Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Homemade Website
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Homemade Website
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Homemade Website 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 25
I recently signed up for ByetHost for a temporary home for my site. So far they are easy to work with. You can even install scripts as you sign up if you don't want to go from scratch. Looks incredibly easy.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Homemade Website 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
I haven't done anything with webhosting for ages, my advice is read the Terms of Service, the User Policies, and the service details that they provide about what types of platforms/scripting codes that they support. Most will definitely support the basic stuff like microsoft, linux, and the scripting programs asp.net, javascript, and php but they can vary.

Plus you'll need to be aware of any of the hosting limits that they provide free and or for charge in various packages. It's been a while since I've checked out any potential webhosts, so their free-webhosting limits may have increased from 50 or sixty megabytes to a couple gigabytes now. I wouldn't know, been out of the loop but it will effect the overall size of your entire website if your have embedded images, a database structure, and everything else. Namely the more stuff you have in there the more storage space you'll need. Big websites notably have to pay for the extra hosting space.

Bare in mind the backup services too, if there are any provided for free webhosting, probably depends on the webhost. I remember ages ago that some webhosts would host your site but not provide a backup mechanism to recover the website if something went wrong, again, that may have changed for some I can't be certain.

Further more you should really check out what the webhost will and will not host, especially, if your posting fanfic, fanart, corporate stuff, copyrighted materials, and or adult content. I've seen websites get pulled down for being in breach of ToS rules, so read those very carefully, that and take a look through the FAQ sections of their help menus.

Beware the popups and advertising stints too, some free webhosts will plunk advertisements in your hosting space, especially, if its free.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Homemade Website 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 76
I'll have to check out bytehost. The only one I've looked at so far is the host I used for my high school final project. They don't look that bad, I'll have to read over their ToS because sadly a lot of my Fanfiction does contain adult material.

It used to be freewebs.com and now it's just webs.com. The problem with them is, if you sign up you have to wait seven days before you can upload any html documents or rename anything. I don't know just yet.

I'm gonna putter around and check out a few, hopefully I can find a decent one.

Thanks Momo, Pyreite.

EDIT: As for data limits... there aren't going to be any pictures. A lot of code yes, but nothing really in the way of graphics. I'm gonna have to reset a whole bunch of links though. Once I move from building it on my computer to a server.

Thanks to Momo, I've turned towards PHP to clear up the massive code wars that fought in my head when I needed to change something. Right now since I'm using Xammp to run a server for code testing on my computer all those localhost/ yadayada's are gonna change. At least it'll be easier then hand coding in pure HTML.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/09/17 19:49 By Knight of Disorder.

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.