Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Odd Writing Habits
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Odd Writing Habits
ElegantPaws
*~Daiyoukai~*
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 11
LOL!

Absolutely....and it works too lol!

EP:P

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
LC Rose
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 39
prettykirai08 wrote:
Another odd thing i do is when i'm writing a really good thing or just typing something like now, I pull the collar of my shirt over my nose. I don't know why but it's relaxing.

That is definitely an odd writing habit.

Logged Logged

~PPFT!~

Muses...cannot live with them, cannot kill them.
Lilium
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
I go with the flow. I mean a sentence or even paragraph might pop up in my head and i write it down. Then about a week or more later more ideas come to my head and I write it down. I try not to think about cause then I mess up my head... The thing is, I have a short memory so as soon as I think of it, I HAVE to write it down. One time I was in the shower and an idea came to me. I fully ran out the bathroom and into my room just to jot it down!!.I know I'm crazy!!!

Logged Logged

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
twiknham
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 0
My muse requires music to flow. However, it typically comes at me in the most inconvenient time (staff meeting, audit in another state, etc...). I keep a tape recorder in the car because I've become a hazard writing stuff down while I drive. Most of the time I'll write snippets down and then do the long haul when I'm in front of a computer. My hands can't type quick enough to keep up with my thoughts, no WAY could I pretend to write fast enough.

Quirky, I typically have to be in Shigure form (from FruitsBasket). Fuzzy blue bathrobe, cup of hot tea. Sleep becomes optional.

Logged Logged
ShadowTamer
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 1
I get my ideas when I'm meditating. The sad part is when an idea hits me I think "Remember it but keep meditating," so of course I have a tendency to forget it, but that is also a great help because I always remember really good ideas. It's like helping myself choose stories that won't make me sound like a moron.

Also when I actually do start a story, I need to keep one CD playing at a time. If I'm writing and listening to say Hybrid Theory, I remember that the next time I go to write, and can't make it sound good unless I turn Hybrid Theory on. (or whatever CD I'm listening to for that story)

Logged Logged

Never argue with an idiot: they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 24
When I write ( poetry, stories, drabbles, fanfictions, etc ), I must have music, even if I tend to tune it out after I get absorbed in writing because subconsciously, it's still there.

Second, I must be typing anything I write because my thoughts whirl by with so many ideas, the only way I can record them all before I lose the perfect wording ( in my opinion ) is to type it all down in a word document. Since I can type an average of 114 words a minute, it's really the best solution for me.

If I were stuck with just a notebook, I'm 100% positive anything I write would be utter failure.

I think that's it really, other than my bad habit of procrastinating when I don't have the inspiration to write. I'm a real perfectionist so I get incredibly discouraged when the words I type doesn't sound as good or doesn't portray what my thoughts are for the story. I'm a little OCD when it comes to writing. Haha.

Logged Logged

DeathsSilentApproach
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 10
My writing habits? I guess I have to be in a place where it is either noisy like at work or even school. Or in complete darkness across from my computer with nothing else going. Strange I know but that is just the way I work.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2008/11/21 03:45 By SilentDeath89.

Hi Everyone I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m SilentDeath89 or DeathsSilentApproach.
Kirai
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 34
I have another one! It's probably not weird or anything. When i write I have a tendency to yell at whatever I'm writing. Sometimes i even cry. I've been mumbling and cursing. I've had my dad walk in the room and ask me if everything is alright a few times. it kinda falls into this category.

Logged Logged

I OWN SESSHOMARUS ARMOUR!! Nah nah nah nah nah nah!!

Master Pie Maker with my awesomely special Pie Crossbow

Ongoing Challenges:
Funny Edible Oneshot(not for YIMs!
I Didnt Know I Was Pregnant
Christmas Rumours
Switching Genders
Dirty Secret Challenge
Kirai\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Neverending Title Challenge
Frozen
Past Love Challenge
Saholia
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 31
One thing that was just pointed out to me is that I bob my head when I'm writting fanfics! It might be the fact I like listening to my ipod while typing, or just habit...

Logged Logged
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
Personally, I just sit down in front of my laptop and start typing. I never have anything planned out, but it somehow all comes together.

It's almost frightening, actually. I never know what I'm typing until it's on my laptop and when I start, I almost never have any idea what I plan to write. It just...happens.

Logged Logged

“Life has no meaning the moment you lose the illusion of being eternal.”
Acadia
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
My best ideas come when i'm doing homework. I'm a history major so I read something funky and then try to incorporate that into the story.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2008/12/05 16:27 By Acadia.

