Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Goodbye?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Goodbye?
DaiyoukaiGeisha
*Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Goodbye? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 15
No problem. I'm glad you're up an running (uh, kinda, heh). Good luck with your computer woes.

Logged Logged

::::::::::::::::
I like to have a martini, Two at the very most.
After three Im under the table, after four Im under my host.
- Dorothy Parker
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Goodbye? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 26
That's another great suggestion, Miss Sweet, but the "System restore" didn't work when my mother tried it. She tried a number of times, but I guess the virus is programmed to prevent us from doing things that could harm it ... it's a smart one, unfortunately. It even kept redirecting us to other sites whenever we tried to look up ways to get rid of it. It just refuses to go quietly. *Sighs* But thank you for offering a step-by-step guide for reformatting the computer. *Smiles* That was really nice of you, but my cousin wasn't in when I called... I guess I'll have to try again later.-__-

And thank you for your suggestion, Miss Kagura. My mother tried that (yes, my mother again. She's better at knowing the ins and outs of computers than I am) but it had affected the new account also. So, we couldn't really go any further with that (the computer turns off a minute after getting switched on... stupid virus). I'm on Safe Mode with Networking right now, since even the guest account I was on has been affected. *Sighs* Oh well, at least I can access the internet through safe mode without too much bother.^_^

And thank you too, DaiyoukaiGeisha, for your suggestion. I think my brother tried that out and found that the virus had managed to spread its way through a number of files. The system files, I believe... but it still couldn't locate the file that was being used to revive the virus (I think that's what he said... I'm hopeless when it comes to remembering and understanding the technical stuff). So he tried some "RootRepeal" program that tracked down the nasty file that's causing so much trouble. We don't have the right thing to delete it, though. It's just too deep into our computer for a normal program to remove, I guess.>_>

Infinite Silence, I'm pretty sure my brother bought a Windows XP CD a while ago, but he's using that when he gets his own computer up and running. However, I think he will give in and let me use it if my cousin doesn't have the CD I need to reformat the computer...

And to Time on my hands, I found out that the virus is called "NTOSKRNL-HOOK". It's a nasty little bugger, but I think (hopefully) we'll be rid of it soon. Some guy on the McAfee website is currently working on creating a program to get rid of the virus (quite a few computers have been affected, it seems). He said it should be ready in about a week.^_^

FYI, my brother believes that the computer got this virus when he was browsing through a site called "Mangahut.com" (or was it Mangahut.net?), so maybe it would be best to stay away from that site for a while...

Thanks again, everyone!

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/29 00:34 By Honey-Bee.
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Thanks. I'll need all the luck - good luck (I feel the need to say it now. Bad luck just loves to pounce on me when I'm not being specific) that I can get.

Logged Logged
Lady_Mist
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Goodbye? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 17
ouch...sounds sick. I don't think I've ever run into a problem like this....

The McAfee people will probably fix it...They're a pretty good program to use.

Here's hoping your computer gets fixed:)

Logged Logged

Infinite Silence
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Goodbye? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 2
MiserablySweet wrote:
hmm... that's a toughie.

Without the cd, you can't just walk in the computer repair store and demand a reformat, that's basically software piracy.

so... your other alternatives are...

buy a windows xp (or whatever operating system you would like) cd from sears or bestbuy or even amazon.com. (cost around US 500- maybe less, i'm not too sure anymore)

buy a new computer that have genuine operating system. (rather buy a new computer with genuine! it's a better deal!)

or, ask the computer technician to help you repair it. I'm not sure what they'll do with it, so i can't tell you too much about that.

that's all i have basically, maybe the others have ideas/tricks that i don't know ^_^

I have the same issue as you honey-bee, I got a copy of XP from ebay it's home edition for 88 dollars and some cents. It should help you. Cause right now i'm having the same issue on my tower, I had to buy my friends laptop from her and that's how I access the internet, my tower is a stand alone right now. I hope this helps you somehow.

Logged Logged

Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Our cousin gave us this computer (he got a new one, so we got his old one - an XP), but he didn't give us anything else along with it. I'm not sure if he even still has the format CD for this... I'll have to try and get a hold of him tomorrow. If he doesn't have the CD... is there anything else I could try?

And as for how long I'll be gone for... I can't really say. All I know is, as long as I'm without a computer, that's how long I'll be gone. If I can't get this fixed, then it could be months (or even years) before I could buy a computer of my own... this really sucks.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/28 02:05 By Honey-Bee.
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Goodbye? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 13
well if your windows xp, or vista is a genuine computer,

i'm sure you have the format cd, so just reformat your computer!

if you don't know how to, i'll be glad to guide you through it!

reformatting the computer deletes ALL/EVERYTHING on your computer.

Basically, deleting everything, then restoring it to default (before downloading extra programs like maybe yahoo mess, mozilla, etc etc)

After reformat, you might want to try zonealarm or comodo as your firewall and anti virus to help you out! Both free, i recommend comodo more though =)

How long will you be gone??

Logged Logged
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Goodbye? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 26
I'm so sorry guys, but it's very likely that I'll be forced to leave this site within a very short time. The computer got a pretty nasty virus that will shut it down about a minute after starting up, so it's going to be impossible to even access the files on the computer, never mind going onto the internet... on the main account for now, anyway.

My brother tried deleting the virus, but there's a file hidden somewhere that keeps reviving it. We scanned the computer a hundred times over, but it keeps coming up with false information about the virus... The stupid thing has completely screwed up the main account on the computer, so I'm using a guest account right now. I don't know how long it will take for the virus to spread onto this account too - or if it will even do so - but I just thought that I should let you guys know, just in case you don't hear from me for a looooooong time...

