he got to kill her and the gang (of course this includes Sango, Miroku and Shippo).

..."He tried several times before..."

This is a thought I read way too often when Kagome's contemplating why Sesshomaru may have saved her.

I don't understand this trend. The only person Sesshomaru is constantly trying to kill is Inuyasha. Yeah, he's tried offing Kags a couple times, but never Sango, Miroku or Shippo. So why do authors keep writing otherwise?

I'm 22 and have been reading Inuyasha fics since the 9th grade and I can't tell you how many cannon fics I've read that have similar lines in them and it's always been a pet peeve.

Am I the only person with this opinion?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Creature of Shadow
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 18
Naw, I wonder that too. It doesn't really bother me most of the time, but it is used an awful lot. Not really sure why though. Maybe it adds to the affect? Like, the scare factor or something? Idk. Nothing I can think of is a good reason...

Logged Logged

Made by the wonderful r0o

made by the fabulous Fox
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: -666
I believe this is a result of trying to make Kagome noticeable to Sesshoumaru since there is very little interaction between them, especially in the beginning of the series. If she constantly thwarts his attempts to kill her, then that makes her remarkable, because he rarely has trouble killing anyone, and doubly so if they are human.

It's a difficult pairing to work with if you focus on being strictly canon. As a result, writers try to establish greater connections than what might be readily believable. You have to understand that most people who write fanfiction are novice writers, and their ability to weave a story is going to take a lot of practice.

Also, this thread could become volatile, so everyone be nice to each other like you always do

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Morgan
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 5
Lol, I certainly hope it wouldn't get ugly, but you do make a good point. The Sess/Kag pairing *would* be hard to work with if you stayed strictly within cannon guidelines.

Logged Logged
Creature of Shadow
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
All very good points. And who knows, maybe this will inspire more people to try something different next time? I don't necessarily think that It's bad the other way, but new ideas are always most welcome.

Logged Logged

made by the fabulous Fox
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 29
perhaps we lean towards reading different types of stories. I've found that its often more a case of Kagome thinking or feeling like he's tried to kill them all before, but if he really wanted to, then why weren't they dead? Because he certainly could have achieved it, even with Inuyasha. So she recognizes that Sesshomaru has displayed some form of restraint, in spite of her initial instinct to think he'd tried to kill them. But thats just what I'VE read and how I've interpreted what I've read. Like I said, its possible we are drawn to different types of stories, and that could be part of it too.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/08 02:55 By MoxyMikki.
Aura
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 10
Well I can think of twice he tried to kill kagome, and once where he wasn't so much trying to kill Miroku or Shippou but they were defintely super close to the crossfire. On the other hand I don't see people reference the times he saved Kagome either so I dunno. *Shrug* However, I can see it having a lasting effect as the first time they met he tried to acid her to death after all

Logged Logged
Velvet Sometimes
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 3
there are moments though, when he tryed to kill her in particular. like his attempted melting of her in his fathers tomb.

Logged Logged

Creature of Shadow
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
That's one situation though. I think she was talking about the fics that say he had tried multiple times. Which in actual manga/anime he didn't.

Logged Logged

made by the fabulous Fox
I Agree
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 11
They also might be affected by other peoples fanfictions. I will readily admit to reading those fanfictions and thinking 'Oh, yes he has tried to kill her a lot.' or, since I haven't watched/read the whole series 'I wonder if he's tried more times later.' I know in my head that he hasn't, but by someone elses thoughts I'm influenced. It's all based on what that author is thinking, and a persons perception of it.

You're right though, Sesshoumaru has NOT tried to kill Kagome that many times, it's just that he makes quite the impression of 'I'm going to kill you.' He's intimidating and a killer, and people remember THAT, not that he hasn't tried to kill her that often. Which means kudos to Sesshoumaru, since he has us noticing him more than the two main characters.

Logged Logged

Im never going to do that again until next week....

