Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Fighting Writers Block
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Fighting Writers Block
Daniella
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Fighting Writers Block 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 22
Alright my fellow, brilliant Authors, I need help! Honestly, I have the WORST case of writers block imaginable for my story "The Asylum" my problem is I know exactly how I want the chapter to end but everything I write to get to that is total garbage. I have written and re-written the chapter probably 4 times now and everytime I'm like "I can't let my wonderful readers read this junk!" I already feel awful because I haven't updated in almost a month. I know holiday's and work have been a big issue but I have NEVER had a block this bad.

So, my question is, how do you all work through your block? I have tried everything I can think of from re-reading some of my favorite stories, re-watching the anime, writing some of my non-publishable stuff and still I'm stuck. Gah! It's driving me bad and I feel like a terrible author for not updating sooner! HELP!!!

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 39
Okay, first of all- calm down and stop the self-hating. Your readers will understand about update delays. I think we've all been there. It's funny, the first thing I was going to suggest was switch gears and focus on a new or different story for a bit, but you've already tried that. Have you tried simply taking a break from writing for a bit? Or jump to the next chapter and write at least the beginning of that section and then work your way backwards?

I wish I could be more helpful, but it seems like you've already tried just about everything I would have suggested. You mentioned rereading favorite stories, have you tried reading The Asylum over from the beginning? Sometimes refreshing myself on the story I'm having a block with helps me to overcome it.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/01/01 20:35 By Freya Ishtar.
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 15
I am falling to the same trap...

I start off with great storyline's and get almost the whole story completed, but when I attempt the last two or three chapters..I either one can't find the time to do it or when I do find the time I can't think of anything.

Though your reader's understand and I am one of them so no worries from me -huggles-

You could try listening to some music or a quite place to think, I usually get mine churned out if I am listening to slayer and am sitting outside lol.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 23
Ah, the dreaded writers block. The first thing I'd suggest is the same as Freya calm down and don't stress about it. Generally, stressing leads to actually putting back the ability to write and update a story. The other thing I'd suggest is to step away from it for awhile. Sometimes our minds just need a break.

How do you usually come up with your ideas for writing? Do they come to you when walking, cleaning or something of the sort? Try doing those things, it will help your mind relax and maybe writing(or the inspiration to write) will come easier.

Or if you feel you really need to write, again relax and try mapping out the chapter you are working on. The events you want to happen and how you want them to happen. That I have found usually makes writing chapters easier and makes the process quicker too.

Take a break if needed, I'm sure the readers will respect you and won't pressure you for an update. Good luck~

Logged Logged
Daniella
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 22
Thanks for the advice all, I really appreciate it! I really think it's just end of the year stress. Work was crazy this past month because of the sales goals that needed to be met(some of which were impossible) and that really just wiped me out. I really think I'm going to sleep on it tonight and as someone suggested, backtrack the story in my head from the part that I do actually have planned out, go figure it's the end of the chapter lol.

Logged Logged

Chante
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 2
Ok. Whenever i suffer a bout of the ever dreaded writers block, I spend some time, all alone and in the quiet, and I try to imagine that I am interviewing my characters to see how they, in theory, would see the situation. Take it in from everyones perspective, and, when you find the one you like best, and alter it until you are happy enough with the result. If no matter how much you tweak some telling of the chapter, leave the chapter alone for a while.If all else fails, and unfortunately, it sometimes does, think about it for twenty or so minuets before you go to bed (in your bed) and your brain will think on whatever you gave it. If you have too little or way too much happening in this chapter of yours, whatever is wrong you wont get results. (ps..: I know the last one sounds crazy, but ive done it before, and if you are relaxed when you do it, it works).

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 57
I know, Writer's Block is not fun. If the story won't flow from my head to my fingers and into the keyboard when I type, no matter how frustrated I get, I like to just leave it for a couple hours, or days. To me the story or chapter isn't meant to be written yet, and will come out of my head and onto the comp in its own time. I tend to get 'bouts' of creativity now and again, and I write now or I write later. If the story still doesn't work out, I'd prolly skip off and look for a prompt, or fanfiction challenge I like and write for that to get the creativity flowing again. Eventually I can go back to the original fiction I was writing, and I can write that again.

Logged Logged
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Oh, yeah- Daniella, this post came into my mind the other day 'cause I spotted that you'd posted a new chapter for 'The Asylum', so I wanted to come back here and say 'go you' for overcoming your block! >_> would have done it sooner, too, 'cept that things kept getting in my way .

Congrats on being able to go on with your story!

Logged Logged
Daniella
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 13 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 22
Thanks Freya! It took a while but I finally managed to get it all together, out of my head and into some sense of...order LoL...I was happy with the chapter and I hope my readers were too!

Logged Logged

Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
You're very welcome, hun and I'm sure your fans were ecstatic to have a new chapter to read and loved every word of it .

