Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Nervous about posting a story.
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Nervous about posting a story.
sapphira_DoG
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Nervous about posting a story. 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
I have a story that needs my love and I desperately want to work on it more. It's stats so far:

71 Pages
31,000+ words.
Prelude + 6 Chapters

The Prelude is ready to be seen, and Chapter One is mostly ready (revising a bit and spell checking). My only thing is that I'm a nervous Nelly and never know when or if to post my stories. :| It's frustrating! Any thoughts?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
FaerieDearest
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Nervous about posting a story. 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 152
We are on the same boat.
I'm nervous to post my stories too.
But since yours is almost ready to post, you should do it!
And if you need help revising the chapters, you can always ask one mighty beta to help you.

Logged Logged
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Nervous about posting a story. 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 47
It depends on what you want to achieve by posting it now, rather than later.

Do you just want to see how readers will react to it? If so, there's nothing wrong with posting the first couple of chapters now. What's the worst that could happen? The story takes on a mind of its own and takes the plot on a route that you didn't plan, leading you to want to revise previously-posted chapters? You get delayed in updates? That's no big deal. The members on this site are patient and will ride out a good story for as long as it takes.

On the other hand. there's nothing wrong with completing your story, or at least getting most of it completed, before posting it. If you still want second opinions about it as you go, you could always get a beta reader or two to give you their input.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
Sesshomaru's Secret Admirer
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Nervous about posting a story. 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 95
There are many fears to posting your first fanfiction. But, I learned that reviews helped me see missing information, better ways to improve my writing style, and encouragement. More than anything, releasing your first chapter might be a good start. See the feedback you receive and then see if you wish to continue or post pone the story. You can always delete the story if you feel like it is too early and change your mind.
I think you should post the story! I am sure you will receive lots of encouragement as authors and readers on Dokuga strive to help each other out. ^_^

Logged Logged

dancingfingers
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Nervous about posting a story. 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 33
sapphira_DoG wrote:
I have a story that needs my love and I desperately want to work on it more. It's stats so far:

71 Pages
31,000+ words.
Prelude + 6 Chapters

The Prelude is ready to be seen, and Chapter One is mostly ready (revising a bit and spell checking). My only thing is that I'm a nervous Nelly and never know when or if to post my stories. :| It's frustrating! Any thoughts?

Until today, I still get nervous whenever I finish writing and ready to send it to my beta(s). Not to mention waiting for the reply, the correction over grammars and idioms, and also the suggestions.. Then after I am satisfied enough that it is close to perfect after I edit it, I'm slightly afraid of what my followers will say... will it be good? Will it be disappointing? Will it make an impression to them? Will they stay again for the next chapter? Will there be a flame, someone who curse my inability to write? (Thankfully I have none to this day, more like readers strangle me to be MIA for months LOL)

But, as always, my love and passion for writing are greater, so even though I'm nervous and afraid of the reactions, I go through it every.single.time.

So, don't worry to post it here.
Post the prelude, and see the reactions. If it's good, then continue, if it's not... then, you still have many who are willing to help or do whatever you want with your story

Ganbatte!

Logged Logged
sapphira_DoG
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Nervous about posting a story. 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 2
I adore the support this site gives. ^_^ Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the advice and shared experiences. It really does help to hear what other have felt, too. I will continue to go through my files and smooth some things over a bit. Then I'll post the Prelude (also need a name for the story other than "Kagome/Sesshomaru fanfiction." lol) soon and see how it goes.

Logged Logged
humoshuy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Nervous about posting a story. 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 1
nervous Nelly and never know when or if to post my stories

Logged Logged
Emiko
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Nervous about posting a story. 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 59
I, myself, am more reader than writer here on Dokuga. But from that standpoint, don't be too nervous! I understand how it can be a bit daunting wondering what we readers are thinking, but - and especially here on Dokuga - we readers admire and support our writers (and those who don't . . . I'll see you to the door!).

When I leave reviews, I do like to leave some constructive criticism, but only with the intent of helping the author grow in his/her talent; it is always tapered with praise, too. Writing is an art form and not everyone has the skill. It would be folly to not admire such.

So in the words of Mark Twain:

The secret to getting ahead is to get started

Logged Logged
kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Nervous about posting a story. 9 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 109
Hi there,

From a writer's standpoint, I can tell you that the nervousness is always there but you get more confident over time. I've learned that it helps me to think of who's reading it/ who I'm writing the story for than thinking about what kinds of reactions. And if, at any time, I'm not sure about what I wrote, I find it's easier to ask the people who read what they think.

The people on Dokuga are very nice and they do offer you advice as needed. It's scary but taking a leap of faith is worth it.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.