Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
fantasy novels
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: fantasy novels
Red
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 6
Just want to talk about fantasy novels. I just read a lot of Mercedes Lackey books. While I will grant she not the greatest novelist the books are a good read. Anyways my love for fansty started with Narnia and also with the books by David Eddings. Now recently I started to read the Darkover novels. In general I prefer high fantasy novels.

I just wanted to know from dokuga what are some of your favorite fantasy novels and books you recommend. I also just wanted to discuss good novels.

Logged Logged

I claim Byakuya paper crane in the claim game.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
phishbon3s
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 31
I personally love the Dragon Riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey (RIP) and the Myth series by Robert Asprin (also RIP). Robert Asprin also writes the only military space comedy series I love (not a fan of military lit), the Phule's Company series (it's like Sgt. Bilko meets Galaxy Quest, kinda). I love the Dark-Hunters' series, the Undead (and Unwed) series, and I'm always up for a good werewolf story (Bitten is my fav).

Of course my absolute fav in my collection is The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

My hubby prefers the Thursday Next books by Jasper Forde.

Logged Logged

When he heard a sound which was bitter sound and a sweet sound all at once, which began like hello and ended like goodbye. ~ The Storyteller

“And then, Dave made an improvised megaphone by using a squirrel, some strings and a megaphone.”
- The Narrator from Dave the Barbarian

Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 38
I read more adult fantasy considering that is what I aspire to write in the future so my all time favorite series are the Anita Blake Series and the Meredith Gentry Series by Laurell K Hamilton!

Anita Blake follows the story of a necromancer and has all sorts of creatures of legend in the series. Dragons, gargoyles, vampires, lamia, were-creatures, etc.

Meredith Gentry follows a very fae story line considering she is faerie princess. It includes the fae, goblins, creatures from Irish myth, etc.

Both are so well written and have awesome plots! They're more on the side of rated MA due to sexual situations and scenes and gore. But I reread them all the time! :3

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 277
My faves are Yasmine Galenorn and her 'Otherworld' Series, Patricia Briggs and her 'Alpha and Omega' series, Eileen Wilks and her 'Lupi' series, and Karen Chance, with her 'Cassandra Palmer' and 'Dorina Basarab' series'... all excellent reads if you're into the supernatural. Which, of course, I am... or I kinda wouldn't have been in the Sess/Kag world as long as I have been, LOL!!

~~Wiccan~~
PS - Am at work and trying to ignore working *sigh*

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Caleesci
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 9
WiccanMethuselah wrote:

PS - Am at work and trying to ignore working *sigh*

Ditto Wiccan!

I would agree with Wiccan on Yasmine Galenorn, and I do love The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle I even love the movie. I just read a book called Powerborn which I believe is associated with Nene Thomas who does a lot of faerie related art. In my personal opinion, the concept behind it was really good, but the execution not quite as strong. It has a reoccurring theme of love at first sight which is not my favorite, but if you can overlook that it is a pretty interesting read.

Another series I got into was the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I read this a long time ago, but I remember enjoying it. I only recently remembered it because they apparently made a TV adaptation of it a few years ago and I saw an episode of it a few weeks ago.

Also, if your looking for more adult themed, I do personally like Sara Douglass, mainly the Axis trilogy/Wayfarer Redemption books and her Troy Games series.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/06/19 10:50 By CaleesciK.

I claimed the Shikon no Tama in the Dokuga Claim Game
Phantomlogic
Pup
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 4
Ohh, I am a Jim Butcher junkie, especially his Dresdan Files series. I don't think there is anything that could top The Last Unicorn, though!

Logged Logged
insomniac_amy
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 95
phishbon3s wrote:
I personally love the Dragon Riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey (RIP)

I gotta agree on the Anne McCaffrey. I also like the Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley and practically any book by Victoria Holt especially The Shivering Sands and On the Night of the Seventh Moon.

Another fave of mine is Rainbow in the Mist by Phyllis A. Whitney, sadly it's out of print and I've lost mine

Logged Logged

I claimed Shippo`s mushroom in the claim game.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun.
landofthekwt
Pup
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 8
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

Logged Logged
laenfante
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 11
insomniac_amy wrote

"I also like.....practically any book by Victoria Holt especially The Shivering Sands and On the Night of the Seventh Moon."

Soulmate!

Despite being classified as YA, Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness and Circle of Magic series are well worth reading. Her worlds are colorful and rich, and the characters that inhabit them are lively and filled with emotion.

And The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany is a must-read for any fantasy lover.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/06/19 21:05 By laenfante.
precioushime16
Pup
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 4
I'm currently reading the Dark-hunter/Dream-hunter/Were hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon and I absolutely love it!

I also love both Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter and Psy/Changeling series. Meljean Brook's the Iron Seas series and her Guardians. The Iron seas are steampunk which is awesome. I love the Guardians because it has not only angels but vampires,demons, Nosferatu, and others.

Logged Logged

I'm not cute or built to fit a fashion model's size.
It's in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal Woman
That's me.
--Maya Angelou
soulNchantress
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 3
I love the Exile series by Melanie Rawn. The first book is "The Ruins of Ambri" and is followed by "The Mageborn Traitor." There is a third book forthcoming, but we (there are A LOT of us) have been waiting for over 10 years already. You should look it up online to get more in depth info on it. The stories are so intertwined and there are so many hidden messages that it is mind boggling. They are such a good read.

Melanie Rawn also does the Dragon Prince series. They are also pretty good, but my fave is Exiles.

Patricia Briggs is a big fav of mine, too, Wiccan. I like the Alpha and Omega, but my fave in that world is the Mercy Thompson novels.

I've just now started on the Dark Hunter series. Just picked them up at the library today. I'm glad some others mentioned that they like them. It makes me look forward to opening them up.

Logged Logged

Red
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 6
I heard of a lot of theses titles and there all on my list of books to read. I was recently went to a charity used book sales and ended up with enough books for a year. But Then again that great cuase I ended up with titles I never heard of. But I know for sure The Last Unicorn is on my must read list.

Logged Logged

I claim Byakuya paper crane in the claim game.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 277
soulNchantress wrote:

Patricia Briggs is a big fav of mine, too, Wiccan. I like the Alpha and Omega, but my fave in that world is the Mercy Thompson novels.

How on EARTH could I forget Mercy Thompson?! I have them all and eagerly anticipate each new offering. Truly an engrossing series, methinks!

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

raindancer13
Pup
graphgraph
Re:fantasy novels 11 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
I love reading fantasy books. Don't really have a favorite author. But they are a good read to get out of reality for awhile. lol

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.