Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Honorific one miko would call another
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Honorific one miko would call another
Dlat
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Honorific one miko would call another 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 3
So, in one of my stories, Rin is being trained by Kaede to become a miko and I was trying to figure out what honorific she should call Kagome. She's not a -sensei, but would she call her -sama since Kagome is a miko and that's what the other people address her as? I know in the manga/anime she doesn't add any honorific to Kagome's name, but my story takes place when Rin is in her early teens so she's much older and I figured as her training progressed she would decide to see Kagome as a mentor or something since she is training to become a miko too. I was leaning towards -sama, but I don't know if that's perhaps a little too much since I kinda feel the only person she would ever address as -sama is Sesshoumaru. What do you guys think?

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Sesshomaru's Secret Admirer
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Honorific one miko would call another 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 95
I understand that it might be too much for Rin to refer Kagome as -sama. Perhaps Kagome-san? Apparently, -san is used as 'Mr, Ms,..etc." But this can feel like Rin and Kagome aren't close. You can use -senpai because Kaede is the -sensei and Kagome is more of a mentor. In the Japanese system, calling one -senpai is normal in every organization. It is a bit modern for the feudal era. So, why not let Rin call Kagome as "nee-chan". It makes the two look close to each other and calling an older friend 'nee-chan' is really normal. That's what I think~

Logged Logged

Emiko
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Honorific one miko would call another 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 59
The proper honorific would be -senpai or Kagome-senpai, rather. This honorific is used when a junior rank addresses a senior rank in terms of, for lack of a better description, education or experience. Examples:

In my kendo class, the students who have been there longer than I have, I address as "name"-senpai.

In school, students who are further than I am in education are my senpai.

Even at work, a coworker of similar rank (i.e. not my manager or supervisor) with more work experience can be my senpai, especially if they trained me. However, there are other honorifics that may be more appropriate in the work environment, so this does not apply across the board, so to speak.

Logged Logged
Emiko
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Honorific one miko would call another 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 59
Hmmm, I didn't take into consideration the timing of the fic, so I can't claim historical accuracy to my early post. But even if I did take it into account, since I'm not a native Japanese speaker, I can't be sure. I only know that it is accurate in current speaking terms. I'm not sure if my native speaking friends may know either, but if you are a stickler for historical accuracy, I could ask them.

But if your storyline is following the "Kagome is like my sister" track, perhaps sticking to Kagome-(o)nee-san would be a safe bet. Some speakers would say that this is conversationally inaccurate, since using honorifics within the "family" unit to directly address the person is considered for children. But, honestly, even young adult speakers do it. Hell, I call my mom "Okaa-san" all the time (funny part is, my mom is part Chinese, not Japanese, lol).

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/10/06 02:35 By Smoke Goddess.
BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Honorific one miko would call another 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 60
Rin can call Kagome 'miko-dono' or 'Kagome-dono'. 'Dono' is similar to 'sama' as it means lord/lady/milord/milady. However, 'dono' is less formal and often carries undertones of personal affection, so that honorific would be perfect.

I've also used it myself in one of my stories

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Honorific one miko would call another 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 156
Well Sango calls Miroku Houshi-sama, and Miroku calls Kagome with -sama, although she's younger than him. Also Kagome reciprocates and calls him Miroku-sama. So using -sama could be justified going by the canon.

But like BelovedStranger, -dono was the first honorific that crossed my mind.

Logged Logged
dancingfingers
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Honorific one miko would call another 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 33
Chie wrote:
Well Sango calls Miroku Houshi-sama, and Miroku calls Kagome with -sama, although she's younger than him. Also Kagome reciprocates and calls him Miroku-sama. So using -sama could be justified going by the canon.

But like BelovedStranger, -dono was the first honorific that crossed my mind.

I agree with BelovedStranger and Chie. Even if Miroku is clearly a trained monk, he still call Kagome with utmost respect by adding -sama to her name (aside from his groping). I think it's because her status (and power) as a miko, although Kagome has no idea about miko before she came to the past.

-dono can be used too, but sorry that I'm out of topic... I LOL'd at that because it reminds me of Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin. He called every woman with -dono in their names, even to his own wife, Kaoru. Adorable old man.

Anyway.

Onee-san, on the other hand, I think is a modernized term for big sister/older female, CMIIW.

If you decide to stick to the timing of the era, I'll suggest using -sama or -dono.

Logged Logged
landofthekwt
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Honorific one miko would call another 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 8
Depends on the era. Kagome is the only one who uses -san in the manga. Kikyou and Kagome refer to each other without honorifics. Kaede calls Kikyou -oneesama. Kagome calls Kaede-obaa-sama (grandmother).

The Sesshoumaru, Inuyasha and Kogua refer to Kagome as Kagome without honorific.

Miroku refers to all three mikos as -sama. Kikyou and Kaede call him Housi-dono while Kagome calls him Houshi-sama.

Rin seems to call all adults -sama. Only Shippou, Kohaku and Ah-Un lack honorifics from Rin.

A good reference guide is www.iyfanfiction.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=601&sid=a662ce6e8c99760c89 though it does have mistakes.

The above are just what RT used in Inuyasha. You are free to do whatever you want. After all Inuyasha refers to Kaede as baba. Kagome as temee when she sits him and Miroku as bouzo but that is just IY being rude.

Logged Logged
Dlat
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Honorific one miko would call another 9 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 3
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go with -dono! ^_^

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.