Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Web sight idea/ question
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
  • Page:
  • << Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>
TOPIC: Web sight idea/ question
sesshouscat
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Web sight idea/ question 8 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 3
Hello just wanted to bring to the table an idea that I've seen on other fan fictions sight
I some times for get my favorite story or author and I know his sight has a tab for the , stories write. And fan art
But why no tab for favorite stories or authors?
For example if you go to fan fiction dot net and create an account you can save the story or author so you never lose
That story again. And if your a writer your fans can see your portfolio and see your favorite stories as well
I have found some good reads this way
And I think this would be helpful here so why don't we have that option?

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Web sight idea/ question 8 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 53
You're meaning under your profile showing stories you have favorited? Can't answer that. Maybe Wiccan or someone else can. If you're meaning the ones you have favorited, it's under the Fanfiction menu option, on the left side menu bar (There's the 'User Menu' options when you're logged in).

For the former, the only thing I can think of is because they didn't want it shown what stories/authors were favorites under a specific user to the world. A case can be made either way, but I personally prefer the not showing...

I don't think it'd be horribly hard to add another tab to it (at least it didn't seem that way) to add that info. But currently, I don't have time to figure out a way to restrict the viewing of it. For only logged in users it is trivial, but well... anyone can make an account. So adding that isn't something I'd be very thrilled about if I can't find a way to keep it private or restrict the viewing of it.

-M

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Web sight idea/ question 8 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 277
I believe that, if I recall correctly, when Miss Kagura set the site up, she thought that favorites should be only viewable to each user. She didn't like the way that ff.net had theirs set up so that anyone could see what stories/authors a person liked and felt that it led to too much 'fangirling' of certain popular authors and not enough attention paid to those just starting out.

If I'm wrong, or anyone else remembers what the rationale behind it was, feel free to let me know!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Web sight idea/ question 8 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 57
WiccanMethuselah wrote:
I believe that, if I recall correctly, when Miss Kagura set the site up, she thought that favorites should be only viewable to each user. She didn't like the way that ff.net had theirs set up so that anyone could see what stories/authors a person liked and felt that it led to too much 'fangirling' of certain popular authors and not enough attention paid to those just starting out.

If I'm wrong, or anyone else remembers what the rationale behind it was, feel free to let me know!

~~Wiccan~~

Yeah I prefer the favs, especially story favs, being private aka only known by the user. Because it avoids the unpleasantness of having underage Dokugans aka Impressionable Marbles being able to access user-profiles that contain MA-rated favourited stories.

It's not a fool-proof system, sure, I for example on AO3 only leave my G to PG-13 stories viewable on my favourites/bookmarks for other readers to see. I lock everything above PG-13 so that only I can view it.

Gives me a clear conscience.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
sesshouscat
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Web sight idea/ question 8 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 3
XD Yeah I was talking about the ones I favored I keep losing them lol
Maybe there is away it only available to the person who faved them
It might be something the admins could look into that way there is no fangirling
It is just a thought you guys are doing and amazing job

Logged Logged
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
I just looked over this... Not feasible to cleanly implement under the profile. The restrictions available do not give "Profile Owner" as an option. So, I could do a check for that the requesting user is the profile owner user, but the tab would always be visible, even with nothing showing up.

So: www.dokuga.com/fanfiction/favoritestories is your best bet. :/

-M

Logged Logged
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Web sight idea/ question 8 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 38
To be honest, I found some of my favorite stories on other users profiles. writers have the tendency to like stories written by others that are equal in caliber to their own writing or better so if I like what the writer writes then I read their stories and check out their favorites. I wish this was a tool that could be implemented as well but understand if it isn't feasible or it goes against something. It's just one of the conveniences that I personally like and enjoy.

Logged Logged

sesshouscat
Pup
graphgraph
May be there's a way to add the favorite stories as a tab ... Personally I didn't know it existed so others. So others may not be aware as well
.....if some one dose not want to show there favorite story's it could be set to privet like some stories are
Just another thought

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/05/15 21:15 By Sesshoscat.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Catherine Archer wrote:
May be there's a way to add the favorite stories as a tab ... Personally I didn't know it existed so others. So others may not be aware as well
.....if some one dose not want to show there favorite story's it could be set to privet like some stories are
Just another thought

Nah, I'd only be convinced if we could see a working practical application of it running with a basic database and linked webpages.

