Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Seeking a highly efficient Minion/Whipcracker
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Seeking a highly efficient Minion/Whipcracker
naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Seeking a highly efficient Minion/Whipcracker 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 32
I'm finally over my writer's block (mostly), and I'm writing again, after two years of near-silence. I've got two main stories going at the moment, an ancient fic that I'm planning to revive and occasional one-shots/challenge entries whenever something strikes my fancy.

I'm quite good at English myself. I grew up speaking it, and majored in English Literature at college, and I make a living as an editor. So, it's not really proofreading that I require. I need a beta with the following qualities:

1. I can spot most errors myself, but I'd like help with other stuff, including the subtler points of grammar. Like comma splices, hanging modifiers, shaky sentence contruction, run-on sentences, wordiness, etc.

2. I have trouble writing smooth dialogue, so I need someone who will be able to guide me there and pull me out of any verbal holes I dig my characters into.

3. I need someone who's got a good grasp of characterisation and will help me keep my characters in line, and shape out OCs properly. I can guarantee that I won't annoy you with stupid, basic mistakes, but the finer points...everytime I do dialogue, characterisation begins zigzagging. ::shrugs::

4. I also need someone who will be able to help me keep a track of where my plot is going, and what I'd had planned for it. Mind you, I rarely work with a full outline. In fact, usually I just have a vague plunnie and I play it by ear. Result: I forgot where the next chappie was supposed to go, or worse, I wrote myself into a corner and can't go in the originally planned direction! The resulting plot holes and ass pulls can be...troublesome.

5. I am not very comfortable with writing lemons. When I do, I put them in a crackfic. So a little help with writing some mature steam..no explicit lemons, just a little steaminess would be HIGHLY appreciated!

That said, I need someone who can work with multiple stories at a time, as that's how I write. They need to be quick, very strict, a grammar nazi, and a good motivator. Don't praise me needlessly. Rip apart my work if you must, but help me improve it and polish it. Most of all, push me to write if it looks like I'm going to be missing a deadline. Oh, and I stink at thinking up chapter titles and such.

I'm a decent, even good writer, I believe, and I'm completely open to criticism and correction. I'm also very tough on myself, being an utter perfectionist. So I expect my beta to be just as tough on me.

To know what you're dealing with, I'd like you to check out my previous work on this site. Specifically: It Broke, Every Gimmick In the Book and Nexus. Especially Nexus. If you wish to take me on, you'll have to give a little test. I shall PM you a little piece of random writing which you'll have to edit for grammar. Then you'll have to go through the three chapters of Nexus that I've posted to this site, and tell me in graphic detail what is wrong with them (not grammar-wise, but with story, plot, narration, characterisation, etc. etc.).

I'm looking forward to finding the perfect beta, for me...so do apply, if you fit the requirements! I'm not as monstrous as I sound. I promise.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/03/21 22:47 By naqaashi.

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s dismembered left arm in the Dokuga Claim Game.

Master Weird-Outer of Dokuga. My tool of choice? A sentient sewing machine called Lord Ew that likes to spew technicoloured handkerchiefs embellished with the stuff that nightmares and crack-fics are made of.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Tsuki Ai
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Seeking a highly efficient Minion/Whipcracker 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 4
I'll apply. I have a lot of time on my hands and wouldn't mind helping.

Logged Logged

naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Seeking a highly efficient Minion/Whipcracker 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 32
wheeeeee!

Logged Logged

Master Weird-Outer of Dokuga. My tool of choice? A sentient sewing machine called Lord Ew that likes to spew technicoloured handkerchiefs embellished with the stuff that nightmares and crack-fics are made of.
naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Seeking a highly efficient Minion/Whipcracker 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 32
::sigh:: isn't there anyone willing to help me in my madness?

Logged Logged

Lady Kirara
Miko
graphgraph
Re:Seeking a highly efficient Minion/Whipcracker 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 22
*giggles* I don't think I'm beta'ing anyone. I'll give it a try

Logged Logged

I claimed Kirara's twin tails in the Claim Game.

~ Fairy tales don't exist ~ Because stories never die ~
Lady Midnight
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Seeking a highly efficient Minion/Whipcracker 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 9
If you still need help I'd love to help you. I'm very quick to spot an error, and I won't always be like, "Good job, it's great!" If I don't believe your working to your full potential. If need be I will "crack the whip" and get you going, I'll understand if there's a reason you can't update, and I won't be like, "This is terrible!!!" Unless you want me to. Taking all these facts into consideration I hope I can help if you still need it.

Logged Logged
naqaashi
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Seeking a highly efficient Minion/Whipcracker 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 32
@Lady Midnight - Hey! Thanks so much for the offer, but I've already found a beta. I've had Lady Kirara for a while now, and my old beta, ItsyBitsySpider is back from her vacation. So my cup runneth over, with the two of them collectively examining every fic of mine to within an inch of its life, the wonderful girls! <3 ::glomps both::

Thank you for offering though!

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.