Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
50 First Lines: A Challenge
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
This thread is a place to post all challenges. All challenges on this site need to be SessKag. If you have any questions contact a moderator.
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: 50 First Lines: A Challenge
Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
50 First Lines: A Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 11
50 First Lines: A Challenge
As of July 13, 2013, I am accepting NO MORE participants! I repeat: Entry for this challenge is CLOSED!

We all know that writing a story, whether it's an original or a bit of fanfiction, is sometimes the hardest thing to do without the perfect first line. The first line is the most important line there is, because it can make or break a reader's interest, and I know firsthand how frustrating it can be to stare at a blank Word document, waiting on that first line to jump out at you.

However, dear writers, I come with a solution: I'm going to give you your first line. It might not be perfect, or even match your style of writing, but that, my poor, unsuspecting saps er, I mean, my lovely, beautiful friends, is part of the challenge. And what's the other part, you ask? Well I have not one, not two, but fifty first lines for you to use…all before someone else uses them first.

What do I mean? Boy, I'm glad you asked!

50 First Lines is a mean, evil, soul sapping, completely horrifying race of sorts, where you and four others (that's five total participants, to those of you who, like me, are slightly numerically challenged) compete against each other to be the first person to successfully use all fifty of my first lines. But before you sigh in relief at how easy that sounds, allow me to present you with a twist: I also have fifty word prompts, and fifty themes, which will be paired with those fifty lines, to make a trifecta of absolute doom. Or, if you'd like a description that's a little less melodramatic, something that'll make your muse think like thinking is going out of style.

Here's how it works:
    • You enter the contest by posting to this thread

• When I have all five participants, I will post individualized image tokens that contain each participants' name, line, prompt, and theme. Each combination will be unique, as I will be scrambling them myself

• All five participants will get their first tokens on the same day, and they then have as much time as they need to write and post a oneshot or the beginning of a chaptered story before linking their completed work/chapter here and receiving their next token

• The first person to use all fifty of their combinations (which will come up to a total of 50 separate entries) wins

And what do you win, am I hearing you ask? Well I'll tell you:
    • First Place – A first place banner, the opportunity to design an original character in one of my upcoming stories, a gift-fic from me in any theme and genre of your choice, and a constructive review of any two of your works

• Second place – A second place banner, a gift-fic of any theme, and a constructive review of one of your works

• Third Place – A third place banner, and a gift-fic of any theme

• Runners Up – An honorable mention banner, and Karma

Sound interesting? Here are the rules:
    1. Your combinations MUST be used EXACTLY as they're given to you. You may not change the tense of your line, although your word prompt and theme may be interpreted as vaguely or as obviously as you choose, so long as I can tell that you've used all three aspects of your combination. Unfortunately, because I'm making all combinations ahead of time as tokens/participation banners, you will not be allowed to switch any part of your combination after I give it to you. Think of it as part of the challenge

2. Your entries MUST be a minimum of 3,000 words. In the interests of being sure that no one has any reason to argue about why someone else finished quicker (which, of course, won't happen here, 'cause you guys are awesome and everything is rainbows and unicorns in the land of Dokuga), the 3,000 word count is a definite, non-negotiable requirement. You may go over the count, but please try to make it to at least 3,000

3. There is no due date for any of your entries, but it is a race, so I would suggest that you write and post as quickly as you can without losing quality—I'm not going to be policing too hard in terms of how you write what you write, but please be sure that you check spelling and grammar to the best of your abilities before you post

4. All ratings are allowed, but please adhere to Dokuga's rules in regards to M and MA rated fiction. If you know that you're too young (as in, under 18) to be reading or writing mature fiction, save yourself the possibility of getting caught and just don't do it. Seriously, my morals will thank you. Profusely

5. Since this is a challenge that calls for multiple entries, you may write either a chaptered story or a collection of oneshots. I will hint that a chaptered story will be much harder to do than a oneshot collection, but which path you decide to take is entirely up to you

So, who are the five who will dare stand up and say "Let's do this!"? Who are the five who will brave uncertain waters, trusting nothing but their muses and their creativity to get them to shore? Is it you? Or maybe you? Or maybe even you there, in the back?

Post below to enter, and step into 50 First Lines!

