Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
What to Avoid
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: What to Avoid
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:What to Avoid 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 29
oooh here is one. It's not exactly what you guys are aiming for with this thread, but I still think its vital.

NO long lags between updates! Avoid this at all costs, and if you are going out of town, or have an upcoming cram session, and know there will be a lag then inform your readers in the authors note of your latest chapter update (not as a chapter itself, because that isn't allowed on dokuga) As a reader, I find that when an author takes too long to update, (and by too long, I mean it takes them a month or longer.)I loose interest. And it annoys me when I have to go back and reread every chapter of a story, every single update, because I forget what was going on.

If you have too many projects in order to keep a regular update schedual, then cut back. Of course personal life gets in the way sometimes, and your IRL should always come first. This is unavoidable, and I always understand this.

There is one author I am thinking of in particular that I just absolutely adore! She is amazing and fantasic - but lately she's just not been keen on writing. When she isn't threatening to pull her work (and she has, a couple times) then she updates but very irregularly. This is perfectly fine, and I dont think less of her as an author or a person for it - it just makes me less interested in her work.

I DO NOT mean this to be harsh, so please no one jump my case for it! *blush* I'm just sharing an opinion... besides, I realize I myself should practice what I preach, and if anyone understand how hard it is to live up to my own expectations, its me! I let myself down quite frequently. lol

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Morgan
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 5
The thing that bugs me the most is when Kagome and Sesshoumaru falls in love in about 3-5 chapters. Knowing Sesshoumaru, that's not gonna happen >_<

I completely agree with that...that's why I didn't like the Twilight movie...in one scene Ed and Bella meet and one scene later, she's willing to die for him, she's so in love...

And I agree with MoxyMikki. I hate it when authors just leave their stories un-updated...not just for a couple weeks or a month...I'm talking months, a year, 5 years...there are so many awesome-sauce stories that I've read that haven't been updated in at least 5 years...sucks ass! Or the authors who get half way through the story and decide to pull the plug...dude, come on...if I had the talent to be a writer, I wouldn't even upload the first chapter til I had the whole thing written. But that's just me.

And one more thing...out of all the fics I've read since I was in 9th grade (I'm 22), I can count on one hand how many authors actually used the correct word...definitely...I've read hundreds of fics and almost every author has used the word 'defiantly' instead of 'definitely.'

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 23
Avoid having a chapter that is basically like a summary. Which is having it be like: this person went here, said something, left and then went somewhere else. Detail is always good in a story, and I think it adds more of a flow to the chapter and makes it slightly easier for the events in the story and chapters to come together because it's just not 'this happened, then that happened' sort of thing.

As for the not updating on stories, sometimes its hard for the author to give a warning to their readers that they will not be updating because life can be surprising and things can happen that will take them away from the internet completely, or not give them time to update. I'm actually guilty of not updating for awhile sometimes, but I don't like forcing myself to write, because then the chapters just end up being terrible and I think 'Is it really worth updating when the chapter is bad?' But I do try not to go to long without updating( though my other stories *aside from my Kag/Sess one on here* haven't been updated for a few months because I have no motivation to write them) But when I do go for a long period of time without updating, I try and make up with that by updating with two to more chapters at once.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/07/29 00:31 By PRVN.
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Morgan wrote:
And one more thing...out of all the fics I've read since I was in 9th grade (I'm 22), I can count on one hand how many authors actually used the correct word...definitely...I've read hundreds of fics and almost every author has used the word 'defiantly' instead of 'definitely.'

this gets me sometimes... if my fingers run away with me, and i misspell defintely off the bat, then my spell check sometimes puts in defiantly. When a reread it, my brain supplies what i know SHOULD be there, rather than what is - same goes for bored vs board. thats why betas are so helpful.

