Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Dealing with hate
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Dealing with hate
mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Dealing with hate 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 11
Alright so I'm not new to receiving hate for some of my stories and I admit I'm not that great. But recently I rewrote a fic and I was kinda of proud if it but of the course of yesterday when I posted and today I've received nothing but mean reviews.

Mainly about my grammar spelling errors were I used the wrong there. And I would've of understood if the person said hey maybe you should get a beta or explained what tense was wrong or just say this was wrong but I likes this.

Instead it seems like they picked my story purely to point out errors. The lastest reviewer said this after correcting me "strike yet another author."

I know I'm sensitive but am I being too sensitive with this? I'm trying really hard to not let it get to me but it really really hurts and I cried and I feel stupid for crying but I can't help it.

I'm sorry if this is stupid, I just thought I'd ask you guys because you all are pretty nice even when telling me what I did was wrong or not. Thank you in advance.

Logged Logged

Supermangageek23 is Bucket 88.5 in Dokugas Bucket Brigade
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
sugar0o who lurks
Destroyer of Boxes
graph
Re:Dealing with hate 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 216
I'm sorry for anyone who has said something like this! But i looked through your reviews and unless i missed it i didn't see it here on Dokuga. is it on another site?

People some times can be mean, even when they dont have any reason to be. some people also think they are helping when they tell you. I'm sorry either way.

Logged Logged

We all have our demons, I named mine r0o.
On HHr Shipping
- Come to the DarkSide - We might be delusional but we have cookies. - apAidan
I claims Naraku`s pelt :3 KUKUKU!!
r0o`s Challenge`s: GenderBender~Always Open.....Completing your Holiday Fic Challenge.....GM Challenge: OPEN!.....
Banners: I write to........Lemon.....Bribery c0okie.....
Challenges r0o supports: .....
UnknownRandomness
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Dealing with hate 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 14
I don't think you are being stupid at all! From what you've said, these people seem to be the ones at fault, purposefully picking on you. Sure, it can be a little off-putting when a good story has glaring spelling mistakes or grammatical errors; but we all do it, and it is nothing that you should be made to feel bad about.

My dear, I have only received hate once before and it was so awful I prayed that I would never experience it again. When I told my brother about the unsavoury comment left on one of my stories (on another site), he promptly said that I was the one putting my work out there, which requires guts - far more than the trolls leaving horrible comments possess. In fact, I began to see it as a badge of honour; that my writing had been so very terrible to someone they felt like wasting some of their pitiful life to tell me how rubbish it was. It made me feel like I was worth noticing, even if not for the best of reasons.

I'm very sorry that you have had such a depressing experience, but please try and keep your chin up! If you're proud of your work, then that is a great starting point for others to enjoy it too. There will always be people who you cannot please no matter how hard you try, but I am sure that to some anon out there in the vastness of the web, your story was brilliant and may perhaps even inspire them to write their own.

If I were you, I wouldn't respond to nor even read the comments (if I could help it). If they get worse and you feel bullied, don't hesitate to contact one of the admin staff; those wonderful folks can sort the trolls out!

Woah, that was longer than I intended XD Keep being awesome and writing your brilliant stories, supermangageek23!

Logged Logged
Miko Sayuri
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Dealing with hate 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 3
Both of them are right. Don't listen to what other people say. We all make mistakes. No one is perfect. Some think they are, but they're nuts. I think you have a brilliant idea going for your story. Writing makes every author better. I would love to read more of the story, you are writing. If you want I'll be your beta. I love doing it and I have time. Keep your head held high.

Logged Logged
mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Dealing with hate 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 11
sugar0o wrote:
I'm sorry for anyone who has said something like this! But i looked through your reviews and unless i missed it i didn't see it here on Dokuga. is it on another site?

People some times can be mean, even when they dont have any reason to be. some people also think they are helping when they tell you. I'm sorry either way.

Yeah it was on FFn. sorry ;w; I should have said that and thank you

Logged Logged

mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
UnknownRandomness wrote:
I don't think you are being stupid at all! From what you've said, these people seem to be the ones at fault, purposefully picking on you. Sure, it can be a little off-putting when a good story has glaring spelling mistakes or grammatical errors; but we all do it, and it is nothing that you should be made to feel bad about.

My dear, I have only received hate once before and it was so awful I prayed that I would never experience it again. When I told my brother about the unsavoury comment left on one of my stories (on another site), he promptly said that I was the one putting my work out there, which requires guts - far more than the trolls leaving horrible comments possess. In fact, I began to see it as a badge of honour; that my writing had been so very terrible to someone they felt like wasting some of their pitiful life to tell me how rubbish it was. It made me feel like I was worth noticing, even if not for the best of reasons.

I'm very sorry that you have had such a depressing experience, but please try and keep your chin up! If you're proud of your work, then that is a great starting point for others to enjoy it too. There will always be people who you cannot please no matter how hard you try, but I am sure that to some anon out there in the vastness of the web, your story was brilliant and may perhaps even inspire them to write their own.

