Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
"Stealing Heaven"- Original Fiction Revisal
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: "Stealing Heaven"- Original Fiction Revisal
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
"Stealing Heaven"- Original Fiction Revisal 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 39
headdesk* I am/will be going through the tedium of revising Stealing Heaven in its current, in-progress entirety. The reason for this (as stated in the thread subject) is because a lot of people have been asking and/or suggesting that this fic be turned into a novel. The idea initially sparked in the early-ish chapters and the support of my readers has made me want to make that notion a reality. Sadly, this may even mean changing- or at least tweaking- the title, since I've recently found that there's not one, but three published novels already baring the very same title. I'm going to have to think up new names for the majority of the characters and decide which story points need to be overhauled completely (like since the setting of the latter section will be moved from Japan to America, swapping out the Shinto funeral rites for A-typical Christian funeral proceedings, things like that).

Truth be told, this greatly upsets, irks and saddens me, 'cause I've sort of come to love the title.

This all being said, I'm asking my dear & beloved readers for some assistance. Any ideas for awesome, thought-provoking titles that might replace the current one? Any names you would want to see these characters go by (btw, the Sesshomaru-character will still be of Japanese descent)? Spotted facts from the story, itself, (like the archeology & forensic stuff or the mysticism) that you feel are incorrect or need some sort of polishing? Please, PM me with your pointers or suggestions, or if you feel what you need to share will be too voluminous, PM me asking for my email address. Understand I'm not asking for concrit regarding small-scale editing or grammar, that's a mess unto itself that will be corrected as the revisal is going on.

Unfortunately, this also means that after the fic is completed- and all revisal & editing work is finished (which may still mean a large window of time that the story remains publicly accessible)- it will be removed from Dokuga & all other sites it currently calls home.

For any curious parties who have no idea what this story is/is about, but would like to find out: Stealing Heaven. No YIMs, story is rated MA.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/04/21 13:25 By Freya Ishtar. Reason: addition
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Sarasama1
Pup
graphgraph
Re:"Stealing Heaven"- Original Fiction Revisal 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 10
How about calling it "Last Rites". It would tie in nicely to the ceremonies around the thief of pleasure and that Lyka was his priestess?

Just a thought

Logged Logged
Fox
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:"Stealing Heaven"- Original Fiction Revisal 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 26
Hi Freya,

Congratulations and good luck on your decision to change your fanfiction into a novel. I wish you the best and success! Have you looked into an agent and everything yet?

Useful Step Info

More useful stuff + agents

Also- I highly doubt there is a single .. anything in the world that has a name that has never been used before. If you like your title and think it fits, keep it.

I've never read your story, but I see this being a lot of work.. giving your characters new names is more than just changing the name in all of the sentences you've written... to me it seems like it also makes you think who gave them that name? Who were there parents, what were they like, why that name?

Fanfiction is very easy in that it already has a complete universe, character base, and backgrounds on everything we write about. Original stories are much more tricky and need just as much love as Inuyasha did in its baby stages- characterization is key! Do you pick up where you left of? Or do you really turn and make this book yours and make every character something from your heart and imagination?

Good luck Freya, really. This sounds very exciting and I can only hope it works out!

Logged Logged

I am the Master Procrastinator of Dokuga, and I wield a mighty game controller!
Freya Ishtar
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:"Stealing Heaven"- Original Fiction Revisal 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 39
Sarasama1- Thank you for the input. Putting that in my notes, it does sound good.

Fox- I know a lot of books have the same title, but . . . eh, it's just that feeling of not wanting to be confused with/compared to, I guess. I mean, I might just end up sticking with the original title. I don't mind having the same title, since the works are likely completely different, the thing is while I do have other potential novels in the works, this may end up being the first one I get to put out there and if it does end up being my first published work, than I kind of want it to have a more individual, set-apart title. Maybe that seems silly, or like I'm overthinking things, perhaps it's a 'milestone' thing.

I have saved myself a little grief in the characterization department 'cause it is an AU and as the story has progressed they've taken on personalities all their own that do deviate from the original characters. This is part of the reason for asking the readers of the story to help me with creating the new names for the characters, 'cause it can't just be any old name, it has to be something that fits the characters.

Thank you for the info and the well-wishes, it means a lot *hugs*.

Logged Logged
Ashes
Pup
graphgraph
Re:"Stealing Heaven"- Original Fiction Revisal 12 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Wow, I'm so happy for you! You can totally do this!

Well as far as names go I'd go with whatever just felt right. I have a few characters that have never named themselves and eventually I just 'knew' what to call them as I was revising or just sat down to think about their personalities.

As for me (hope this helps some), I see Sango as a Sara or an Amy. Miroku could easily turn into Michael (like the naughty angel that John Travolta played)in my mind.
As for Kagome and Sesshoumaru, I have no clue.
I think Miyoga should stay an old asian dude and all those ritual type things should be the same. If you really wanted, Kagome's family could be of Japanese decent and that could be a link that first ties her and Sess-dude together. (I'm sure you've thought of that already) that way you can keep a lot of the details close to the same with a bit of tweaking. Like how would a japanese family honor tradition for their grandfather while being in America. Stuff like that if you're set on changing the locale.

Good luck! If you need coffee while taking on this massive project Illy is really really good stuff and doesn't leave me with the crash (headache from hell) after the caffeine has worn off.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/05/24 14:41 By Reoh.

Look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again. Wisely improve the present. It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future, without fear. ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:"Stealing Heaven"- Original Fiction Revisal 12 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 29
For Sesshomaru's name I though Sheishin. It's japanese like you said you wanted. Here is why I like it: Sheishin means "spirit." He has a strong spirit, which is why he endures everything he's going through. He has the spirit of his daughter lingering around him (spoiler chapter 31.) and He has the spirit of a demon in him. Just an idea. I also used it as the name for a character TBC, and I think its a great name. Its strong and masculine sounding, plus it's unique but clearly of asian origins.

Miroku: I like Michael too, per Ashes suggestion, but it might get confusing to have an angel reference, no matter how subtle. Readers might look for some Angelic intervention at some point. And unless you plan on going that route - in which case, the foreshadowing might be helpful - i'd avoid it. JMO!

when I look for names of characterS I ALWAYS put into consideration their meaning so maybe check out babynames.com or something. Also, historical names from greek mythology is always fun, bu you could also consider using LATIN. I'm proficient in it (actrually I write latin better than english ) so if you want a name that means something specific, give me the meaning and I can give you the latin translation. Sometimes they are neat, othertimes a little too much like the english - then again that often works in favor too.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/05/24 15:12 By MoxyMikki.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.