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
^
|
see?! I miss spelled it just now. heheh

Logged Logged
hola
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
All of this is SUCH great advice! Can I call you all sensei?? But, as I was reading through all this, I could help but wonder if I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong with my fics... I totally understand all thats advised, but the more, i think about it, the more i dont know if i've done a thing right! *arg!! confusion!!*

Logged Logged
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 13 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: -666
Jenis Miranda wrote:
All of this is SUCH great advice! Can I call you all sensei?? But, as I was reading through all this, I could help but wonder if I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong with my fics... I totally understand all thats advised, but the more, i think about it, the more i dont know if i've done a thing right! *arg!! confusion!!*

Advice is worth as much as you pay for it, and all of this advice is free. The most important thing that you must do is to not be discouraged. Keep writing. Keep practicing. The more you write, the better you'll become. Always keep that in mind. (That was free too)

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Re:What to Avoid 13 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
I come speaking from both sides. Me begin the writer who doesn't up-date ffast enough. Then the reader who has to sit and w8.

To me if you can't update every week or even every 2 weeks is fine, Its just as long as you contiue to update its fine.

Logged Logged

Apples arre good. What I love about life is that No matter what you always pull through and find something better

Pineapples arre soo good. What I hate about life is that you have to work hard for what you want

Bananas arre so Not good. But the thing about working hard is that it always looks good on a resume ^^

Grapes arre...so-so unless they are firm,yum! Giving up is not in my vocab anymore >.-

In Case you havent noticed I like my fruit the same way I like my life ^^
Trouble_In_Shangri_la
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 13 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 8
The updating thing...

Makes me so glad I write first and don't post until a fic is DONE, just in case I run into an issue that halts my writing for awhile. One of my fics took a couple YEARS to write and I wouldn't dream of making people wait that long.

Though if an author is GOOD, it's worth it, like Resmiranda.

I'm a nurse and it's as hectic as you can get. I can recall writing during breaks, then I'd get up and help somebody wipe their butt. Sit down, write, get up, get puked on, clean up, fix the patient again, sit down, write some more...lol.

Logged Logged

Lionel
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 3
Trouble_In_Shangri_la wrote:
Makes me so glad I write first and don't post until a fic is DONE, just in case I run into an issue that halts my writing for awhile. One of my fics took a couple YEARS to write and I wouldn't dream of making people wait that long.

I'm conflicted; my impatience to tell the story urges me to update soon, yet I feel I need to make sure my writing isn't atrocious.

I wish I had some completed fanfictions too! But...as luck with have it, I only just started on my first. I have a core idea of what kind of story I want to write, but I've encountered issues. It's hard, making sure there's enough details, making sure the plot doesn't seem to out o whack when there's a particular goal I want to head towards with their relationship. I just grit my teeth and bear it, hoping it will pass. The task of completing a fanfiction seems so colossal, no wonder it took YEARS for you! Good things take time.

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 76
Don't start writing a story and have no idea where it's going.

I do this, a lot. Actually, every story I've ever written. I write it as I go, and come up with the plot as well. The only one so far that isn't a total jumble is my current WIP LotWL. And there are parts of it that are still just shooting in the dark. I'll bring it all together in the end but it's still just wild.

So don't do what I do. It doesn't always work.

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
Lionel
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 3
Knight of Disorder wrote:
Don't start writing a story and have no idea where it's going.

I concur!

It is hard enough already writing a fanfiction when you have a fair idea of where it's going...

Logged Logged
mythicamagic
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 21
Try to be consistent with details.
I've read a few fanfics where at the start, the author mentions Sesshoumaru having two hands, and then 1 chapter later its one. XD
Another thing is they'll have Kagomes eyes being brown, and then have her eyes being blue

Thanks for all the suggestions though, its been a very long time since I last updated, or written another sess/kag story here on dokuga
But with the do's and dont's on here hopefully I can avoid the don'ts, and get motivated to write again -_-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Logged Logged
Ennui
Pup
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 6
Question: When is detail too much detail?

I've run into an issue where I wrote a strong first chapter, basically laying the foundation of the plot and it was well received. The second chapter had more detail about moving into a new home, after having lost everything. This was a supplied home, so the character did a walk through, noting what she wanted to change.

Granted, this was NOT the entire chapter, about 1k our the entire 4k. There was a conflict and resolution early on before the character made her way to her new home.

Without directly giving you the fan fic name (it's a different fandom) I know it's a bit vague. But I had a review tell me I bored them with all of the details.

Makes me hate FF.net with a burning passion.

