Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
So much paperwork!!!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: So much paperwork!!!
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
So much paperwork!!! 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 76
I never realized just how much paperwork went into getting into college. It's been pretty easy up until now, god, getting everything together isn't easy. So anyone else have these issues?

Logged Logged

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
KouseiJL
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:So much paperwork!!! 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 17
I didn't have a hard time with paperwork myself, but that was years ago. I did work in Admissions for 5 years, though. It's unbelievable the paperwork you have to do now. If it's any comfort... think of the torture you're putting the poor Admissions people through. They have to sort, file, log, review, and read every last page...sometimes multiple times. Somehow, I'm crazy enough to miss it!

If you want some help or have some questions, I'd be glad to help. Not every school is the same, but there are certain things that really don't change - and at least I could help you find the right people to ask!

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:So much paperwork!!! 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 76
Yeah, I know all about having to read through paperwork. I can't bring myself to feel bad for them. I have a lot more to fill out and there are some I'm not even sure about. Gotta go up and ask them about a few things. It's gotta wait till Monday though. It would have been good if they sent it to me before I went up there this morning but I didn't get it till about four at night.

Anyway, it's fun in it's own way. Wouldn't be so bad if I had saved up for college while I was in high school.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
KouseiJL
Pup
graphgraph
Sometimes I wish I could have posted the miserable language and writing skills online. Sometimes it was just terrible. But you are right... everyone has paperwork to deal with. ;p
I remember we used to purposefully send letters out on Thursdays so that the students would receive everything either Friday late or over the weekend so that they had to wait to call. Mondays were a bear because of it, but in some cases, it made sense. If you wanted a quick answer, you had to do a little research.

I've always thought the toughest part is deciding which school was right for you, followed by paying for it. Ultimately, it's well worth it. College did, and still does, have a million fond memories of the friends I've made, the colleagues I've gained, and the knowledge that you've completed that degree. Good luck with everything!!

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Depending on how it turns out, I already know what college I'm going to. I'm just going to have to worry on paying for it, and the endless paperwork that comes with paying for it. I'm doing a transfer degree so my first two tears are going to be filled with crazy amounts of paperwork, then I have to get accepted and find a way to pay for the last two. It's not that bad at the CC, about $4500 for a whole year. The college I'm looking at going into though, it closer to $30,000 a year. All that paperwork, I've already seen what kind of stuff I have to fill out for transfer...

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
KouseiJL
Pup
graphgraph
It's great that you know where you're going! ...and to a point how you're getting there! It sounds like you're doing it the smart way too; save a little money at the CC, then move onto your 4-yr. Just make sure you've got some good advisors. The tough part is ensuring that your credits will transfer correctly and fill in what you need for your Bachelor's program. (Easier said than done, I know... and usually where the mounds of paperwork come in...)
Is there an articulation agreement with the two schools or is it something you're doing on your own?

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
The program I'm in is set up by the state, I clear the basics for my Associates at the Community college and then move on to continue into a Bachelors. So long as I meet the requirements for graduation my credits will transfer. Once I finish this paperwork, I have to talk to an entrance adviser who will help me pick the classes after we've gone over career plans and such. For how small the number of people who actually graduate or transfer from the CC they have a really good support staff.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
KouseiJL
Pup
graphgraph
Sounds very similar to what I worked with. Here's the caveat: the credits will transfer, but the courses may not apply. Sometimes there are different courses need for the Associates than what are needed for the Bachelors. The courses will transfer, but only give you "generic" credit.
For example, you take Shakespearean Sonnets for an English credit, but your 4-year doesn't offer a similar course. You'll get generic English credit for it, but you may need to take another English course to fulfill a requirement for your Bachelors.
I don't want to sound negative because these programs are great! As long as you go in with your eyes open, and the Bachelors as your ultimate goal (and your roadmap to get there!) it'll really help getting through the first two years and smoothing the transition.
Since you've got the support, they should be able to make sure you're not taking courses that don't transfer into requirements. I don't always take graduation rates into consideration... so I can definitely believe they've got good staff. It depends on the school's population.

Sorry for the mini-rant. This was a huge flaw in the system we found in Admissions. The students always felt cheated because they weren't shown the difference between credits/courses, and they didn't know to look at these things. If I can help anyone avoid that disappointment, I'd gladly rant away!

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
My Bachelors is looking to be a Major in English and Literature. Since the goal is my teaching credentials, I have to clear American and European Lit along with a minimum of three credits in a foreign language. I only need basic math and science because I'm only looking at teaching Secondary to start, after I get my credentials I might go farther and get my masters but I'm not going to think on that just yet.

As I haven't been to the adviser yet, I'm not completely sure on what will transfer but I know for a fact that I have to have at least four credits in Literature and three in a foreign language for my bachelors. Obviously I'm going to have more in Literature considering my major. I've also got to round out my classes so it's totally focused because the Praxis, the test to get my credentials, tests more the breadth of my knowledge rather then my major.

It will all even out more once I get into it and am assigned my faculty adviser.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
KouseiJL
Pup
graphgraph
Sounds like you've got a good handle on it! I wish you luck as well. Just watch the pesky General Ed. requirements. ^^ They're easy... so they're easy to overlook.
I don't miss the Praxis... not one bit. ^^ I started my first Bachelors in Music Education, but I'm going back for Linguistics.

The paperwork is the "easy" part. You seem like you know what you're doing, so I'm sure it'll work out fine! Don't be afraid to ask if you have questions! Before you know it, you'll have your degree, and your teaching job. ^^

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
If there is one thing I can pride myself on, it's knowledge. I'm somewhat obsessed with knowing everything I possibly can. I spent three months before I even applied to the college reading everything I could. If I have a question I won't hesitate to ask. Back to school after six years and I'll be going to school for the rest of my life most likely. Hehehe.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
KouseiJL
Pup
graphgraph
Lol! Same here! I'm kind of addicted to school. Makes sense that I'd want to work in a college... I'm working for a university now, but on the back side. I can't wait to get back into the other side of things, but that will come with my crazy degree. I think it's why I decided to (eventually) be a professor. They get to work, but still be eternal students!

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
For me, I don't actually like being a student. However I hate stupidity. Since I'm obsessed with knowledge, and hate stupidity, teaching is a really good option for me. I've thought about moving past secondary teaching after a while, but that's still a while off for me. I actually have a friend who's a teacher in Greece, last I heard she was going to be completing her masters in a year or two. I think anyway, it was something like that.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
KouseiJL
Pup
graphgraph
It is definitely an honorable endeavor! Stupidity seems to be rampant these days, but if you can stop it early in primary/secondary school, you have a chance!

Oh to teach in Greece.. with warm sun, the Mediterranean.. Ok.. I know it's getting late now that I'm daydreaming of moving to warmer climates!

It has been good talking with you, and good luck with your applications!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2013/02/15 22:35 By KouseiJL.
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
It was good talking to you as well. Have fun with your wandering thoughts.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.