I iz the Master Agreer of Dokuga Island with my O.K. Stamp of Yes!
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 15
I have read it also.
It could simply be for the fact that Kagome is always trying to step in to save Inuyasha from Sesshoumaru and so authors add her into his wanting to kill whoever. I'm not really sure as the reason as to why though.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Aura wrote:
Well I can think of twice he tried to kill kagome, and once where he wasn't so much trying to kill Miroku or Shippou but they were defintely super close to the crossfire. On the other hand I don't see people reference the times he saved Kagome either so I dunno. *Shrug* However, I can see it having a lasting effect as the first time they met he tried to acid her to death after all

I can only think of once where he actively tried to kill her out of annoyance, after all she pulled out Tetsusaiga without much thought, and that must have really peeved him. Beyond that, there was the time when she shot at him twice with arrows, and he warned Inuyasha to get better control of his woman. It was kind of a slight against their one-on-one, samurai fight.

You can't compare the times he threatens to kill her with the times he sort of saves her. They don't have the same effect. The anonymous villagers around Japan need saving all of the time. It doesn't make her special to need saving. It's not hard for her to get in over her head and require saving. It is however, quite the feat for her to thwart him when it comes to killing her. He usually has very little trouble killing people, and since she bumbles around a bit, it would be twice as perplexing.

Also, if she manages not to be killed and does some damage back, then he might look at her as an equal when it comes to being a warrior. Writers who like this plot device would find this very inviting since they're trying to establish a romance between them.

Because many of us would like to believe that we are Kagome when we read and write these stories, the idea of making her special and intriguing to Sesshoumaru is hard to resist. Making her a human cockroach is just another method.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/08 10:24 By ladybattousai.

SesshysRose
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
I guess I never wondered about this because to each his own...if you can write of a particular instance where Sesshomaru tried to attack Kagome, then you certainly have every right to say as such...even if not, each person will write as they see fit...whether they think Sesshomaru is after kagome or not...it's their story...who are we to tell them it's "wrong"

Sorry, this hits home...I've been flamed due to writing my story "wrong" reason it took so long for me to actually post on this site again...

anywho, this might make people think deeper on this thought...and do some rewriting of their work...but the whole point of fanfiction is to write what you want to happen...not necessarily what is depicted in the show

Logged Logged

Banner made by the amazing r0o!!!
Dokugasona by JeniNeji
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
SesshysRose wrote:
I guess I never wondered about this because to each his own...if you can write of a particular instance where Sesshomaru tried to attack Kagome, then you certainly have every right to say as such...even if not, each person will write as they see fit...whether they think Sesshomaru is after kagome or not...it's their story...who are we to tell them it's "wrong"

Sorry, this hits home...I've been flamed due to writing my story "wrong" reason it took so long for me to actually post on this site again...

anywho, this might make people think deeper on this thought...and do some rewriting of their work...but the whole point of fanfiction is to write what you want to happen...not necessarily what is depicted in the show

Thats bad that someone did that to you -hugs-
I can't really see a right or a wrong way to write a Inuyasha or any other anime fan fiction. Purely for the fact that you are making stuff up the way that you want it to be. Everything can't be solely based off the anime or the manga because if it was then it would be a fan fiction it would just be a finishing to the show or book.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Creature of Shadow
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
I completely agree Miss Anna. Fanfiction allows you to write about whatever you want, however you want, and if people don't like it, they should move on and read something else. We all have our likes and dislikes when reading and writing stories and no one way is right. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

I agree with Lady B also. I would, however, like to see some more different approaches tot the whole thing. Maybe that could be a challenge here in the forum. I'm not saying it's a problem to write it the way most do, but as I said before, new ideas are always most welcome. If asked to look, people here could come up with some amazing things. They always do.

And I am sorry someone flamed you Rose. I <3 you. (: People who flame suck, don't ever stop writing because of them! Ignore it and move on luffs! No one can please everyone all the time. There will always be one that dislikes what you've done. Ya gotta count the ones who like it.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/08 17:01 By creature of shadow.

made by the fabulous Fox
SesshysRose
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
lol thanks guys... I'm glad I did come back...cuz I met all of you!

