Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
FFNet vs AO3
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: FFNet vs AO3
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
Well,

I've been thinking about relocating all of my fics to one archive. Being AO3. FFNet is fine for the most part, being bigger, but when you get reviews like 'the sess/kag pairing is disgusting'. Yes, I did get an anonymous review of that caliber. And this was for a piece of fiction that is clearly marked AU and Sess x Kag as the primary pairing.

I deleted it since FFNet has the anon review moderation thing.

I'm not fond of what happens on FFNet with the flames and the trolling too.

Has anyone here chosen to skip over to AO3 exclusively?

I'm considering it myself since the FFNet moderators don't do anything.

Atleast on AO3 they try.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/08/17 06:00 By Pyre.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Emiko
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 59
I visit AO3 often and I do notice some authors who have decided to post there exclusively within the S/K realm. I will admit that I do like the site's option of pdf downloads for stories, should the author allow it, but I have no experience as an author posting on their site.

In regards to the other issue, I'm sorry you are getting flamed, especially in such an idiotic way. Some people think that anonymity gives them the right to be jerks and I do agree that FFN is slow (to none) about moderating such behavior, which is why many authors I know have also decided to pull the plug there. But please don't give up on us! Sometimes the jerks sneak past our defenses, but we are always quick to rally behind our authors with support.

But wait, about that anon flamer's comments, what's that person's problem anyway??? EVERYONE knows that Sess/Kag is the ultimate ship!! I mean, to my knowledge there are very few non-canon ships that have singly devoted websites and all. We rule!! Muahahahaha!! Okay, okay, I'll dial it back down. It's 3 am here in Hawaii and I'm drunk off Pepsi. Sorry everyone, the disclaimer is, if you wanna ship it, if you love to ship it, ship it. We won't judge. You just can't post it here unless it's S/K.

Hope everything sorts itself out, Pyre!

<3 L

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 277
One problem that I've heard from more than one author is that of plagiarism. I understand that it is nearly impossible to get AO3 to take down a plagiarized story, although that may have changed since the last time I heard someone talk about it. I'd check around with a few other authors and see what they know before making the switch. Yeah, I know ff.net isn't too great about it either, but they DO - eventually - take down plagiarized stuff.

~~me~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

ScarlettLioness
Pup
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 2
I agree that since FFN is bigger that I tend to post their first, then I post on Ao3 I haven't had any bad experience except for the occasional oh you spelled something wrong , hurry update soon message.

Though FFN does still carries the wounds of people who have bullied others to the point they deleted their works and left.
Ao3 I feel has the clear slate to it and I am not sure too many choose to go over and choose to read fanfics their compared to FFN mega structure right this moment. That can change quickly easily we just have to wait and see.

Logged Logged

Sessakag
Pup
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 4
So far I'm enjoying my time on AO3. I've debated taking my work off of FF.net because of the rating restrictions. It's irritating to have to edit my more mature chapters in order to avoid deletion, not only that, I feel like it stifles creativity when you have to remove a huge chunk from a chapter. Sometimes there's important information or subtle context in the mature bits that is lost. So far I haven't had any issues with any of the readers or staff on the site. It seems pretty chill and relaxed, really easy to converse with others.

Logged Logged

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.
Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom,"

~Malcolm X

"Cuz I Slay"

~Queen Bee
FantomuAiShi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 9
So far I'm liking FFN more so than A03 mainly because of the interfaces. FFN at least felt cleaner and actually do have dark and font type/sizes options for the reading materials. A03...not so much. If you want white fonts on black background, you'd have to figure out how to get the skin you needed. It's a bit of pain, especially since my eyes are lousy.

Not only that there are readers who prefers staying on the respective sites (I'd garner that FFN still have the bigger audience but I digress).

A03 is also not great for crossovers, especially InuYasha ones. My views easily get 10x+ the amount I get on FFN than from A03. Course, most of readers here on Dokuga don't generally go for that, from my understanding. -shrugs- My point is, it's really depends on how active a fandom is in that particular site as well.

However, A03 does have a better filtering system...sans how cumbersome it is to use. It got some learning curves for me, while I never recalled having to figuring out how to use FFN's. Plus, the tags are very much free-for-all, so people can put in whatever they want, which can get pretty...crazy, to say at least.

