Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Digitizing Pads
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Digitizing Pads
nautical_paramour
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Digitizing Pads 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 2
Do you think it is necessary to use a digitizing pad when working with a piece on the computer/photoshop?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Tally Mark
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Digitizing Pads 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 18
A digitizing pad? Do you mean a computer tablet?

No, it isn't necessary, but it does making things easier if you're doing your inking and coloring by computer. I drew with a mouse for years before I ever got a tablet, and it was frustrating at times, but managable. You can even do decent shading if you carefully manipulate your opacity in photoshop.

But, it's a lot easier with my tablet pen. The tip is pressure-sensitive so I can control the weight of the line, and I can draw straight into my picture as if I were drawing on paper (only, with that lovely Undo button ^_~ ). Before, linework was very hard on the computer, and I'd usually scan a hand-drawn picture and just color it with the computer--not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm just saying that outlines are tough with a mouse. I think I'm a lot more flexible in my art too now that I've gotten comfortable with my tablet (which did take awhile). So I suppose to answer your question, no, a tablet is not required, but it will save a lot of time and effort and your art might end up looking nicer. It's up to you whether you feel it's worth the money or not; I'm glad I got mine, but others may feel differently.

If you don't mean a tablet, what do you mean?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2008/06/14 16:25 By tallymark.
nopenope
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Digitizing Pads 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 3
Of course it's not necessary. It's just a means to completion - there are a couple of other ways. Tally Mark pretty much hit the nail on the head in their comment though.

Even if/when you get a tablet, you still have to get used to it, so there are some disadvantages that come along with it.

Logged Logged
nautical_paramour
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Digitizing Pads 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 2
Haha, no. I have no idea what they are called. I just read it in a book -- i think it was published in Barcelona, so that could explain the wording difference -- and it called it a digitizing pad.
I have never tried making any art on the computer. Truthfully, I am a terrible artist -- I can't even properly shade -- and I have only ever tried drawing on paper before. I thought it might be easier and worth a try on the computer, though.

Logged Logged
nopenope
Pup
graphgraph
It depends. You might want to try getting better on a usual medium - pen and paper - before you try a tablet. Personally, I am much more comfortable on paper than on GIMP or Photoshop. Also, remember that there's a chance that you won't take to a computerized drawing program and you'll have wasted a ton of money getting photoshop or corel or something like that only to forego it in favor of a traditional medium.

Logged Logged
nopenope
Pup
graphgraph
And don't forget that most good-quality tablets cost a fair chunk of money, too.

Logged Logged
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Digitizing Pads 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 51
I think Photoshop and Corel Painter both have free trials, so you can try them out beforehand.

Logged Logged

Special thanks to the Dokuga Reviewer's Guild for this signature!
You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

The few, the proud, the morally corrupt. - Agent Phisbon3s
Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Digitizing Pads 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 14
Houkakyou made a great point. Your best bet is to start your training with paper and pencil to strengthen your line-work, because drawing on a tablet is all about the line-work, though I suggest practicing on your pad would help as well.

To help with the line-work issue, I suggest some basic drawing guides to help you out. The "Dynamic Anatomy" series by Burne Hogarth are always good -- though any basic artist's guide to anatomy might work just as well. Some of the how to draw anime books help a bit. Your best bet, however, is professional instruction. Life drawing classes made me a far better artist than I was without them. Check your local community college... sometimes they'll allow a non-student to participate in classes for a nominal fee. You might also want to check out and see if they have classes you could take specifically for drawing on the computer. I know they have them.

In any event, good luck!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2008/06/15 19:49 By Noacat.
nautical_paramour
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Digitizing Pads 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 2
Okay. I guess if I have any spare time this summer I will look into classes. I am almost done with school, so hopefully it will free up some time!
And I already have Adobe Paintshop -- I use it to fix red eye and crop digital photos -- so, since I am not spending any extra money, I thought it would be worth a shot. Thanks so much for all your advice!

Logged Logged
Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Digitizing Pads 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 14
The cool thing about art is there are a lot of ways to learn. You don't necessarily have to spend tons of money to do it. The classes thing is just a suggestion but only if you have the time and the money to invest. If you're strapped for cash, the book route might be simpler. Your local library (college or otherwise) is another great place to look for materials that'll help you. Check the section dealing with computers, as well as the art section.

But the biggest thing to remember is just to practice drawing -- on the tablet and with pen and paper. It's the only real way you'll get the kind of experience you need.

Good luck!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.