(Or , you know, post below to ask a question if you're confused—I suppose that's fine too)

~Aubrey

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/07/13 16:32 By Aubrey Simone.

\"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don\'t matter and those that matter don\'t mind.\" - Dr. Seuss

~Aubrey Simone~
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Aleksandra
Pup
graphgraph
Re:50 First Lines: A Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1
Count me in!!!!

Logged Logged
LM Bluejay
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:50 First Lines: A Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 10
This sounds very interesting! Count me in! But just to be clear. For the challenge we are to do 50 entries total each ranging to at least 3,000 words, right?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/07/12 18:09 By lilmiss_bluejay. Reason: Accepting challenge

Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
Re:50 First Lines: A Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 22
Definitely sign me up!

One clarification:

Do you mean 50 first lines with EACH entry being 3k words: (50x3000 = a total word count of 150k)

Or do you mean the 50 first lines combined must be 3k words: (3000/50 = 60 words minimum per entry)

Once we have that clarification I'd like my first challenge

Logged Logged

I claimed Kirara's twin tails in the Claim Game.

~ Fairy tales don't exist ~ Because stories never die ~
Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:50 First Lines: A Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 11
LM Bluejay wrote:
This sounds very interesting! Count me in! But just to be clear. For the challenge we are to do 50 entries total each ranging to at least 3,000 words, right?

That's correct, LM! You will write a total of 50 pieces, each with their own combination of a first line, a theme, and a word prompt.

Hope that clears it up, and thanks for being the first victim participant!

Definitely sign me up!

One clarification:

Do you mean 50 first lines with EACH entry being 3k words: (50x3000 = a total word count of 150k)

Or do you mean the 50 first lines combined must be 3k words: (3000/50 = 60 words minimum per entry)

Once we have that clarification I'd like my first challenge

Thanks for the interest, Lady! As I explained above, I mean 50 first lines with each entry being 3k words.

As for the passing out the first challenges, I'll be waiting to do that until I have all five participants, so that everyone can start at the same time.

So, that being said, I have two contestants - will I get the three more I need to get this show on the road, or will the challenge prove too daunting...?

~Aubrey

Logged Logged

\"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that mind don\'t matter and those that matter don\'t mind.\" - Dr. Seuss

~Aubrey Simone~
Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:50 First Lines: A Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 17
Perhaps this shall spark my passions for writing once more and drag me from the pits of my depression. Count me in.

Logged Logged

Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Rin-Rin wrote:
Perhaps this shall spark my passions for writing once more and drag me from the pits of my depression. Count me in.

Let's hope so, Rin-Rin! Thanks for signing up!

Now I only need one more person to make the most horrible decision of their lives ahem, I mean, accept the challenge hehe. Any takers?

Also, while I'm here...

Do you four have any colors that you absolutely despise so that I know not to use them when I make your banners? Are there any textures/colors/effects that you love? Let me know, or else I'll be flying blind, and I need my glasses, thank you very much.

~Aubrey

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/07/13 12:48 By Aubrey Simone.

~Aubrey Simone~
Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
I love blue... not really a fan of red/orange... but whatever works

Logged Logged

LM Bluejay
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
I'm a fan of the element of surprise, so go ahead and hit me with your best shot.

Logged Logged

Sakura Dragon
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:50 First Lines: A Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 12
I know I'm probably going to regret this and it's going to be hell with my schedule this month, but I really need to get better at writing and give my imagination (which used to be very active once upon a time) a good boost (or a kick, seems more like it). So I'm going to sign up for this.
I like purple and dark green and hate pink. I also love stars.

Logged Logged

I claimed Bankotsu\'s braided hair in The Claim Game
\"A lie is more comfortable than doubt, more useful than love, more lasting than truth.\"
— Gabriel García Márquez
Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Lady Kirara wrote:
I love blue... not really a fan of red/orange... but whatever works
Great! Thanks for the quick response!

LM Bluejay wrote:
I'm a fan of the element of surprise, so go ahead and hit me with your best shot.
Yes, free reign! Hehe thanks!

Sakura Dragon Wrote:
I know I'm probably going to regret this and it's going to be hell with my schedule this month, but I really need to get better at writing and give my imagination (which used to be very active once upon a time) a good boost (or a kick, seems more like it). So I'm going to sign up for this.
I like purple and dark green and hate pink. I also love stars.