Volunteers?

Anyone know how to hardcode in php or html?

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Web sight idea/ question 8 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 76
If the profiles tabs are hard coded using Javascript, it wouldn't be hard to set up. Though I'm not sure how you would handle the profile owner variables, or for that matter how you would check that. The time into it wouldn't really be worth it. You can use the Favorite Story/Author feature we have now which works really well for me.

Either way, I can't actually throw any code out but more then likely it would work a bit like this.

1. On profile load, check if user logged in.
2. If there is a user logged in and is profile owner, display favorites (you could possibly set the tab as invisible if it's anyone else.)
3. Else don't display favorites.

The script itself is actually pretty easy. It's just an If statement checking for profile ownership. So long as you can edit the basic HTML or for profile pages, you can drop the script in separate and just load it at the beginning of the execution.

Sorry for all the techo babble. Been trying to get back into webpage design recently and Javascript is my new starting point.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/05/16 06:45 By Knight of Disorder.

My Motto:
Honor mea arma est, timor mea stultitia est.
Respect is my Weapon, Fear is my Folly.

My Belief:
If you can, do. If you can't, try.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Knight of Disorder wrote:
If the profiles tabs are hard coded using Javascript, it wouldn't be hard to set up. Though I'm not sure how you would handle the profile owner variables, or for that matter how you would check that. The time into it wouldn't really be worth it. You can use the Favorite Story/Author feature we have now which works really well for me.

Either way, I can't actually throw any code out but more then likely it would work a bit like this.

2. If there is a user logged in and is profile owner, display favorites (you could possibly set the tab as invisible if it's anyone else.)

The script itself is actually pretty easy. It's just an If statement checking for profile ownership. So long as you can edit the basic HTML or for profile pages, you can drop the script in separate and just load it at the beginning of the execution.

Sorry for all the techo babble. Been trying to get back into webpage design recently and Javascript is my new starting point.

Np, understood most of it.

Me too on the web-building, haven't touched the thing in years. Blargh. I need to start from scratch again. Gonna try a few of the freeware IDEs, plenty of tutes, and hopefully refresh my brain.

XD.

It's been too long.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Pyreite wrote:

Np, understood most of it.

Me too on the web-building, haven't touched the thing in years. Blargh. I need to start from scratch again. Gonna try a few of the freeware IDEs, plenty of tutes, and hopefully refresh my brain.

XD.

It's been too long.

~ Pyre

Try W3schools. That's my go to source for almost all things web design.
HTML,CSS, and PHP are easy. They don't take much and using something like Notepad++ makes it pretty simple if you're hard coding. I never liked using webdesign apps like dreamweaver (I think that's what it's called) but a lot of major design companies use apps and then just edit the code as they need. Kinda cheap in my book.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph

Try W3schools. That's my go to source for almost all things web design.
HTML,CSS, and PHP are easy. They don't take much and using something like Notepad++ makes it pretty simple if you're hard coding. I never liked using webdesign apps like dreamweaver (I think that's what it's called) but a lot of major design companies use apps and then just edit the code as they need. Kinda cheap in my book.

Yeah,

I'll be starting there first off. My basics are rusty. Nods Notepad++ is a good start, been years since I used it. I prefer hardcoding anyway, to start off with, yeah it takes ages, but atleast you get a good grounding in the base coding for calling functions and if statements and all that jazz.

I've tried Dreamweaver. Template planning for webpages. I understood the nuts and bolts but found the app too clunky, though I can understand why businesses use it for their web-stuff. Easy to generate pages from templates. Fast and efficient if they're designed properly. Takes time though, and is a pain if you have no documentation about the planning phase. Don't get me started on that nightmare.

Blargh.

Let's just say its like trying to find a needle in a haystack, provided you know where the haystack is, how tall it is, and what it's made of.

Don't have that than you're toast.

Literally.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph

As much as I hate Javascript, that would make this easier. Site is Joomla + Community Builder. For adding "sections" (tabs) on the profile, I can make it Public/Private, or an admin access according to *its* security settings.

I can do this fine if I had the time. The tab would always show up, but the code for the 'Favorites' listing would do a check on if to display or not. Depending on if the profile class code reads the users profile (kinda dumb but it might), I may be able to add a profile option to make the favorites public/private.