If I were you, I wouldn't respond to nor even read the comments (if I could help it). If they get worse and you feel bullied, don't hesitate to contact one of the admin staff; those wonderful folks can sort the trolls out!

Woah, that was longer than I intended XD Keep being awesome and writing your brilliant stories, supermangageek23!

That was really sweet and I almost cried again.

Logged Logged

mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Ruby Powell wrote:
Both of them are right. Don't listen to what other people say. We all make mistakes. No one is perfect. Some think they are, but they're nuts. I think you have a brilliant idea going for your story. Writing makes every author better. I would love to read more of the story, you are writing. If you want I'll be your beta. I love doing it and I have time. Keep your head held high.

Thank you for your encouraging words and I'd love to take you up on your offer.

Logged Logged

kaoruhana
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Dealing with hate 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 109
As the others said- don't worry and keep your head up. It takes a lot of guts to put writing out there and no one should ever feel belittled because of it. By the way, i looked up your stories and read the one that the person left the rude review for. The story I read is a beautiful piece of work. So what, if there's a slight mistake- I personally find it extremely difficult to write a story with the plot line you did. There's always someone out there who tries to hurt others, but there's a lot more people who are much kinder. Look at them and don't dwell on the past

Logged Logged
Miko Sayuri
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Dealing with hate 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 3
Alright boss

Logged Logged
genie48
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Dealing with hate 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
I write fanfic for a tv show on ff.net and have for several years. While I haven't gotten alot of reviews exactly like you're talking about, the ones I have received have been very nasty. Mine are usually brutal personal attacks because the reader doesn't like what I'm doing with the characters or how I'm portraying them. These people never leave their names or a way to respond to them. Quite often they make remarks making me think they target authors intending to upset them so bad they stop writing. Similar to the remark you mentioned about "another author down."

Please don't let them make you stop.

They're cowards or they would leave their names and a way for you to respond to their reviews. If you can respond to their review, you can politely disinvite them from reading your story. I've done that before with the one nasty reviewer I could respond to. Just sent over a nice email that said something like, "I'm sorry you aren't enjoying my story. Since you aren't, I'm politely inviting you to stop reading my story since I've stopped reading your reviews. However, I am leaving your review up for everyone to read." That put a stop to that person's nasty reviews. However,I've never had anyone else who left a nasty review leave their name because they want to spread their "joy" without being accountable for doing it.

Personally, I believe newer writers like you deserve encouragement and support to keep writing and improving. Not rudeness and tearing down. You don't know me; but, I'm encouraging you to stick with your stories no matter what! You clearly enjoy writing! Don't let some silly person rob you of that pleasure!

To keep on writing is the best revenge you'll ever have against these people and it doesn't hurt anyone! Continue your stories. Continue rewriting. Continue to improve and learn your craft. Don't be afraid to look words up if you're not sure how to spell them or what tense to use. Work with a beta as it seems you'll be doing. Try to find the good in bad reviews that you can use to improve your writing and fight to ignore the rest.

I've been writing stories and novels for over thirty years. However, I promise you I still make lots of mistakes in my fanfic now. The people who read me know I only post rough drafts and not beta'd works. They're okay with the occassional typos and the like. However, if I get too sloppy, they point out my mistakes and we make a joke about it because they're not out to hurt my feelings - only to make me a better writer.

Those are the kinds of critiques and constructive criticisms you want to pay attention to because the people who have been reading your fanfic for a while really care about you as a writer. They want you to keep writing and to improve. Anyone else who's just being ugly really doesn't matter. I'm not saying their words don't hurt. They do. They hurt me when I get them; but, I shake it off. Try to develop a tough enough skin to ignore them and keep writing. It's hard to do and it takes time. It's taken me years to do it; but, it's worth it.

Remember, they have a choice not to read your story. They also have a choice not to comment if they do. Also, not everyone will like your story and they may let you know it. If they're decent about it, it's their opinion and that's okay. I try to find something in those negative reviews that I can use to improve my writing and story telling abilities instead of getting my feelings hurt. You'd be surprised how much good I've learned from the occassional review like that once I got my pride and my hurt feelings out of the way.

Please just keep writing and know in a year or two you'll laugh at the stories you write now because what you write then will be so much better! That's just how writing works! It isn't something most of us do well from the start. I certainly didn't and I don't know anyone who did write well without practice! We improve with time and experience. Just don't give up because of a few nasty experiences!

All the best and hang in there!

Logged Logged
mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Thank you guys, this really pushes me through. Some of the other reviews I've got have made me want to stop but I began writing because I like writing and I will try not to stop because of some mean people.

I've cried a lot over this whole situation but I'll try not to cry anymore and I'll work hard.

Thank you all so very much, I am truly truly deeply touched and have come to realize while some will choose to be mean, others will choose to be nice. Really thank you.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.