Thanks for being my final sacrifice erm contestant, that is!

Now, I've started on the banners, which generally look like this:

Except, you know, with more color and possibly different text (I'm trying to do different texts for everyone) and the actual prompts on them. I won't post the first prompts until I've made all five of the first banners (I have two completed - I'm waiting for Rin-Rin and Aleksandra to tell me color preferences, and Sakura's will be done after I get through agonizing over it lol) but after I've finished all five, I'll post them just like this:

Username 1
Banner

Username 2
Banner

And so on. Your participation banner will also be your prompt, as you can see, and after everyone's first set is posted the race will be on!

I'm getting excited!

~Aubrey

Logged Logged

~Aubrey Simone~
Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Absolutely hate pink and anything really frilly and stereotypically girly. Dark colours, blacks, greys, maroons, navy blue, forest green. If it's dark, I like it. I also like red, orange, and blue. Bright yellows hurt my eyes and lime green or anything neon has me flinching and my gag reflex going. Anything else?

Logged Logged

Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Rin-Rin wrote:
Absolutely hate pink and anything really frilly and stereotypically girly. Dark colours, blacks, greys, maroons, navy blue, forest green. If it's dark, I like it. I also like red, orange, and blue. Bright yellows hurt my eyes and lime green or anything neon has me flinching and my gag reflex going. Anything else?

Nope, that was exactly what I needed to know! Thanks!

~Aubrey

Logged Logged

~Aubrey Simone~
Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
I remembered this, I like lilac and salmon (that orange-pink colour and not the fish though that's good too.) though.

Logged Logged

Aleksandra
Pup
graphgraph
I like pink, blue, purple or green take your pick

Logged Logged
Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Aleksandra wrote:
I like pink, blue, purple or green take your pick
Got it, thanks!

On another note, all banners have been completed, so everyone's first banner will be posted tomorrow (*glances at clock* er, later today, actually ) Sunday, July 14,2013 sometime in the late afternoon/early evening (4pm-6pm, possibly).

I'll cyber-see you all then!

~Aubrey

Logged Logged

~Aubrey Simone~
Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Alright guys, I hope everyone is ready! Here are your first prompt/banners! (Click to collect )

Lady Kirara:

LM Bluejay:

Sakura Dragon:

Rin-Rin:

Aleksandra:

Now, as a reminder, you are to use the line exactly as it's written. The word and theme may be as vague or as obvious as you like, so long as I can tell that you've used them. Your entries should be 3,000 words minimum, and please be sure to post a link here to your completed story so that I know you've finished.

If you can't read your banner, let me know - I won't change the font or anything, but I can tell you what it says.

Everybody ready? Set...? Go!

~Aubrey

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/07/18 09:48 By Aubrey Simone.

~Aubrey Simone~
Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
Don't care for 1st person, but I know how to twist that line around

Challenge accepted

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/07/14 20:11 By Lady Kirara.

LM Bluejay
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Let's get this thing started!

Logged Logged

Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Pretty banner. I also believe I learned a new word even if it's not my prompt.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/07/14 19:50 By Wunderberry.

Sakura Dragon
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:50 First Lines: A Challenge 10 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 12
Love the banner. Lets get started.

Logged Logged

I claimed Bankotsu\'s braided hair in The Claim Game
\"A lie is more comfortable than doubt, more useful than love, more lasting than truth.\"
— Gabriel García Márquez
Aleksandra
Pup
graphgraph
so excited for this!!!!

Logged Logged
Wunderberry
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
This just about killed me. Ugh, sleep now.

01- Reaper Oh yeah, my sleep deprived brain almost forgot that it's rated MA for gory details.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/07/15 02:26 By Wunderberry.

Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
There we go, I can see them now. Thanks m'dear!!

Logged Logged

Aubrey Simone
Whelp
graphgraph
Rin-Rin and Lady Kirara have pulled into the lead - can the others catch up...? We'll just have to see!

Here are you guys' next prompts!

Rin-Rin:

Lady Kirara:

Good luck, and have fun (not that that's possible, ahem I mean which is a total given, right? *grin*)

~Aubrey

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/07/16 12:06 By Aubrey Simone.

~Aubrey Simone~
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.