So back to my question, any guidance?

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 76
When it comes to detail... I suppose how much detail depends on the reader. I tend to lack some in my writing because well, unless they're in his palace then they're in the forest. Other then that, I like to sprinkle the descriptions among the conversation. That way if doesn't get to piled up.

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
Discontent Winter
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 23
How much detail a reader wants, varies greatly on the reader.

As an example, a good friend of mine is heavily into fantasy/sci-fi... He's a veteran Dungeon's and Dragon's player, likes almost everything involving sword and sorcery... almost... He cannot stand the much celebrated J.R.R. Tolkein due to the heavy detail.

As for my own opinion, I'm a bit more tolerant that he is, but I still prefer relevant detail. One pet peeve I have is with stories that dress their characters up like Barbie dolls, detailing the brands they wear, shops where clothing was bought, and the witty sayings on their t-shirts. Every time there's a wardrobe change, you can expect at least a lengthy paragraph on what they're wearing.

If there's no significance to what they're wearing, I'd be much happier reading something like, "Kagome threw on a t-shirt and jeans before heading out the door".
If you're detailing clothing for a significant event like a wedding, ball, etc. Extensive detail is more expected. I think part of what turns me off, is the excessive focus on what the character is wearing, makes the character seem overly materialistic and shallow to me.

The same applies to furnishings, surroundings and small events we take for granted. I've read one story that had so much detail, it told how much change was returned at a fast food restaurant. I found myself skimming through the story looking for the pertinent points to the plot.

While detail is important in sucking a reader into a story, make sure you don't get too bogged down in the insignificant or the uninteresting. Use your detail as a tool of manipulation, if it's something the character cares about, use detail to make it something the reader cares about as well. What emotion are you trying to get the reader to feel as they read? Use your descriptions to lead the reader in that direction. We don't need to know how many trees are in a park, but does the park give a peaceful feeling? A playful one?

Details in writing should be like details in a painting. Little things in the background can enrich a grand work of art, but they should never overshadow the subject of the foreground.

Now, as I said, reader preference for details can vary greatly. Everything I've written above is only one reader's personal preferences.

Much luck!

Logged Logged

signature courtesy of r0o!
Ennui
Pup
graphgraph
Thank you both for your input. I agree it has a lot to do with the reader.
The review hurt, but I had to really wonder if they were right.

Logged Logged
Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 11
Well, like Winter and Knight already said, it does have a lot to do with the reader, but as an author I think there should be some sort of point where you go "okay, that's enough". You have to remember that all characters are supposed to be real people (and even though we're talking about fanfiction, there still has to be some level of reality), and real people don't notice every little thing that they happen to see.

I tend to stick more to movement detail than anything else, as well as emotional detail, instead of landscaping and clothes.

So, yeah. It's a reader thing, but I think it's an author thing too.

Still, I hope you weren't discouraged too much from your story, Z. Too often we authors get upset because someone doesn't like the way we portray things, but (and here's my What to Avoid - Author Edition lol) you have to know when to let people's opinions roll right off of your back. If their comments make you a better author, then take in what you can and turn it into something good, but if not, then, hey, they can go read something else.

::shrug::

Logged Logged

\"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don\'t matter and those that matter don\'t mind.\" - Dr. Seuss

~Aubrey Simone~
Ennui
Pup
graphgraph
Thanks Aubrey. This is the first time I've come across this in any of the stories I've written. I guess I must have gone a little overboard in this case. Lesson learned.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 57
Wow,

I only just found this thread.

What to avoid when writing eh?

1. Avoid knowing nothing about the fandom you're writing for or about. Readers will pick out OC behaviour immediately, and tell you about it point blank in their reviews too.

2. Avoid overusing detail. Be concise and give enough information, but don't constantly repeat stuff you've already said a hundred times.

Your audience doesn't need to know every paragraph that Kagome is a brunette.

3. Avoid waffling for ages about irrelevant details. Keep your writing focused on the situation you're describing. Readers get bored fast if it takes you forty pages to write about one thing that could be discussed in two or three paragraphs.

4. Avoid slapping characters together in a relationship (whether friendship or romantic) without taking the time to bring them together in a story.

