Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Manga Recommendations?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Manga Recommendations?
Kairou Watoshimi
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 19
So I'm kind of... bored. And I have about a week of freedom until classes start again and I really want to pick up a new series to fangirl over.

You can also recommend animes and asian dramas if you would like but I'm not much of a "watch this" type of person. On average, I get through about ten episodes of animes and dramas and I actually have to force myself to get that far (and with half the screen drawing or reading fanfictions).

Anyway, I don't have a preference but I hate typical romance lovey-dovey whatevers. I love a strong female lead... I love things with a dash of humor (that's not required) and hate angst.

Uh... a few of my favorites are (Ratings Included):

- Noblesse (T for fighting)
- Skip Beat (T)
- Koi Dano Ai Dano (T) <-- MY CURRENT OBSESSION - MUST READ! There's a prequel, read that first. But the prequel's more of a collection of short stories with a recurring female lead so if that isn't your cup of tea, you can skip it.
- Tower of God (M) <-- It's unique but I'm not as obsessed with it as most people seem to be.
- Until Death Do Us Part (MA!!!) and not for the reason you think) It's not romance. It's no where near romance. It's rated MA because for fighting and people's body parts getting chopped off. I really recommend it.
- [/b]Oresama Teacher[/b] (T)

* Everything's rated MA for swearing... I think.

I read the rules so I'm pretty sure this kind of post is allowed, but if it's not let me know... I'll correct it - There's kind of a few updated versions so I might have missed something.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 52
Excel Saga is really the only thing I can recommend from that Category off the top of my head. While I don't know if there is a Manga, the Anime is short (25-26 Episodes). Macross Frontier might fit your bill as well.

Logged Logged

mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 11
Oh oh oh!!! I almost forgot!!!!>.<

There this one that's really funny, but be warned it has crossdressers Princess Princess.

Family Complex is a good funny one, about an odd family.

The Day of Revolution is hard to describe but it's nice.

Then there are the classics!
If you haven't I really suggest reading Ranma 1/2, it's by Rumiko as well and it was what I read before I got into InuYasha. It's hilarious and funny and just a good read. It's probably rated M, 16 up. Another Rumiko one I would suggest is Kyoukai no Rinne.

Now this one, I read recently and it's pretty funny and a bit mature. Bonnouji, it's a sorta daily life manga but quirky(?)

Logged Logged

Supermangageek23 is Bucket 88.5 in Dokugas Bucket Brigade
mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
**Note, there is a reason why I'm supermangageek >///>

Well some of my faves involve lots or romance and drama, but I won't recommend those.

Instead, I'll recommend some really funny ones! And a few shounen ones as well~

Okay so Polar Bear Cafe or Shirokuma Cafe is a cute and hilarious anime.

A cute and ridiculous, weird funny manga is Yotosuba

Then there's Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt which is rated M, 17 and up. Though rather crude and gross it has a lot of good humor.

Then of course there's Hetalia, though it may seem like it has a bad rep, it's really funny plus has a few actually facts throughout.

For a shounen with action and humor, I would suggest, Black Cat, it has a really nice storyline.

Another good one is Full Metal Alchemist, it doesn't have a whole lot of humor but just enough were there isn't a dull or depressing note to it.

Now! If you want to read some stuff that has a bit more physiological edge, I would suggest Mars and Kare Kano. Both have romance and humor but also deal with some serious mental issues.

While were on romance, there are a few that are romance and humor without being overly so. Like, Beauty Pop and Beauty is the Beast.

Okay so for asian dramas! There is a reason there called dramas! Most are so dramatic and just woOOoOOAh! I can recommend some good ones, if you let me know what you've seen before.

Also, Dangan Ronpa is pretty good! Though I would go ahead and go through and read the let's play which I can link if you wish.

I know a lot lot loooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!!! more, but I think this may be good. Feel free to come to the manga master for all manga needs, hehe ^^

P.S.!!
I can link you to any of the above ^w^

Logged Logged

Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 46
Hm, I can try and give a few recommendations with summaries based on this, but I dunno if you'll like them or not, so tread carefully.
P.S. I'll try and rate them appropriately, but I usually fail at ratings...

Id (M) - Chunwha is plunged into a world beyond his own... There he will struggle to find his own purpose among the many inhabitants of the new world including elves, dwarves, and even mages.