Logged Logged

Banner made by the amazing r0o!!!
Dokugasona by JeniNeji
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
-huggles-

Logged Logged

ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
SesshysRose wrote:

Not to sound insensitive, because I don't mean to hurt you anymore than you've obviously been hurt, but I don't think anyone is saying that writers shouldn't write this plot device. I think you're taking this entire thread out of context. The original poster is just wondering why people exaggerate how often Sesshoumaru tries to turn our favorite schoolgirl into a pile of ash.

If a story is meant to be "canon", then it's not about writing whatever you want. Alternate universe is that category. Diversion is that category. Canon however has to follow what has happened in the manga/anime. Since we all experience the series, Inuyasha differently, there will obviously be different interpretations of the material. This is where there is no right or wrong. Just one's interpretation.

But saying that Sesshoumaru has attempted to kill Kagome multiple times can't be an opinion. There is a right or wrong there. If he was really hellbent on killing her, the manga wouldn't have been so ridiculously long.

If people would like to say that he tried to kill her half a dozen times in an alternate universe setting, then there wouldn't be any controversy. There you can write whatever you want, and build their relationship however you like. There is no judge to tell you not to.

Logged Logged

Morgan
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 5
Not to sound insensitive, because I don't mean to hurt you anymore than you've obviously been hurt, but I don't think anyone is saying that writers shouldn't write this plot device. I think you're taking this entire thread out of context. The original poster is just wondering why people exaggerate how often Sesshoumaru tries to turn our favorite schoolgirl into a pile of ash.

If a story is meant to be "canon", then it's not about writing whatever you want. Alternate universe is that category. Diversion is that category. Canon however has to follow what has happened in the manga/anime. Since we all experience the series, Inuyasha differently, there will obviously be different interpretations of the material. This is where there is no right or wrong. Just one's interpretation.

But saying that Sesshoumaru has attempted to kill Kagome multiple times can't be an opinion. There is a right or wrong there. If he was really hellbent on killing her, the manga wouldn't have been so ridiculously long.

If people would like to say that he tried to kill her half a dozen times in an alternate universe setting, then there wouldn't be any controversy. There you can write whatever you want, and build their relationship however you like. There is no judge to tell you not to.
- ladybattousai

I am the original poster of this thread and what ladybattousai said is exactly what I was talking about! In Alternate Universe, people can write whatever the hell they want. I love AU's personally! But when it comes to CU's, she nailed what I meant on the head. Of course I still read the fics...I'm not such an uptight reader that one or two lines is gonna completely turn me off to the whole thing, but the constant exaggeration about Sess V. Kags irks me and it always has. If you're writing a CU, you kinda sorta have to stick with the story-line that's already been given to you, not what you want it to have been. If that were the case, you'd be writing an AU, plain and simple.
And to Rose...yeah I'm sorry someone flamed you! I'm not a writer so I don't know how it would feel to have a complete stranger blast you a new one, but I can imagine it hurts. However, I'm not flaming anyone and never have. This thread *has* been taken out of context, which wasn't my intention. I simply wanted to know why the exaggerations happen.

Logged Logged
Danyealle-sama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 91
I'm going to say this as someone that writes mostly in canon setting... it's that, a SETTING not forcing you to follow canon at all. You can if you want or you can twist it how you like, that's the beauty of fan fiction. If you got irked by something in canon, you can change it. That's where a lot come from. I take canon and twist it this way and that, making it different depending on where I jump off from or what I want to do with it. Realistically, if you are making a story Sesshomaru/Kagome you are out of the canon setting and into the realm of AU as well as dancing in OOC land, no matter how you go about it.

That being said, multiple can mean many things such as two or upwards. Depends on how you use it. And, if you want to do that, as long as you can back it up somewhere, go for it. If a reader doesn't like that, it's simple... you shut the story. There are a lot of cliche's in this fandom, that is one of them but if we eliminate them all there will be precious little to read left.