I'd say that A03 is big on not honoring published authors' wishes, but recently, one prime example I was going to use is Anne Rice, but she seemed to become lax regarding having fanfictions written of her works recently. Still, there's bandfics, real life fics, actors fics, etc., so their rules are maybe -too- relaxed potentially leaving them at risk for lawsuits. So, that is something to keep in mind.

I do use both FFN and A03 though, I just happened to like FFN more because it's more comfortable for me to use (and I'm not real huge on graphic scenes anyway so -shrugs-). I can't see why you couldn't post on all sites, as you'd get a bigger audience that way, but it's really up to you.

Everyone else have pretty good points too, in regards of reporting stories and whatnot. This is all my .02 cent though.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/08/18 21:59 By FantomuAiShi.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
Heya,

Thanks everyone.

It's good to get more perspectives on FFNet and AO3, especially in terms of posting there. I do like both sites, although FFNet has it's troubles. I do find that AO3 is easier to post in, but does have a smaller audience. The tagging system is OK if the story tags make sense. I've seen dozens of times where a curse word is a tag. It's funny and weird and hard to search for stuff in AO3 alot of the times too. Nothing is uniform or standard on the site.

I'll continue to post on both sites for now, although I can see myself migrating everything to AO3 eventually.

FFNet is good, but there is alot of trolling, flaming, and everything which I wish the mods would crack down on. Too many flamers proudly extol their 'flames' and 'flamees' on their profiles.

It's perturbing proof the mods don't take heed of the various reports of such behaviour on their own website.

Terrible.

Thanks for the advice.

I appreciate it.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Siera Serenity Star
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 64
AO3? Is that another fanfict site we can post our stories on? is it any good? I've been with mediaminer.org and FF.net but mediaminer has officially fallen down a LOT and with all the problems their system has I no longer like to use them. FF.net at least has a pretty good system and is my second favorite to use under Dokuga.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 57
AO3 is Archive of Our Own another fanfiction archive like FFNet. However you need an invite to join it either by an AO3 member or by going through the auto-invite cue which can take a couple days to weeks to months for approval.

It also uses a tagging system in place of what we use on Dokuga.

It doesn't have an onboard PMing system either, although you can post comments to stories, add favourites, and so forth.

It's also still in beta, even if everything works.

It's OK as a site, but has a smaller following than FFNet, although you can post MA stories quite easily too.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Sessakag
Pup
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 4
It's really nice in my opinion. Once they work out all the kinks I'm hoping it will replace ff.net.

Logged Logged

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.
Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.
You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom,"

~Malcolm X

"Cuz I Slay"

~Queen Bee
Beautifully Wicked
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 20
I really love AO3. It's super simple to use and I like the layout as well.

Logged Logged

Wicked knows all... watch her bounce

I claimed Jakotsu\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Sword in the Claim GAME!
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years ago Karma: 57
Well after a flame on a crossover fic I'm writing. I'm washing my hands of FFNet. I will leave my old fics up, but I'm not going to post any new material there. So I'm moving house and posting to AO3 exclusively from now on.

So if you're wondering why you don't see any new stuff for SessKag from me there. It's because I'm on AO3 only.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2017/03/04 04:25 By Pyre.
Serena530
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years ago Karma: 171
Every time I go to AO3 to see if I should post my stories there I'm reminded why I haven't done it yet. The layout is a bit bold for me and the filtering is a bit much. Even when I use the filter I still get a lot of things I didn't want. Maybe I should just start with a profile and adding favorites before posting. I've done that for another site like this one except it's a Harry Potter/Ginny Weasley site.

Anyway, I have no problem reading things on there if I know the story title or authors name. Pyreite is your screen name the same over there as it is here?

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years ago Karma: 57
Serena530 wrote:
Every time I go to AO3 to see if I should post my stories there I'm reminded why I haven't done it yet. The layout is a bit bold for me and the filtering is a bit much. Even when I use the filter I still get a lot of things I didn't want. Maybe I should just start with a profile and adding favorites before posting. I've done that for another site like this one except it's a Harry Potter/Ginny Weasley site.

Anyway, I have no problem reading things on there if I know the story title or authors name. Pyreite is your screen name the same over there as it is here?

