Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Request: Writer's Workshop
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Request: Writer's Workshop
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Request: Writer's Workshop 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 25
I have been spending a lot of time in chat lately, and doing a lot of shop talk, so to speak, with various other authors here on Dokuga.

That got me thinking: since we do hosted DDN's and GMDDN's, why not do a once monthly hosted Writer's Workshop?

Each month we could rotate hosts, and then just take a certain few hours (Say from 7PM to 10PM on a Saturday night) to gather in a group and discuss writing, from being stuck in a story somewhere in a plot point or to even address issues when it comes to writing fanfiction (like OOCness, how long is too long for a chapter, etc). It doesn't necessarily have to stick to one topic, or it could be topic focused.

I think it could be a useful tool for new authors, as well as well seasoned ones. Advice could be given, brainstorming could be done, etc.

I threw the idea out the other night, and it seemed to have some decent reception.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea, or am I alone in this?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Lady Nefertiti
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Request: Writer's Workshop 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 37
I think that's a great idea! If we hold something like this one a month (or any other time)it could help everyone who has a question or two.

I've actually spoken to some new authors who are hesitant to post their fics because of flames, intimidated because of all the other 'better' authors here. If we had a workshop or sorts, it could help them as well as the older authors who have a questions.

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Request: Writer's Workshop 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 25
Encouragement was one of the main reasons I even considered posting this. There are so many people I've talked to that are hesitant because they don't feel that they will be well received, ignored, etc, because of all of the amazing authors here. I think it would be a good forum to offer that encouragement, to help people hone their craft and become more comfortable with not only each other (in the case of those who aren't very social here), but also to feel more comfortable sharing their stories.

Thanks for your feedback!

Logged Logged
dianne
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Request: Writer's Workshop 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 11
I think this is a great idea! Not only would people be getting much needed help on their writing, but word could be spread about some of the newer struggling authors as well.
I really hope this plays through!

Logged Logged

Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Request: Writer's Workshop 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 76
I don't really participate in anything that happens in chat, but this does sound like a good idea. I've found that talking with people when stuck in a story or when having problems starting one often helps. So, I think it would be a nice thing to do. That all depended on how you went about it though.

Oh, well. Anyway, my two cents... it's a good idea.

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Request: Writer's Workshop 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
Actually that is a good idea. I don't generally participate in chat or DDN anyway but giving other writers a chance to talk about writing-related ideas is a good opportunity to ask questions, directions, and advice too.

New authors would especially benefit I think, experienced ones too, maybe to share knowledge, experience, and make suggestions etc.

It'd be a good exercise all round, plus, it gives the opportunity to pick the brains of other people too, especially if you're having trouble with plot or summaries or writer's block. Heck you could even host specific topics or questions like they do in the Chats or DDN's with the theme rotation thing every so often.

It'd certainly be interesting.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.