...What kind of creep goes about destroying computers like this? It's just awful! We're struggling as it is, and if this computer is beyond repair... it's sad, but... a new computer would be out of the question. We just can't afford it.

Logged Logged
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Goodbye? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 51
In your position, here is what I would do:

1) Start a new admin account on your computer in Control Panel > User Accounts. Viruses that screw with the registry often strip permissions away from the user so they can't remove it, and this can side step this.

2) Restart your computer, login as an admin, and download a different antivirus program. I've had viruses that evaded one program only to be nipped easily by another. Most recently, I fixed a friend's computer that had a weird virus that Norton could not get rid of. Lavasoft Helix got it in one sweep. That program has a 30 day trial, so you can use it and dump it.(www.lavasoft.com/single/mirror_download.php?f=LAHT30ArxM)

3. go to start>run and type 'regedit'

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > Currentversion > Run, look at all the entries, and if one sticks out as being unfamiliar or boots from a weird place, delete it, and then repeat in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

4. Restart in safe mode and scan it.

Logged Logged

Special thanks to the Dokuga Reviewer's Guild for this signature!
You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

The few, the proud, the morally corrupt. - Agent Phisbon3s
Time on my hands
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Goodbye? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 3
You don't say exactly what your problem is. I got hit a while ago with Protection Center 2008. It changed my background to this blue screen with an anti virus ad telling me my computer was infected and a link to a website selling the cure.

It disabled my task manager. It erased all of my restore points. I couldn't get rid of it. If I managed to isolate any of the programs (like the default wallpaper) and delete them, they came right back. I kept getting pop ups demanding that I buy their anti virus program to rid my computer of this virus. I couldn't navigate to any website without it crashing within a minute or two, sending me back to the insistent web page wanting me to cough up money to purchase protection.

I got on my husband's computer and found numerous sites addressing this virus. Apparently it was pretty nasty and widespread. There were some very complicated (for me) instructions to go through DOS to get rid of it. But I did find a free site that gave me a program that fixed the problem and I still update it and run scans regularly. I have been problem free ever since. It is Malwarebytes.org. They also have a more advanced program that costs money, but the free version took care of my problem.

This site is offered on C-Net also. You can go there and check out the description and the user ratings for this program. Oh, and as an afterthought, I was running Norton Corporate version at the time. It didn't catch it or get rid of it. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Logged Logged
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
no problem honey-bee!!

Oh, i forgot!!! I hope you read this before you log off!

You can try small things like, "System restore"

turn on computer => safe mode => system restore from accessories, and choose a restore point.

Sometimes we do things by accident without knowing, and probably corrupted the system, restoring it back to a certain date might help, depending on the situation. Your files and programs will NOT be erased with System restore.

or another tip, try just working in safe mode with networking.

Start up computer => press f8 BEFORE the "Windows XP loading screen" => use up and down arrow key to toggle between, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt.

choose safe mode with networking. Safe mode with networking is hmm... everything you have that is scrunched up into a smaller viewing screen, i guess it was 800 x 700 px. With networking, you can access internet and all your files and whatnot, and you can use system restore while on Safe Mode.

Have fun trying to fix your computer, i know i had my fair share in the past year.

I hope your cousin have that cd! Then i can write you a step by step guide to reformatting your computer!

Yay!

I'm not a computer tech, i learn from my experiences, so computer techs... don't kill me if i'm wrong about something!

Logged Logged
DaiyoukaiGeisha
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Goodbye? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 15
Oh you're probably offline now...but just in case you get back on.

As opposed to reformatting you can also try this:

1. Boot in XP in Safe Mode
2. Run the virus scanner (I run multiple scanners of various types actually. What one scanner doesn't catch another one often does.)
3. Reboot and go into Safe Mode and run the scans again (yeah, again)
4. Reboot and go into XP normally and see if the issue still occurs.

Also, viruses of this type can hide in the registry as well. So, make sure your virus scanner is scanning the registry (some commercial scanners don't do a deep scan, including the reg, by default).

Logged Logged

::::::::::::::::
I like to have a martini, Two at the very most.
After three Im under the table, after four Im under my host.
- Dorothy Parker
not-active
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Goodbye? 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 16
That sucks

I had something similar happen, and I had to order restore disks.

Logged Logged
Honey-Bee
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
The computer restarted itself on its own and it's probably going to do it again, so I better make this quick. *Hugs* Thank you, Miss Sweet. I'm very grateful that you took the time to try and help me out. I'm going to have to get off the computer now. My mum wants to try and look for ways to destroy this problem. We'll certainly be getting in contact with my cousin tomorrow (it's too late to phone him tonight), and if he does have the CD, we'll try and do as you said to do. Goodnight, Miss Sweet. I hope to see you and everyone tomorrow.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2009/05/28 22:47 By Honey-Bee.
MiserablySweet
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
hmm... that's a toughie.

Without the cd, you can't just walk in the computer repair store and demand a reformat, that's basically software piracy.

so... your other alternatives are...

buy a windows xp (or whatever operating system you would like) cd from sears or bestbuy or even amazon.com. (cost around US 500- maybe less, i'm not too sure anymore)

buy a new computer that have genuine operating system. (rather buy a new computer with genuine! it's a better deal!)

or, ask the computer technician to help you repair it. I'm not sure what they'll do with it, so i can't tell you too much about that.

that's all i have basically, maybe the others have ideas/tricks that i don't know ^_^

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.