Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Why do we not review?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Why do we not review?
LemonLeaves
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Why do we not review? 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 1
I usually try to leave a review, if only because I love recieving them! Writing a story is a lot of hard work, and though it is an enjoyable task it always feels good to be told that someone has enjoyed it, that it was worth your time and effort, and that you've inspired someone the way that the original series has inspired you. If an author can take the time to make something enjoyable for me to appreciate, then I can take five minutes to send them a note that will (hopefully) make them smile.

Of course, I would always write, with or without reviews, as I imagine most other fanfic writers would, but reviewers have a special place in my heart for letting me know that they enjoy my work.

Also, I may be a bit of a lurker, but to be honest a large part of the reason why I write fan fiction for Inuyasha is because I love the feedback and the community. Obviously I write for this fandom because I want to honour my favourite series and pairings, but this is also one of the best fandoms I've seen for positive feedback. The Inuyasha fandom, and especially Dokuga, has such an incredibly wonderful, friendly community. The people here make me want to write for them, review their stories, and comment on their art. (Please give yourselves a hug for being wonderful!)

This discussion made me think about a particular fic I happened across in the Skip Beat! fandom a few years ago. The author's native language was not English, but she poured her heart and soul into trying to write a multi-chapter Ren/Kyouko fic. What was she given for her hard work? Over a hundred flames, many of which were from an anonymous reviewer, telling her that her writing was juvenile, her grammar was revolting, and she needed to stop whining about how hard English is. Another FF.net user told her that English was the easiest language to learn and that if she was struggling with it, then she needed to work harder at learning it. The result? For three years, she quit writing. Not only was she heartbroken, but the people who genuinely loved her fanfic were deprived of a unique story because a few jerks decided to beat down a girl over the internet.

My point is that reviews are important, regardless of what anyone says. I don't feel like you're needy for wanting recognition for your hard work, or support when it comes to developing your skills.

Writing should be an adventure for the writer and his/her readers. Reviewing encourages the writer to continue on, and every review is a magnificent gift, even if it's only Please update soon!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Tessitura
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 4
I have to say I do agree.

Writers are affected deeply by their fans and the review given. Feedback is often stated food for the author. This statement cannot be said enough.

Critic our stories readers. We come before you with our words and ask to join in our slice of this universe.

However, respect our work.

Yes, we ask for honest opinions. Yet, respect is demanded and not asked. Have a positive spin, giving negative comments are not needed. Explaining what you think may be wrong or if the story is veering off course is gladly appreciated. Nasty negative comments are NOT warranted and honestly should not be tolerated.

As a writer I do not expect everyone to love all the stories on this site. However, I do expect those whom take a chance and open a link to be thoughtful and give respectable feedback.

I won’t apologize for my rant. I once wrote on many sites. One received such a nasty comment that my muse headed for the hills and I stopped writing.

Those whom still write even after a nut job with no respect for your work gives a nasty rant. Remember this…The coward is just plain jealous. You have the gumption to put your words out here in cyber space. And they need to crawl back under the rock they came from.

Logged Logged
DancesWithWolvesandStuff
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 11 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 6
I don't leave a review for every story I read, unless something really grabs my attention and shakes me until I show my appreciation for the author's genius! I enjoy encouragement as much as the next person, but I try not to write fluff comments. I want the author to know that I am being genuine in my compliment.
I usually read the numbers posted. If 1000 people started Chapter 1 and an average of 950 read every chapter up to the end... chances are, i did good! If my numbers decline... try again.
My favorite story received no reviews, that hasn't changed the fact that it's my favorite.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/11/27 02:47 By alwayskougacola.

I destroyed the periodic table, because I only believe in the element of SURPRISE! Howl!
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 11 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 57
Initially when I first started writing in the Inuyasha verse I counted reviews to be honest. I would check often to see if my newest works had gotten reviews, just to see if I was good enough to have received feedback of some sort. The reviews were fantastic for boosting my confidence to continue writing fanfiction, so I progressed and did more oneshots and so on.