Logged Logged
Smittee
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 31
For those in the future that may look at this page for reference (I just did for a student of mine). Sometimes, and I know this may be silly, but food. Sometimes the mind is just tired and needs some energy rebuilt to it. This can be a good thing for paper deadlines etc. as well. And I don't mean junk food. Something like veggies, fruits, etc. Sometimes that refreshing food not only taste good and calms you, but your brain can really start flowing. (Does that make sense? I feel like it did. )

By the way, congrats on no writer's block anymore!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/02/24 15:24 By Smittee.

www.dokuga.com/images/fbfiles/images/Smittebucket.jpg
I claimed Shippo\'s transforming powers in the claim game.
Riku Ryuu
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 19
Like Smittee I am leaving my opinion for others that get the dreaded Writer's block.

I know it sounds crazy, but the only thing I can do to get out of a slump is to write. At one point I couldn't write anything good at all so I just wrote nonsense everyday for a few weeks before it started to resemble a story. Writing everyday really helped me, because I think the only block is ourselves.

Good job for getting out of your slump and I wish you will always have words to fill your pages.

Logged Logged

Cause I need all the help I can get
The Hatter Theory
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 14
As crazy as it sounds, I either take some time to write about the writers block, and that generally does it, or I physically act out the scene, say what the characters say etc. (It's not recommended you do this outside for the neighbors to see)

Congrats on getting past it btw.

Logged Logged

I need something that will give me the stamina of a young werewolf, the vision of a shaman, the thoughts of a serial killer, and the gentleness of a hungry vampire bat.
Creature of Shadow
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 18
I listen to the same couple songs over and over while I write. For some reason it just gets makes the words come out. Mine, as well as a few others are listed here. Maybe they can help a few of you too.

www.dokuga.com/forum/34-authors-tools/61434-instrumental-music-to-write-to#61434

This one I've added to my list since then also.

I hope one of them helps. (:

Logged Logged

Made by the wonderful r0o

made by the fabulous Fox
Daniella
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 22
Haha it's kinda funny that this thread came up again because as usual, I'm stuck again on both of my stories*stupid brain* lol. I have actually been working on nonsense stories, stuff I will never publish, and that has been helping a little. I think I just have too many ideas running through my head and they all mush together and then none of them make sense. It's kinda funny when I'm trying to write serious and an e-mail that I sent at work pops into my brain and I start typing a response to it in the middle of a story. Yep, never ever work with numbers if you can help it 2 weeks ago I had the entire bottom line profit margins for my bank branch typed out in 3 paragraphs before I realized that I wasn't at work LoL....yep, nuts I know. Thanks all!!

Logged Logged

MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 29
okay, unrelated to the parent topic but can I just say... as a guitar player myself, just how impressive that guy is? Thats NOT an easy song.

Logged Logged
Creature of Shadow
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 18
MoxyMikki wrote:
okay, unrelated to the parent topic but can I just say... as a guitar player myself, just how impressive that guy is? Thats NOT an easy song.

He's awesome lol. I love the way he plays.

Logged Logged

Made by the wonderful r0o

made by the fabulous Fox
Caleesci
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 9
Hi there,

We all understand where you are coming from, and you readers will as well. I am notorious for writers block, but I simply love to write so one way that always seems to work for me to combat writers block is to put on some great music and then do whats called Stream of Consciousness. Not sure if you have ever heard of that term. It is basically where you write down the first things that pop into your head. Don't even worry if it makes sense, just let your mind write about anything and everything that pops in to it. It is a great de-stresser. I feel like if I step away from writing, my writer's block only gets stronger so this is the way that works best for me. It is also wicked fun to go back and read what you wrote. Sometimes you can even find the ideas for your next chapter floating in between the sentences of insanity. Its quite fun!

Caleesci

Logged Logged

I claimed the Shikon no Tama in the Dokuga Claim Game
Lily Noir
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 12 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 11
Okay, I loved this thread. It's about how to maintain plots and to successfully write a ''big'' story without 'much' writers block. How to fight against said nuisance is included somewhere in there too. (Though, you've all probably read it already)

~lily

Logged Logged

mandy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 12 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 4
I know this is an old thread but I found something that helped my writers block. It's a website "Www.feath.com" defiantly helped me. It's kinda neat, almost like its geared to help authors move forward in the story. I love the quick draw tarrot cards. You type a yes or no question from your characters point of view and a response is given with a tarrot card to aid the writer with ideas.

Logged Logged
Nariko
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fighting Writers Block 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Ah, writer's block...I know this is a pretty old thread, but I thought I'd throw my two scents in here just in case someone else comes to read it like me.

When I get writer's block, I don't listen to music, or eat, or write, or act. I go outside, and you know what I do?

Physical exercise! I work my pa-tooty off until I'm so tired that I go in and sleep/nap for hours, then I come back out, sit down, and it's like I'm a whole new person! I feel bone-numbingly relaxed, and nothing is bugging me, so things just tend to flow.

Hopefully this helps someone with their block ^_~

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.