Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Adopting a dog..
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
  • Page:
  • << Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>
TOPIC: Adopting a dog..
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 23
is kind of like buying a car or adopting something else.

I'm really against buying from petshops, and often suggest adoption to anyone who is looking for a new companion but I understand that sometimes they cannot adopt so I personally help them search through breeders. Which lately, its really hard to find a good, reliable breeder.

Anyways! I posted on here a few months ago about a dog I was interested in adopting, a Shiba Inu named Kyoto. He is still up for adoption, but I have been waiting until my room was completely clean and re-modeled before adopting him.

Today he was in another city for an adoption day at Petsmart. Since I haven't seen him for a few months I figured I would go look at him again, because my birthday is coming up soon.

Well anyways, while there I turned in my application and was interviewed by the person there. I hate interviews and was so nervous for it.

But! after the interview I was informed of two things that are stopping me right now from adopting Kyoto. The first and most important is the other two dogs in the house(my dads and sisters) need to be spayed before they will allow me to adopt Kyoto.

The second thing is she needs to call my city and see what the limit for dogs is.

While I am kind of bummed that it will be two or more months until I can adopt Kyoto(that is, unless he is adopted by someone else) at the same time I feel a little better about this.

I can get a secure job in that time, so I will know that I will have the money for his medicine(which is 50-60 dollars a month) and I can prepare my room and the upstairs and hopefully get my yard fenced.

The only thing I'm kind of hesitant about was that my dad was really upset when the lady said he had to fix his dog. But I don't understand why, I mean I've been trying to tell him to get her fixed for the past four years(she is nine years old now) Because I doubt he would have bred her anyways, and aside from that she is a large mixed breed dog so it would have been hard to find homes for her puppies. But again, my dad is the type of person that won't listen to anyone unless they are a professional and he especially dislikes listening to women

Along with that my little sister said she doesn't want to get her puppy spayed. So I'm hoping that by time my dad get's his dog spayed that my sister will either change her mind or move out. If I had a job now I would just move out( I was only living with my parents for this last year because of family issues)

But I want to make sure I'm prepared on that and find a place that allows dogs/other pets.

Ugh. I dunno I kind of wish it was easier to adopt an animal, but at the same time I'm glad It's difficult cause that means that they are making sure the animals go to good homes. So if I'm not able to adopt Kyoto, at least I will know he is going to a good home!

Sorry for rambling, I just like talking to the people here about things like this

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 15
That sucks!

I have given up on the idea of adpoting an animal strictly for the fact that I was told the same thing concerning me not having Inu or Sesshy fixed, which really isn't going to happen because they are pure-bred and they are for breeding.

I hope that you can get the dog, or get a dog -hugs- hehe you can always have one of the pups from the next litter we breed lol.

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 29
I really fell in like with you when you made your first post about wanting to adopt Kyoto. Now, I think I might be in love.

You are an amazing person with a beautiful heart. I can't offer any advise about your father and sister, because frankly I'm a hard core spay and neuter supporter, but in all honesty you cant FORCE people to see reason.

As for pet restrictions, most states limit based on size of breed and living environment. Obviously you have one large breed, but Shibas are a mid sized breed. I'm pretty sure 3 dogs even if they were all large is fine. Now I can only speak for VA and TX but I've know lots of people who have adopted 3 or more large breeds to HOMES and have had no issues with the regulations. Every situation is different, obviously.

I wish you and Kyoto all the best of luck. Just know that no matter what happens is what is meant to be. If you end up with him then you REALLY earned him, and if not, then there is another dog out there who needs YOU more. Good luck hun!

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 78
It can be really hard to find a place to rent where they allow you to have a dog, also, it is hard to find a place that is good for a dog to live~ with enough room they can run and play safely. Sometimes, people just want a certain pet so badly, it is hard for them to wrap their mind around the difficulties in providing a good home for the pet. I know in Michigan, where so many people have lost their homes, many many pets have been turned over to shelters and rescue organizations because their owners, who love them very much, simply cannot find a rental that will allow pets. So the officials that are in charge of adopting out these pets are very careful not to put the pet right back into the same situation. It's sad for we humans, and for the pets! As for spaying and neutering, I disagree soooo strongly with your father and sister~ birth control is important for pets as well as humans! Bringing life into the world carries with it a whole lot of responsibilities, whether that life is human or canine or feline. And that part about your municipality having a limit on the number of pets in a household~ you could always use that as a convenient excuse for moving out on your own

Logged Logged
Daniella
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 22
Kudos to you for going the adoption route!! Both of my dogs are adopted rescues from shelters and I would never think about going to a pet shop or breeder for my dog again.

