Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so.
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so.
phishbon3s
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 31
So this conversation stemmed from a night of me marathon watching IY. My husband decided to bring up an interesting quandary to me during one of the episodes.

He said, "So Inu-Yasha is a half demon, right?"
Me: "Yep. His dad was demon, his mom was human."
Him: “So if he got with a human and had a kid, it would be a quarter demon, right?”
Me: “Sounds logical. What would it be if he bred with a full demon?”
Him: “Umm. 3/4th demon, 1/4th human?”
Me: “What about a 1/4th demon? Let‘s see…. Change 1/2 to 2/4ths and subtract 1/4th….. I think. 1/8th demon and 7/8th human? Eek. My math sucks. Wait! If two half demons got together, would you just get another half demon. I mean 1/2 demon / 1/2 human + 1/2 demon / 1/2 human equals another 1/2 I think. Or a full human and a full demon?”
Him: “Damn it. I‘m so bad at conversions. Let‘s see….. One Demon equals 2 half demons …. Unless it’s a full moon in which case you….“

From here on out, it just spiraled downward into nonsense.

What’s your theory? Anyone else wanna crack at this?

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/03/28 15:52 By phishbon3s. Reason: spelling error

When he heard a sound which was bitter sound and a sweet sound all at once, which began like hello and ended like goodbye. ~ The Storyteller

“And then, Dave made an improvised megaphone by using a squirrel, some strings and a megaphone.”
- The Narrator from Dave the Barbarian

The administrator has disabled public write access.
DestinysTears
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 11

Uhh, let's see, I'm pretty bad at these math questions, I hate thinking hard like this on math... It takes so long...

Let's see, let's see...

Half and half = half breed still, right? Alright, so then a 1/4th demon with a full blood demon is a 5/8th demon? Maybe?

ARGH! Hehe, good question. Karma for bringing this up.

Logged Logged
phishbon3s
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 31
DestinysTears wrote:

Uhh, let's see, I'm pretty bad at these math questions, I hate thinking hard like this on math... It takes so long...

Let's see, let's see...

Half and half = half breed still, right? Alright, so then a 1/4th demon with a full blood demon is a 5/8th demon? Maybe?

ARGH! Hehe, good question. Karma for bringing this up.

5/8ths maybe.... I would have loved to ask my old Math teacher this. It would have driven her nuts.

And thank you for the karma!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/03/28 15:53 By phishbon3s.

When he heard a sound which was bitter sound and a sweet sound all at once, which began like hello and ended like goodbye. ~ The Storyteller

“And then, Dave made an improvised megaphone by using a squirrel, some strings and a megaphone.”

DestinysTears
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 11
You are very welcome!

Haha, my old math teacher probably would have given me a death threat. She was a very interesting one... Love her to death though, she's hilarious, haha.

Alright, I think I got it... Probably not, but why not offer some input?

If a demon and human have a kid, half of each's "heritage" goes into the offspring, possibly. But then again, maybe not... *Shrugs*

Logged Logged
Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 52
So if Inuyasha mated with a 25% demon and 75% human, and he was 50% demon and 50% human, then that would mean the offspring would be 75% demon and 125% human, out of 200% total. So, translating into fractions, the child would be 3/8ths demon and 5/8ths human.

I think I'm correct in my assessement.

Logged Logged

MontiK
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 42
Me and fractions... yea they dun get along xD after they're 1/4 demon I just digress into 'They're part demon' and that's the end of it

Logged Logged

[img]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u211/ShexyMonti/MontiBannercopy.jpg?t=1236322064[/img]

^~~~~ Teensie made me a pretty Banner!!!! :D

Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 14
This is hilarious! My husband and I once had a similar conversation. Here was his off-the-wall conclusion: "Technically, he's not a real man. He's a half-man. He's fifty percent man by volume; although contents may have settled during shipping"

Logged Logged
Raicheal
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
As far as genealogy work you can go with fractions, but the actual traits they have is more dependent on dominant and recessive genes right? So even if some was was a 5/8ths human 3/8ths demon if the dominant gene was the demon strand wouldn't that make them appear demon?

I don't want to get into how InuYasha changes between the two... I'll go with the default 'magic' answer ; )

Logged Logged
Possessed
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Genetically, a 1/2 demon mating with a 1/2 demon could produce a whole human, a whole demon or a 1/2 demon.