The best part of waking up is Timmy's in your cup!!!
inali
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 58
I write down random scenes, dialogue, plot ideas, then I shuffle and reshuffle them until I get them into a position I like. I also have a deep affinity for writing drafts and outlines by hand.

Logged Logged

I like researching stuffs...
Laia Moon
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
When I write, I have to write in a notebook. There´s just something about a pen on paper that makes it easier to write for me. I usually edit things once on paper, and then once more when I type it up on the computer. Which ends up making wrting a veeery long process for me.

I also used to have a very wierd quirk: I could only write when using a Black Pilot V5 pen. I don´t have to do that anymore (thankfully), but I still only use Pilot brand pens to write...Hahaha.

I never listen to music while I write, though. Whenever I try, I end up doing one of two things: I listen to the music and ignore my writing or I concentrate on writing and ignore the music. XD I seem to be unable to do both things at the same time.

And finally: I write in English. Why is this wierd, you say? Everyone here writes in English! Well, I´m bilingual and English is my second language....I can write just fine in Spanish (I do tons of project work and other study/work-related things in Spanish), but for some reason all of my stories come out in English. It´s like Spanish is my "study" language and English is my "story" language.

Logged Logged
PoisonIvy
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
I prefer a dimly lit room, and perhaps some music on very softly in the background. I can't write around other people or distractions. I also have a tendency to write bits and pieces of a story in small blocks. I never sit and write from beginning to end, because that's never how my inspiration hits.

Inspiration usually strikes when I'm doing some mindless task, like washing my face before bed, when thoughts just kind of take off on their own. Or in the shower. When I was little I had a set of crayons designed specifically as bath toys so you could write on tile. I wish I still had them, because by the time I get back to my room after a shower the idea's gone.

Logged Logged
Kira Cross
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 9
wow lots of interesting ways, i just zone out and daydream, go for along walk in the woods, or i listen to my wonderfull hard rock or metal music or i go take a shower, for some reason running water really helps me thing (and i think it is even proven) but the only problem for this is i come up with some many ways i have to sort through it, and it is a pain because there are so many ways i can take a story.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2008/12/07 12:10 By Crimson_Angel92.
Fallendoll
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 15 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 6
I have to speak my character's dialogue out loud, then put it down to paper. Makes me sound like a crazy person (especially given the fact that I've done this in a park), but if I just write it or type it out, it never seems right. But if I say it out loud, and use the emotion that I want my characters to be feeling, the words just come more naturally, and they just seem better to me!

Logged Logged
GreyEcho
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 27
There's the thought process and the actual writing. When I actually start writing a story I make some quick notes in the beginning for the order, then proceed to write random sections. It's whatever sections my muse sends my way. XD

I usually get my inspiration while soaking in the shower, or listening to music on the long drive home. lol. I had one co-writen fic with a friend, where we always made sure to consume pixi sticks and Dr. Pepper before writing our madness. This tradition still carries on depending on the theme of the story.

Sometimes I have fics inspired by one line or scene I thought up. Like Pint Sized! came about from wanting Kagome to squeel about him in tiny dog form, and in another section having him shot him like a arrow. lol. Poor Sessh. I abuse him so.

Logged Logged

I claimed Kagura`s awesome flying feather! Everyone should have one.
CritterWhisperer
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 47
Like many of you, I cannot write on the computer before putting a story to paper first. Every time I sit in front of the computer to write, I just draw one big blank. For me, I think it has something to do with not being able to sit in a relaxed position while sitting in front of my desktop.

Usually, I write only at night. I can't seem to get myself to work on something until around midnight, then the next thing I know, it's 4 a.m. It sucks to be me when I have an early shift at work the next day.

Also, to get my mind working on a story, I like to do things like knitting or coloring (lately I've been working on a poster I got at a craft store) -- things that are repetitive and/or don't require much concentration so I can let my mind wander.

Logged Logged

I tagged . . . err, claimed Sesshoumaru's cute, elfin ears in the Dokuga Claiming Game
Rikayu
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 40
hm... one this that i have a tendency to do is to pull the collar of my shirt (usually if i'm wearing a t-shirt) over my nose. I have no idea why i do this, but it helps me relax lol. i'm most comfortable writing while laying down or sitting on the floor.

Logged Logged

-Banner by the lovely, Priestess Skye

I claimed Miroku`s Staff in the Claiming Game!
QueenofdaTigers
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
Um, a weird haibt I have when writing is that I will yell or talk to myself sometimes. I don't know why, I just do.