Yup its the same. My page is here for A03: archiveofourown.org/users/Pyreite/pseuds/Pyreite

And nods, AO3 is weird when compared to FFNet in terms of layout. It takes some getting used too. And the filtering is a nightmare. I think they were planning to redo it, but I haven't see any major changes to illustrate that as yet, just something about a Ruby programmer doing stuff last year I think.

Anyway, I haven't posted alot of my old Sess/Kag, and Inuyasha stuff up there. Since FFNet was my main site for that. I probably won't transfer my older stuff across. AO3 is mainly for my non-Inu fandom stuff. It's just that everything I write will be there from now on, including any new Inu-stuff. Less hassle in updating multiple sites. And I tend to do that faster with AO3 anyway. Since it gets my raw unedited stuff posted first, and then an update with the edited versions, which are usually longer.

Cheers

~ Pyre

P.S: Do you have a profile on AO3? You can go auto-invite but it might take ages to get through the processing queue. When they first set up, mine took 3 months to get approved. PM me if you want a user-invite. I've never done it before, so I'd be interesting to try. I don't mind either, if you want to join AO3 to get a profile up.

Logged Logged
Serena530
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years ago Karma: 171
Hmm..I'm already updating on multiple sites. Three for my Inuyasha stories and two for everything else. Posting on AO3 would make that go up to four and three.
Anyway, I've sent you a PM and I'll add you to my favorites over there, when I'm accepted, if they have that option.

Logged Logged
mythicamagic
Pup
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 7 Years ago Karma: 21
I've posted stories on both Ao3 and Fanfiction.Net and it's strange how two sites can feel so different from each other. Ao3 is just super chilled, and in my experience you get less comments on there than FF.Net, but when some FF.Net reviewers are just saying things like - 'When's the next chapter?' it makes you wonder which one you'd rather have? The site with a smaller audience, but who you get silent support from via kudos, or the larger one who may or may not give you encouraging words? I enjoy both personally *shrugs*

On a side note, can someone tell me what WattPad is? Is it a good site? I don't really know much about it.

Logged Logged
Oki
Pup
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 6 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 2
-Inserts self into conversation-

I agree, although AO3 is pretty weird to navigate to me because of the fact I've been so use to FFN.Net. I've never actually encountered flames except for one because I kept the reader is suspense or whatever- sorta forgot and they threatened to drop my story .

Besides that, Wattpad can be very...annoying and I'm putting it mildly. Basically a lot of people use it to write original content while they still have a fanfiction side, it is mostly breeding ground for 1D fans to make (insert 1D character here) X Reader stories that can be borderline creepy and cringe worthy. A lot of the good fanfics are overlooked and you will get next to no traffic unless you write about a popular pairing, or make some cringy teen girl romance about her and some celebrity.

I've found a few decent stories but I've never actually stuck with one all the way through because of the sharp left turns some stories take that just turns me off from it all the way.

That's my take on it from what I've seen, but you'll never know until you enter the jungle.

Logged Logged

Beautifully Wicked
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 6 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 20
I really love AO3. I like how easy it is to navigate, I've never been a huge fan of ff.net just because it's ridiculous to navigate through. Especially when they update the site. IMO AO3 and Dokuga are 10xs easier than ff.net.

Logged Logged

I claimed Jakotsu\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Sword in the Claim GAME!
Oki
Pup
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 6 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 2
I hate when FFN updates, the whole site goes down and I'm left facing reality and actually have to talk to people to pass time. Worst feeling ever lol. I always go to Dokuga when there isn't anything to read on FFN.

Has AO3 updated their page in the last 8 years? Does it look different? I haven't been on there in forever.

Logged Logged

Beautifully Wicked
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 6 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 20
They update it often but they also post it everywhere. I follow them on Twitter so I know when they are doing updates. To search on AO3 is the easiest thing ever. I feel like ff.net is such a cluster when you try and search anything.

Logged Logged

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:FFNet vs AO3 6 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 57
As of Friday of last week. I have officially closed my FFNet account. I won't be posting there anymore, so everything that was there has been deleted. I've also cleared out Dokuga and my Deviant art account of everything art and story-related.

I now only post on A03.

I may add more art stuff, to Deviant. I really don't like my inability to delete multiple pieces of art from there though. It's a basic function the site should have. We'll see.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2017/06/22 22:08 By Pyre.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.