Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottom
TOPIC: xmas
Teana
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
xmas 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 10
Ok I'm warning everyone right now that this is somewhat a rant. That being said, Why do some Christians get mad about Christmas being called Xmas? The X in Xmas is actually the greek letter 'chi' which in early Christian history was used as a symbol for the religious movement even before the cross. So why do Christians now days think that it is offensive to Christ when it is them who first used this term? I was just wondering.
~Teana

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Phantomlogic
Pup
graphgraph
Re:xmas 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 4
I think the "Christians" who get upset over the usage of X in Xmas are the same ones who still sneer at Jewish people for being "Christ Killers". Some people find it disrespectful...they haven't taken the time to research why the X is used and what it stands for. Being a product of 13 years of Catholic schooling, I have heard many reasons for why the X is supposedly disrespectful. My favorite was a teacher telling us in 3rd or 4th grade that the X was X-ing out Christ in Christmas because so many heathens were uncomfortable with the holiday being Christian and wanted to make it seem more secular so that stores could sell more presents. Looking back, I wonder how any kids make it out of Catholic schooling without brainwashing!

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:xmas 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 29
Well I come from a very staunch Episcopalian family and married in to a very staunch Catholic family (balancing the holidays for my spouce and I are needless to say a madhouse) I'm sort of the black sheep being more agnostic than religious. Anyways, my family used the Xmas without issue, however my mother did explain this issue to me once. It seems for more strong religious types, cutting the CHRIST out of Christmas is making it less about the religious reasons we celebrate. I can appreciate this to a certain extent, as it seems "Christmas" in itself has become so commercial. (Not that it bothers ME any, but looking at it from a religious eye, I can understand the sentament)

I would wager to guess very few of those people know about the historical and symbolic significance of the "X" shortening - although personally, i dont believe that has anything to do with putting the "X in Christmas" so to speak. I think its just a lazymans shortscript - one I partake in ever holiday! lol

Even if they did know about its significance however, I doubt that would stop the nay sayers. Some people just like to have something to complain about, ya know? *shrugs*

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/10 15:34 By MoxyMikki.
ladybattousai
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Re:xmas 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: -666
There's an interesting article on Wikipedia about the origin of the term "Xmas"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

Foremost, Teana is absolutely correct about its origin. Centuries ago, the symbol "X" was synonymous with Christ. I believe all of the misplaced hullabaloo comes from the pronunciation of "Xmas" versus "Christmas". This being my opinion after doing some reading, Xmas was never intended to be pronounced phonetically in our language. Xmas should be said like Christmas, and not like "X"mas. I think that trend is what causes very religious people to be upset. It sounds as if others are making light of what is very important to them.

And I apologize if I step on anyone's toes with this last remark, but it just strikes me as though some of these religious people believe they need a cause. I just wish they would take a moment to educate themselves first.

Logged Logged

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
ladybattousai wrote:
And I apologize if I step on anyone's toes with this last remark, but it just strikes me as though some of these religious people believe they need a cause. I just wish they would take a moment to educate themselves first.

I couldn't agree with this last statement more. Although I would stretch it even further. Its not just religious extremists that I feel need further self education on what they preach, but any extremist. If you are so completely and 100% to one side of a fence on any given arguement, then I'd say you are less educated on the topic than someone who ADMITS to being on the fence. Afterall, admitting you dont know as much as much as you should, in many ways puts you above others who think they know it all, and wont hear what the other side has to say. Although, that sorta goes on a rant of its own, now doesn't it. Sorry, I ramble.

Logged Logged
Teana
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:xmas 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 10
I completely agree with both of you. I just had to say something, because my mother-in-law was the one to bring it up and my hubby really doesn't like it when I speak my mind to her.

Logged Logged
MoxyMikki
Beat Cop
graphgraph
Teana wrote:
I completely agree with both of you. I just had to say something, because my mother-in-law was the one to bring it up and my hubby really doesn't like it when I speak my mind to her.

gha! So the same story here too. My mother in law and I have very differing opinions about things, but both of us are decidedly Alpha females, so we butt heads (Dont get me wrong, I adore her too) and my hubs always begs me to just try and keep the peace. I'm like "you want me to back down?! NEVER!" lol

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/10 21:30 By MoxyMikki.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.