Dogs, Bullets & Carnage
(MA) - It is sometime in the future, where a certain European city extends far underground, even secret, dark levels that have the key to the past. Ex-assassin Mihai has returned. Sword-wielding Naoto, Haine a mysterious product of genetic engineering and his sometime partner Badou, not to mention the scary but cute twins Luki and Noki, hang around plying their dangerous, and often deadly trades.
Beelzebub (M) - The story follows the strongest juvenile delinquent, Oga Tatsumi, a first year in Ishiyama High. One day while sleeping next to a river he sees a man floating down it, he pulls him to shore and the man splits in half revealing a baby boy. This boy is the son of the demon king and he has been chosen as the one to raise it with the baby s demon maid Hilda.

P.P.S The second recommendation may have angst, I dunno, but then again Until Death Do Us Part has the same amount of angst I think, so I added it...

There is Black Lagoon (MA), too, but that definitely has some angsty parts.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/08/16 18:16 By Stella Mira.

Kairou Watoshimi
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 19
supermangageek23 wrote:

AHHH! Thank you so much for all the recommendations, I've read a few of them but most are all new to me. I'm going to be busy, busy, busy for the next couple of days.

Let's see... for dramas, I've seen Vampire Prosecutor, Sennyu Tantei Tokage, <3 and that's it I think I tend to like those crime solving ones...

Forced myself for watch through: Smiling Pasta and ... a japanese drama based off a manga but I don't remember the name. The manga's Wallflower though... I think.

Began but never finished:

Secret Garden, Boys Over Flowers, Easy Fortune Happy Life, Protect the Boss, God's Quiz, Fated to Love You, Coffee Prince, Hi My Sweetheart, Faith, Doctor Jin (Jun? Something like that?)

* The ones in bold are ones that I plan to pick up again... maybe.

I'll check out the one you recommended <3 since I've never even heard of that.

Logged Logged
Kairou Watoshimi
Whelp
graphgraph
Walter205 wrote:
Excel Saga is really the only thing I can recommend from that Category off the top of my head. While I don't know if there is a Manga, the Anime is short (25-26 Episodes). Macross Frontier might fit your bill as well.

Thank you so much!! I'll be sure to check them out. I'm amazed... there are so many I haven't even heard of *shot*

Logged Logged
Kairou Watoshimi
Whelp
graphgraph
Stella wrote:

I've heard of Id and read Beelzebub (or at least began to) but I'll check out the other two even Black Lagoon.

Thank you soo much for the recommedations <3

Logged Logged
Stella Mira
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 46
Kairou Watoshimi wrote:
Stella wrote:

I've heard of Id and read Beelzebub (or at least began to) but I'll check out the other two even Black Lagoon.

Thank you soo much for the recommedations <3

'Twas my pleasure!
Oh, since you like Noblesse, have you read Ability by the same author/artist duo?

Logged Logged

mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Kairou Watoshimi wrote:
supermangageek23 wrote:

AHHH! Thank you so much for all the recommendations, I've read a few of them but most are all new to me. I'm going to be busy, busy, busy for the next couple of days.

Let's see... for dramas, I've seen Vampire Prosecutor, Sennyu Tantei Tokage, <3 and that's it I think I tend to like those crime solving ones...

Forced myself for watch through: Smiling Pasta and ... a japanese drama based off a manga but I don't remember the name. The manga's Wallflower though... I think.

Began but never finished:

Secret Garden, Boys Over Flowers, Easy Fortune Happy Life, Protect the Boss, God's Quiz, Fated to Love You, Coffee Prince, Hi My Sweetheart, Faith, Doctor Jin (Jun? Something like that?)

* The ones in bold are ones that I plan to pick up again... maybe.

I'll check out the one you recommended <3 since I've never even heard of that.

u.u I'm sorry that you've already read some, but I do hope you like the ones you haven't read! Oh and I've read and watched the anime for Wallflower, the other name for is not Smiling Pasta that I know of. >.>

HMMMmMmmm then have you watched You're Beautiful? There's this drama called Panda and Hedgehog, and it's pretty good.

Another drama I really loved that had a whooole lot of ups and downs and just adsfljakne is Job Well Done

OOOOo! OOOO! There's this manga called Hana Kimi and there's a live action drama for it, there's two versions, go with the korean not japanese one. The korean one is more close to the manga.

