Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Disable Anonymous Readers Error
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Disable Anonymous Readers Error
Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Disable Anonymous Readers Error 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 49
Hi.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've recently made 2 new stories and my anon. readers were unable to view them. Even though I purposely left the check box unmarked, the option was automatically enabled anyway. I only happened to notice this when I took a peek under the properties tabs for both fics.

Anyway, I just thought it was a little weird, so I wanted to bring it up.

Logged Logged

I claimed Midoriko`s Hair in the Claim Game!

Dokuga Minions Unite! Be positive. Be proud. Show support for Dokuga!
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Disable Anonymous Readers Error 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 46
This happened to my new oneshot as well. I went to edit a few details after I had posted it and both options for anonymous reading/reviews were enabled actually without my doing O.O

Logged Logged

Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Disable Anonymous Readers Error 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 53
If you ever notice around when it does it let me know. I can't see anything that should be causing it to swap just those values around. :/

I'd almost think that it was swapping all the check box values, but in that case the genre ones would be messed up too.

But if you can let me know more on what exactly was going on, then maybe I can track down if there's some weird bug somewhere.

-J

Logged Logged
Aviel
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Disable Anonymous Readers Error 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 49
Hmm... The check boxes (for the anon. readers/reviews) don't swap, like randomly or repeatedly, or anything. The issue only occurs after a new story is submitted. For instance, whether or not those boxes are checked, the options are enabled anyway.

It's not a big problem, but it's a bit slippery, and one would have to go back and manually un/mark them. I wanted to bring attention to it in case others haven't caught it yet.

Logged Logged

I claimed Midoriko`s Hair in the Claim Game!

Dokuga Minions Unite! Be positive. Be proud. Show support for Dokuga!
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Yes, just like Aviel explained, it only happens to newly submitted stories. I check the boxes I want, but somehow the anonymous reading/reviews boxes get checked as well. I didn't have a problem with any other options though, like genres.

Logged Logged

Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Disable Anonymous Readers Error 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 17
I just noticed that this happened to my new one is well. I just went and checked and voila, disable anonymous reading checked even though I never checked it. I did, however, have allow anonymous reviews enabled like when I set the story up in the beginning.

Logged Logged

Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Hrmm... when I glanced I didn't see anything obvious as the default in both the database and form is a '0' (not selected). :/

Since I know it's doing it during a new story creating, I'll trace it when I have a chance to, and see if I can't find where the thing is thinking that the checkbox is selected when it isn't... Wouldn't surprise me if I have a logic bug in there somewhere where I've got 0/1 reversed for which is true/false.

-J

Logged Logged
BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Disable Anonymous Readers Error 11 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 60
I hope this error doesn't happen to me. It seems like a bother. I hope things will be fixed ^^

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Oh, I forgot to mention another thing in reference to this error. Every time I try to make some changes in the properties - genres, rating, synopsis e.t.c. - I always have to do it twice to be approved. The first time never shows any change. I am sorry for all these complaints. It's actually not a big problem because I am aware of it, so I always know to make the changes again in order to be accepted. Still, I thought to mention it in case anyone else was experiencing a similar problem.

Logged Logged

Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Stella wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention another thing in reference to this error. Every time I try to make some changes in the properties - genres, rating, synopsis e.t.c. - I always have to do it twice to be approved. The first time never shows any change. I am sorry for all these complaints. It's actually not a big problem because I am aware of it, so I always know to make the changes again in order to be accepted. Still, I thought to mention it in case anyone else was experiencing a similar problem.

Yes, I've seen this.

The change is made in the database the first time, but how the site pulls the info, it grabs the story information before it makes the changes from the form, and doesn't again if there were modifications, so that original info is what's used to fill out things even though it does make the modifications and is now wrong.

If you just forcefully reload the page after the first time you submit the form, it should be reflected in the properties. If not, then there's something else needed to be looked at. To "fix" this, I need to change the order of how the page is displayed, and I just don't know the site software well enough to do it without the possibility of introducing many more bugs, so... :/

-J

Logged Logged
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Thank you very much for the helpful explanation, Mith! It's no problem really! I'll try your advice and if it doesn't work, I'll keep doing what I have been doing.

I'm most thankful for your reply ^^

Logged Logged

Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Okay, I just checked this and I wasn't able to reproduce it creating a new story with the check boxes selected...

Below is a cropped SS of the page; I just created the story and switched over to the properties tab, and they're unselected. I also opened another browser and hit the story not logged in and it came up fine.

-J

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Disable Anonymous Readers Error 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 277
Along these same lines, is there something we can add to the summary, along the lines of the rating and category, etc., that will alert readers that a story has been tagged to disallow anonymous reading? I've had a number of people contact me offsite to ask about this, hence my posting it here...
:?
~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Disable Anonymous Readers Error 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 53
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
Along these same lines, is there something we can add to the summary, along the lines of the rating and category, etc., that will alert readers that a story has been tagged to disallow anonymous reading? I've had a number of people contact me offsite to ask about this, hence my posting it here...
:?
~~Wiccan~~

I'm lazy ... Just added it in so there's now a 'Anonymous Reading' tag at the end. Should say 'Yes' or 'No'.

And it should be on both the main page and the Fanfiction page. Yay!

-J

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Disable Anonymous Readers Error 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 277
Dude, you soooooo ROCK!

Thanks so much, Mith... don't know what this place would do without your expertise!!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.