Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
cooking 'oops' moment?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: cooking 'oops' moment?
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
cooking 'oops' moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 23
For kicks and giggles

I have gotten into cooking recently because I am trying to eat healthier to get to a healthy weight and well...I won't get that by eating fast food!

So, I was wondering has anyone had a cooking 'oops' moment? Or I suppose it would be the most embarrassing moment/biggest mess up that comes with cooking.

I haven't had any recently, except making a sweet potato casserole and serving it as a main dish instead of a side dish like it was suppose too! It tasted good, but too sweet to be a main dish ^^;

Aside from that my biggest cooking 'whoops' was when I was 13 years old and spending the night at my friends house. Her mom was out and my friend and I wanted to make pancakes. We thought 'Ah, it'll be easy, pancakes are just eggs, flour and water.' Well apparently we were wrong.

Our pancakes looked like normal pancakes and they looked good. However they were dry and tasted like potatoes >.< Not even syrup could make them taste better. Both my friend and I decided to never make anything from full scratch again...or at least not pancakes

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/08 14:53 By PRVN.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:cooking whoops moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 34
Well i don't have a lot of stories, i love to cook but i tend to avoid flames and inedible things. However i have a story about my older sister.

She was cooking bacon, She was 16, and a grease fire started. Well she knew just what to do, she put the flames under water. And the flames shot up like really high. She burned the underside of the cupboards.

Now normal people know that baking soda puts out grease fires, well my sister didn't.

Logged Logged

I OWN SESSHOMARUS ARMOUR!! Nah nah nah nah nah nah!!

Master Pie Maker with my awesomely special Pie Crossbow

Ongoing Challenges:
Funny Edible Oneshot(not for YIMs!
I Didnt Know I Was Pregnant
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Kirai\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Neverending Title Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
elisa128
Pup
graphgraph
Re:cooking whoops moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
my biggest cooking oops was when I made my first meatloaf. I was 18 and I made a five pound meatloaf O_O. Needless to say I ended up with a burnt out side and raw inside after after four hours of cooking at 400 degrees and I forgot to use egg to hold it together my mother was not happy to say the least.

Logged Logged

I claim Hiten’s smirkCopy this code to your website to display this banner!

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” - Helen Keller
Re:cooking 'oops' moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 1
Oh gosh... Well a couple of years ago, I was making blueberry wojape (blueberries, sugar, water, flour... simple, right?) and instead of a cup of sugar I got a cup of salt. TT.TT Wasn't my fault though! A cousin decided it would be funny to switch the contents of my salt and sugar jars. It was so gross.

But I got my revenge - I brought her a bowl of it (it's used to dip fried bread in) and didn't tell her what happened. She got a nice big mouthful before I decided to explain.

Yep. Revenge is a very unpleasant mistress.

There was also the time that I was making cheesecake and forgot the whole cup of sour cream. It was a whoopsie!moment, but everyone liked it better without the sour cream, so I guess it doesn't really count.

Cute thread idea, by the way.

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The difference between a house and a home is like the difference between a man and a woman- embarrassing to explain, but it would be pretty unusual to get the two confused.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Perhaps if we saw what was ahead of us and glimpsed the follies, crimes, and misfortunes that would befall us later on, we would all stay in our mother\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s wombs, and then there would be nobody in the world but a great number of very fat, very irritated women.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If you happen to be allergic to something, it is usually best not to put that particular thing in your mouth, especially if that thing happens to be cats.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

-Lemony Snickett
Esus
Pup
graphgraph
Re:cooking 'oops' moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
While making blueberry muffins from scratch a couple months ago, I incorrectly mixed the ingredients and instead of the batter turning solid while it was in the oven, it simply turned into some thick, heated ooze that boiled over the pan and onto the bottom of the oven. It was frustrating to clean since it burned onto the bottom of the over as a hard glaze. I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong, I'm pretty sure I used the correct amount of ingredients, the only thing I can figure is that it was how I mixed them together. At the time I would mix all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and all the liquid ingredients into a smaller bowl, then I combine the two mixtures together. I think it messed with how the dry ingredients absorbed the oil and milk or something. Shrug.

Logged Logged
Tangerine Dream
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:cooking 'oops' moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 8
I've had many oops moments some of which are really bad, one of my worst however resulted in water burning. Literally. You know those metal tea kettles? Well I put it on the stove after filling it with water to make some tea for me and a friend. A hour or so later when the brother and mom come back into the house the kitchen is filled with smoke and I'm yelled out of the little nap I was taking (with said friend) and had a panic attack at all the smoke and what ended up being the red hot bottom of the kettle that looked a bit on fire . . . Yes that is one of my worst oopses and why I'm not allowed to cook anything with out three timers and a person to remind me what I did in the house.

Logged Logged

Banner made by the splendiferous Sugar0o
Velvet Sometimes
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:cooking 'oops' moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
My cooking 'oops' moment. Well, a good friend and I where up rather late at her house a few years back. For some reason that I cant quite remember, we had decided that we wanted to make Funnel cake.

