Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Anime/Manga Recommendations
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Anime/Manga Recommendations
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Anime/Manga Recommendations 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 25
Since I've been sick, I spend most of my time at home watching Netflix or stuff online.

On that note, I've exhausted most of my faves and am in need of recommendations for new anime and/or manga.

I'm up for just about any genre, since I'll try anything once.

Share your faves! I am starting to get into a rut with the same things over and over again.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Anime/Manga Recommendations 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 46
There are a lot of nice suggestions in this thread. Mine are in there as well.

Manga Recommendations

Logged Logged

MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Anime/Manga Recommendations 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 25
I didn't even see that thread. I feel like a total derp head right now.

Thanks!

Logged Logged
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Anime/Manga Recommendations 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 52
Since that thread asked for restricted limitations on the type of anime or manga to read, I'll add a few more;

Anime -
Rurouni Kenshin - Subbed version far better than Dubbed.
Macross Frontier - Dubbed version probably better than Subbed.
Excel Saga - Dubbed version probably better than Subbed.
Dragon Ball Z - Dubbed version definitely better than Subbed.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Better than original, Dubbed pretty good.
Hellsing Ultimate - Follows original storyline better than original Hellsing. Either version works.

Manga -
Red River

Logged Logged

RogueKittieKat
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Anime/Manga Recommendations 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
Why don't you share with us what are some of your favs and the type of things you like or do not like?

I am pretty sure all of us otakus would not mind another opportunity to share with a fellow fan.

Also, as someone who has to stay at home due to poor health, I know exactly what you are going through!

I am not sure what sources you use online but I check www.goodanime.net daily and every season there are at least six to seven new shows I manage to find to enjoy.

For example this season I am hooked on - Blood Lad, Brothers Conflict, Free! Iwatobi Swim Club, Highschool DxD New (very ecchi) and Makai Ouji: Devils and Realists.

As for manga, I am currently reading like over a dozen series right now, three of those being very good (IMO of course) korean web comics - Noblesse, Girls of the Wild and Dear, Only You Don't Know!

Anyways, I am tired and the others I can only think of I already mentioned in the other thread.

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Walter - Kenshin will always be a classic for me. It is on my list of all time favorite series!

RogueKittieKat Unfortunately, I can't get online to watch things anymore since my computer is a piece of outdated crud. I'll have to see if any of your recommendations are on youtube!

As far as my tastes go, I will watch just about anything from kids stuff to complete and total bloody horror. I like to keep my horizons open!

Logged Logged
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Have you tried My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? It's a pretty good show. Might not be Japanese in origin, as well as next rec; Avatar: The Last Airbender but they're pretty good.

Logged Logged

MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
The Avatar series is a good one. I miss that one something fierce!

I'm not sure if I can do the MLP. I played with the toys in the 80s, and seeing them now... Kills my childhood XD

Logged Logged
Haven
Pup
graphgraph
I concur with Walter and Momo - Avatar: Last Airbender is all kinds of perfection! The writing is soooo good!

Logged Logged
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Have you watched any of the follow up series to The Last Airbender, called the Legend of Korra?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Korra#Cast_and_characters

Logged Logged

MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Yesss! It's really rad. I want to sit down and have a marathon.

Logged Logged
Haven
Pup
graphgraph
I have tried to watch it, but it just doesn't quite have the magic that was Avatar. For me, the characters just aren't as well developed as the original. So I stopped watching it bc I thought they way they ended Last Airbender was perfect!

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Haven wrote:
I have tried to watch it, but it just doesn't quite have the magic that was Avatar. For me, the characters just aren't as well developed as the original. So I stopped watching it bc I thought they way they ended Last Airbender was perfect!

It didn't have the same magic, but I still loved the story. It was something I easily got into.

Logged Logged
RogueKittieKat
Pup
graphgraph
MomoDesu wrote:
RogueKittieKat Unfortunately, I can't get online to watch things anymore since my computer is a piece of outdated crud. I'll have to see if any of your recommendations are on youtube!

As far as my tastes go, I will watch just about anything from kids stuff to complete and total bloody horror. I like to keep my horizons open!

I will try to make a list for you. I have watched so much anime its ridiculous and I like you I will watch/read anything once.

Give me a few days to work on it, in the middle of an 18th b-day party for my oldest son, trying to finish beta'ing a chapter and my umpteenth (is that a word?) play through of Dragon Age.

Logged Logged
landofthekwt
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Anime/Manga Recommendations 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 8
Legend of Korra Season 2 will start in September

The two manga/anime I would recommend are NANA and GINTAMA.

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
RogueKittieKat wrote:

I will try to make a list for you. I have watched so much anime its ridiculous and I like you I will watch/read anything once.

Give me a few days to work on it, in the middle of an 18th b-day party for my oldest son, trying to finish beta'ing a chapter and my umpteenth (is that a word?) play through of Dragon Age.

It's all good I've been keeping busy with writing lately, and that's endless hours of entertainment right from my noggin!

I've been watching a ton of Cartoon Network lately. Makes me miss the old shows, but some of the new ones aren't bad at all. Regular show and Adventure Time are pretty awesome.

