Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Costume/clothing reference
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 2
TOPIC: Costume/clothing reference
Janey-jane
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Costume/clothing reference 14 Years ago Karma: 11
So besides ooshy-gooshy fanart, one of my passions is historic costume. My focus has always been northern European costume, but I've dabbled in the history of Asian clothing from time to time (particularly that of Japan - I actually collect antique kimono). So I'm a bit anal retentive when it comes to dressing the figures in my drawings. I actually do research when I'm doing any sort of historic setting because while the changes in Japanese fashion were not as drastic as they were in the west - the way kimono, obi, hakema etc. were worn did change over time.
I Just wanted to pass on a great reference site for the history of Japanese dress - www.iz2.or.jp/english/
Its a bit difficult to navigate at first but has examples of a fantastic cross section of people (courtesans, warriors, priests, nobility, commoners, children, etc.) for different eras of Japanese history. I can't tell you how often I've used the site as reference while drawing...

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/03/20 02:06 By janey-jane. Reason: broken link
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
MelYanna
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Costume/clothing reference 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Thank you so much for sharing this site! It's wonderful and I definitely plan on using it to reference future drawing myself, wish I had known of it sooner!

Logged Logged
Janey-jane
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Costume/clothing reference 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 11
Its pretty amazing - I noticed a little while ago that someone had rec'd it in the author's section too. I think one of the marks of great fic and/or art is that the creator put some amount of research into it. I hate to admit it but its gotten to the point where I just cringe everytime someone has Kagome in a big, poofy, intricate, modern-style obi in the Sengoku-jidai. Takahasi is actually pretty good at showing a stylized form of what was worn and yet people just can't break away from the modern kimono look.

Logged Logged
Neva
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Costume/clothing reference 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
It really does ruin art and stories for me when they put her in ridiculous furisodes and such things, the only time its really ok is when she is coming dressed or bringing the clothing from her own time period.

Tho really if you look at sesshomaru and what other demons tend to wear, there is definitely hints of chinese influence still at that point, so chances are they wouldnt dress her totally human clothing anyway, much less some modern style kimono -_-

or what another forum i belong to lovingly calls 'Kimona' aka bath robes, wierd poofy dresses with giant bows on the back, chinese style dresses and lots lots more all presented as Kimono

but then i own and wear kimono so i definitely have a first hand knowledge of what they really are, too many people think long dress with dragging sleeves and a big bow on the back which generally creates something not even close lol or they think you cant be sexy in a proper one so they make it look strange and form fitting

Logged Logged
BlueHeavensAngel
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Costume/clothing reference 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 7
I absolutely love this reference site Janey-jane! I used it for a drawing I did of Kagome. Thank you for sharing it. I love finding excellent reference sites.

I love when people have historical accuracy in their stories with clothes and the like. I many not notice the incorrect stuff as much since I am not familiar with all of it, but nothing is annoying as reading/seeing something that is totally out of place in a piece of writing/artwork. ^_^

Logged Logged

Janey-jane
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Costume/clothing reference 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 11
Neva wrote:
Tho really if you look at sesshomaru and what other demons tend to wear, there is definitely hints of chinese influence still at that point, so chances are they wouldnt dress her totally human clothing anyway, much less some modern style kimono -_-

but then i own and wear kimono so i definitely have a first hand knowledge of what they really are, too many people think long dress with dragging sleeves and a big bow on the back which generally creates something not even close lol or they think you cant be sexy in a proper one so they make it look strange and form fitting

I think part of the problem is, as you mention, that people don't really know how kimono are constructed - we're so used to western style clothing with darts and fitted seams and shaped pattern pieces that a garment constructed completely out of rectangles and belted with another rectangle is totally alien to us. Add to that the fact that there have been subtle but definite changes in the way kimono were worn over the centuries (as you mention, Chinese style and culture was a huge influence on early Japan) and I can understand that most people probably don't even know where to start with conveying a historic kimono. But it isn't that hard to do a little research and at least take a stab at accuracy!

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Costume/clothing reference 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 57
Wow XD thanks for posting the URL Janey-jane. O.O! Must take opportunity to stare at purty Kimono and learn something new. Nice.

Thanks again.

Logged Logged
R.M. Avalon
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Costume/clothing reference 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 10
Oh my gosh! Where has this site been for my entire life? I have never been able to find much in the way of really clear imagery of historical Japanese clothing (mostly because I'm hopeless on the internet, but this is amazing! Thank you so much for the link! Do they perchance have any images of a miko's clothing (or something close)?

Logged Logged

Dokugas very own certified fairy princess, granting wishes with my wish-granting tiara since 2010!
Amarante
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Costume/clothing reference 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Ooh! Thank you for sharing such a fantastic site with us!
I'll be sure to use it!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.