Getting Kagome in bed with Sesshy within one chapter, unless its appropriate to the plot, can really be jarring for the reader.

A slowburn is better than a slapstick romance.

Take your time and don't rush it.

5. Avoid not knowing basic punctuation, grammar, and spelling especially when using written english fanfictions. Your readers will get put off quickly if they can't read the format of your work.

6. Avoid WALL OF TEXT formatting where you have no spacing between paragraphs and sentences. It's impossible to read.

7. Avoid Author Note A/N: tags inside the content of a story. If it's not story content it shouldn't be in there, save at the end and beginning of the story, along with any warnings, ratings and such.

8. Avoid not proofing your own work. You can only get to know how you write by reading your own stuff to check for mistakes. Don't leave it up to the reader to parse your story for you and point it out in a review. Using a Beta is great, but they can still miss mistakes too without realising it. Don't be afraid of reading your own stuff.

9. Avoid not providing Warnings about sensitive issues in your fics. The readers will not forgive the oversight. They need to know if the fic contains violence or other sensitive issues like gore or mature material.

10. Avoid catering to your readers. If you write for them then you might find fanfiction less enjoyable to write. Write for yourself first, since you're the one that has to sit through chapters of stuff in the process of being created. The reader only sees the finished product.

11. Update regularly or as RL allows. It helps to maintain your interest in the story. If you fall behind by months you may be less inclined later on to continue.

12. Avoid sticking to strict plotlines, since you may change your mind later on about how a story unfolds. Be flexible.

13. Avoid using OCs unless neccessary. If you want to write about your multiple OCs you should probably be writing original fiction about them not fanfiction with canon characters. Use OCs only if there's a niche you can't fill with a canon character.

14. Avoid Mary-Sue or Gary-Stus for your OCs and even for canon characters. Super-powered godlike characters are unrealistic unless you're writing a parody. A powerful character with huge flaws like Naraku is more likeable because the reader can relate more to him than someone like Manwe Sulimo from Tolkien's works.

15. Avoid treating fanfiction as a job. If you don't enjoy writing a story than you'll never update your works. Write when it's enjoyable. Don't force it.

16. Avoid taking a review personally even if it's a flame. Take what you can from the review that's helpful. Discard the rest. If it's full of insults than ignore it and delete or report the user to site admins. Don't go through the process of getting into a firefight with the reviewer. It's just not worth your time and energy.

Lastly, enjoy writing.

That's the reason readers enjoy fanfiction.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/12/31 15:46 By Pyre.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 277
Excellent points, Pyre!!

I would just like to point out, though, that items 5, 6, 7, and 16 will net you warnings on our site. We do have helpful tutorials in this very section that should assist our authors AND members in avoiding getting those warnings - just check out the permanent topics at the top of the page!!

I agree with ALL of Pyre's points, though, as they lead to much more entertaining, enjoyable stories for the readers and authors, I think.

Thanks for posting, Pyre!!!

~~me~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Kyndred Raven
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 22
Over many years of writing, I've had to come to terms with the fact that not everyone will like what I write. I'm very very fortunate because I've only gotten a flame once and it was very early on in my writing career.

There are many ways to get "flames", and it doesn't always just come from reviewers. My family never supported my writing, and neither did the person that I lived with for over 5 years. I always had to write in secret and try to break past the barrier of doubt and doubters that the people around me had built up.

Still, it was thanks to my reviewers that I was able to persevere and keep going. It may not seem like much, but even something like "I really love your story!" helped me believe that I could keep trying.

I still can't say that I'm comfortable with sharing my writing. After all, I have a lot of self-confidence demons who are always trying to tear me down. If I post and I don't see reviews coming in, or if a newer story ends up being instantly popular while mine is left with no replies, I still feel like I'm worthless as a writer.

I think that each of us has their own battle to fight as a writer. Some struggle with writing. Others struggle with accepting themselves. And still others fight to be accepted. It's a long struggle. Some authors win their battles right away, but others have to fight for much longer.

