Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Canon or Alternate Universe?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Canon or Alternate Universe?
Fiona
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Canon or Alternate Universe? 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
I set my story in CU, but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't switch it to AU. It is set in the Feudal Era but I am mercilessly butchering the canon to suit my needs, and have incorporated various elements from several different cultures.

So, would it still be considered CU, or should I switch?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Canon or Alternate Universe? 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 156
It's your story, so it is your choice. It is hard to draw such a line, since strictly speaking all fanfiction (especially in this particular fandom) is an alternative take on the canon.
I've noticed a habit for some at least to divide Canon and AU by the setting - feudal or modern, that's one way to draw the line, I guess, but there are many ways to set the story in the feudal era and still make it AU.

My personal opinion is that you should change the universe to AU if you feel you have deviated too much from a canon setting or altered the canon storyline excessively. For me it would be enough of a reason to change into AU if the cultural influences you have incorporated are not historically accurate. But that's just me.

You should do as you feel best. Think of which feels more right to you, and which universe allows you the best premise to develop your story.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/05/31 18:04 By Chie. Reason: silly typo
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Canon or Alternate Universe? 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 38
Personally the only time indicate whether or not any story is AU or CU is whether or not I incorporate the original story line at all; if my fic is set in the Modern Day but Kagome did travel to the past then I still consider it canon. If Kagome never travelled to the past then I consider it AU.

Logged Logged

Fiona
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Canon or Alternate Universe? 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
Thanks for the input! I switched it to AU just because of how many creative liberties I have taken with it. :3

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/06/01 02:03 By Fiona Faucett. Reason: My fingers move faster than my brain. (Typo)
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.