In the case of a 1/2 demon mating a 1/4 demon, the offspring could result in a being who is either 3/4 demon, 3/4 human, 1/2 demon or all human.

That would be assuming most 'normal' gene pairings applied, but in the world of fantasy, anything goes!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/03/29 01:59 By .
Sora-chan
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 20
LOL oh my sides hurt

this is a very interesting quandary we are in

i think that is someone (or people) actually figure this out, they should have Sesshoumaru contemplate it in a fic or drabble or something, and then wholly confuse himself.

that should be interesting to read lol

Logged Logged

*piku piku*- the sound of blinking
twiknham
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
I should preface that this is completely taking the topic off-subject from the true intent and you can bounce me for it.

Everyone forgot the codacils to the theory:

1. 1 demon and 1 human = 1/2 demon (hanyou) UNLESS... Human is miko at which point miko cancels out demon genes, if it doesn't outright purify any offspring thus making the couple sterile

2. 1 demon and 1 human = 1 hanyou UNLESS... Demon is a high powered demon at which point demon cancels out human making really good looking hanyou that is ALMOST demon (except for certain nights of the lunar cycle)

3. 1 high powered demon and 1 miko = sterile pairing UNLESS... Demon = Sesshoumaru and Miko = Kagome at which point anything can happen, including Miko becoming demon as a result of really wacked out pregnancy.

4. Man made into Demon (Naraku) & demon = WTF? But let's go with it... Evil demon.

5. Man made into Demon (Naraku) & Human = Human, unless Human = Kagome, then it is evil miko (hey, now I know how Kikyo came about)

6. Really cute Shiori and Really Cute Shippou = a certain redheaded singer who is really hyper and as fruity as a bat)

7. Hanyou and Clay Reincarnation of Miko = Dresden Chucky

Logged Logged
phishbon3s
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 31
Noacat wrote:
This is hilarious! My husband and I once had a similar conversation. Here was his off-the-wall conclusion: "Technically, he's not a real man. He's a half-man. He's fifty percent man by volume; although contents may have settled during shipping"

Noacat, I gives you the Karma. Read this whole thread to my husband and he cracked up when I read out loud your post. I love it!

MontiK, Raicheal, Possessed, sora and twiknham:
Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I loved the help.

twiknham: That is definatly an interesting and funny way to think about it. You should post your list in the Dokugaian Dictionary definition thread and title it The Offsping Theory. Just a thought

sora wrote:
i think that is someone (or people) actually figure this out, they should have Sesshoumaru contemplate it in a fic or drabble or something, and then wholly confuse himself.

sora: I would love to read a fic like that. I would imagine it would be a little like that scene in Tales From the House of the Moon by Resmiranda, where Sesshie is trying to remember that song about drinking sake in the middle of a meeting. Or a chalkboard covered with these math problems that looks a little like Jack Skellington's when he is trying to scientifically figure out Christmas.
I love it!!!!

Logged Logged

Noacat
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 14
Noacat, I gives you the Karma. Read this whole thread to my husband and he cracked up when I read out loud your post. I love it!

Thanks for the karma! I should send it over to the hubs (if he were on Dokuga)... it came from his crazy brain. But seriously, when he said that, I had the same reaction. It's so good, that I actually have it in my email signature line.

Logged Logged
Sora-chan
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 15 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 20
phishbon3s wrote:
Noacat wrote:

MontiK, Raicheal, Possessed, sora and twiknham:
Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I loved the help.

twiknham: That is definatly an interesting and funny way to think about it. You should post your list in the Dokugaian Dictionary definition thread and title it The Offsping Theory. Just a thought

sora wrote:

sora: I would love to read a fic like that. I would imagine it would be a little like that scene in Tales From the House of the Moon by Resmiranda, where Sesshie is trying to remember that song about drinking sake in the middle of a meeting. Or a chalkboard covered with these math problems that looks a little like Jack Skellington's when he is trying to scientifically figure out Christmas.
I love it!!!!

I love that scene, I'm gunna go reread that entire story now! lol

Logged Logged

*piku piku*- the sound of blinking
Janna
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Demon genetics math.... it hurts me so. 14 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
OUCH. My head hurts.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/06/20 05:29 By jedebey.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.