Now after nearly two years of being a member of Dokuga, and having written and posted fanfiction, I don't count anymore. I simply check now and again after posting, or wait for an email notice to state that I have 'received reviews'. Sometimes I forget to check at all, and though when I do I continue to appreciate the feedback from my readers. It is a wonderful thing, but what initially was a confidence-builder, hasn't become so important anymore.

I write now purely for the joy of it or the challenge of practicing and getting better, or to write something from a new perspective, or purely just to iron out my frustrations over not having updated a ficlet in months T__T. So yah I slap on an update or two, and try to 'catch up' after being absent for quite a long time.

Although I am grateful for my readers, and my reviewers too, my own writing now if more of a personal expression rather than something I would craft for the enjoyment of others. If I manage to make someone smile, laugh, and feel happy, (and they do tell me so in the reviews) than that is what makes my day really. Although I do find it confusing, especially when I have written comedy, that others have found it funny. >.> I guess I can't really make myself laugh over what I've written myself... go figure... even if the ficlet does contain comical moments.

I was one an avid reviewer myself, years before I wrote fanfiction, and mainly read. Nowadays I seldom review truthfully purely because other readers have usually said what I have wanted to say. Alot of the time if the ficlet is 'awesome' I'm just another raving fangirl squeezing incessantly in the background, so I don't really see the point of being another pom-pom waver when others have said what I would have done.

Other times I have reviewed purely to be constructive, to offer guidance, and or point out issues in the ficlet, but usually only if I feel that things need to be clarified. I try to be non-intrusive, non-derogatory, and non-confrontational, simply keeping the review to the point, giving examples drawn from the ficlet of what I was trying to point out, and offering advice here and there.

Constructive criticism I think for myself is the best kind of review, but they're hard to write concisely, and coherently without being offensive, and garbling what you're trying to explain to the author. These kind of reviews can be raw too since they're often critical of chunks of your writing, and though they're helpful, it really depends on the 'tone' of the review, and how whatever issue or issues in the ficlet are presented.

I have a wonderful review a while ago now that was constructive critique which was spot-on, and make me think 'Oh right! Now that's really helpful!' especially when my reviewer pointed out the weaknesses in my writing. I sat there for a few minutes digesting the detail, and realised that the reviewer was quite right. I had characterised Kagome for example as a brat and Sesshy as very gentlemanly and sweet, which was intentional. I was grateful to find out thanks to that one fantastic reviewer that I was able to characterize 'emotions' into Kaggy and Sesshy realistically enough to 'annoy' my readers, which was a great surprise, since I have often worried that my writing wasn't descriptive enough to portray 'emotions'.

Reviews are refreshing, but constructive critique can help to 'thicken' your skin. As an author you must be open to having your work critiqued, even to receive, less than favourable reviews, although tolerance should not be extended to reviews that have a derogatory spin.

If you see 'flames' than contact an Administrator immediately and let them handle it. Generally in most fanfiction archives, there will be a rule in the TOS that deals with such issues. The 'flamer' therefore will be in breach of the TOS, and is accountable for their conduct to the Administrators. My advice is not to try and fight the flames yourself, you could very likely end up being in breach of the TOS too, and could get yourself into trouble with the Admins. Report the breach instead, let the Admins resolve it, and wait for an update on the matter.

For reviews generally, enjoy them, but also be openminded for constructive critique. It can really help you to improve as a writer, and most of all read widely, which can also help you to get a good ghist of how people write in different vocations and circumstances too.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Maria-Salvatore29
Whelp
graphgraph
n 11 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 10

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2014/04/02 12:50 By mariasalvatore29.
SonofZhon
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
I will say that loveandfaith reviews faithfully but as a writer I confess to 1) not giving as many reviews as I should and 2) finding myself being satisfied by reviews.

I know I should leave more reviews but I am honestly not reading as much fanfiction as I once did. I've been focusing more on getting an MBA. In time though, I hope to be more active.