Logged Logged

~Ask Me If I Care~
DemonQueen17
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 66
Looking at anime wallpapers with topless male characters, especially when writing hentai fics. Another thing which I sometimes do is watch hentai anime. It can help.

Logged Logged

Everyone has their addictions. Mine are fanfiction, Sesshomaru and KARMA!!!!!!!!!!

Bakusaiga is mine via the Claiming Game thread.
SunsetMiko
Miko
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 38
I do all my planning and thinking while I should be sleeping. I'll be up for 3 hours or more after I go to bed, just thinking. I also get a lot of ideas when driving. I've been known to jot down little notes when I can, at a light or stop sign. I nearly killed myself trying to write down the name of a song I had to have because it inspired a oneshot.

It's been pointed out to me that I smirk a lot when writing. My husband, my mother, my kid, all will look and me and go, 'What's so funny? What's that look for?' and the like.

I usually have music on, either a specific song that goes with the mood of what I am writing or the entirety of a group's songs on loop. I can't listen to the counting crows without thinking about prophecy and syndrome. Wheatus makes me want to work on Syndrome right now. My latest band to loop is Hawthorne Heights. So far it hasn't made an association with a specific fic yet, thankfully. I don't want to have to switch again.

I write notes, outline chapters and such during waiting room sits, the kids soccer practice, whenever I'm away from my beloved laptop.

My writing time has suffered since the husband no longer works third shift. I used to write until 3 in the morning or worse and now he has to get up in the morning and wants to go to bed and I like writing in bed, so I go to sleep when he does instead. Damn that man. He's such a distraction.

I'm sure I could think of a million other little things, but hell, that was more than enough!

Logged Logged
elisa128
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 3
My odd habit is I write my ideas on the wall using recycled news paper and I have ideas here and there and they all some how in my twisted little mind like up but my boyfriend looks at me crazy every time he looks above my desk in the office and sees my lovely work of art.

Logged Logged

I claim Hiten’s smirkCopy this code to your website to display this banner!

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” - Helen Keller
Smittee
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Odd Writing Habits 14 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 31
My naughty muse knows how I am. ~.~ Very well. It torments me with a pie on a string. But, besides that point, here are my quirks...

1) Even though it's odd or strange, I have to bring something with me to write down ideas, if I'm int he bathroom for a while, whether it's right after I take a shower or what. Sometimes, I just find myself sitting in the bathroom just to get inspired. It's because when you are in the shower or the like, you just let your self go. You aren't stressing ad much as just relaxing. That's why I prefer baths over showers. Not only can you quickly dry your hands and write something, but it's more relaxing for me. (Most likely because the idea of hard water which is cold for most of your bath isn't a comforting thought.) Heck, I'm more relaxed brushing my teeth than I am sitting in my room reading sweet little poems and the like. XD

2)Sleeping. I have at least 2 dreams a night, with a max I believe of 10. ~.~ Most of the time, they aren't the nicest dreams; but, there are some nice or even long, adventurous ones in there. Sometimes my dreams actually say 'to be continued' at the end, and indeed do. XD It was one of those type of dream, where I got the basic plot line for 'Haunting Nights'. It was different characters, but most of it was exactly the same. *noddles* So, I have to keep something by my bed to put these things. And oddly enough, if I was to add to that story, I have to put all my mind on it before I go to bed. If I don't dream the next part, I can't write for it at all. That would be the downside.

3)Another quirk, Music. Yes, some works are inspired by music, and I must listen to that song/genre until it is finished. Though, my other works must be written in complete silence. Otherwise my mind wanders and starts imagining something new.

4) When writing, I can talk to people online, but any other type of human contact makes my writing skill go down the drain. It is easy to loose trains of thoughts when you have people yelling your name from another room, or constantly coming in and out of your room.

5) Night time. While I'm trying to stick to a more day schedule, the night is where I write best. Nice hot cup of tea, sitting in the most calm place in the house there is, letting my fingers do the work.

6) I can't write, unless I make myself write something. Anything. I have to prompt myself to want to write. >.< The only exception is when I'm slap happy, and I write some of the unusual works that I do pop out. I still wonder how they got the semi truck up all them stairs in that one fic....

I think that's enough quirks from me. >.> As you can see I'm long winded. It happens when I get interested ina subject. Diatribe Smittee, that should be one of my titles. lol

Logged Logged

www.dokuga.com/images/fbfiles/images/Smittebucket.jpg
I claimed Shippo\'s transforming powers in the claim game.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.