I think the strict-ness on adoption depends on how overcrowded the shelter is. We adopted our first dog, Harley from the shelter in San Antonio Texas when we lived there a few years ago. We honestly did nothing more than walk in the door, look around at the dogs and then we found her. When I picked her out of the cage I knew I wanted her to come home with us. We litteraly just filled out the form, paid the $50.00 for her to get spayed, vaccinated and microchipped and picked her up the next day. The only dogs that had a condition were the pit bull puppies that had a sign that said "home inspection required." The problem with the shelter in S.A when we lived there was that the shelter was just too small to acomodate the number of strays that they would get. As it was, they would only hold strays for three days before they were euthanized. Harley was on her last day when we found her and I'm glad we did. She was a sickly little 6 week old puppy that was found on the side of the road who just needed someone to give her a chance.

Our second dog, Duke came from a smaller shelter in the town next to us and the process was a little bit longer. They had the luxury of being a no-kill shelter so they were able to screen potential adoptive paretns better. We had to give referrences, vet records for our other dog and we had several meet and greet sessions with Duke before we could bring him home. We also had to bring Harley down a couple of times to make sure that both dogs would get along. It took about 3 weeks but we finally brought Duke home after he was neutered, vaccinated and microchipped.

I love it when shelters really take the time to screen potential families. It's sad when you hear about a dog who was adopted by a family and the dog ends up being abused, neglected or just returned to the shelter because the dog and the family weren't a good fit.

I do hope that you are able to adopt Kyoto and that your dad and sister agree to get their dogs fixed. It does make their lives much better when they are fixed and most dogs live happier, healthier lives. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and keep us posted on what happens!!!

Logged Logged

AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 23
Thank you all <3

Kyoto's adoption fee is kind of expensive but not as expensive as the puppies out here are. His adoption fee is One hundred and thirty five dollars, which since he is already neutered, caught up on his shots, dewormed etc. It really isn't that bad.

I helped my brother and his wife search for a puppy(She is allergic so they were searching for breeds like poodles,yorkies, dogs that don't shed or are for people with allergies) I told them to search shelters and my brother didn't think they would have any of those breeds. I was able to find some and the price was crazy but still less expensive then buying from a breeder. I think the yorkie was around five hundred and the poodle and Maltese were three hundred. But that included everything, their spaying/neutering, shots, deworming. Then my brother wanted a bulldog, and I couldn't find any puppies in shelters so I'm sad to say that they won't be adopting right now. However, I was able to find a good, reliable breeder who I researched for about a month and called them and asked them a bunch of questions.

I think when I move out I'm going to have to move to another city, so I will have to be working at a job for six months before I can move out and transfer to another store and still keep my job. I would just stay where I am at, but I'm hoping to find a town house or something of that sort(Apartment if necessary) However the apartments in my city that allow dogs are minimum. So I am sure that I will have to move to another city, which I'm fine with though it will kind of be a hassle.

I really like when shelters take time to place animals into homes, cause as two of you have mentioned sometimes they go to an abusive home or get placed in a home that will not be their life time home. I read a story a few months ago about this pitbull who was adopted to a nice normal family and walked back to the shelter a few months later covered in wounds and was practically covered in blood. It turns out the family that adopted the dog used her as a bait dog for fights. Luckily, one of the volunteers at the shelter fell in love with her and adopted her and she is now completely healed and happy.

Luckily for me, Kyoto is in a no kill shelter, so I know he has his time to find a home and family if I'm not able to adopt him(though he pretty much already stole my heart, so I'm sure if I'm not able to adopt him I will once again look at the older dogs and not a puppy, I'm completely smitten with him)

I support spaying and neutering animals too. There is actually a clinic nearby that helps people who cannot afford it on their own with cheaper prices. However like mentioned before my dad is set on his vet doing the spaying so, if I get a job soon I will help with the price for getting her fixed. My dad already said he wants to(because I have told him getting her spayed will help with her aggression)But he really just isn't motivated to do it.

Which is why I'm kind of glad that the lady I was talking to told my dad that putting off spaying her can up the chances of her getting cancer or something of that sort. So spaying her would help her health wise too.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/03 16:24 By PRVN.
Miss Anna
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 15
-huggles-

My parents adopt shelter dogs, which is a very good thing for people to do. A bunch of my pets and also now my daughter's pets are/have been shelter pets. I just hope that you get him or find what you are looking for!