Logged Logged
Kessa
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 8
I will admit I don't usually review as much as I should. However when given the time, I do try, especially with stories I really like. It's a little ridiculous to think that it's so difficult to press a button and take the five seconds to write, "great chapter, update soon!"

That being said I think I'll start trying a little harder!

I've been writing on and off for a long time-I started out on Fanfiction.net at 13. As a new writer, you hope to get as many reviews as you do hits of the people reading, but sadly, that doesn't happen. As well as honest critique, I can't remember how many flames readers would throw out, which to be honest, upset and ticked me off a tad because it wasn't like I hadn't warned that there would be mistakes, and those flaming did not write themselves. You do get thicker skin, but that doesn't mean you want to see flames for your story.

I do love to see the reviews that I garner for my stories, they are always uplifting and helpful, especially when you find out after you've posted your sentences and paragraphs have become a solid wall of text.

And SonofZhon is completely right! LoveandFaith is a steady reviewer, no matter what. Good for you!

Now that I've said all this, time to get a few of my own chapters updated, I think I've proven I have the time to today

Logged Logged

There is a darker side in all of us that needs to be appeased...
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 277
In response to flaming and the concerns, I would just like to remind our authors and readers that this site DOES have rules regarding reviews and flames. Please take a moment to refresh your memories by reading this little tutorial:

http://www.dokuga.com/forum/34-authors-tools/51608-dokuga-authors-tutorial-reviews#51608

Authors, we can't read every review on every story, so we need to know if you've received reviews that you feel are flames. Please don't hesitate to contact any Administrator if you've received something that seems "flamish" to you!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 60
I have been reading Sesshomaru/Kagome fanfiction for years but I had never left an encouraging review until I made an account here eight months ago and became a Dokuga author. Now that I understand the yearning for reviews, for some sort of acknowledgment that I am doing well with something I am passionate about has chastised me for my earlier neglect on not seeing the value of reviewing. I have made an effort to do better in showing my appreciation.
To all you authors and artists, you all rock!

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
KouseiJL
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 10 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 17
I'll admit as a slowly beginning author (read perfectionist...) that every review makes me do a little happy dance, no matter how brief the review!

My problem is I'm an avid reader with a tendency towards distraction. I can't remember where, but somewhere someone taught me not to just give weak compliments, but to be specific. So sometimes when the words don't come beyond, "great story!", I have a hard time reviewing right away. I save these up for another time to read more in-depth and really give a more specific reason for what I enjoyed about a story. I started following stories to get the email whenever someone updated, but it is also a method to keep track of stories I've read and want to review. It's nice to be able to delete a reviewed story out of my inbox, but sadly my reviewing is far slower than my reading.. I'm about 500 behind! I only hope that some of these older stories benefit from a well-meaning, but late review!

I feel like I try to review a little more here than at fanfiction/mediaminer. The lack of flames and review demands has definitely created a more supportive atmosphere that I'm so glad to be a part of!

Logged Logged
Siera Serenity Star
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 10 Years ago Karma: 64
I do the same thing but I'm trying to review all the stories I read now.

Logged Logged
Moonlight Silk
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 10 Years ago Karma: 37
It's really amazing how my perception of reviewing has changed since I started writing and posting stories. I have been reading stories on Spark, Dokuga and other fan-fiction sites for years without usually leaving one single review. But when I started writing I realized how truly important those reviews were. Reviews are encouragement and motivation boosters for all writers, but most importantly a needed tool for young and aspiring writers who have not yet found that niche, or the ability to write only if it is just for themselves to become better at their craft, or simply because they enjoy what they do and reviews does not matter. It takes time to get to that point of self assurance and just being comfortable in what you do, so my advice is to review, a single line even if it is just to say "update soon" shows appreciation for the authors work.

Logged Logged
SonofZhon
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Why do we not review? 10 Years ago Karma: 0
Because I'm illiterate!!!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.