I'm not being nasty about it, just pointing out that it's a 'to each their own' thing. Most start out cliche in this fandom then find their own path later on as they grow and develop. You need to give them that chance and let them go for it rather than get huffy about it. We all have our pet peeves and things we think are just wrong and shouldn't be done but that doesn't mean that someone else doesn't enjoy that kind of thing.

Logged Logged

Fun fact: All writers are crazy, to some degree. There is a reason for it -- actually making it through a novel almost requires it. If you love to read, then you\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'re continually benefitting from other people\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s craziness.-From Cracked
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
At least for me, I'm just enjoying this debate. I really have no stake in how other writers craft their stories. And you are correct, Dany, when you say that it's easy enough to avoid a story that uses a cliche that you don't like. You just stop reading it.

As far as what canon universe entails, I understand that it's interpreted as simply a setting for many. I don't see it that way, but I also don't have an outright problem with it either. Fundamentally, I believe that the best medium is multiple universe. The setting can be canon, but many of the other factors can be manipulated rather freely. Perhaps this is an option that this site could consider for categorization.

In the end, I think the point of this thread was to satisfy curiosity, and to a lesser extent, to coax people to think about what they write. I don't believe anyone here is advocating intolerance for stories that don't fully appeal to them or saying that there isn't an audience for this particular cliche out there. I think it's just a matter of a few people saying why is it written that Sesshoumaru tries to kill Kagome multiple times when it's at best only once within the actual storyline. Now we're exploring that.

Logged Logged

Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:What is the deal?! 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 39
It's my opinion- at least to some degree- that how off base a story classified as canon actually is would have to depend upon how far along the original work was at the time that the fanfic author began writing their story. I remember going back and fixing part of one of my fics because I was reading the manga as the chapters came out and suddenly Sesshomaru got his arm back, so because my story hadn't accounted for it as something Kagome would recall, I felt it had to be corrected. My other fic, Sins in Dreaming, took off from the point in the manga just after Magatsuhi (if that's even the proper spelling, heck if I remember anymore) and eventually I got tired of constantly fixing things 'cause as I was writing, the manga was continuing on it's merry way. It also has to account for just how caught up the writer is with the full story.

Technically speaking, any fic classified as canon would have to account for the full length of the manga, the ending included, or be something that could have transpired behind the scenes without noticed by the majority of the main characters or effect the original story line. Anything otherwise could be considered divergence without actually being alternate. My personal pet peeve are the fics that, by their description, defy the original storyline entirely but are still listed as canon because they take place in the Feudal Era or something like that. Anything that branches off from the canon at any point other than the true ending can be considered Divergence without going so far as to be considered alternate. It largely comes down to how the author best feels their fic is classified. Sess trying to kill Kag multiple times.... that I can only imagine the fic author believes amplifies the emotional turbulence of the characters realizing they have feelings for each other.

As for being flamed, I personally would never flame someone because I know I would be angry and hurt if someone did that to me, and my deepest condolences to anyone that has been flamed. It's absolutely true what's been said here so far- if you don't like the subject of a story, stop reading it. Comments should be to support the author if you enjoy the work, if you don't like it because of how it's portrayed or the grammar is poor, share that with the author, explain clearly and delicately because the idea is to help that person become a better author. Flames are unacceptable, if a person really has a problem with a fic because maybe you think the material is offensive and classified improperly for such a work, report them to the site moderators, but don't verbally abuse an author because you simply don't like their story idea, no one is forcing you to read it and if you are subjecting yourself to something you don't enjoy because you either want to be angry or want something to complain about (I'm sure we all know at least one person like this) than you should be seek professional help for being an emotional sado-masochist, not brow beating people who are simply trying to express their imagination through some artistic channel.

Sorry for rambling, had to get that out of my system.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/09 17:33 By Freya Ishtar.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.