Logged Logged
Misaki
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Web sight idea/ question 8 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 6
That's a great idea! I hope that you can make that happen!

Logged Logged

Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Let me look up how they run their user classes and I might be able to throw together a basic script for you. Head to an interview now so I'll look it up when I get home.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Let me look up how they run their user classes and I might be able to throw together a basic script for you. Head to an interview now so I'll look it up when I get home.

The easiest way appears to be to copy the 'fanfiction' plugin (for the Fanfiction tab), and use that as a base to add in a favorites tab. The code for grabbing the favorites could probably be stolen/shared from the code that pulls the current favorites for the /fanfiction/favoritestories link, but it's a simple SQL join... (not exact but, it gives an idea):

Code:

SELECT title, updated FROM ff WHERE story IN 
  (SELECT fav FROM ff_fav WHERE user = $UID)
ORDER BY updated DESC;

So, over all ... I just need time to implement it. :/

Note: Anyone written an OpenStack Cinder Volume driver (with iSCSI/iSER targets)? I have a brick driver already written and working over the CLI interface... That'll help free up time once I figure out that god awful python spaghetti code mess. *grumble*

-M

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/05/16 16:08 By mitharus.
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Couldn't you just pull the check for the edit profile option and use that?

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Couldn't you just pull the check for the edit profile option and use that?

I'm assuming I can use some of the checks. IIRC, the edit just does a check that the requester is the same ID as the profile, or an admin (both for building out the edit links and then once on them). So, (1) I can build out a tab that pulls the info in and that function checks the permissions, but the tab is always visible even it it doesn't display anything except for the logged in user. Or (2) find a way to work in the framework so that the tab visibility can be changed based on a user setting to make it public/private.

It's the second one that I'd like to implement as it's cleaner. :/

-M

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
If you use java and call it after the CSS you set the whole tab invisible with an if statement. Even if you use that to pull everything else.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
If you use java and call it after the CSS you set the whole tab invisible with an if statement. Even if you use that to pull everything else.

Setting hidden is an option... Might work okay if there's no data, as long as the positioning isn't highly dependent on the visible layout (space where the hidden tab would be).

The only issue is that the div ID could change if the ordering changes... hrmm...

-M

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Java can set conditional visibility as long as you call it after CSS. If you call it before, otherwise the CSS will reset it.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
Mitharus
Admin
graphgraph
Java can set conditional visibility as long as you call it after CSS. If you call it before, otherwise the CSS will reset it.

Right... you're talking about something at the end of the page output that does a check something like:

Code:

// $this == Requested page
if ($this->owner->id != $_REQUEST[USER_ID]) {
  $output .= "<script>\n";
  $output .= "document.getElementById('something').style.visible = 'false'\n";
  $output .= "</script>\n";
}

At least, that's what I'm guessing.

The problem is that the Id 'something' is generated based upon what it thinks the placement is. So, it'll change if any modifications are done. There's an array that I holds that info (see the cbshowtabsArray var in profile page source), but it's only the generated javascript code in the one section.

I'll need to dig through the code that builds out that tab array and see if I can't come up with how it generates the ID. I know the id generated is cbtab##, where ## is the number after the tab name (i.e. 58 for 'favorite fanart'), but it appears that number is variable based upon the placement order. If there's a known DB field I can pull the info from then it doesn't matter.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/05/17 11:04 By mitharus. Reason: I really need to fix the quoting :/
sesshouscat
Pup
graphgraph
I my self only know basic web html ...
When I was I digital design we didn't do too much of Java scripting, guess I should hit the books too
I'm not even sure I still have my books lol
But I'm almost positive that it could be something under a basic code that were looking for
( should have studied more with Java)
Truthfully I wouldn't know were to start I can only do basic web page lay outs
And can read most htmls
But I'm happy to have brought an interesting idea to the table that has brought get savy people
To the table to try this idea out

Logged Logged
Knight of Disorder
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Ah, I get what you're saying. Since it doesn't have a defined element ID that would be universal it turns into a whole other issue.

Does each page generate an array on load for tab layout? If so then you'd have to search the array each time for the generated tab ID, the only problem would be the fact that it wasn't a set ID which means a whole logic chain for deciding which tab you wanted. It might turn into a painful exercise that would take way to much time to implement and not work as well as you wanted it to.

Logged Logged

My Motto:

My Belief:
Go to top
  • Page:
  • << Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.