Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
to stay a geek?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: to stay a geek?
mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
to stay a geek? 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 11
Hi again

I've got a quandary that's sorta been troubling me, and it's whether or not to stay as supermangageek23.

I've been supermangageek a really long time, even though I haven't been on dokuga long, I've been a geek since I've been on the internet, supermangageek was my handle for nearly everything (I mean everything, like even apps and stuff when I had an ipod later on orz;.

And it's funny because when I first got a computer that was able to use the internet, the only sites I went to where sites like disney.com and barbie.com then later mangafox followed by hulu and youtube.

Now here I am doing a thousand different things from the time when I was in 8th grade.

But back to what I was saying, I've been supermangageek for a long time, but after some breakthroughs of sorts, I began to feel my username/handle was embarrassing, that it was kind of childish. That as a once upon a time, self proclaimed otaku, I now cringe at the thought.

But it's really hard to break from it! Because I'm extremely uncreative with coming up with new handles, plus my feelings on whether or not, I want friends on one site to know I use this other site or that other site. For the most part, I've been going my queenlupie or some variant with my mark of 23.

((my new dA, and my aff are the exceptions))

A part of me doesn't wanna let go and just wants to be the geek for my fanfic sites, but the other part of me wants to let go, to show I'm moving on a bit and growing up.

What are your thoughts?

One a side note, I've been looking for a site to pull all my other sites together, I was originally thinking of livejournal to do this, but lately feel more tempted to just make a weebly, so I can have full character profiles and stuff for my ocs.

Thoughts on this would be appreciated as well!

Logged Logged

Supermangageek23 is Bucket 88.5 in Dokugas Bucket Brigade
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:to stay a geek? 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 277
I know how you must feel, I think.

I've been WiccanMethuselah since 2004. That's kinda a long time, for me anyway. I chose this name when I was head over heels about Witch Hunter Robin, and never bothered to change it to something more fitting when I switched to InuYasha.

I'm not a real Wiccan, but I am old and, for a fandom that's mostly the young'uns, I've been one of the older ones for a while. I've played with changing my nym forever, but ultimately decided that I've been around too long to do it now.

Besides, who's going to sit up and take notice if I suddenly decided to call myself MissCupcake, or something like that? LOL!

I think it's totally up to you, although I will have a bit of a problem trying to remember that it's YOU, ya know? I mean, what with being old and all... I can understand the desire to go past the otaku that you were and choose something that appeals to the adult that you are, however. Let us know what you ultimately choose, and we'll roll with it, just don't forget about us here, 'k?

~~Wiccan~~
PS - I've always kinda liked 'supermangageek,' FYI!!

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Walter205
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:to stay a geek? 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 52
I can understand where you're coming from. You'd like something that best represents how you are right now, but you'd like the recognition that comes with using the name you've been using for a while and plus, it's been who you've been known as on the internet for a while now.

When I first started getting into writing, it was with RPing on a Star Wars based website. Back then I went under the moniker Admiral Kraken and still do (to some extent) to this day for those forums. But when I started writing fanfiction I decided to go with Walter and haven't looked back for that. Same goes with gaming; Started out with Kraken, have since branched out into Decimator and Dominatrix, although the former of the two is used by far more often.

Logged Logged

bookgirl813
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:to stay a geek? 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 76
From my personal experience, having changed pen names a few times, I've actually gone back to my original one starting from 2009 (which in this world, hasn't been that long) finding that people recognize the original more than any of my alternatives.

Whether it's inconvenient for your followers to figure out who the 'new you' is, you inevitably have to be comfortable by the moniker you choose. If you feel you've outgrown supermangageek and want to go for a change, then by all means do so as that is your choice. But it supmermangageek that people will always remember - it kinda stands out in a good way

Logged Logged
Panther
Pup
graphgraph
Re:to stay a geek? 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 2
I think most of us have been through this at some point (who hasn't had absolutely ridiculous names on Messenger or Hotmail, or used nicks referencing some sort of geekishness we were going through?).
I myself have personally always had a tough time settling on a single username for all my sites, mostly because I couldn't find THE username (silly, I know), but about two years ago I cooked up Panthera Obscura and it's been either that or Dark Panther since.

I'd tell you to not overthink it as I've done and go with what you're the most comfortable.
If your old username makes you uncomfortable because you find it infantile, go ahead and change it. If the idea of a new username makes you uncomfortable, then just stick with the old one.

If you do decide on changing it in the end, you could always go with something not so "geek-specific", or create your own Dokugasona and a name to go with your alternative character. Something you favor, or condider intrinsic of you (I personally always enjoy cross-referencing Norse or Greek mythology, each to his/her own ).

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2015/03/08 16:15 By DarkPanther.
Kagome Yuki Niwa
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:to stay a geek? 9 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 38
This is a hard one - because I FEEL YOU ON SO MANY LEVELS.

Clearly... I'm not Kagome.

I'm not even Japanese.

This is a ten year old pen name from MIDDLE SCHOOL and it burns in so many ways. I want to change it every day but it's hard because everything, all my banners, and awards and fans all associate THIS username with my stories. It's always a hard transition to make BUT let me tell you a thing. I won't change my name for those reasons but if you are truly unhappy with your pen name then DO IT.

CHANGE IT.

AND LET ME LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOU.

Logged Logged

mangageek
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:to stay a geek? 9 Years ago Karma: 11
Thank you guys for all your insight and advice!!

It really does help a lot, still being supermangageek isn't too bad, though I do cringe everytime because i made my gmail account with it OTL (ultimate fail) but luckily it's a side account/for story writing and what not. (though it keeps urging me to make a g+ ugh no)

I guess my name change sorta stems from the thought that I have to constantly downsize, like I'm always feeling like I have way too many accounts for stuff, though I don't think I do actually? sorta? maybe? uhhh

anyway, for the most part, I'll stay a geek for my fics and stuff

at least I can say I changed my da name (will this count enough yukiniwa? huehue)

Logged Logged

Supermangageek23 is Bucket 88.5 in Dokugas Bucket Brigade
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.