Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Read any good books?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Read any good books?
Lady of Jupiter
Whelp
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 29
Anything by Laurell K Hamilton and Christine Feehan. They are my all time favorites.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
FayeMegan
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 24
My favorite series is the Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlane Harris. I read the 1st book of the Black Dagger Brotherhood but haven't felt the need to continue reading the series.

I'm a big literature reader, I think I'm going to try to get more into Romance and some Mysteries too.

But I think it's safe to say that about 70% of what I read is non-fiction. Philosophy, history and physics. I practice Buddhism, so I am constantly studying. Buddhism is a great philosophy of which anyone can apply to their life no matter what your religion or culture. I recommend "The Buddha In Your Mirror" by Hochswender, Martin & Morino.

Faye

Logged Logged
Inkasha Taisho
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 7
I've read Frankenstein and Jane Eyre. Personally, they were my favorites of all time of the required summer reading list. Lord of the Flies scared me because the young men were so young and dementia had already run its course through the abandoned young savages. Tragic novel, in my opinion. I have also read Animal Farm and loved it. It was very disturbing look into the development of a totalitarian society. Twisted novel though. I've always wanted to read Phantom of the Opera. And the Scarlett Letter was a tough read for me at first because of the dated language but I enjoyed it in the end. For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway is pretty spectacular read as well. I'm currently reading Dracula for the first time (because a Friend of mine lent me the recently written "sequel", Renfield: A slave to Dracula by Barbara Hambly. It was really good but empty because I hadn't read dracula so I decided to go back and read the original. I read the Tao of Pooh once. It was very interesting look at how the life of Pooh and the life of a Buddhist monk were very similar in surprising ways. I also had the misfortune of reading Guns, Germs, and Steele!! I despised that novel!! It was the very bane of my existence, but maybe some of you could point out some of the light points of these novels?

Logged Logged

Lilium
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
I've just finished reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. It was a beautiful story. It made me happily sad, and it also had a twist of laughter. Some parts are slighty graphic, not so much so though. 15+ I would say? Great book. Wonderful read. I got it from the libabry and now ok going to go buy it. One of this books you want on your shelve. ^^

Logged Logged

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
Katrina
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 5
I been reading romance lately based in vampires or werewolves. But I do enjoy reading romance books back in Victorian era (1870-1880). There are some interesting books that caught my eye by the author Joan Johnison, and Lorraine Heath. It seems that one of their gotten good reviews so I might check that out later.

Lately I've been looking for werewolves romance book and the ones I did check out was by Terry spear, and Christine warren which both were ok.

Logged Logged
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 78
Katrina, you might want to check out the Darkyn novels by Lynn Viehl. Sort of a different twist on vampires, and many of the Darkyn are historical personages who have survived into the present times. I think they are really fun to read.

Logged Logged
JessiCeleste89
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 3
I been reading the dark-hunter novel series by sherrilyn kenyon. A guy at work got me hook to her books by having me first read one of her books called "Acheron". I'm currently reading it over.Its really good.

Logged Logged

~~~I claim Inu No Taisho\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\'s eyes~~~
Phoenix
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 2
I just got a copy of 'Last of the Herald Mages' by Mercedes Lackey. My friend lent all of the Valdermar series books of hers. Took me about a month to finish them all, loved them. Would love to met a 'hawkbrother' sometime.

Logged Logged
precioushime16
Pup
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 4
I love romance! At first it was all historical romance and I have gotten into paranormal romance also.
For historical romance I read anything by Lisa Kleypas especially her Wallflowers series.
Stephanie Laurens is also one of my favorites with all her Cynster family books.

Meljean Brook got me into paranormal romance with her Guardian series. I think you can start anywhere and catch up with the series because I started with Demon Moon, the fourth book and knew what was going on. Her books are about vampires, demons, and Guardians(not angels). They're also very graphic and steamy.

Lora Leigh's Breeds series is also really good. I started with like the 14th book because I didn't know it was a series but basicaly the Breeds are genetically created men and women whose DNA was mixed with animals. There are the Wolf breeds, Feline breeds, and Coyote. Because the Breeds is actually really old,the publisher is different so there aren't many in bookstores except for the new ones but they can be bought in e-book format.

All of these are steamy books!!

Logged Logged

I'm not cute or built to fit a fashion model's size.
It's in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal Woman
That's me.
--Maya Angelou
precioushime16
Pup
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
For more teen vamp novels I am reading:
The Blue Bloods' series by Melissa De la Cruz
Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
City of Bones series by
The House of the Night series by P.C and Kristin Cast

Logged Logged

I'm not cute or built to fit a fashion model's size.
It's in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal Woman
That's me.
--Maya Angelou
Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 34
JessiCeleste89 wrote:
I been reading the dark-hunter novel series by sherrilyn kenyon. A guy at work got me hook to her books by having me first read one of her books called "Acheron". I'm currently reading it over.Its really good.

HE started you off with that one!!! what a jerk! SOrry, Zi just find that series a lot beeter in sequence cuz they hint at acheron's past and everything, that was my fave book so far but he should have started with one of the others At least I think so. Not that i didn't like that one I did I just think it ruins it that you got to read that one first... sorry venting and being mean.

Logged Logged

I OWN SESSHOMARUS ARMOUR!! Nah nah nah nah nah nah!!

Master Pie Maker with my awesomely special Pie Crossbow

Ongoing Challenges:
Funny Edible Oneshot(not for YIMs!
I Didnt Know I Was Pregnant
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Kirai\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Neverending Title Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
JessiCeleste89
Whelp
graphgraph
Lol. Its okay. He gave me that book cause that the only book he told me about so I asked to read it. But he told me I need to read the books in order. But I didnt want to I wanted to read Acheron. But now that I read his book I try to make myself read the series in the right oreder now. Kinda hard when you already read one the main character book.

Logged Logged