Logged Logged

I am the Master of Italian Pastry in Dokugareers, my tool is the rolling pin of cannoli.

Miss Anna S has Claimed Hitomiko\'s Bells in the Dokuga Claim Game
SesshysRose
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 11
I have a shelter dog and cat.

Ronin or Fat Cat as he really thinks his name is (as does our son) was bought for me by my bf for mothers day/birthday/tonsillectomy present. While he came from the Humane Society- he had all his shots, was neutered, but when we took him in for his free check up he was VERY sick. Running 106 temp and everything including ear mites, fleas, he was a mess. They didn't test for feline leukemia, so it cost us 80$ we didn't have to make sure he was healthy...and that was without the tests. he's doing much better- but make sure Kyoto is healthy before you fall too much in love with him (which I think I speak too late)

Skipper came from a no kill shelter- and since big,black dogs are less likely to be adopted, he had been there a while...he was free with everything covered (which we didn't get with FatCat...who had a $75.00 adoption fee) and he is perfectly healthy and the most loving dog you could ask for.

Check out your options for adoption as well. petfinder.com is how I found Skipper. You type in your zip code and it'll show any pets in your area and link you to how to get them set up in their "Furever Home"

I wish you and Kyoto the best! as Moxy said...if things don't work out it's because there is a pet out there that needs you more!

Logged Logged

Banner made by the amazing r0o!!!
Dokugasona by JeniNeji
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
@SesshysRose-

Petfinder is actually how I found Kyoto I love the site and it's what I used when helping my brother too!

Since Kyoto is older in age, he has gotten more health care than the younger ones. He is completely healthy, aside from his eyes. He is blind in one eye and has limited vision in the other. The only thing he needs for that is medicine every morning and night. Luckily, he doesn't need to get surgery on it.(As mentioned in my first post, his medicine will cost about 50-60 dollars for a months supply)

He has gotten his dental and blood work done, along with being caught up on all his shots,tested heart worm negative and micro chipped.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/03 17:41 By PRVN.
Banana
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 3
I think some places are too strict. When I was looking for a sheltie I was talking to breed specific rescues. Everyone denied me simply because I didn't have a fence. Well I can't put one in due to community rules so I was out of luck. End up getting a shetie anyway (exactly what I was looking for) and we do fine without a fence lol

I'm starting my own rescue hopefully within a year and the only requirements I have (so far) are indoors only and not to declaw (cats). They'll be fixed before they go to their new homes. Frankly, with dogs I see no reason to alter them unless you're unable to keep them from breeding. The health benefits/risks are kinda 50/50. My dog actually has hypothyrodism which occurs more often in spayed females. *shrug* cats I feel should ALWAYS be s/n'd though haha

Oh in any case I hope it works out! I'm so glad you're adopting!

Logged Logged
Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 54
I'm probably the odd girl out but I'm completely against spaying and neutering. I only keep indoor pets and any time mine have given birth, I have taken care of the litters so it was never a problem. Truthfully I find the act to be like if my mother had had my tubes tied when I was a kid and never gave me the chance to have children.

That being said, when I adopted Sherlock, the SPCA informed me that I could not adopt him without him first being spade (sp). And while I was against this idea, I found out why. As it turns out, rabbits who aren't spayed or neutered have about an 80% chance to get certain cancers. Since I did not plan on breeding him and it is unlikely that I will have another rabbit around for him to decide to mate with, I felt the chance of a deserving animal getting a good home and staying healthy out weighted my personal opinion.

The point to all of this, is if you dad is some what the same as I am, try looking up information on the health risks to older dogs that aren't spayed or neutered. He may find that the dog being adopted and getting a good home is worth getting a dog, he doesn't plan to breed, spayed especially if it will protect his own dog's health.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Banana
Pup
graphgraph
Domestication changed the way cats/dogs breed though. Their wild cousins only going into heat twice a year. Cats and dogs can go into heat very often and reproduce quickly. Plus it can be hard for some owners to make sure their critter doesn't get outside to reproduce.

Besides that, I'm not sure the numbers on dogs, but cats only 1 kitten in every 4 born ever finds a forever home. 100% of ferals that enter shelters are killed and I think only 80% of all cats that enter the shelters leave alive. So for every offspring your animal has, that's taking a home a shelter pet could of had.