Would you watch korean reality drama? If yes, then I suggest We Just Got Married and Hello Baby.

Logged Logged

mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Oops and one more drama I liked is Dandelion Family

Lastly, a korean movie that I loooooved but was sad as crap near the end is A Millionaire's First Love, it does have it's really funny moments though, so yeah ^w^

Logged Logged

saiyuri06
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
Given your preferences I really have to recommend Gokusen. It is crudely drawn at first but does get better. here is a summary and link.

At first glance this looks like the female version of GTO. However Kumiko is the daughter of a Yakuza boss and must hide her background so she doesn't get fired from her first teaching job. Comparisions aside, Gokusen stands in it own right with its witty humour and dialogue.

www.mangahere.com/manga/gokusen/

p.s- I am a huge shin fan

Logged Logged

sai
Caera
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 1
Yeah,that korean movie's ending is heart wrenching?

Logged Logged
Sakura Dragon
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 12
Have you read Heart no Kuni no Alice? I really liked it. Also I too recommend the anime Hetalia. The episodes are really short and it's very sweet and funny. I always watch it when I'm depressed because it lifts my spirit.

Also, the ongoing manga Kamisama Hajimemashita is pretty good. There's also a short anime (13 episodes).

I can see why you can't get through asian dramas since you hate angst . A great korean variety show that I like watching is Running Man. It has a great format and also some very interesting insights into korean culture. Plus it tends to get really silly at times.

Is this thread limited to manga? Because I have some nice webcomics I could recommend.

Logged Logged

I claimed Bankotsu\'s braided hair in The Claim Game
\"A lie is more comfortable than doubt, more useful than love, more lasting than truth.\"
— Gabriel García Márquez
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 156
Tokyo Crazy Paradise - From the same author as Skip Beat! Set in an utopian future, the main character is forced to become a bodyguard for a Yakuza boss in order to pay off a deb.
It has humour, action, quirky characters and romance. And a strong female lead, undoubtedly. Contains cross-dressing and occasional/partial nudity.

W-Juliet - A cross-dressing manga, again. Tells a story of two high school students who meet in the drama club and who both dream of becoming actors. Humour verging on silly on a few occasions, and romance ensues.

Bakuman - A story of two boys whose dream is to become a mangaka. A sweet story, all in all, and interesting in that how in essence it is a shounen battle manga but there are no swords or superpowers involved like usual, these battles are wrought with pen and brains. I also love the whole meta-ness of the series; it's manga about making manga.

Hapi Mari - A josei manga, so romance, drama and smut are a given. No minors for this one! A woman is forced to marry her boss in exchange for him paying off her debts.

All the above series are completed.

For manhwa, my favourite series probably is Goong. It is completed, and it also has been made into a TV drama. It's funny verging on silly, but also gets angsty in places, so be warned.

Another drama I enjoyed is Otomen. It is based on an on-going manga series by the same name.

Lastly, I'd like to mention Yazawa Ai's works like Paradise Kiss and NANA which are beautiful, but might get too angsty so maybe not your cup of tea. ^^;

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/08/17 04:46 By Chie.
BelovedStranger
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 60
I won't bore you by giving you a long list of manga that I have enjoyed but instead give you my all time favorite completed manga.

Saver by Eun Young Lee: PLOT: Lena Ha is a beautiful and tough girl who is the captain of kumdo team. She grew up under the eye of her single mother, who is constantly harassed by the wife of Lena's father. She meets Hyun-Min Kang, the son of the president of a large company in Korea, and the two seem to feel love at first sight. The couple learn that they are half-siblings, and Hyun-Min's mother thinks Lena has motives of revenge for her relationship with Hyun-Min. Thus Hyun-Min's mother sends her thugs to take care of the problem. They murder Lena's mother with Lena's sword and then chase Lena down and attack her until she falls into a strange body of water. When Lena comes to, she finds herself in an unfamiliar kingdom, with only the sword that ended her mother's life and thoughts of revenge. She is told by a prophet that her only way to return home is to disguise herself as a man and find the rightful king of the land. On her journey to find this man she comes to discover a feeling of responsibility towards the people of this land, and the people of the land discover that they might have found their "Child of Destiny."

There is romance but no smut but since there are gory battle scenes it's probably rated MA.