~~~I claim Inu No Taisho\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\'s eyes~~~
Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
especially when its acheron who is by all accounts the most amazing guy to ever grace the pages of a book. i think of him every time i hear the song Savin' Me now ever since i first read that book.

Logged Logged

Ongoing Challenges:
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
JessiCeleste89
Whelp
graphgraph
I know I love that song even more!

Logged Logged

Tally Mark
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 18
Hmm..well, I recently read Dreamfever, which is the most recent book in Karen Marie Moning's Fever series (which MUST be read in order). It's incredibly intense, paranormal fantasy centering on fae myths in an urban setting. Loved it. The heroine starts the series as a ditz but goes through immense character growth and is now totally kickass.

Also recently read Blaze of Memory, part of Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series of paranormal romance. I like her writing style and characterizations, and the world she's created has surprising depth. Another series where it's best to start at the beginning though.

Logged Logged
Drianax
Pup
graphgraph
I would reccomend the Katherine Kurtz Deryni novels -- they are wonderful historical fantasy novels about a race of individuals who have magical abilities in both the 10th century and the 12th century, and theistruggles with the humands around them. Not doing justice to the complexity of the true summary of the books; but if interested, I reccomend beginning with "Camber of Culdi" although the author, herself, advocates reading the books in the order of publication. So therefore the first book to read would be "Deryni Rising."

If you like biograhies, "True Compass" by Sen. Edward Kennedy is an excellent choice -- one of the best I've ever read.

If you'd prefer the historical approach, "Caesar: Life of a Colosus" by Adrian Goldsworthy is a great read.

Logged Logged

"Understanding is a three-edged sword. There is your side, their side, and the truth." -- Kosh, Babylon 5
Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
I LOVE this series its called Immortals After Dark and is like everything supernatural focusing on valkeries, vampires, and werewolves mostly with some of the funniest content i have ever read and some of the best characters.
In order (Missing the first story and i can't remember what its called so whatever)
A Hunger Like No Other
No Rest For The Wicked
Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night
Dark Needs at Night's Edge
Dark Desires After Dusk
Kiss of a Demon King

Then there's the new one out in hardcover that i can't remember the name of But yeah amazing book all by the incredibly talented KRESLEY COLE

Logged Logged

Ongoing Challenges:
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
Kittylin
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 5
I was considered the book worm in most of my classes. I read the whole classic section of my high school library.

I was going to suggest Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte by many others before I see have beaton me too it. What actually attracted me to pick that book up is my names Charlotte too.

House Of Dreams. is actually a book I read a couple years ago by Pauline Gredge. It takes place in ancient egyptian times but incorporates passion and jealousy. When I was in the book store I couldn't help but keep coming back to this book to just hold it so of course I had to buy it. When I got home I couldn't put it down and ended up writing an essay on it for english class comparing it to Memoires of a Geisha. If you read it you'd see why. Thu's alitte evil though.

I also want to suggest a author. I had to write a really indepth essay for my grade 12 english class all year long and I really wanted to do a Japanese author because I like manga's so much but I'd never really read a novel written by some one from Japan.