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
landofthekwt wrote:
Legend of Korra Season 2 will start in September

The two manga/anime I would recommend are NANA and GINTAMA.

Yay for more Korra! So excited!

Nana is another fave of mine. I'll have to check out Gintama. Thanks!

Logged Logged
RogueKittieKat
Pup
graphgraph
Ok. I am going with ones you might find on Netflix and other sites as you said streaming was not the best option.

Trinity Blood
Saiyuki also has sequels
Samurai Deeper Kyo
D.N.Angel
Rune Soldier
Gungrave
Basilisk
Witch Hunter Robin
Outlaw Star
Jing King of Bandits
Peacemaker Kurogane
Chrono Crusade
Mirage of Blaze

Now all of these are are at least 10 years old some 20 and I liked well enough I bought physical copies of.

Also, as I have included links for each anime, if you are a minor please observe the ratings for each individual anime as I know some them are have violence and suggestive situations in them but not all of them are that way.

Thank you.

Logged Logged
KEdakumi
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Anime/Manga Recommendations 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 56
MomoDesu wrote:

I'm not sure if I can do the MLP. I played with the toys in the 80s, and seeing them now... Kills my childhood XD

I also grew up on the first series of MLP. This incarnation isn't too bad. My oldest is a brony so we end up watching it a lot around here.
Right now I'm working my way through the Fairy Tale anime and loving it. That and the used copy of Pinky and the Brain I just bought. Now their theme song is running through my head

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/09/20 21:30 By KEdakumi.

bookgirl813
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Anime/Manga Recommendations 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 76
I recently discovered "Midnight Secretary." It's a rather short series that can be found online - if you don't mind the over-done vampire thing. This one is rather different, but still quite seductive. Rated M.

Logged Logged
cassandra
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Anime/Manga Recommendations 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 16
Here's some anime that I think are awesome:

Bleach
Kekkaishi
Aquarion
Chobitz
Kaze no stigma
Fairytail
Sword art online (This one is a newer one)
Wolfs rein
Kenichi (I'm pretty sure that's how you spell it)
Witchblade
Fruits basket

There's tons of other ones that I like too I just can't think of them right now. If I think of more I'll let you know!

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Anime/Manga Recommendations 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
cassandra wrote:
Here's some anime that I think are awesome:

Bleach
Kekkaishi
Aquarion
Chobitz
Kaze no stigma
Fairytail
Sword art online (This one is a newer one)
Wolfs rein
Kenichi (I'm pretty sure that's how you spell it)
Witchblade
Fruits basket

There's tons of other ones that I like too I just can't think of them right now. If I think of more I'll let you know!

Yah I only know about Bleach and Fruit Baskets from that list. I'd suggest either, they're fairly good if lacking in depth, although the supporting cast are entertaining. I would suggest Vampire Knight, although it is notably about teenage vampires in a cross-species school of humans and vampires, split into the day-class - Humans, and the Night class - vampires. It's not bad, save the female lead is way too much like Bella from Twilight for my level of comfort. She's uninspiring, but tolerable for a teenage vampire.

I would recommend some anime-style films that are OK. I tend to prefer the more mature versions of such series like the animated version of the manga Ghost in the Shell, starring Motoko, a cyborg who acts primarily as an employee of a futuristic branch of the police. I like it as the series is intelligent, contains some interesting story arcs, and is just plain full of action, and a bit of gore too. I'd say it's rated more towards Mature audiences than kids.

The Vampire Hunter D film Bloodlust is fairly good too, as is the lengthened version of the CGI Final Fantasy VII film on Blueray - Advent Children. Although my favourite is probably the Ghost in the Shell film, Stand Alone Complex. The Appleseed manga/anime film that's also CGI called Deus Ex Machina is very good too, if you like futuristic cyborg/machine/post apocalyptic society arcs.

The Ninja Scroll anime films are okay, although I must say that the best animated samurai-based anime film I have ever seen is Sword of a Stranger, which english-dubbed or in the original chinese/japanese is absolutely beautifully voiced, and animated. Just beware of the gore. It is a film about people swinging swords around, thus, there are more serious injuries than mere papercuts.

I'd suggest Naruto manga or anime, purely for the entertainment value. I have seriously never ever seen an animated person ever step into a pile of dog-crap in my life until I saw this series. I know it's more aimed at kids to teenagers, but besides the intriguing characters, what kept me going back was purely the humour, plus I'm an Uchiha fan. Yah Sasuke is a pain in the tuckus, but he is just cool if in need of a hair-cut.

I'm still not entirely certain why male anime characters have gravity-defying spiky hair. I mean seriously, they could poke an eye out with that much volume in their locks. Must have something to do with a build up in static electricity, or a fascination with hair-gel. XD I dunno.

Lastly Dragonball and Dragonball Z, and only because I adore Vegeta, even if he is a maniacal vegetable-head, who resembles a short, squat, and tanned carrot. He's a powerhouse and he's adorable in a crazy as hatter kinda way. Exiled Space-Princes have issues I guess.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/09/21 06:24 By Pyre.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.