The key is to not give up and to always fight to improve. Even the best authors out there have haters and people who don't like their writing. I know this is sacrilege to say, but I don't like George R.R Martin's writing AT ALL. Of course, I would never send him hate mail. But I just don't buy his books. The same goes for fanfiction.

So keep trying, everyone! There is so much talent on this site alone, and I love seeing it flourish. I love speaking with like-minded people here and feeling a little less selfish for wanting to get replies to what I post.

Thank you for being here, Dokugans

Logged Logged

bookgirl813
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:What to Avoid 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 76
Pyreite wrote:
Wow,

I only just found this thread.

What to avoid when writing eh?

1. Avoid knowing nothing about the fandom you're writing for or about. Readers will pick out OC behaviour immediately, and tell you about it point blank in their reviews too.

2. Avoid overusing detail. Be concise and give enough information, but don't constantly repeat stuff you've already said a hundred times.

Your audience doesn't need to know every paragraph that Kagome is a brunette.

3. Avoid waffling for ages about irrelevant details. Keep your writing focused on the situation you're describing. Readers get bored fast if it takes you forty pages to write about one thing that could be discussed in two or three paragraphs.

4. Avoid slapping characters together in a relationship (whether friendship or romantic) without taking the time to bring them together in a story.

Getting Kagome in bed with Sesshy within one chapter, unless its appropriate to the plot, can really be jarring for the reader.

A slowburn is better than a slapstick romance.

Take your time and don't rush it.

5. Avoid not knowing basic punctuation, grammar, and spelling especially when using written english fanfictions. Your readers will get put off quickly if they can't read the format of your work.

6. Avoid WALL OF TEXT formatting where you have no spacing between paragraphs and sentences. It's impossible to read.

7. Avoid Author Note A/N: tags inside the content of a story. If it's not story content it shouldn't be in there, save at the end and beginning of the story, along with any warnings, ratings and such.

8. Avoid not proofing your own work. You can only get to know how you write by reading your own stuff to check for mistakes. Don't leave it up to the reader to parse your story for you and point it out in a review. Using a Beta is great, but they can still miss mistakes too without realising it. Don't be afraid of reading your own stuff.

9. Avoid not providing Warnings about sensitive issues in your fics. The readers will not forgive the oversight. They need to know if the fic contains violence or other sensitive issues like gore or mature material.

10. Avoid catering to your readers. If you write for them then you might find fanfiction less enjoyable to write. Write for yourself first, since you're the one that has to sit through chapters of stuff in the process of being created. The reader only sees the finished product.

11. Update regularly or as RL allows. It helps to maintain your interest in the story. If you fall behind by months you may be less inclined later on to continue.

12. Avoid sticking to strict plotlines, since you may change your mind later on about how a story unfolds. Be flexible.

13. Avoid using OCs unless neccessary. If you want to write about your multiple OCs you should probably be writing original fiction about them not fanfiction with canon characters. Use OCs only if there's a niche you can't fill with a canon character.

14. Avoid Mary-Sue or Gary-Stus for your OCs and even for canon characters. Super-powered godlike characters are unrealistic unless you're writing a parody. A powerful character with huge flaws like Naraku is more likeable because the reader can relate more to him than someone like Manwe Sulimo from Tolkien's works.

15. Avoid treating fanfiction as a job. If you don't enjoy writing a story than you'll never update your works. Write when it's enjoyable. Don't force it.

16. Avoid taking a review personally even if it's a flame. Take what you can from the review that's helpful. Discard the rest. If it's full of insults than ignore it and delete or report the user to site admins. Don't go through the process of getting into a firefight with the reviewer. It's just not worth your time and energy.

Lastly, enjoy writing.

That's the reason readers enjoy fanfiction.

~ Pyre

For me, this is very important: Avoid not providing Warnings about sensitive issues in your fics. The readers will not forgive the oversight. They need to know if the fic contains violence or other sensitive issues like gore or mature material.

I don't know how many times I've read a beautiful story only to be ruined for me when I am not warned about the oncoming subject matter. I had to leave the story behind unread, annoyed that it really had potential, but had lost respect because of that piece of content that I could have avoided had something had been mentioned at the beginning of the chapter. Sometimes the ratings and categories aren't enough.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.