The problem? We had nothing to measure with, nor did we know the difference between a table spoon and a teaspoon.

Needless to say, the end result was rather foul.

Logged Logged

WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:cooking 'oops' moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 277
My worst "Oops" moment came when my kids were in elementary school. Every year for Christmas, I would bake each child's teachers a loaf of banana nut bread as a thank you/Christmas present.

One year, I was rushing to get to school to pick the kids up and distribute loaves of yumminess when I still had four loaves that weren't quite done in the oven. As I left the house in a rush, I thought I'd turned the oven OFF, and left the loaves to finish baking while I was at the school. When we came home, though, all we could see when we opened the door was a small space between all the smoke and the floor.

Our dog was peering at us from the floor as we rushed to open all the windows and doors, and I shut the oven off (FINALLY) and removed the blackened loaves of what used to be nut bread from it. The cats had hidden in the basement and it wasn't until I got most of the house aired out that I remembered my daughter's parakeet, hanging in his cage - up near the ceiling. The poor creature was at the bottom of its cage, gasping its last, as I carefully carried it downstairs with me to prevent my daughter from seeing the horrible sight. I tried to give it "beak to mouth" by blowing gently into its gasping beak, but it was too late.

Needless to say, it is well-remembered in the annals of family history as the year that mom killed the kid's bird at Christmas. And, ever after, I ALWAYS double-check to make SURE that the oven is REALLY off!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

PhoenixBlade
Pup
graphgraph
Re:cooking 'oops' moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
Well, I suppose mine would be when I was working one day and during breaktime, I put my ramen in the microwave for five minutes (cause I like it not so watery and gooey) and went off to chat with my coworkers. Three minutes in, one of the coworkers told me something smelled like it was burning. I ran to check my noodles and realized that stupid me didn't put water in. Dumbest. Moment. Ever... Although it should be commonsense to put water into noodles before you microwave it, it was one of those days where I just blanked out... unfortunately, the smell of burnt noodles got out throughout the whole store and the back room smelled bad the rest of the day, even after I left. Oops...

Logged Logged
Sessylove219
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:cooking 'oops' moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 33
My first oops was when I was eight and was babysitting my sister (my grandparents lived next door) and decided to make microwave popcorn. I put it on for thirty minutes instead of three, and set the microwave on fire. The entire house was full of the most foul smelling smoke and smell and when I decided to take the bag out of the microwave with a set of tongs and throw it into the lake, I dropped it because it was still flaming and set part of the kitchen on fire too. That was quickly put out by the fire extinguisher, but I was not allowed to make popcorn in the microwave again until I was in high school.

A funny one my boyfriend did was trying to make pasties (my favorite, a thing any of you that aren't from Michigan probably have never heard of) as a surprise for me on my return from the hospital. He cooked the meat in a pressure cooker, and did not use any shortening or anything in the dough. The pasties were just crumbles...I was touched, but they really were the most ghastly things I have ever tried to eat.

Logged Logged

Sessylove219 claimed Sesshoumaru\'s fundoushi in the Claim game! Hands off!
AmaViarra
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:cooking 'oops' moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 23
Thank you to everyone has shared so far! very amusing reads

I totally did the popcorn thing before! Burnt popcorn smells terrible! Also, I didn't put it in for a really long time, but the reason why it burnt was because we had the low calorie snack bags(which are half the size of the regular ones) but, I put it into the microwave and because the box didn't say how long to put it in for, I put it for the regular time(3 mins) and went downstairs to do something. I smelt smoke, and went upstairs and noticed a lot of smoke was coming from the microwave. So, I opened the door quickly and put the bag underneath some water in the kitchen sink(thankfully, the microwave didn't catch on fire) But the popcorn was so charred, It kind of reminded me of a bee hive ha. Sadly, the brunt popcorn smell stayed in the house for a good couple of days. Even with the windows open

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/09/08 14:54 By PRVN.
ChaoticReverie
Pup
graphgraph
Re:cooking 'oops' moment? 13 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 5
Ohhh, I've had a few.

The most recent one would have to be when I was baking cupcakes for a friend's baby shower. I had been running myself absolutely ragged the few days beforehand making decorations and baking, and with two young kids I was thoroughly exhausted.

So, the morning of, I was just doing up the cupcakes and last minute stuff. I had finished baking them and was whipping up the butter-cream icing when I made my booboo. I had done this quite a few times before, but I was ridiculously tired and still half asleep as I was running the recipe through my head. So I got everything together and made up a big batch of icing.

When I was finally done I looked at it and went 'what the heck is wrong with this stuff?' I tasted it and it was grainy and not at all what it was supposed to be. It took me like a whole minute to realize that I had accidentally used white sugar as opposed to icing sugar. So I had to throw the whole darn batch out and do it again. *sigh*

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.