Logged Logged

~BelovedStranger~
Kairou Watoshimi
Whelp
graphgraph
zdfjksa;!! So many recommendations! Thank you all so much! Karma for everyone (it's the least I can do!) I'ma get started now <3

Logged Logged
RogueKittieKat
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
I saw OP had Noblesse listed first and I had to stop lurking to post. I am so in love with that webcomic. I squeal every week when I read the new one. (M-21 is a close second to Sesshy for me lol!)

Back on topic now though...

I read A LOT of manga as I am housebound so I literally go to starkana.com and use the filters and just read everything. However I have a few that really stick out.

Black Bird

Kamisama Hajimemashita

Dendrobates

All three of them are mature themed so please view with caution.

*edit*

I forgot about another one that is a bit on the tamer side but still very good.

Five

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/08/17 18:41 By roguekittiekat.
Aura
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 10
If you haven't already seen it and like strong female lead characters I actually recommend Ouran High School Host Club. It's a reverse harem but unlike most of them the lead female is actually very smart and has her own opinions. I think she's likely the strongest heroine in the otome genre. She's probably in my top 5 as far as female anime characters I like go. And I think the manga did a better job with the story than the anime.

Logged Logged
mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Adding to what Aura said, OHSHC is awesome! Haruhi is really funny and relatable.

Logged Logged

DN Silence
Whelp
graphgraph
You want shoujo or shounen recommendation?

Logged Logged

Spyair Forever! MAKOHARU is my OTP! GINTAMA FOR LIFE!
Kairou Watoshimi
Whelp
graphgraph
DN Silence wrote:
You want shoujo or shounen recommendation?

Really, I don't think it really matters to me. As long as the story is entertaining, I'll probably like it. There are some shoujo stories that I love and others that I hate and the same goes with shounen. I'm willing to give everything a try, just as long as the leads aren't weak and annoying. -.-

Logged Logged
Kairou Watoshimi
Whelp
graphgraph
supermangageek23 wrote:
Adding to what Aura said, OHSHC is awesome! Haruhi is really funny and relatable.

OHSHC is one of the only things where I prefer the anime over the manga. Haruhi though, is one of my favorite female leads of all time. So strong-willed!

Logged Logged
DN Silence
Whelp
graphgraph
then, for SHOUJO:

1. Kaichou wa Maid-sama is a MUST read/watch. The main girl is my most favorite Shoujo heroine, the best. The main couple is the best shoujo couple ever. Love the anime's voice actor/ess as well. Personally, I think it's better than OHSHC (I love this one too.) Genre is baddass, happy romance YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS ONE. Anime:25 ep. Manga: almost finish

2. Kamisama Hajimemashita (like RogueKittieKat recomended above.) Cute and unique plot. Main couple is awesome. The anime is cute, but the manga is much better. You just have to read it one of those day.

4. Kyou no Kira-Kun, the art is beautiful,so professional. Could be consider as angsty. Manga only

5. Ao Haru Ride, beautiful art as well. But kind of angsty. Manga only

6. Himitsu no Ai chan. Tomboy heroine. There's some smut (mildly mature contents.) Good, fun plot. Manga only.

3. Last game. The girl is strong and smart. School setting. The boy is sooooo head over heal for her. BUT it's not angsty at all. It's very funny and cute. Manga only

SHOUNEN:
Watch any of these if you haven't. Of course they are not as awesome as the mangas. But you know the thrill, shounen mangas are always lengthy:

1. Ao No Exorcist (25ish ep) awesome!
2. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, 64 ep (like supermangageek23 mentioned.) Best! best!
3. Magi
4. Detective Conan (15 movies, and 700 eps.) I'm a diehard fan of this series, but yeah it's lengthy and lots of fillers. (Kinda personal, not a lot of people like this series)

DRAMAS? I quit watching them (J or K dramas) a while ago. Too dramatic and unnecessarily depressing.
Gosh, I'm out of breath. But yeah, Maid-sama forever!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/08/22 23:01 By DN Silence.

Spyair Forever! MAKOHARU is my OTP! GINTAMA FOR LIFE!
LM Bluejay
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Manga Recommendations? 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 10
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is pretty awesome. Plus the animated series sticks close to the manga.

The protagonist of the story starts off at power level zero and steadily grows stronger as he learns various martial arts styles.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.