I'm all for responsible reputable breeders. Don't get me wrong lol

It's a really confusing, touchy subject honestly. With all the animals being killed daily (I think it's around 350 per hour) there's really no reason to bring MORE into this world unless you're trying to better the breed.

Logged Logged
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
As Khayos mentioned. I have no problem with good, licensed breeders who breed responsibly. ( A responsible breeder will only breed their dog once a year, or once every other year)

I just have an issue with people who do backyard breeding(for money), or just want to breed their dog because they are cute. They don't think about everything else that will happen afterwords. Puppies are adorable, but most people who get them only get them because of that fact. Without doing any research on the breed, or what they will look like when they get older. Which usually causes dogs to get thrown out when they stop being 'cute'.

It's really sad, and as the person at the shelter tried telling my dad and as Khayos mentioned every puppy or kitten that is sold from a backyard breeder is one dog/cat/kitten/puppy that will be euthanized in the pound and never given a chance at a life.

It's crazy when one looks at the numbers of animals being put down(Back in 1980 the average number of cats/dogs being killed a year was 17 million, now it's 5 million and while that is still a lot it has improved a lot), while I know most people see getting a dog/cat spayed/neutered as cruel. In a way it can save a life, if you really want to breed your dog, do the research, breed them once and then get them fixed.

Because there is a good chance not getting them spayed/neutered will leave them open to more diseases or cancers when they are older.

My little sister bought her puppy from a backyard breeder, something that really irritated me. Mainly because of the fact that the puppy was only 4 weeks old when my sister got her. She didn't have her teeth in/couldn't walk. I'm sure they only sold her that young so she would still be small and cute. Luckily, she hasn't gotten sick but that's rare that a puppy that young won't when separated from their mother.

But like I said I can understand why some people do not want to get their animals spayed/neutered but sometimes it really would be for the best as they can sometimes live longer and healthier lives.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to this and gave their opinions on adoption and spaying/neutering. I like seeing other people's view on these topics.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/03 19:27 By PRVN.
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Wow~ 17 million down to 5 million! I had actually wondered about that, but would never have dared to hope for such a vast improvement! Thanks for that fascinating and encouraging factoid!!! And maybe by spreading the word, we can help make the figure get even better...

Logged Logged
Banana
Pup
graphgraph
Yeah when you look at things the way the are now it's really overwhelming but compared to the way it was back in the day, we've made great strides!

A lot of shelters/rescues are talking about a "No Kill Nation". With improvements on how feral cats are viewed (which is still something that needs to be worked at), I think there's a real possibility of us seeing a No Kill nation in our life time.

Logged Logged
Sakuramaru
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 5
I don't understand why you must have the other 2 dogs spayed/neutered when Kyoto is already neutered...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for spaying and neutering your pets, but if the dogs aren't yours, and you have no control over getting them fixed, why is it a stipulation in the adoption?

Meh...I dunno...seems kinda weird...do you have to provide proof of them being fixed? If not, I'd just say they are fixed...it's not like they are going to get pregnant by Kyoto anyway...You can only do so much...

Good luck with getting him though! I love Shiba Inus, and I'm sure Kyoto would be a great addition to the family!

(P.S. - Thank you for being so thorough with his adoption...many people are too quick to jump into an adoption, and soon find out that they don't like the dog in the first place.)

Logged Logged

I've claimed Kouga's Pretty Blue Eyes in the Dokuga Claim Game!
I Agree
Whelp
graphgraph
As an advocate for pets adoptions, and for spaying and neutering, I feel like I should put my two cents in.

I worked three years in an animal hospital which took in strays. Granted I only worked in the kennel, but that also meant I spent more time with the animals than the techs or the doctors, which meant I had more time to fall in love with these animals before they were put down for no other reason than no one would take them, they were too aggressive, or they had an illness that the hospital thought too expensive or was communicative. I can tell you now, with absolute certainty, that those were the best, and yet worst, years of my short life so far, and mostly because of those said strays. I came home crying many times. Needless to say it's my life dream to open a no kill shelter.

I'm not going into any gorey details, and please don't ask me for them because I'm trying to forget, however I feel that for most pets, spaying and neutering (for those NOT being bred) is a must. Not only does it calm them, but it prevents a lot of later complications and cancers. I can't tell you how many of the dogs and cats who came in who had ovarian or testicular cancer. For those who are concerned with their 'wanting' to have pups or kittens... well those animals will eventually breed with their children. They aren't human, they don't have that moral code and they are instinctual. That instict is to survive, both as an individual and as a species.

