Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Grammar 101 Website!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Grammar 101 Website!
Jade R. Rayne
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Grammar 101 Website! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 3
Hello there!

A brief reason why I'm posting this website up here is to help writers like me who have ... well 'bad' grammar. 'Bad' as in, not because it's unreadable but because there are reviewers and readers out there who expect better of us.

Sadly, I am one of those hard taught people who incorporates two different languages into a sentence while writing. For me, it's Korean and English... And these two languages, based on sentence structure is utterly different.

Anyhoo, I was researching up on grammar and to see if I can better myself as an amateur writer. I came across this nifty little website:

English Grammar 101: All You Need to Know

It goes over the basics and albeit in detail for a sentence structure. So it did help me a little, and I hope it will help other writers who have the same problem.

It's better to realize why and how the mistakes in grammar come in, right?

Thanks for reading!

PS - If anyone comes across better websites, please do post them. I am very interested in brushing up my grammar!

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Grammar 101 Website! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 57
Thanks for the link JR, the guide is a good refresher, I just wish that the writer had used simpler explanations, examples, and more of a user-friendly approach to get the points of grammar across.

Really the article is talking simply about sentence structure, how words are places in a sentence, something that should be easy to understand and explain.
But the article like grammar books and other links I have found has me wanting to reach for a dictionary when they start using words like 'transitive, intransitive, predicative, sub-clauses, prepositions' and so on.

I keep thinking about transistors and prediction made by like the Oracle of Delhi for all of five seconds.

Gah, now I remember why I forgot all of this grammar stuff straight out of high-school.

It's way worse than techno-babble. Geeky stuff I can remember but grammar?

O_O, O_o, >.<, I'm goin' cross-eyed reading it, even if a tiny little part of my brain actually recognizes and understands the stuff.

T__T

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Grammar 101 Website! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 46
I have the same problem, sentences that make absolute sense to me in my native language just sound wrong in English. Thank you for the link. If you find anything else, please post it! I'll be glad to learn a few tips more.

If I find something, I'll make sure to share^^

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Grammar 101 Website! 11 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 46
Alright, this is not about grammar, but general ideas and ways to improve one's writting skills. I'm not sure if you would be interested in them, but it never hurts to take a look. I found them very helpful

Links :

www.writersdigest.com/writing-articles/by-writing-goal/improve-my-writing/enrich-your-descriptions

www.darcypattison.com/revision/8-ways-to-enrich-your-character/

Logged Logged

Jade R. Rayne
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Grammar 101 Website! 11 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
See, I've always had a dream to write a good story... and publishing it too!

But with my grammar, it's difficult to find someone who will want to work with me to selfpublish a story.

So thank you Stella for these sites, they will definitely help me!

I have an abundance of ideas in my head, I just don't know where to start but to practice here in this fandom!

Logged Logged
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Grammar 101 Website! 11 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 46
I'm trying to expand my vocabulary now, so I won't end up repeating the same words so much. That's another problem. Oh, well, our efforts we'll be rewarded in the future, so let's keep trying

Logged Logged

Jade R. Rayne
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Grammar 101 Website! 11 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
My sister gave me a tip a long while ago before she moved to London.

She said close your eyes, and think for a moment. Think about the scene, and everything you see from textures, to colors. Then when you open your eyes, jot down simple words and phrases from that scene. When you look back at the list, it is there you can change words out that may sound better in a paragraph.

I'm not very good at explaining, but that method has helped me a great deal!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.