Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Use GIMP but avoid downloading GIMPSHOP
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Use GIMP but avoid downloading GIMPSHOP
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Use GIMP but avoid downloading GIMPSHOP 10 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 57
Just a note to everyone that wants a freeware non-commercial photo-editing program like GIMP for digital painting and the like. If you want to use GIMP than use it but avoid it's more obscure cousin GIMPSHOP, that uses a Photoshop-like GUI.

I downloaded GIMPSHOP today to use inspite of using GIMP, and I found that the GIMPSHOP download is riddled with spyware and adware like Optimiser Pro, Search.us.com, and a few other things. Search.us.com hijacks your browser and messes with your search engine settings in your brower windows.

I am just finishing up cleaning my PC of the Adware/Spyware.

So just a heads up. The GIMPSHOP download doesn't give you viruses, but it sure does give you adware/spyware that you didn't ask for when you download and installed.

I am going to do a virus scan anyway just in case >.>.

Note that GIMP is okay to download, but GIMPSHOP isn't, and yes that are separated applications too, as GIMPSHOP is a derivative of the original GIMP application.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Use GIMP but avoid downloading GIMPSHOP 10 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 277
Just in case, Pyre, you might want to consider downloading Malwarebytes... it is great at removing malware. I've found it catches things that Norton misses and it's free. Just an FYI!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Use GIMP but avoid downloading GIMPSHOP 10 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 57
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
Just in case, Pyre, you might want to consider downloading Malwarebytes... it is great at removing malware. I've found it catches things that Norton misses and it's free. Just an FYI!

~~Wiccan~~

Thanks Wiccan, yah I downloaded another adware remover called AdwCleaner too which is similar to Malwarebytes. LOL I'll download Malwarebytes too! Just in case!

Yikes.

It is totally embarassing too. I haven't downloaded spyware for years. There goes my clever cap *watches it get flushed down the loo*.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/15 22:30 By Pyre.
Ikaru
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Use GIMP but avoid downloading GIMPSHOP 10 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 21
spybot search and destroy is a good one too, best of all it is free. I agree with wiccan about malwarebytes, I use it and definitely recommend it too if your not already using it.

Logged Logged

the snow covers the world in a blanket of white, making it pure once more...

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Use GIMP but avoid downloading GIMPSHOP 10 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 57
Ikaru wrote:
spybot search and destroy is a good one too, best of all it is free. I agree with wiccan about malwarebytes, I use it and definitely recommend it too if your not already using it.

Thanks Ikaru. Nods, was trying to find the freeware version of it to download but the silly site was trying to deflect me off to a mirror website for the shareware version >.>. Why developers don't just direct link to the software on their own servers I don't know. >.<.

Thanks again Wiccan, and to you too Ikaru!

XD

Much appreciated advice!

~ Pyre

P.S: Just be careful if you do download Malwarebytes, as it'll auto-download into your default download folder in your 'My Documents' folder if you use Windows. . It doesn't let you choose where to save and download it too on your PC, so if you can't find it LOL, that's where it is!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/10/15 22:46 By Pyre.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.