And I can go on and on about overpopulation and the people who don't deserve their animals, so all I'll say about that is that there were some animals who I saw again and again after we adopted them out because the owners couldn't afford them, didn't want them anymore, or had a baby and the baby had allegies. Some even came back so often that the techs or the secretaries would adopt them, just so they could have a stable home. There are just too many animals out there, and not enough willing or able people to take care of them.

I myself have adopted dogs, though not in the most conventional of ways. In 2000, my family took a trip down to St. Louis (we live in Chicago), to get Skippy, a then 2 year old VERY aggressive Lhasa/Terrier mix. So aggressive he would have probably been put down as soon as he'd gotten to the shelter. He'd been abused the first year of his life, then locked up for the second before some neighbor got sick of the treatment he was being put through and took him, something for which I'm eternally grateful. Today, he is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever known.

PRVN, I think it's fantastic that you are so in love with a sheltered dog that you'd wait for MONTHS to get him. I very rarely saw that, and I always knew that animal would be loved the best and for beyond the rest of their lives. I know that, should you be able to adopt him, Kyoto will live in a wonderful home, and that honestly puts me at peace, because I know that you don't see shelter dogs as 'damaged' or 'bad' like most people do. You have my admiration for it and I hope all turns out well.

Logged Logged

Im never going to do that again until next week....

I iz the Master Agreer of Dokuga Island with my O.K. Stamp of Yes!
Priestess Skye
Darth Skye
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 696975
My thoughts on spaying and neutering. Responsible pet owners do so. Period. Even if you make all attempts to make sure your cat or dog isn't outside sexing it up with other animals, you can't guarantee that this will ever happen. Dogs and cats escape. Plain and simple.

Unless you plan on breedign the dog or cat, just spay or neuter. You also doing them a favour. animals that aren't spayed or neutered are more aggressive. They are also much more prone to cancers from the age of one, not just older in age. If you get a female, with every heat she goes into, she's that much more prone to cancers and dysplasia.

Logged Logged

I claimed Sesshoumaru\'s Mokomoko-sama at the Claiming Thread!
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 277
Spaying and neutering one's pets is a subject that I feel very strongly about.

I have both seen and dealt with the consequences of overpopulation among house pets - not mine, but others. When I lived with my parents, there were cats and dogs splattered on the roads all the time because they were allowed to run, breed indiscriminately, and live wild. When I lived in the city near them, I would smell the odor of the crematorium used by animal control when they had to euthanize and dispose of the unwanted animals.

I have only owned five animals that were pedigreed in any way, shape or form. Four of the six horses I've owned were registered. One of the five dogs I've owned was AKC registered. NONE of the seven cats I've owned was pedigreed. And ALL of the animals I've owned, with the exception of two of the horses, were spayed, neutered, or gelded. EVEN the pedigreed ones. Why? Because none of them were of the exceptional quality that should be used as breeding stock.

They were all wonderful pets. Even the horses. Beautiful, useful, but not breeding quality. And that, my friends, is the ONLY reason any dog, cat, or horse should be left intact (i.e. able to breed). There are far, far too many unwanted pets in this country - in my opinion, bringing more genetically inferior animals into the world is akin to saying you wouldn't mind living next to a crematorium and smelling what happens when the unwanted ones are disposed of.

I'm sorry but, like I said, I feel VERY strongly on this subject. I've seen far too many unwanted, cast away pets dumped in my neighborhood; far too many stock trailers on their way to Canada full of horses for slaughter; far too many careless pet owners that allow their animals to have litter after litter of unwanted animals; far too many house pets squashed on the roads. PLEASE be responsible and do not bring more ill-bred, possible genetically flawed animals into the world.

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

SesshysRose
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
I used to live in an apartment complex that when the people left, if they could not keep their pets where they were going they would let them run free...it was ridiculous. Come spring we had so many strays...most of them the friendliest things you could meet. One in particular came into our apartment at will...whenever he wanted.

It got so out of hand that me and a fellow tenant caught them all and made sure they got to the closest no kill shelter.

I agree...spay and neuter your pets...cats will actually breed "incestuously" for I think 3 generations...so even if they are siblings...make no mistake- you'll have kittens in no time

Logged Logged

Dokugasona by JeniNeji
Lady of Jupiter
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 29
I am all for adopting. I just adopted a german shephard-collie mix named Army. She is only a year and a half old and came from an abusive home. When I got her she had no idea how to play. I would give her a ball or a tug a rope and she would just look at and never go near it. Any time someone in the house would raise their voice or hand for any reason she would tuck her tail and crawl away. But she is a whole lot happier now. She plays constantly and is nothing but a BIG lap dog who likes nothing better than to be scratched all the time. If I know anyone who is looking for a pet I always send them to the humane sociaty. The animals there realy need to be given anothe chance at a happy life.