I really had to search but I found Yasunari Kawabata who is the only japanese author to every win the nobel prize for liturature so far. Every sentense is like a haiku poem and he has this thing where he never finishes the story but just cuts off close to the end. I've only read three of his works by the names of The Old Capital, Snow Country, and a Thousand Cranes but I loved them.

The writers a little dark and crazy though.

Logged Logged
JessiCeleste89
Whelp
graphgraph
I actually tired to read Jane Eyre I only made it to the first chpt. But one good book I read was " And then there were none". I forgot the author name but it really good murder mystery book. I'm glad my high school had us read it as a summer reading. I miss those days.....

Logged Logged

Hopeless Romantic
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
I have been reading the Jennifer Lancaster "memoirs" the series begin with "Bitter is the new black, why you should never carry a prada bag to the unemployement office", Next is "Bright lights big a$$" then "Such a pretty fat" and last is "Pretty in plaid" they are hallarious books that she is writing about her life's ups and downs and the ever on going battle with weight ups and downs. Is a great read, it will keep you laughing.

Logged Logged
Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
JessiCeleste89 wrote:
I actually tired to read Jane Eyre I only made it to the first chpt. But one good book I read was " And then there were none". I forgot the author name but it really good murder mystery book. I'm glad my high school had us read it as a summer reading. I miss those days.....

That was written by Agatha Christie, I had to read that in grade nine English class. It was pretty good completely messed up but still...

Logged Logged

Ongoing Challenges:
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
Pendragon
Whelp
graphgraph
House of Nights novels are pretty good if your into the whole driveling angst of a teen vampite. Humerous and non-to-charitable.

The Mortal Insturments are fantastic with dagger-edged wit and cutthroat humor. Demons and slayers. Angels and Fate. Beware the incest. A riveting and mildly torturous real. Loved it.

Blue Bloods is another fantastic series that goes along with that monotonously and seemingly endless stream of vampire books. But don't glance over this so fast! It has a twist! These vampires are the reincarnations of fallen angels. Clever, huh? Remember Roanoke? The Lost Colony? Yeah, that was vampires. The fall of Rome? Vampires. The list goes on and on.

Logged Logged
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 47
I finally finished reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown!

I love his books, especially how he argues that religion and science do not have to be at odds with each other, but sometimes they are just difficult to get into. This one took some time, but once it got past the intro stuff, I didn't want to put it down. Although, Angels and Demons is still my favorite of the Robert Langdon series.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
Madison
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 29
I just finished re-reading Shogun by James Clavell for the fifth time or so, lol.

I must say, I'm totally in love with that book, it's one of my favorite. The first time I read it helped me pick up some japanese for the first time, lol. He's an amazing story-teller, and this book is more than worth reading. Although, I'm pretty sure everybody knows this book already.

Logged Logged

Asphy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Read any good books? 14 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
I work in a book store so I can afford to read a lot, as force of habit I’ll list my favorites into categories~

Romance:
Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton (Someone said in an earlier post that they’ll be making a movie out of this series, I really hope that’s truth cause I’ve been reading that rumor for years and nothing has happened yet L)
Fever (fae) and Highlanger series by Karen Marie Moning (oh my I dr00l so BAD for Jechico!)
Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlene Harris
The Gardella Vampire Chronicles by Colleen Gleason
Immortals After Dark series – by Kresley Cole (These are super funny)
BDB series by J R Ward
I also like Ann Rice's Claiming of Sleeping Beauty Trilogy (it's more erotica though)
I could keep going on and on.

Teen Fiction:
The Mortal Instruments series (I’m really glad I decided to take a chance on this series, I almost didn’t because of the Stephanie Meyer's quote in the cover)
And yes I read the Twilight saga…(After reading Breaking Dawn I threw the book across the room feeling so cheated)
House of Night series (the authors comments throughout the books bugs me though)

Fiction:
Millennium Trilogy- Girl with the Dragon Tattoo… (This is what I nicknamed “Smart Fiction”)
Elegance of the Hedgehog & Gourmet Rhapsody (Life changing fiction, by a French author I forgot his name. Such beautiful writing)
Jodi Picoult novels (if I’m in a melancholy type mood)
I’m currently trying to read all Michael Crichton novels

Sci-Fi/ Fantasy:
Lots of the paranormal romances bleed into this category like:
Kim Harrison
PC Cast
But truth to the genre is Robert Jordan I just read Wheel of Time

Kids Fiction:
Percy Jackson & the Olympians series
Artmis Fowl

Anyways I’m tired in thinking of books now…lol. Back to reading fanfics!

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.