Meet Army

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/10/04 02:29 By ladyofjupiter.
Phoenix
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
Even thou I am a 'dog-person', living in an apartment, I really can't have a dog. No offense to small dog owner, but I like rather big dogs. Hopefully in a few years we'll have a house and then I can go to the shelter and find the dog I want.. That aside, at present we have 5 rescues(cats) in the house ranging from 17 year to the newest one at 9 months. The latest one is the reason I add to this post. About 5 days ago my friend Lyn's girls were playing outside at our complex when a car pulled up to the dumpster near them and threw a black male car into, saying to the girls 'I don't want it anymore.' and drove off. Now this little boy is extremely loving and playful, doesn't hiss or growl, does nip a bit in playing, but he is just 9 months old. My niece, who is staying with us till January took him. Friday he got 'clipped'(neuthered) tested and all his shots. Just like all of our others.

Personally I do not understand people who can do this. This cat, my niece named him Jack, is in excellent condition. Someone must have taken very good care of him. And then they just throw him away in the trash. I don't understand how some people can have a 'disposible pet' mind set. Not only should you get your pet 'fixed' if you don't wish for little ones, you should make sure you can take the responsibility for that pet for life. Our pets are our family. Our oldest is 17 and we know she hasn't much longer to live, but what she does have will be with us and where she is happy. We'll miss her greatly when she does pass, but we will also know that she lived a life happy and safe.

Ok I'm done rambling now, please return to you former program

Picture is of Jack the day we got him

Logged Logged
Aura
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Adopting a dog.. 13 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 10
I think it's good to adopt (our family did it sometimes when I was younger) but I also have to say that getting a dog from a good breeder is probably more preferable to me personally.

A side note: If you ever live in the central area of Australia I highly recommend against ever getting an adoption dog. We tried twice and both times the animals were incredibly sick. The first was a puppy we had to go to an emergancy vet to get her help with a intestinal bug the first weekend we owned her. The vet told us without it she probably would have died that weekend. The second had behavioral issues (urinating whenever we talked/gave her any attention) the kennel we adopted from tried to say both of those problems weren't pre-existing. If the local vets hadn't spoken on our behalf they were going to try to charge us with abusing the animals so they didn't have to take the blame thmselves.
Things are not nice here at all for the animals. They don't have indoor kennels, though they do have roof's the animals live in 100+ degree weather through the summer (though winters here are mild). I've sense reported a lot of the problems we saw but I doubt anything will really change here.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Army looks like a very happy girl! My dog Joe, who I adopted from a rescue operation that had set up for a day along side the road, is just over a year old now, is a very gentle girl, but she is very very loving and seems (to me) to take special joy in every little treat or toy, she loves to lay on the couch with her daddy and pick veggies in the garden with me. She loves it when I pick raspberries and feed them to her one by one. She was just a puppy when we got her, we were told that someone had thrown her and her sister out of a moving car, so who knows what they went through in their little lives. Doing things to protect her (do you have someone to protect?) and make her happy gives me a sense of accomplishment, aside from the normal love and joy a dog brings to a person's life. Because I've changed her life for the better. Not many people really get a chance to be a hero, but I've thought that changing anything for the better, one little thing at a time, can come close if we do it consistently. Kind of like the boy scout credo, to do a good deed every day. If a lot of people did that, even if it was just a friendly smile or holding a door open for someone, picking up a piece of litter, or something really big, like adopting a homeless pet, and giving it as happy and secure of a life as possible, just imagine what a great place the world would be...

Logged Logged
SesshysRose
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
I refuse to go back to the Humane Society...rather finding a small no kill shelter that is up to their ears in unwanted pets. Got my cat from Humane Society and they gave me a sick cat the cost a fortune. I think they are TRYING to do good, but without proper funding it's hard to give the pets all they need to get them healthy and keep them that way.

I went to a shelter to get my dog that was a no kill and 100% volunteer ran and they somehow found a way to test their animals for everything and ensure their good health...and my dog has yet to cost me anything other than food and basic needs...he'll need shots next year but thats far from worrying about.

Logged Logged

Dokugasona by JeniNeji
Go to top
  • Page:
  • << Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.